[Revision] Voidal Horror Origins

hellfiazz

Disclaimer: The currently accepted lore for Voidal Horrors says that these creatures reside within the Void, and since then people have mentally assumed this when thinking up ideas for Void Horrors and thought up not only sentiences, but societies and hierarchies in the Void. This, however, is in contradiction with the nature of the Void. It is an endless sea of energy and potential, a sapient being can not exist there because it is anathema to the Void's raw-energy nature. Consequently, this feature of the lore for voidal horrors must be amended! However, this amendment doesn't necessarily have to change IC beliefs regarding voidal horrors' origins.

The Origins of Voidal Horrors

Long has it been thought by mortal scholars that the creatures known as Voidal Horrors were not simple monsters, but were actually utterly alien beings who have invaded from the Void where the rest of their bizarre societies resided. Though this line of reasoning is understandable, it is unfortunately incorrect. Voidal Horrors are not invaders from over the great arcane sea, but are instead something perhaps more mundane.

The Veil protects the mortal world from disintegration by the endless and chaotic energy of the Void, and it has done so ever since the Creator forged the universe. However, it is not perfect, and often the imperfections result in anomalous instances where the energies of the Void manage to seep into the mortal world, without the control of an arcane mage to guide them. Most often, the Void energies take the form of everyday objects and elements, such as saucepans, fireballs and clocks. Sometimes though, enough energy pierces the veil and interacts with lingering mana, forming what could be considered a pseudo-soul. The energy then takes a physical form around this pseudo-soul creating a sentient being, the Voidal Horrors that many a mortal knows and fears.

The beings known as "Greater Voidal Horrors", and even "Arch Horrors" are formed in this exact way. They are not special Voidal Horrors, but are only the result of greater quantities of Voidal energies seeping through in one scenario and therefore creating a more powerful and perhaps intelligent creature.

Yet the Veil was shattered by Iblees in the early days of Aegis. It is entirely shattered and torn, allowing the Void to influence the mortal plane. This is why magic is possible and came to be. Its overall function is rendered null now.

Would it not be easier to just say Voidal Horrors are something like living, magic created tumors? Freak errors in which something goes wrong in the world/Void and a new entity takes shape? I'm not a fan of going into such detail when it comes to magic since then we go down Connor's rabbit hole of devaluing magic since its more of an explained science instead of magic.

10 minutes ago, Supremacy said:

There are many Veils. Veil is simply where one world meets another.

Can any other LM with some merit attest to this?

Just now, Heero 阴 said:

Can any other LM with some merit attest to this?

Me

Is this a lore submission or LT shutting down our friend here?

:) Nice lore

2 hours ago, Supremacy said:

There are many Veils. Veil is simply where one world meets another.

Tbh that's always been my assumption of the function. If the entire Veil fell, then wouldn't all the worlds get mashed together into soup?

nice change but also pls write up veil lore thx would love to see hugs <3 

The Void isn't entirely just information and energy, but the dimension within which all minds and thought reside. I'd have imagined voidal horrors were simply anomalies within the infinite potential of the Void where a mind first exists within the Void without a corporeal manifestation within the material realm, but given enough thinning of the barrier between Void and material realm through excessive mana/magic usage, they find a way to exert themselves in. As such, they wouldn't entirely be 'residing' within the Void as a human in Vailor, but minds traversing a plane of infinite chaos. It's been implied minds/thoughts take up different spaces and can move through the Void with things like mental magic or voidal horrors literally attaching their minds with unsound mages and the like.

So yeah. tl;dr Voidal horrors being minds inside the Void that only become manifest in times where large amounts of mana are used in short bursts, like void tears.

"but the dimension within which all minds and thought reside."

Uh... Where did you learn this?

"nice change but also pls write up veil lore thx would love to see hugs <3 "

Benbo intends to release it in an event, I'm told.

On 6/7/2016 at 6:03 PM, Supremacy said:

"but the dimension within which all minds and thought reside."

Uh... Where did you learn this?

-snip-

I learned it years ago. Something about a creation story where the Void was used as a means to harbor thought for the descendants before it was for magic. This could've been changed, but I suppose that's how mental magic functions. You are able to locate another mind through the Void and merge with it.

EDIT:

I think that was one of the first places I heard of the idea.

"He created the Void from which thoughts could exist for the physical realm..."

Again, it's an outdated lore and things could've changed, but I never heard them changing. It just seemed like such a fundamental thing. Being able to manipulate a plane of infinite potential so fluidly with one's thoughts could suggest there's an intrinsic interconnection between the mind, the void, and the soul (due to mana). Mana just being the final connection from the Void into the material realm. Like an overlapping system of parts.

SO yeah. That's where I might've first learned it. And going back to the previous subjects. I presumed that due to the Void being a realm of infinite potential, there could be innumerable frameworks for minds that given enough chaotic mana, could be given manifestation into the material realm. A la, voidal horrors. That was my thought process.

I'm not sure if this lore suggests something similar to this or not. I just wanted to put my two cents in.