NECROMANCY AMENDMENT / CLARIFICATIONS - THE HENS COME HOME TO ROOST.

femurlord

While I understand why you would remove a corcs youthfulness, don't be boring and just say it doesn't work, throw a spin on it!

Maybe corc's youth tries to work against a necros aging and in turn the body deteriorates and slowly they become outwardly more undead! or maybe the more the wither the more undead they appear, idk, just since the player is stuck between eventually having two feeding mechanics be placed on em, give em a small rewards or a unique flavor.

Don't just remove it, make stuff fun to combine :D

19 hours ago, ChaoticallyCheshire said:

I think the idea that necro's must be dark and spooky at all times to be just. . . Edgy. I've been on the server since 2015 and have hung out with fellow necro's in the past. Whilst they obviously need to be on the evil scale of alignment chart and are in fact deplorable beings I do think some don't see themselves as such.

Having all necromancers be unromanceable dark people who hate anything nice, only wear dark colors and go "gahh! No! Feelins bad" is rather one dimensional. It doesn't allow for character growth and gives you a small amount of ways you can actually rp on that character. I personally don't see limiting ones self to such a degree necessary. So unfortunately I am going to -1 this. 

A figment of energy that has travelled impossible distances enters my computer so that it can be formed into the discord logs of my necromancer having electronic s*x in the petra/honkmat bath-house

7 hours ago, Markisstreaming said:

since when are necros corpses?

necros as they go from tier to tier begin to fall apart, with their lips turning black, eyes aging, and nails fall off. I will let you imagine what that means for the reproductive abilities of a person when a physical body ages well beyond a hundred years of age, not to mention the effects of sickness, or the deprivation of life-force. [Edited]

I think the fair thing to do would be to have one's ability to love (purely emotionally) shrink as one progresses through the tiers, and instead be replaced by some other form of more cynical, psychotic form. 

If you want to play a necro, you might as well go the full implications that go hand in hand with learning a forbidden science stolen from a god. 

37 minutes ago, Jentos said:

necros as they go from tier to tier begin to fall apart, with their lips turning black, eyes aging, their fingers rot and nails fall off. I will let you imagine what that means for the reproductive abilities of a person. 

they age unnaturally, not rot. big difference

1 hour ago, Jentos said:

I think the fair thing to do would be to have one's ability to love (purely emotionally) shrink as one progresses through the tiers, and instead be replaced by some other form of more cynical, psychotic form. 

If you want to play a necro, you might as well go the full implications that go hand in hand with learning a forbidden science stolen from a god. 

Get this man a true!

It is tough to believe that you currently can go from stitching together rotting abominations and sapping the life force of others to sustain yourself and then go to kissy-kissy rp. Necromancy doesn’t make full sense to have with romance. They are the antithesis to mostly anything good. Lots of spells and features the magic brings to the table are set on inflicting misery, even the cauterization which keeps someone from dying is painful and debilitating for the day to both parties. If you signed up for necromancy and thought you could try and be a normal descendant with a normal life than that is crazy.

8 hours ago, Markisstreaming said:

lore doesn't say anything on that, and it also doesn't say anything on a wound on their soul. it says that a necromancer's lifeforce never truly grows, rather they become more adept at controlling it. it never says anything on them losing lifeforce. if you're talking about the darkening redline about it, it's because they get addicted to the feeling, and become miserable when it is taken away. not because they need it to survive.

this would align with your necro re-write, if it were accepted, but it is not, and it simply doesn't make sense currently.

I don't see the point of this amendment. just because you want to have this for yourself doesn't mean it'll be good for the community as a whole. Like Chesire said, necro can give a lot of ways for character development besides 'ooooh look at me I'm evil'. if we're gonna deny people their RP niche, then we'll have bland and edgy necros running around.

In conclusion, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it should be removed.

2e8b431ad954bf6748db934ff922700b.thumb.png.35ac8fc17b37b40e798ca6192b39fd58.png

The position that declining romance from an otherwise rapidly aging person, that takes on the twisted urge to devour their fellow man, growing into a shell of their former selves due to the sacrifice they've given in-order to master the art stolen from Iblees is bizzarre. Depth is not found solely in romance. By no way does it limit the development of a character or the ambitions, ideas and greater narrative they are able to pursue. Rather this amendment is made for people to abide by, but rather the certain facet I limit has no place in what the magic is itself, which at its epitome, Archlichdom, entirely rids the character of their emotions and moral compass to foster their own take upon the world, uncaring to those that live within it.

For a magic whose end-goal is the death of that character and being re-birthed into something otherworldly, the time spent on romance is baffling, when actual compelling storylines can be made without it, and have. These claims I have read that removing their ability to share companionship with another ruins their character, despite having sacrificed their soul to an otherworldly source of energy and have permanently blackened it in-order to tame life and death is just out of this world. I believe I have tackled a much more greater issue than players are willing to admit, but I suggest that people turn to reading this to understand the host of things that a necromancer becomes and read lore compared to squirting out half-baked thoughts to defend the wool-block kissy-kissy menace:

With what actual commentary that is useful I've seen here, I am considering re-working a few aspects and to that, I am thankful your your input. @Jentos@TheCaptain@Samler@ClassyDryad

19 hours ago, ChaoticallyCheshire said:

I think the idea that necro's must be dark and spooky at all times to be just. . . Edgy. I've been on the server since 2015 and have hung out with fellow necro's in the past. Whilst they obviously need to be on the evil scale of alignment chart and are in fact deplorable beings I do think some don't see themselves as such.

Having all necromancers be unromanceable dark people who hate anything nice, only wear dark colors and go "gahh! No! Feelins bad" is rather one dimensional. It doesn't allow for character growth and gives you a small amount of ways you can actually rp on that character. I personally don't see limiting ones self to such a degree necessary. So unfortunately I am going to -1 this. 

I guess I’ll respond to this since it’s one of the only comments actually making a case against the amendment.

While not all necromancers are considerably evil, the act of practicing a magic centered around the tampering of corpses brings with it both physical and mental barriers that dehumanize necromancers from other mortals. The magic itself ages the necromancer, worsening with each tier as they master their art. By tier 3 the necromancer is already geriatric- bringing with it the obvious bane of impotence. Even outside of the effects of the magic, the very effect of puppeting corpses, feasting on people’s lifeforce, and molding flesh like clay would hold substantial mental effects, ranging in many different ways depending on the necro. Some would have trauma, others would have their egos fed by the power- either way, the longer they practice the magic the more human emotions and relationships grow distant. This is not to say necromancers cannot love, or cannot lust- but that they simply are unable to act upon these emotions, whether due to impotence, or by the despicable actions of the magic that would constantly build that psychological barrier between them. This can be roleplayed as a once-perfect father slowly growing distant to his wife and kids, perhaps even growing to disdain them. There’s far more story that can be built with conflict, rather than hugbox love rp.

People should not expect to roleplay a character that regularly cuts opens people or who sees rotting liches and darkstalkes walking capable holding mundane social relationships. Necromancers are not one dimensional simply because they are unable or unwilling to romance- it’s silly to perceive lust as some requirement for a well rounded character. Many LotCers prefer to never engage in romance RP, mostly because of the increasing playerbase of young, impressionable kids on the server.

Character growth is also not restricted to romance- necromancers can still be fond of another mortal (even barring all the obvious reasons both in the magic and psychologically why it wouldn’t work well.) This amendment gives the in-lore justification as for why necromancers are unable to sire children, and as to why they lack the ability to truly “love.” It feels like a false equivalence to say no romance = no room for your character to grow. Much of the necro playerbase and I opt to find the hundreds of other ways to advance and flesh out our characters. So far most of the covens have survived with little to no romance RP, and it has always been reasoned that necromancy, the undead corpse magic, would generally get in the way of love. 

20 hours ago, Tabby64 said:

Read the voidal connection lore "Mages who practice magic for one or more OOC months cannot wear full plate effectively, and at best are limited to half-plate or some light gambeson." Femurlord's lore says that after a certain tier they're limited to gambeson. There is no issue with the lore here. 

"Once a mage has reached about three OOC months of casting would find themselves unable to cast in anything heavier than gambeson, struggling to connect and maintain their breath in heavy plate."

17 minutes ago, Samler said:

"Once a mage has reached about three OOC months of casting would find themselves unable to cast in anything heavier than gambeson, struggling to connect and maintain their breath in heavy plate."

Why are you just copying me? 

6 minutes ago, Tabby64 said:

Why are you just copying me? 

Because you only took the first part, not looking at the real last part of that section. None the less, the guy will take it into consideration, my duty is done. :)

3 minutes ago, Samler said:

Because you only took the first part, not looking at the real last part of that section. None the less, the guy will take it into consideration, my duty is done. :)

It doesn't matter that i left out the last part? What i was saying is that you're flat out wrong. In his amendment it says that up until t3 it can use half plate. Thats similar/same to the voidal connection lore so I am unsure why you mentioned it. 

7 hours ago, TheCaptain said:

Maybe corc's youth tries to work against a necros aging and in turn the body deteriorates and slowly they become outwardly more undead! or maybe the more the wither the more undead they appear, idk, just since the player is stuck between eventually having two feeding mechanics be placed on em, give em a small rewards or a unique flavor.

this guys on to something

giphy.gif

On 10/30/2023 at 8:47 PM, ChaoticallyCheshire said:

On 10/31/2023 at 8:45 AM, Markisstreaming said:

lore doesn't say anything on that, and it also doesn't say anything on a wound on their soul. it says that a necromancer's lifeforce never truly grows, rather they become more adept at controlling it. it never says anything on them losing lifeforce. if you're talking about the darkening redline about it, it's because they get addicted to the feeling, and become miserable when it is taken away. not because they need it to survive.

this would align with your necro re-write, if it were accepted, but it is not, and it simply doesn't make sense currently.

I don't see the point of this amendment. just because you want to have this for yourself doesn't mean it'll be good for the community as a whole. Like Chesire said, necro can give a lot of ways for character development besides 'ooooh look at me I'm evil'. if we're gonna deny people their RP niche, then we'll have bland and edgy necros running around.

In conclusion, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it should be removed.

image.png?ex=655403de&is=65418ede&hm=702

if you take up the mantle of rp'ing a server villain who cuts open corpses and has slowly rotting and aging flesh idk why you're saying to yourselves 'surely the best path for character development is romance rp'. like if you can't conceive of any other way to rp and produce character development other than romance rp ('It doesn't allow for character growth' 'then we'll have bland and edgy necros running around' 'I personally don't see limiting oneself to such a degree necessary') then you are beyond saving and should be struck away from the earth through divine intervention. as if not being able to romance rp is somehow 'limiting' to your character; there are oodles of ways to roleplay an interesting villain without having to resort to kissy smoochy rp, and if you lack the creative imagination to admit such then I'm afraid you don't deserve the narrative gift that you've been given

you are villains, act like them; surely that is doable in an interesting manner without saying 'oh dearie me, my lover abandoned me because I'm a slowly rotting servant of the devil who's aging at a rapid rate and cuts open corpses on the regular and murders people' 

because unless you are romance rping with a ******* weirdo that is what will inevitably happen

3 hours ago, satinkira said:

image.png?ex=655403de&is=65418ede&hm=702

if you take up the mantle of rp'ing a server villain who cuts open corpses and has slowly rotting and aging flesh idk why you're saying to yourselves 'surely the best path for character development is romance rp'. like if you can't conceive of any other way to rp and produce character development other than romance rp ('It doesn't allow for character growth' 'then we'll have bland and edgy necros running around' 'I personally don't see limiting oneself to such a degree necessary') then you are beyond saving and should be struck away from the earth through divine intervention. as if not being able to romance rp is somehow 'limiting' to your character; there are oodles of ways to roleplay an interesting villain without having to resort to kissy smoochy rp, and if you lack the creative imagination to admit such then I'm afraid you don't deserve the narrative gift that you've been given

you are villains, act like them; surely that is doable in an interesting manner without saying 'oh dearie me, my lover abandoned me because I'm a slowly rotting servant of the devil who's aging at a rapid rate and cuts open corpses on the regular and murders people' 

because unless you are romance rping with a ******* weirdo that is what will inevitably happen

Okay. While I think BBEG darkspawn being slice of life uwu characters is lame I will say. Just because someone roleplays something evil doesn't immediately mean that that character would have no heart/want an emotional connection to something/etc. It isn't that they can't see any other route to character development but rather I think that its just one of many routes used to help develop a character. Even a lot of serial killers were married with kids irl. 

That said, I 100% support making things like this unromanceable because on lotc a lot of people who start doing romance ONLY end up doing romance or the 'hes evil but I fixed him' trope. It's unfortunate. 

On 10/30/2023 at 11:41 PM, monkeypoacher said:

why do you in particular and lord of the craft players in general enter preemptive strike defense mode every time "romance" is mentioned? you have to get how obvious that is as a projection

isn't it banned (or at least severely frowned upon) to roleplay anything more than an acknowledging nod anyway? are there groomers in the walls? what am i missing

dont care either way about the redline just wish u would flesh out the psychology of it a little. i think it could be interesting (and more than a throwaway piece of red text) if necromancers lost touch with their mortal motivations in general

People that want ftbing with corpsemancers banned aren't projecting, don't see the need to explain the psychology when it's stated in-post that they are corpses. I've seen myself that necros have said weird shit about their characters and shared weirder art when in covens that didn't already enforce the no romance, no FTB rp that the Iblees coven did. Unfortunately it is a prevalent enough issue.