Two emote bows?

SimplySeo

How many emotes should it take to use a bow in CRP  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Emote count

Maybe reduce the emote count on short bows, but longbows/recurve bows? Crazy! 

To be honest I think it should work like magic a bit, three emotes for the first one (magic connection/getting the bow out comparison) and then two after, so 3 emotes for your first bow shot, two for the following ones. 

I also like samler's suggestion of fewer/more emotes for different types of bows.

Alternatively, let archers have further block movement per emote to help them stay out of melee, i.e. 6 blocks instead of four or something.

11 minutes ago, Epicethan4 said:

I would prefer if it stays three because I have Disjointed Conjuration which means I can shoot projectiles in two emotes after connection. If everyone gets to shoot bows at 2, then my relative power compared to everyone else decreases.

Idk what that is but ur a wizard just shoot a fireball (I have no rebuttal for this idk anything abt magic. Are your projectiles arrow strength?)

18 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

1. yes obviously if you are trying to use a RANGED weapon in a MELEE ground encounter you're not gonna be able to get many shots off. go somewhere ranged if you want to get more than a couple arrow hits. for example nevaehlen killed me fair and square once because they used bows the right way and stood on their walls and arrow spammed my inferis to death once. it's annoying but it worked, but for some reason people will stand in like a 10x10 isolated CRP encounter and complain that they can only get a couple of shots off before being attacked

2. correct, I'm also an advocate for balancing all types of ranged weaponry as well

3. people do this out of good faith, not by any enforced rule. this is also means that, considering there's no limit on how many arrows u can carry, you can just keep shooting until you roll a 20/20 and there's no real method or risk because you never have to worry about running out. u ever read hunger games bro?? katniss always worries about her arrow count!!! be like katniss!!!

Its not like people are going out of their way to be in melee range, but even if you're a fair distance away a foot combatant can cover most if not all of that distance in three turns. 2 dashes and a movement/action is 20 blocks, thats just a dude on foot. Bows theoretically have a long range yeah, but outside of events RP doesn't occur at that distance

2. Fair

3. I didn't read hunger games and katniss is a dumb name. Let people be Legolas, or, if it matters that much, put a restriction on how many arrows a person can carry on the armaments page, like how a character can only carry three potions, say ten or so arrows in a quiver or something. Though again I don't think CRP lasts long enough for running out of arrows to be a concern.

If bows go down to 2 emotes, a bunch of shit will need to be rebalanced. I.E. Abilities designed to counter arrow-speed projectiles which often do not protect against crossbow bolt speed stuff as well as potions, thrown projectiles/ magic arrow equivalents etc.

No thanks.

I only think it's fair because three emotes is the same time it takes to cast (some) magical spells/projectiles. Archers also tend to be farther away from the combat on hand (or should be, at least), so I think they should have less worries about being struck down mid-battle while loading a weapon.

honestly this and also remove all magics

As someone who has done archery rp as my primary combat mode on here for most of a decade, 3 is fine if RP competency and/or incompetency were taken into account. As is, you often end up only getting 2-5 shots off in an encounter, assuming you stay out of range, and thus it is situational. I like the idea of 3 for the first shot, 2 following, and 3 for Crossbows, but I think the underlying issue of there not being disadvantage or advantage or proficiency, especially with ranged weapons, is worse. My elf I've played since Athera primarily as a ranger archetype, for example, shouldn't miss every other shot. But that would require a revamp of combat in general, so I think decreasing the emotes for subsequent shots would help.

Edited by SmartScout

My suggestion from a shower thought I had last year wuz that bow users could do 2 OR 3 emotes.

2 emotes means they have to roll w/ a negative modifier to accuracy and do not get to pick a precise spot to hit

3 emotes does not require a roll and always hits in some honorable capacity wherever the archer is aiming

1 hour ago, Morigung-oog said:

If bows go down to 2 emotes, a bunch of shit will need to be rebalanced. I.E. Abilities designed to counter arrow-speed projectiles which often do not protect against crossbow bolt speed stuff as well as potions, thrown projectiles/ magic arrow equivalents etc.

No thanks.

this is simply over complicating the issue merely for complications sake

the problem with ranged combat in general is that it's only good in larger CRP fights where actual battle lines develop, and these CRP fights also tend to take 3-5 hours of your time to resolve and you don't want to get into them to begin with!

if CRP was more streamlined such that it could operate faster with larger amounts of players involved, we'd see more archer characters.

2 hours ago, Benleft said:

I’ve buffed my BSK goon nest with a Templar banner and a Paladin enchant! Gashadokuro can never get past my choke point covered by a pair of archers with two-emote bows!

Wait, he’s right behind me, isn’t he? 

lo2yLLu.jpeg

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/ab16637f-6c98-4e9e-a25f-791825aecdcd/db9qh3y-b80d770e-1b18-4b7b-b6fa-4cd0282aa684.png/v1/fill/w_1024,h_853,q_80,strp/merasmus_by_deathbattledino_db9qh3y-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9ODUzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvYWIxNjYzN2YtNmM5OC00ZTllLWEyNWYtNzkxODI1YWVjZGNkXC9kYjlxaDN5LWI4MGQ3NzBlLTFiMTgtNGI3Yi1iNmZhLTRjZDAyODJhYTY4NC5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.BarV9ms2zUu8cBBpaFgEWuTwOjPPslU9qGK_Q0I0LiU
Gashadokuro ^

12 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

the problem with ranged combat in general is that it's only good in larger CRP fights where actual battle lines develop, and these CRP fights also tend to take 3-5 hours of your time to resolve and you don't want to get into them to begin with!

if CRP was more streamlined such that it could operate faster with larger amounts of players involved, we'd see more archer characters.

+1

From what I understand of the 3 types of weapons that use arrows.

Crossbow: Takes a bit of time to load I'm sure, even if fast to fire.
1. Take forward
2. Load
3. Aim
4. Fire
Repeat step 2-4 (3 emotes)

Longbow: Takes a bit of time to load I'm sure as you need strength to pull that string and hold it before letting go.
1. Take forward
2. Load
3. Aim
4. Fire

Short bow: Should be faster to load/fire as it's smaller and weak people/mages can use these.
1. Take forward
2. Load
3. Aim
4. Fire

Suggestion: Maybe Load+Aim can be in same emote, unless people think Aim+Fire but that doesn't feel as good as Load+Aim I think.

abusing this would be fun but hell nah

wait till my arcane scion gets on horseback with a bow

People forget that anything that takes 2 emotes to do is nearly impossible to interrupt.