END SCHIZO RP: A Critique on Today's Roleplay

Nozgoth

14 minutes ago, satinkira said:

7fa97eb9c7ea1e8792caf91ffe2fb4c4.jpg

yea u right dw I was just talking about the players (who are in the minority I do not deny) that make their motives incomprehensible and locked behind profound understanding of lotc deeplore and theology because they have to be 100% correct in their beliefs and morally righteous whilst playing like a random guard character - the grandness of peoples purpose and motives exceed their stature, and you know utterly delusional characters are fun but they arent being roleplayed as delusional and its because of this wacky obsession with being right and In The Know with lotc deeplore. Im beginning to experience this more and more and it rots my brain people just cant bear to be wrong about server lore nowdays guys please start fall for the psyop campaigns irply hahaeh please stop making misinforming ppl oocly the only good way to misinform them irply

but ur right tho i dont disagree its smth stupid like 01:50 am rn and I can already tell I havent expressed my thoughts very clearly; tldr ur right and I dont disagree 

83d8259923bff8222a7f2f7d05acdd1f.jpg

I am unsure what I meant by this but please disregard it 

I avoid schizo rpers like the plague, mostly because half of them think they are better than everyone else for being super vague and """esoteric""" (not even actually esoteric)

gets so "inside jokey" that the whole rp just becomes a weird elitist meme

2 hours ago, Unwillingly said:

need to respond to this bc it was bugging me (and noz can correct me if I'm wrong) but the point of the post isn't to criticize villains/darkspawn for having motives more nuanced than being evil for the sake of it, its to criticize how every darkspawn makes their motive molded around this religiously incomprehensible esoteric philosophy in order to be a fulfilling dark character. ur comment is just conflating "having a motive = schizo RP" which isn't the point of the post bc not every darkspawn or villain-aligned character who has a motive is one of these players. I loathe that player culture has become so hostile towards character archetypes that imply having a purpose, a rhyme and a reason, or something to gain and lose. I'm not saying that one is superior or inferior to the other either - both have their places on the server in different ways and I think we just need to be alright with that

eloquently worded

wait your schizo rp wasn't based on real character growth and experience? you were all just pretending?
wtf i feel lied to

8 hours ago, Nozgoth said:

Why do we always need to involve THEOLOGY and PHILOSOPHY into our roleplay. WE ARE NOT INTELLECTUALS. I’M NOT AN INTELLECTUAL AND NEITHER ARE YOU.

Because in a world where people don’t want SOL rp and mix SOL with Tea rp they strongly believe we should not do SOL rp (or casual normal rp) and do intellectual- High estuary- philosophical rp to meet the standards of edge lords and ST.

just do your casual rp- SOL doesn’t have to be Tea rp, yall do SOL everyday. You are a SOL rper.

Hello schizo rpers

Nozcon is cancelled this year. Hope to see you next year.

- Kind regards, the Nozcon administation.

I don't see any problem with characters having a philosophy. Beliefs and motivations beyond cartoonish villainy make for a much richer roleplay environment. If your character is doing bad things just because you OOCly want to be mean, then your character quickly becomes a weird self insert for you to dunk on people you don't like. 

The main problem in my mind is when these philosophies have excessive complexity with no basic core logic. Word salad and mental gymnastics that don't really say anything at all and are just confusing for the sake of it.
I recall (without naming names) writing alchemy and my character coming up with very basic ideas about
"mundane world = good, magic = bad"
...And then bore silent witness to what I saw as esoteric gibberish following in its wake.

Some people here have cited Gash Incorporated as a prime example of very basic villainy, and without meaning to stroke myself off I'd say this came to be in part (though the original dead men group predated this and me) informed by the reality that yes they have access to an excessive religious text (the Black Books), though at its core it's a nonsensical Ibleesian history book chronicling silly conspiracy theories about Horen's wife being a frost witch and Iblees turning into a hot dark elven woman. At its core the philosophy is incredibly plain and built off of the prior already established logic of inferi:

"Might is Right."

Which, whilst partly inspired by real world Egoism, can very easily be understood by your average guy as "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" or "you can do what you want so long as you're stronger than everyone else that would try and make you do what they want", and after several IRL years of roleplaying other creeds like Xionism, the Hexalogue, Shadow Circle Druidism etc (all ideologies which can be watered down to simple logic though require a bit more mental gymnastics to 'justify') I really do think I'm enjoying this the most for its simplicity.

Worldbuilding and giving your character a logic rooted in our setting is cool, and I think we all have a responsibility to our shared universe to at least be ICly grounded in it, but extensive "roleplay homework" should at the end of the day be completely optional.

It takes one sentence to explain "Iblees is based, what're you gonna do about it?"

Most of the people in Evil Inc haven't even read the Black Books, nor do they need to.

And I think that's beautiful.

nah I will continue to schizo

. . . .You guys were just roleplaying? :(

8 minutes ago, milksoda said:

. . . You guys were just roleplaying?

milksoda please please please just take your meds
rF5hRew.png

21 hours ago, Nozgoth said:

I think we also need to bring back more common forms of villainy. We need burglars, murderers, drug dealers, bandits, etc. I would love to start up a group involved in this sort of thing, so if you are interested, hit my discord: priestofworms

Despite being the #1 Medieval Minecraft RPG, LOTC has made it clear over the years that it favors certain roles over others that might draw conflict or turmoil. It's quite hypocritical but as much as it stirs the pot 'villainy' (very broad term) will always be handicapped with heavy rules rather than holding free agency to accomplish what they have the potential to achieve. 

what if they all just shut up entirely? never speak again!!

what if my character pretends to be religious and philosophical but is actually just trying to justify themselves in being a sadist

Jokes but let people enjoy their funky little lotc religions (black books for lyfe)