[✗] [Lore] The Clash of Light and Taint

Mephistophelian

Nah, think you just have the wrong mentality about this. Good dark arts users and good light arts do not power-game each other. They meet half way. A confrontation between the two doesn't mean it will turn into an epic fight scene with one part having to lose and die.

Yes, but those are good users. Some people may not, thus I personally believe that going into the details would help with that.

I went into as much details as is needed. If there are issues that arise, what I have given is enough. To prove that, here is an example:

Wraith v/s Xan paladin. The Xan paladin wishes to use his Light to remove the Taint of the Wraith. They argue that they are a far older, more experienced Paladin than any other Paladin, and are more powerful than the Wraith. All Mr Wraith needs to do is direct Mr Paladin to this page stating the exact opposite.

Now we have the instance of a T4 necromancer fighting a T4 Xan Paladin (sorry Xan bros, I'm using you as examples but it applies to everyone!). The Necromancer insists his char is more powerful, but the Paladin refers back to here which states they are the same power.

Now, this is not to say that the Necromancer can say his char is more powerful in the circumstances and the Paladin can accept that (even though they are both T4). It's just providing a fall-back guideline in case of disagreements.

I /can/ see it causing issues, but I do agree it would be a rather rare scenario.

Excellent lore. I'm suprised something similiar hasn't been suggested and approved before.

The only issue is that there are no tiers, so it's kinda hard to apply this to current peeps. Though this lore is good perhaps try rephrasing it to not use tiers. Also, think it should be in the lore but put in the hands of the RPers to what extent. That being said holy mages should still have a slight upper hand as their sole purpose is to extinguish dark beings, so if say a shade came across a cleric with the same 'tier' the cleric should have a bit of leeway if they decide to fight, not complete equals as that would kind of defeat the purpose of holy magic being used against dark creatures.

The only issue is that there are no tiers, so it's kinda hard to apply this to current peeps. Though this lore is good perhaps try rephrasing it to not use tiers. Also, think it should be in the lore but put in the hands of the RPers to what extent. That being said holy mages should still have a slight upper hand as their sole purpose is to extinguish dark beings, so if say a shade came across a cleric with the same 'tier' the cleric should have a bit of leeway if they decide to fight, not complete equals as that would kind of defeat the purpose of holy magic being used against dark creatures.

There are tiers. That's why the MAT insists you can have two T5 magics, two T4 magics and one T3 magic (not five T5 magics). How else could they enforce this if there were no tiers? All the magic guides have tiers, all the magic lores have tiers. Tiers are very much present! Thusly...I use the much understood and accepted measurement of 'tiers' to display levels of magical prowess.

As for holy mages having the upper hand; it has always been the case, and no one has fun. If you want an example, look at how the Harbingers completely squished people in PvP. "But PvP isn't RP!" You say. The comparison remains; there is no fun in being beaten without challenge. Do you know when I had the most fun (talking about personal experience, here)? When the holy mage decided to make it a fair battle. I lost some, I won some, but that holy mage (shout out to Ventios!) knew that playing it fair was the route to a good session of RP.

I like to think that holy magics aren't thinks that extinguish dark magics, but rather things that combat dark magics. The candle in the middle of the room does not shine into every corner, nor does it illuminate the entire room. Instead, it pushes the shadows back. The same principle is applied here: The light is what can combat the dark, and can combat it the best.

Edit (because the forums won't let me edit. FM, please delete this and add it to the previous post of mine, if you can): This isn't to say your feedback isn't unnoticed and tossed to the side. I will add in, in the lore, that generally it is Light that has the slight upper hand, but (if there is a disagreement), the balance returns to what I mentioned beforehand so that there are no confusions.

As to what has been said about a "slight upper hand", I personally think that should shift with the ownership of that one very special artifact

It was said some time ago that tiers were abolished 'officially' that doesn't mean people still don't use it. I myself still use it, though since it's kinda mixed it would be best to state it in a way that would make more sense officially. I think you mistake what I said with upper hand. I don't mean clerics should have a great upper hand against dark magic, as I said before I am all for this change and like the idea of evening it out. Though just believe that it would be better if clerics had a very slight upper hand. Not how it is now or has been in the past, just the inherent upper hand ingrained in the magic itself being made to get rid of tainted things. Though, that shouldn't mean a simple cleric of the same strength would be guaranteed to beat a dark magic user of the same skill if the dark mage is crafty enough.

An example of that would be a cleric fighting against a necromancer. Necromancers aren't effected by cleric magic as they aren't technically dark beings. But the undead they summon may be. So the undead they create could be beaten by the cleric of equal strength fairly easily, but a necromancer isn't defeated right away being able to use other things to fight against the nasty cleric using things like void magic or what have you. I think that was another reason cleric magic was also super effective originally. Because dark mages can use void magic as well as their own magic.             

Edited by Booklight12

Tbh I feel like this would only create more of the feeling that the special mages are being catered too, while the majority of the playerbase without magic is being ignored from this big conflict. Also it'd just make the staff-played aenguls more entitled and important, self-injecting themselves into RP to have this massive battle of Good and Evil.

Edited by Heff

Tbh I feel like this would only create more of the feeling that the special mages are being catered too, while the majority of the playerbase without magic is being ignored from this big conflict. Also it'd just make the staff-played aenguls more entitled and important, self-injecting themselves into RP to have this massive battle of Good and Evil.

Er, did you actually read what was proposed?

As for the lore proposal itself, +1 from me.

I demand a mortal Kombat! 

And im sure a epic battle in the 2 people fight could end in a draw. When I fight one on one me and the enemy pm each other if we have questions and such. It's just Rp both sides can have fun in this good and evil fight. Both can become evening matched or one shows mercy then walking away. A draw leads to maybe a future challenge,more trouble or understanding instead of "bang bang your dead ,bye I win scrub,Gg get good." Only victory brag rights maybe. But I am liking the cliche good vs evil idea :) just waiting for that antag

What's stopping those without holy magic to fight dark arts though? I mean most of them bleed just as any cultists can attack any holy user.

I'm sorry Heff, but I don't really think you've read the lore proposed, here. This isn't a lore that is 'catering' to the mages mentioned any more than every other lore about magic. In fact, it probably caters to these magics less, if anything. If it is wanted, I suppose I could write a lore on how these mages are so easily killed by normal folk? I don't really understand what you are asking.

Parkins approved.