[Debate] Is Guerrilla Warfare/Insurgency RP effective on LOTC?

Javert

Is Guerrilla Warfare effective?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Is Guerrilla Warfare effective?

• Yes
    • No

Gentlemen, your friendly neighborhood CT member has arrived once more with a random question for everyone. Do you believe that Guerilla Warfare/Insurgency RP is effective? Now, let's define "effective" in this context. By "effective", I mean bringing about the intended change that the Insurgency/Guerrillas originally set out for. From what I remember (and based on what oldheads have told me), Guerrilla warfare/Insurgencies aren't and weren't used very frequently over the course of the Server's history. But, when they do happen, I feel like they can be an outlet for strong RP. Let me know what you think and feel free to debate as much as you want! Just don't get too heated please.

I think they can be effective if done right, though I guess that's how everything is. But like guerilla warfare could work, but the only problem is they tend to be like a lot smaller and if they are smaller, it's easier to frame these groups of fringe, and well no one likes being fring. Also, with guerilla warfare, it's kind of hard and often unnecssary unless there needs to be a point where violence would need to where peole need to feel violent to achevie their goals. 

no, not at all. Think about Veletz in the Veletz + allies v Coaltion war. They lost every warclaim (but 1), however  they were certainly beating the nations in morale both IRP and OOC, and also were beating them in every single raid. If that type of RP held any effect, the war would've surely turned out differently.

But unfortunately banditting, and ambushes hold 0 advantage as you can simply see name tags, and if that doesnt happen, someone will just see it as a metarally or an annoying encounter, /d20, and ignore that it ever happened.

Only way this would work would be with consenting parties, and only time I seen it work was between two communities that were rivals IRP, but chill with eachother OOC.

du loc

3 minutes ago, Jihnyny said:

no, not at all. Think about Veletz in the Veletz + allies v Coaltion war. They lost every warclaim (but 1), however  they were certainly beating the nations in morale both IRP and OOC, and also were beating them in every single raid. If that type of RP held any effect, the war would've surely turned out differently.

But unfortunately banditting, and ambushes hold 0 advantage as you can simply see name tags, and if that doesnt happen, someone will just see it as a metarally or an annoying encounter, /d20, and ignore that it ever happened.

Only way this would work would be with consenting parties, and only time I seen it work was between two communities that were rivals IRP, but chill with eachother OOC.

OIP.png?ex=65d53d5d&is=65c2c85d&hm=402b9

insurgents can never win b/c the setup around warfare is designed for large pitched battles (warclaims) deciding everything in the conflict. This naturally does not favor insurgents.

51 minutes ago, Javert said:

Gentlemen, your friendly neighborhood CT member has arrived once more with a random question for everyone. Do you believe that Guerilla Warfare/Insurgency RP is effective? Now, let's define "effective" in this context. By "effective", I mean bringing about the intended change that the Insurgency/Guerrillas originally set out for. From what I remember (and based on what oldheads have told me), Guerrilla warfare/Insurgencies aren't and weren't used very frequently over the course of the Server's history. But, when they do happen, I feel like they can be an outlet for strong RP. Let me know what you think and feel free to debate as much as you want! Just don't get too heated please.

the MRA

I rest my case

54 minutes ago, Jihnyny said:

this

I’ve done guerilla campaigns multiple times to advantageous effect, but only when the enemy is unconfident and extremely ineffective. 

Yes. Against Balian, and Hyspia, and Aaun and Petra. Haense usually rallies a 20 man army to hunt you down, though.

1 hour ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

insurgents can never win b/c the setup around warfare is designed for large pitched battles (warclaims) deciding everything in the conflict. This naturally does not favor insurgents.

Guerilla warfare does not work. Especially since no one pks

Interesting RP to be had from it, but as others have said it's not actually effective at winning you the war unless you basically just OOCly demoralize your enemy. In which case... kinda lame.

That being said, the culture on the server has very little "This is a fun and interesting idea" and a lot of "Is this effective to us winning" when it comes to wars/politics. Not even the player's fault, they need to protect their realms or nations. Very sad.

I don't think I ever saw the Hou-zi raid??