[Playable] Fjarriauga - The Deadly Frost Witches (Remastered Lore)

Urahra

Yeah, removing the curse was one of the big reasons why I felt like the lore needed some cleaning up. There were also some inconsistencies as well, or some small things that didn't quite fit. So I did a re-write, and proposed it to Bird and Urara, and she turned it into this. The magic has been around for quite some time, and it picked up some problems along the way. This is just a better, cleaner version of the original.

Randomish question: if a frost witch had a limb struck off, could it be reformed over time? It sounds like their bodies are basically ice and don't follow the rules of normal descendant regeneration, so I would think this would be possible, but want to know what you think.

The lore is [Pending] 

Expect a result within a week or just afterward, the lore team is currently reviewing this piece!

This new revision of "ice bodies" and perpetual stasis would imply a degree of an undead status, despite the fact that Fjarriauga are kept magically alive. So given as these changes somewhat up-the-ante on how unnatural Frost Witches are, I would assume holy magic would still, and maybe furthermore, have effects on them? I'm not saying they'd burst into frosty chunks after being ignited with divine fire, but I'm not saying they should get passive disadvantages alone either.

Again not an authority, but from what I understand, fire magic (and heat in general) is to frosties what holy magic is to undead.

They've always been hurt by the offensive holy magic such as from war clerics, but they can also be healed by clerics, albeit less effectively. Unless that's also been changed with this post.

The general consensus (afaik) is while frosties are technically "undead" holy magic/aurum/anti monster whatever isn't going to affect them. It also really doesn't make sense for holy magic to heal them and harm them, tbh. 

I am not inclined to agree. Not only are they unnaturally kept alive through mysterious, dark means, but the Fjarriauga status is also assigned as a dark magic, and their very being contradicts the goal of mortal purity of one of three of the most prominent Cleric-oriented Aenguls that exist (being Tahariae). As far as I may gauge this, they're actually worse than Shades, and thus even healing them sounds improper as being made of frozen flesh doesn't tie in properly with the fact Clerical healing still works on the basis of mortal purity - ie, turning the wounds back into normal, healthy flesh.

At best, I bet they could be healed whilst enduring a great deal of physical pain, but being affected by Clerical magic should definitely be a thing. I reckon holy fire could inflict the same kind of damage as regular fire to Frost Witches, to prevent any complicated what-fire-does-what ordeals. The prospect of being harmed by these things may seem unfair, but it makes sense, and to try to cut off making sense of already valid lore is detrimental to a variety of things related to lore here.

I have some more in depth questions about the curse itself and how it functions and would behave under some very particular circumstances related to something I am planning to do in character. Who may I consult as to this?

I am not inclined to agree. Not only are they unnaturally kept alive through mysterious, dark means, but the Fjarriauga status is also assigned as a dark magic, and their very being contradicts the goal of mortal purity of one of three of the most prominent Cleric-oriented Aenguls that exist (being Tahariae). As far as I may gauge this, they're actually worse than Shades, and thus even healing them sounds improper as being made of frozen flesh doesn't tie in properly with the fact Clerical healing still works on the basis of mortal purity - ie, turning the wounds back into normal, healthy flesh.

At best, I bet they could be healed whilst enduring a great deal of physical pain, but being affected by Clerical magic should definitely be a thing. I reckon holy fire could inflict the same kind of damage as regular fire to Frost Witches, to prevent any complicated what-fire-does-what ordeals. The prospect of being harmed by these things may seem unfair, but it makes sense, and to try to cut off making sense of already valid lore is detrimental to a variety of things related to lore here.

I have some more in depth questions about the curse itself and how it functions and would behave under some very particular circumstances related to something I am planning to do in character. Who may I consult as to this?

@Swgrclan - Original Frosty lore was a bit unclear on this point and I understand your confusion here. 

I wouldn't like to load Frosties down with a lot of major weaknesses since they pay a very high price for their powers already. And they have an enormous, glaring weakness to fire. 

Pros of Frosty Magic:

Frost powers!

Shapeshifting!

Cons:

Need to eat people. :(

Extreme, debilitating weakness to heart. :(

Depression. :(

Isolated from all social relationships except with your coven. :(

Inability to have sex under normal circumstances. :(

Inability to reproduce. :(

While I think offensive clerical magic WOULD hurt a Frosty, that's only because offensive magic hurts people in general. I don't think it would necessarily harm them more than the average individual. Frosties are individual people, after all, and function with different moralities.

My character, Brunhylde, was an unrepentant sociopath who viewed every single living being (except her daughters) are disposable objects. Does she represent all Frosties? Goodness no. There are plenty who are much nicer than Brunhylde and only feed because they have to - not necessarily because they want to. (Although I would argue that Frosties should lose their human morality and adopt a more sociopathic outlook over time - if RP'd properly.)

I don't have a great understanding how clerical magic works. If it operates solely on whether the target is good/evil, then you have a can of worms because many Frosties occupy a grey area. Would it work against Brunhylde? Yes, because she was evil as hell. Would it work against a new Frosty who fought against the curse but eventually succumbed and only eats because she has to? I don't know.

Considering that people kill each other on the regular throughout LOTC and murder isn't really considered a big deal... If clerical magic hurt every single person who'd committed a murder, it would pretty much harm everyone.

@Kowaman - Either me, Megu, or Bird should likely be able to answer it. 

@Swgrclan - Original Frosty lore was a bit unclear on this point and I understand your confusion here. 

I wouldn't like to load Frosties down with a lot of major weaknesses since they pay a very high price for their powers already. And they have an enormous, glaring weakness to fire. 

Pros of Frosty Magic:

Frost powers!

Shapeshifting!

Cons:

Need to eat people. :(

Extreme, debilitating weakness to heart. :(

Depression. :(

Isolated from all social relationships except with your coven. :(

Inability to have sex under normal circumstances. :(

Inability to reproduce. :(

While I think offensive clerical magic WOULD hurt a Frosty, that's only because offensive magic hurts people in general. I don't think it would necessarily harm them more than the average individual. Frosties are individual people, after all, and function with different moralities.

My character, Brunhylde, was an unrepentant sociopath who viewed every single living being (except her daughters) are disposable objects. Does she represent all Frosties? Goodness no. There are plenty who are much nicer than Brunhylde and only feed because they have to - not necessarily because they want to. (Although I would argue that Frosties should lose their human morality and adopt a more sociopathic outlook over time - if RP'd properly.)

I don't have a great understanding how clerical magic works. If it operates solely on whether the target is good/evil, then you have a can of worms because many Frosties occupy a grey area. Would it work against Brunhylde? Yes, because she was evil as hell. Would it work against a new Frosty who fought against the curse but eventually succumbed and only eats because she has to? I don't know.

Considering that people kill each other on the regular throughout LOTC and murder isn't really considered a big deal... If clerical magic hurt every single person who'd committed a murder, it would pretty much harm everyone.

@Kowaman - Either me, Megu, or Bird should likely be able to answer it. 

As far as I'm concerned, any karma or aligned-based Cleric magic is filed under Ascended powers, and not powers drawn from Tahariae, whom is the patron of the original Clerics. When I meant purity (I should have elaborated on what it meant in earnest, I apologize), I meant Tahariaen Cleric magic would affect things that are otherwise tainted or wretched in being. For example, Shades are affected because dark remnants of Iblees' power taint their soul. Wraiths, Dreadknights and Undead beings in general are affected a great deal, because they're Undead, and their means of retaining their lives is corrupted and vile. I suggested it affects Frost Witches because, as you listed in your pro/con section, they eat people to sustain their frozen, unnatural forms and conjure a form of ice control because their soul is marked by black magic passed down from an entity no one truly knows of - among other things.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade- I've truly enjoyed Frost Witch roleplay in the past. It's just that some things, as you said, seem a bit confusing. 

As far as I'm concerned, any karma or aligned-based Cleric magic is filed under Ascended powers, and not powers drawn from Tahariae, whom is the patron of the original Clerics. When I meant purity (I should have elaborated on what it meant in earnest, I apologize), I meant Tahariaen Cleric magic would affect things that are otherwise tainted or wretched in being. For example, Shades are affected because dark remnants of Iblees' power taint their soul. Wraiths, Dreadknights and Undead beings in general are affected a great deal, because they're Undead, and their means of retaining their lives is corrupted and vile. I suggested it affects Frost Witches because, as you listed in your pro/con section, they eat people to sustain their frozen, unnatural forms and conjure a form of ice control because their soul is marked by black magic passed down from an entity no one truly knows of - among other things.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade- I've truly enjoyed Frost Witch roleplay in the past. It's just that some things, as you said, seem a bit confusing. 

Pardon me for misunderstanding, then.

I would agree with you that offensive clerical magic would like work against them, since clerical magic appears to be effective against all of the dark arts. 

As of 6/11/2015, 10:16 pm EST, I have made some edits to the original post. So I ask the LMs to reread carefully.

This revision has been  [Accepted] !

smon.gif