H

24 minutes ago, H said:

[Combative/Non-Combative] - Amped Reflexes

A mage can force a very low level of lightning to flow throughout their body, directly firing their muscle fibers with tiny amounts of Voidal Lightning. This allows them, for a split second, to react as fast as they can think; far faster than their nervous system and body would normally allow. Such is done to dodge, catch, or bat away projectiles that are flung towards them. Outside of combat, this can be used to quickly boost a mage’s reflexes - for example, to win at carnival games. 

While no one magic should have a monopoly on certain combat mechanics, this alongside the 'Lightning Step' do sound very similar in concept and application to the paladin 'Stalker Step'. Furthermore, whilst I enjoy the concept of lightning evocation, I do feel the manoueverability this rewrite offers greatly mitigates one of the established weaknesses of mages, that being their vulnerability to physical strikes and their mental focus being shattered by distractions. If you are to go down this route, I would personally suggest that the amount of slots this magic requires be raised to 2 at least.

Overall, your formatting is excellent and I appreciate the effort you put into expanding upon the aesthetic value of the magic. I simply worry about the balancing of the mechanics.

Here is the Paladin lore if you would like to read it:

Spoiler

The_Screaming_Cat.thumb.webp.77c36cc0604d3c8ec0e59d00e57fe716.webp

24 minutes ago, Jaxothy said:

Can't wait for it to get denied because the ST hate sith rp >:(

I cant wait for it either

7 minutes ago, Andustar said:

While no one magic should have a monopoly on certain combat mechanics, this alongside the 'Lightning Step' do sound very similar in concept and application to the paladin 'Stalker Step'. Furthermore, whilst I enjoy the concept of lightning evocation, I do feel the manoueverability this rewrite offers greatly mitigates one of the established weaknesses of mages, that being their vulnerability to physical strikes and their mental focus being shattered by distractions. If you are to go down this route, I would personally suggest that the amount of slots this magic requires be raised to 2 at least.

Overall, your formatting is excellent and I appreciate the effort you put into expanding upon the aesthetic value of the magic. I simply worry about the balancing of the mechanics.

Here is the Paladin lore if you would like to read it:

Reveal hidden contents

Correction

This is like  Acuity potion but voidal. Stalker step allows us to move faster. I can see Lightning step being something similar, however there are some differences between these.

image.jpeg.00f5a7f4cef91ba51f7fbc18dd29dafc.jpeg
H moment

5 minutes ago, Andustar said:

-snip-

I appreciate the kind words and the feedback! 'Amped Reflexes' is balanced around the Air Evocation 'Redirect' spell, which does effectively the exact same thing at time of writing. (1 connect + 1 cast, redirect projectiles). The intent is for Amped Reflexes to be an alternative way of accomplishing this with fun flavor.

As for Lightning Step, our hope is that the complete inability to move after 2 turns of boosted movement, along with the existence of Translocation spells (which currently allow for a voidal mage to instantly blink 12 meters in a single emote, 16 meters with one emote of preparation, or 32 meters with two emotes of preparation - or double all of those distances with the use of a focus) make this spell a useful, but not overly strong alternative.

In terms of covering ground, a translocationist vs. a lightning evocationist might look something like this, assuming both void mages are already connected:

Spoiler

Emote 1: Translocationist forms anchor, Lightning Evocationist prepares the cast. If moving, the Lightning Evocationist can cover 4 blocks.

Emote 2: Translocationist can now either teleport 16 blocks (including in response to incoming spells or attacks), or 32 blocks with a focus. Lightning evocationist can cover 8 blocks, which in addition to the previous 4 makes 12.

Emote 3: Translocationist, if they haven't already teleported, can add one more emote to double their distance, making 64 blocks. Lightning evocationist can cover another 8 blocks, making 20 total.

Emote 4: Translocationist can theoretically Brisk Step another 12 blocks instantly after the 64 block minor teleport, making 76 blocks of distance, or 88 blocks by using a focus with Brisk Step. Lightning Evocationist is immobile due to fatigue, and still at 20.

We also considered the outcome of Lightning Step vs. a non-mage:

Spoiler

Emote 1: Regular Swordsman sprints 8 blocks. Lightning Evocationist can move up to 4 while casting Lightning Step but cannot attack either (because they're preparing Lightning Step).

Emote 2: Regular swordsman sprints another 8 blocks for a total of 16, or can move 4 while attacking for a total of 12. Lightning evocationist can move 8 while attacking for a total of 12.

Emote 3: Regular swordsman can sprint another 8 blocks for a total of 24, or can move 4 while attacking (total of 16 or 20 depending on last turn). Lightning evocationist can sprint another 8 blocks for a total of 20 while attacking.

Emote 4: Regular swordsman can sprint another 8 blocks for a total of 32, or can move 4 while attacking (total 20, 24, or 28 based on previous turns). Lightning evocationist is fatigued and immobile now, for a total of 20 (no movement).

In this instance we're hoping this would also be considered balanced.

In addition, Lightning Step prevents the mage from casting any spell other than Amped Reflexes for its duration, which we intended as another balancing measure. 

Spoiler

Should this lore get accepted, Im already not looking forward to people arguing about how many charges they have on themselves

3 minutes ago, H said:

-snip snip-

I appreciate the clarification on these mechanics and I wish you luck!

6 minutes ago, Direswift said:

Should this lore get accepted, Im already not looking forward to people arguing about how many charges they have on themselves

The mage will be keeping track of the Static charges on people. They must emote how many charges are being added to someone when a spell hits them. This makes it easy for LT/Mods to go back through omni to see when Static is applied. Also, people like me who have their minecraft logs running in the background will also be able to look back through them to see when Static is applied

i should be able to turn off all these spells with leather boots

I mean, Its a cool concept. Needs some balancing and the way lightning explained is way off, the fact that lightning is electricity is a common misconception because they look similar, its heat. What I think would be cool, since the premise of discovering this magic is experimentation, would be instead of making an evocation to make voidal magic further unbalanced and op (I say this as a voidal mage, we all know it's unfair to the others) make it a feat, which could be obtained with a high enough fire and air evocation level, like how lightning actually comes to be. But still, nicely written and a lot of cool ideas for spells, but combine this with translocation and you have god. So minus one from me :)

I think everything except Amped reflexes and lightning step is cool.