Discussion on Aurum Testing

Diogen

6 minutes ago, rukio said:

I have spent hours/days hunting people down and the moment they have seen me and gotten away, even ten minutes later, they have a new disguise. Alchemy is cool and all but my god. When you can escape all consequence with transformations that are CA based or alchemy based it just makes for less dynamic RP.  I say this as someone who's character's appearance changed via alchemy. (once). 

it is incredibly unfair people can put in the rp in discovering somebody, only for them to return in a brand new disguise, it defeats the entire point, a disguise should be used to conceal their true identity, they should only have the ability to have one disguise, use it wisely

i recall chasing a frost witch through haense, only for them to go behind a door, change skins 'change disguise' in seconds and then emerge and we couldn't do anything, its simply unfair

Edited by ReveredOwl

Agreeing with rukio. I played a vampire for months who was hunted and never changed identities, even when I was cornered. It’s called good faith and dynamic roleplay. Don’t just change identities when people know irply and you know they know oocly. It’s a sub tier response.

2 hours ago, Islamadon said:

I am LECTOR.

That's right! My opinion matters most here since 80% of modern people who do spook testing read my minecraft book and now they bang blocks together like a primitive who learned that fire is hot! That's right, I've seen all of you with my book in your libraries! That's right, I've seen you Haensemen who made a plagiarized doc with the only new content being added images!

To this day you still come to my cozy Japanese weeb city and go:  "ERM, LECTUR, PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO KILL DEMON! IT NOT IN DA BOOK!"

Aurum testing is fine as it is, players are just cringe and like to test without zero prompt. That said, you little spook people give me plenty of reasons to test you! You look like Hot Topic Emos. You spout esoteric Xion slop. You openly defend weird bloodsucking bat people. You try to slander guards and holies. You nerdpost everything. Frankly, no one likes the cut of your jib but yourself! The Dark RP you seek to generate isn't real it's a mask for power fantasy.

Be more discreet and you won't be tested as often. Aurum just requires deep cuts and you can play it off by going "OWIE ZOWIE THAT STUNG OWIE" because you just got deeply cut. Peter Griffin seethed for a whole thirty seconds because he tripped and bumped his knee.

TL;DR players shouldn't test without prompt but spooks are delusional if they think they give zero prompt because their entire chosen personality and aesthetic are red flags.

Realist thing i've ever read.

1 hour ago, Haseroth said:

If you dont like aurum testing then that feels like a great cause to lobby for in roleplay. As some others have stated, it is a ludicrous act and so you may have a case against it in roleplay. I would prefer if people just advocated against it that way rather than having it ooc banned.

Honestly that would be absolutely the best way to resolve the issue of Blood Testing without needing to effectively remove it or make certain Dark MA/CAs require entirely different methods of being exposed (which would be fun, ngl. Having a single testing method for all spookies feels a little like a missed opportunity, but that's just me being dumb).

In either case, speaking from experience, the main reason why people, tester and testie alike barely ever RP the pain of the test, or never really object to It, is because after like 5th daily Blood Test...you just give up and acknowledge that It's a waste of time OOCly to argue for up to an hour that you are not a darkspawn and that slashing people's hand open is rather "morally dubious"  to people wearing a full set of armour and who will cut you down on the spot because they think you are a maneating gnome of Iblees.

Back in Almaris for example, before one of my characters ever needed to worry about Blood Tests, they would happen so frequently that it started getting banal, every time you need to enter a city? Blood Test, again and again and no matter what you did or say, nothing would ever change their minds. Like I keep hearing people say that "There are way to avoid being tested" but every single time I've seen someone object to a Blood Test, even in cases were there was no reason for them to be tested to begin with other than random check up, the scenario always ended with them being restrained by 3 different guards and forcefully tested....And when it fails, nobody even says anything and they just let them go without an issue.. I am guessing this should be the part where someone presses charges against the guards, buut let's be honest, good luck finding a lawer good enough that actually manages anything when blood tests in their current form are fully legal by most if not all cities and you'd  be called a darkspawn cooperator if you tried to argue against them.

31 minutes ago, ReveredOwl said:

why have a weakness that you're then going to try and remove when its uncovered

This would be a good point if most dark CA's didn't have the ability to change their disguise to someone entirely new when uncovered, the fact they can just change their disguise if they are uncovered is incredibly stupid and unfair

You have been saying this a bunch across many different parts of the forum....And honestly what do you feel should be happening to begin with? Like should a dark CA, something that is entirely permanent and irreversible and takes irl months of rigorous RP to attain, be pretty much gutted in its entirety if one person manages to expose them?

Should Darkspawn not have said replaceable disguises, would lead to that in the event of them getting exposed they might as well be condemning said End-Game CA character to being shelved or just PKed because from that point on there's no interaction outside their lair other than being a CRP machines as people have already said many times to this.

Now, as for this whole Idea that there are "no consequences" to being expose. That is straight up lies, exposing a disguise means that all the contacts, all the work, all the property, power and authority they publicly wielded, as well as all the good standing said individual disguise may have attained...Is washed down the drain, forcing the spooky spookem to start once more from Scratch in their attempts to infiltrate a nation or even to do something as simple as have a house of their own again.

Just because you don't get to pretty much PK an entire Dark CA Character because a blood test worked doesn't, mean that the individual hasn't lost anything at all. For some it can mean months worth of subtle RP of attempting to intergrade into a community being erased entirely. And obviously, the creatures that have the ability to replace their disguises like this, are also the ones that are most susceptible to Blood Test or that have easier tells to be exposed, so I think it balances things out.

Edited by Agy

I personally believe in shift-clicking a person and/or searching their forum account for any traces of spookery before I interact with them, and if I do find anything I guard default pvp them

34 minutes ago, Agy said:

Just because you don't get to pretty much PK an entire Dark CA Character because a blood test worked

Being outed darkspawn isn’t the same as getting force-PKed since you still have lairs to live in and all of your dark magic powers for CRP (some of which are quite strong) as well as CRP default to use it with to boot.

23 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Being outed darkspawn isn’t the same as getting force-PKed since you still have lairs to live in and all of your dark magic powers for CRP (some of which are quite strong) as well as CRP default to use it with to boot.

Yeah, that's what I mean.

That's all you can do anymore.

And believe it or not, but most people don't enjoy this being the only kind of interaction they are able to do, or simpler yet, not everyone has an active community or lair to go back to should they be permanently exposed

The problem with being ousted and having to make a new disguise isnt that your spook doesn't die. It means that people no longer trust the new disguise cause ITS BASICALLY A NEW PERSON. Your starting from scratch! No contacts, no friends, no access. You need to start from scratch to infiltrate an order, nation, military, council etc. It takes time to go from a levy soldier to the military's general for example. YES you can change disguise and get away from the consequence of death but you still LOSE a lot. You do. 

39 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

His argument also ignores the fact that most all darkspawn CAs have a respawn mechanism that make them immortal and only PKable by their own playerbase these days. 

1 hour ago, rukio said:

I have spent hours/days hunting people down and the moment they have seen me and gotten away, even ten minutes later, they have a new disguise. Alchemy is cool and all but my god. When you can escape all consequence with transformations that are CA based or alchemy based it just makes for less dynamic RP.  I say this as someone who's character's appearance changed via alchemy. (once). 

Me when my Demon hides in a bowie cloak and I pretend to be a voidal construct (It's worked)

4 hours ago, MadOne said:

This is so true btw to the point where I can without any metagaming whatsoever take a look at your skin and guess your dark magic CA with %99 accuracy, if you want not to be tested i think you should dress like a farmer or an ordinary guy or something like @Traveller did with his vampires often, but if I see you in red flaming robes and a white evil looking mask as an elf who talks about anti-establishment things It's really a no brainer that you must be some sort of a punk

why would u mention this guy he's a loser rper??????

jokes aside it's true tho half of u mfers dress like ur the next dc villain

i think aurum testing is good for server like most ppl here, but i also think it's silly how much it gets abused

most people dont even know about the (semi-recent) updated redlines where aurum testing pin pricks doesnt do anything

there should be some sort of limitation to cringe salt rp though. //pulls salt out of ass//

I feel like nations should collaborate with darkspawn oocly to grant them access outside of traditional means to skirt things like gold testing.

1 hour ago, Agy said:

Yeah, that's what I mean.

That's all you can do anymore.

And believe it or not, but most people don't enjoy this being the only kind of interaction they are able to do

You can have multiple characters if you want to play something other than a darkspawn to engage in slice of life RP or whatever.

I think any respawn spook CA with disguisung complaining about anything is LAME!!

Needing to slice an entire palm/hand open just to spook test is just flat cringe.