Sign in to follow this  
Zanthuz

THE KORTREVICHBOWL

Spoiler

THE KORTREVICHBOWL

9th of Wzuvar and Byvca, 303 ES |  9th of Horen’s Calling, 1750

oNjoj4M0T_6oaZO_HoH1UW6aYRyDP5SghCuNYs7SEN8RHcoyL4RpcLBz-7uEGCeUpgj0FptJ6CqXkqTKeChKu_T5IKCYXhtsHQmr7YpUcwonQEchvuCid9kTOb9KUvpSWxzkPafQ

“A bull doesn't concern himself with the opinions of cattle like yourself, Rodrik.”

~Ser Nikolaus Kortrevich

9th OF WZUVAR AND BYVCA, 303 ES

The solemn day proceeded from the morning sunrise as the banners above Fort Korstadt glistening in the sky. The hoofs of horsemen were increasingly audible as a dozen or so men arrived near the path where the entrance of Old Reza was situated. The murmuring of these arrivals was heard from within the walls as the Kortrevich family awoke to the commotion that stood outside.

Rodrik and his company of knights made their long travels to Fort Korstadt, the seat of House Kortrevich where they had been greeted with a heavily armed fortress manned by the valiant brothers of the Brotherhood of Saint Karl. Upon their arrival, word soon made way to Nikolaus and his family as they had exited their rooms and made way to peer over the top of the walls. A few words were shared between the two parties. After coming to the conclusion what must be done.

“Is it really him?” one of the footmen asked, looking to Ser Nikolaus who rushed out to look for himself. As the elder knight stepped out, he looked over the fort crenellations. Beyond the waving banner was the man who had betrayed his oath over thirty years ago. Ser Nikolaus remained stoic, studying his cousin. He did not believe it for himself initially, placing himself into doubt.

“What shall we do? I will ring the bells and alert the Brotherhood.” a footman responded before trudging off back to Reza. Without seemingly listening to anything else around him, the Knight Paramount kept his gaze fixated at Rodrik. 

“Papej, I will face him with you.” Primrose spoke up. Nikolaus then turned to her, shaking his head, “No Prim, this fight is something I must do alone.” To Primrose discontent, she quickly realized the valor of knighthood, the calling she had accepted and heeded her father’s words. As soon as he spoke, Ser Nikolaus went back into the fort and donned his helmet and cloak. Before departing outside, the elderly knight paused to recollect himself.

He recalled his humble beginnings in Markev, the city of his youth and the experiences that would shape his life. His family and kingdom were insurmountable priorities, the dearest of things he would fight to his grave. The War of the Two Emperors made irrevocable damage to these two things, rendering a different man. Ser Nikolaus spoke little and remain vigilant, and his years of service amounted to the greatest calling he earned in the service of his kingdom and for the glorification of his family: Knight Paramount. Now he emerged from the doors of the keep, slowing trudging down as the weight of the armor he wore for life became noticeably denser to his aging constitution. 

As Ser Nikolaus walked toward the gate, he stood motionless, peering through the openings of his helmet. His gaze was unwavering as he studied this man who claimed to be his cousin, Rodrik. It was not until Rodrik spoke, his voice having an emanating and memorable tone to the elder Knight Paramount’s ears. “Cousin, I have come home…” Rodrik stated with a small grin on his face. “You have put up quite the welcome party for our family reunion. How flattering.” The disgraced knight then dismounted his horse and beckoned his retinue to stand back. This fight would be personal.

As soon as Rodrik brandished his sword, Ser Nikolaus immediately recognized the man he had sought to take down his entire life. Ser Nikolaus then looked up to Primrose and nodded, “Open the gate, Prim.” His daughter looked hesitant, crying out, “Papej! I will fight him with you!” The Knight Paramount remained still, hurt by the grief in his daughter’s tone. He, however, declined her want and without having raised his voice in much time, he yelled in response, “DO AS I COMMAND!” Ser Nikolaus spoke authoritatively, speaking to Primrose not as her father but as the Knight Paramount responding to his duty. Together, Primrose and Emaline said very little after their father’s interjection but muttered a prayer for their father aloud just enough to where he could hear:

“Godan, guide him and strengthen his body and soul.

O saints above, hark! Let not my petition go without divine attention.

Render justice on the wicked and let the righteous be free.

Godan above, uplift the valiant and slay the oathbreaker.

Defend us in battle, O saints above…”

His family, namely his two daughters; Primrose and Emaline pleaded for their father to remain safely behind the towering walls but despite their unwavering interest in keeping their father safe it was long decided well before Rodrik’s arrival what was to take place when Rodrik made his way to Haense. Ser Nikolaus descended to the drawbridge below, wielding his longsword as his black and gold cloak wavered about behind him. His decorated armor plate glistened in the open field, a set he had donned his entire life. From the moment of his knighthood to what would be his last time in battle, the elder knight stood face to face with his lost cousin. 

Brief words were shared between the two cousins and shortly after the conversation concluded, Nikolaus took off his gauntlet and removed his wedding ring and took out three missives before passing them all off to a member of the brotherhood that descended from the walls. The footman brought it to Primrose, his eldest daughter to keep ahold of no matter the outcome and give to the appropriately addressed people if his death was to be had. Both men prepared for a fight that would end in their demise. The fight ensued and through many clashes of both blades, the fight concluded abruptly after some substantiated amount of time. Both aging men, who were past their primes, pierced through each other’s armor both at the same time in similar locations, inflicting damage to their bodies. 

The damage was fatal. Their eyes remained still as the consciousness of their bodies began to fade slowly. Many aching screams could be heard by both Nikolaus and Rodrik, but ultimately the first who collapsed was Rodrik as he tumbled down to the drawbridge where their fight began. Soon thereafter, Nikolaus was brought to his knees before bringing his blade onto Rodrik one last time as he let out an aching sigh. 

Rodrik’s party of men who he traveled north with, watched the fight take place as they cheered for the man they hoped would reign victorious as he did oh so many years ago but they quickly stood in mournful silence in witnessing what transpired before them.

The men and women that stood up atop of the walls also cheered for the renowned swordsman that was Ser Nikolaus but later stood in absolute silence after the revelation was made clear to all that were present. Cries for help were made by those of the Kortrevich household before the entire Brotherhood rally of men sallied out of the main gate to alert Rodrik’s company to retreat back to their lands away from the fray.

All that laid on the drawbridge outside the fortress was the two lifeless bodies of Rodrik and Nikolaus where both of their swords would lay. Rodrik’s greatsword – ‘Kortrevich’s Vow’ & Nikolaus’ longsword. . . . 

THE MISSIVE READS:

Your Majesty @AndrewTech

“Young Andrik, from the earliest dawn where both my cousin Otto and I enlisted apart of the 1st Order of the Brotherhood of Saint Karl decades ago to the time where I was the young age of eighteen our family have stayed loyal to our liege lords and ever resilient to each troubling circumstances that faced the wide kingdom, my family and I have served under this kingdom since the reign of your great grandfather King Robert I who welcomed our extensive family with open arms and established us to the standing we are present day. I write to you to impart my final sentiments to you and wish you good fortune for your long reign as you will be the fourth king that I will have served under by the time this missive reaches you. I ask for you to elevate Ser Tiberius Barrow to that of Paramount Knight following my passing as he is well-experienced in the line of command and seeks to establish the elite cavalry group that is the Golden Hussars to ensure the King’s defense. I seek also for you to elevate Ser Aedan Capulei to the Marian Retinue and I leave you to the appointment of that of Meyster Knight of the Order of the Crow where they shall oversee the functions of Haense’s most prominent knightly order and work closely with Ser Tiberius who will be appointed as Commandant Knight of the Marian Retinue to closely oversee the King and the Royal families guarded defense. I suspect you’ll choose a man or woman for that matter who is deemed fit for the position. I wish to keep this missive short so you may return to your duties but I must plead for you to maintain the function of the Marian Retinue that your grandfather established as its function has been successful since its founding. May you have a long and prosperous reign that propels the Kingdom of Haense to the glory it deserves.”

SIGNED,

Ser Nikolaus Kortrevich, Knight Paramount of Haense, Commandant Knight of the Marian Retinue, Meyster Knight of the Order of the Crow, Royal Champion of King Andrew the IV

THE MISSIVE READS:

Otto @Quinn275

“Cousin, we’re both in this world a little while longer, to defend Haense, to defend our family’s honor, and to defend our blood. I ask only one thing from you-- that you ensure that Markus and his children after him carry on the family name for it was us both who established this very House to the standing it is today. When this missive reaches you it is understood that I have passed but I only wish to make you certainly aware of how eternally grateful I am for you being a part of my life. Otto, from the earliest beginnings of my life you’ve remained apparent. I wish only to thank you for all that you’ve taught me and all that we’ve experienced together. I seek to welcome you to the seven skies when the time permits itself for you to exit the war-torn world that our family and kingdom are ridden with.“

SIGNED,

Your cousin, Nikolaus

THE MISSIVE READS:

Markus @CaptainZenny

“Nephew, while my admiration for who you’ve come to be, is known to be general disappointment, I must write to you now to inform you that despite not living up to the family’s name by wielding a sword in hand and placing oneself in the line of battle like our family has been obliged to do since our earliest upbringing, I must admit the evident proudness I have for what you’ve accomplished in your life so far. I only wish for you to succeed and propel this family forward even more while preserving the true meaning of our House. May you raise your children to that of respectable young men and women to carry on the legacy that your father and I established. Despite my reservations for you and the sheer amount of disappointment I still carry for you I will admit your interest in bettering this very Kingdom that our family is sworn to protect is well known to us all and for that I respect you. Live well and when the time adorns you to pass like myself and ultimately your father I await here to welcome you both to the seven skies with the rest of our family.”     

SIGNED,

Your uncle, Nikolaus

KortrevichWaxSeal.png

REST IN PEACE

Ser Nikolaus Kortrevich

“The Strong”

( 1680 ~ 1750 )

VWMXroehTJysBFo0QyvCoyYkU7jhyrQJ3FQRr3cdYfusmwJIG6ogHZIIzubaCdRXnLDunwyndqU97JvKe6HjEEsxPrE1NROnC_dVdSr5_udDdisfF4cECo1HWvp_KvhWmylTGRmT

“A good man does everything in his power to better his family's position regardless of his own selfish desires.”

Knight Paramount of Haense

(1716 - 1750)

FULL TITLE

The titles of Nikolaus Kortrevich were; The Right Honorable, Ser Nikolaus Kortrevich, Knight Paramount of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska, Commandant Knight of the Marian Retinue, Meyster Knight of the Order of the Crow, Royal Executioner of Reza, Royal Champion of King Andrew IV.

REST IN PEACE

Ser Rodrik Kortrevich

“The Loyal” , “The Bloody” ,“The Traitor”

( 1685 ~ 1750 )

Em2krP6ka3b9vvq-dH1PI_tVPDtPnHGnnjzt2jc3C-d367Itu3CLXuacArh1ORFtWeJbaTig5cfF2ufyYwXiKd5KvE3DuprZR9l1tpqRT_38lHIChXppEqcWxuXxR9E5HNJqQqlS

Grand Knight of Renatus

(1720 - 1721)

FULL TITLE

The titles of Rodrik Kortrevich were; Ser Rodrik Joszef Kortrevich, Dragon Knight of Renatus, Hero of Renatus, Count of Salus, Lord of Rimter.

Spoiler

Firstly, I’d like to thank everyone who played an impactful role on Nikolaus’ life. With Nikolaus being the first character I really starting playing on the server with I’d like to specially thank those from the Haense community for making it as enjoyable as possible. From the highest leaders who’s playing experience far supersedes my own to the everyday Haense player who has been welcoming ever since both my friend Quinn & I joined the server. My list of people who I’d like to personally thank would go on very long if I were to write one, so I digress and continue with my final remarks. Playing Nikolaus was a pleasure and I’m eternally grateful to all those who encountered him whether that be in battle (on your side or not on your side) or inside the cities of Markev, Carolustadt, Belvitz, Reza, New Reza, Curon, Helena & Ves. It was ultimately time to say goodbye to both characters that Milen and I joined the server with but I can speak for both of us and say we’re both happy with how things played out for both of our sake’s. A huge special thanks goes out to @Piovfor helping me write this post and for being the most down to earth guy I’ve ever met. Genuinely, you have the kindest heart and I think all of us on the server can mutually agree on that. A special thanks goes out to the members of House Kortrevich; whether you’re a current player of one or a past player of one(you know who you are), I thank you for making my experience on the server as enjoyable as can be. From the early beginnings of our household when Quinn and I established it, it was merely a small gentry house that consisted of 15 people which later lifted itself to the titular status of a Margraviate after being under the phenomenal leadership of @JuliusAakerlund , @Imperium , @Emenzi and now @AndrewTech.  And finally, a special thanks goes out to everyone from the Haense community; past and present alike you’ve all played your roles to make this community one to love to be apart of and for that I thank you all. With that being said, I look forward to continue playing on the server(a healthy server that is) as Viktor Otto Kortrevich as the heir-apparent to House Kortrevich to continue the legacy Quinn and I established now over a year ago. Thank you.

Joren Gant sighs as word of the two knights death reaches Valwyck, “Now the Kortrevich clan can finally put this destructive feud behind them. It feels as though a chapter of their story has just concluded. Rest in peace”

Dietrich van Jungingen returns to his home and pours himself a glass upon hearing the news. "They were both despicable men, and I'm glad they've left this sorry world."

Duncan stumbles away silently as the clash is finished. His closest comrades ending each other’s lives. “The Feud is settled. Justice  has been served to the damned.” He makes his way back on his boat to Aeldin as tears stream from his face.

As Sigmar hears the new He recalls his last meeting with Rodrik ‘the traitor’ he called him. He remembered his anger when he executed Rodrik’s Sister, his mother. “The Final Service of an aged man was taking out the blight of his family. My only regret is that I never made ye smile Uncle Niki.”

Henry Rovin smirks when the news of the deaths reached the deserted city of Ves.

“It’s tha same ol’ story-- Ivan killing Ivan.”

Milena Ekaterina hails her once-protector with kin-like affection, offering the man her arm to ease his ascent. ”Come now, Nikolaus. You helped me much when I was a girl; allow me return the favor.”

”Both of us were so young, then, in comparison the the moment we each respectively took our last breaths. The world only spited us further, and fate became too cruel.”

Dame Primrose Kortrevich cried out as her father fell to the ground, her knuckles whitening as she gripped the edge of the ramparts. She spun quickly, her tangled hair whipping her face as she reached to take her younger sister’s hand, dashing for the tower stairs. The pair rushed together toward their father, sprinting through the open gate and out onto the bridge. “Papej, Papej please.” Emaline wept quietly, dropping to her knees with a thud. Primrose stood silently crying, a hand at her lips as she looked first toward her father, then to the uncle that had broken her young heart so long ago. She slowly lowered herself for her knees, mirroring her sister as they each took one of their father’s hands, growing ever-colder. The Kortrevich women spent their father’s last moments by his side, their gowns and armor painted with his blood.

“Goodbye, Papej.”

Lotte  spent her time in the sevens skies were she was most happiest. The Kortrevich manor in Markev. In the seven skies, everything was calm. With a sound of a door opening her head lifted. Her blue eyes catching a familiar face. Pink lips opened in a silent whisper. Before the name tumbled out her mouth. The chair clattering to the ground, her body flinging to the only man she ever loved.

For that one moment ....they were reunited. the skies seem to explode with  color she long forgotten.  

NICOLAUS!” 
https://imgur.com/gallery/geljy1Q

Posted (edited)

Erik watched from the eternal darkness as he see’s the death of both his cousins. As he sits in a lone and cold fireplace, he hears footsteps of coming towards him. He cracks a smirk and turns to meet his Cousin Rodrik, who was still wearing his bloodied armor. “So, you’ve finally decided to join me eh Rodrik? It’s been too long cousin, let me introduce you to hell”.

Ivan would look blankly at the red handkerchief that his Hauchpader gave to him, just a few saints days before his death. At that moment, the small boy’s heart was shattered like glass since his Hauchpader never saw him get knighted. He looks out into a window saddened and depressed, but with no tears.

Elgon would sit in front of the fireplace after hearing the death of his cousin. The old bull stands up and looks out the window, wondering if his time is near.

Edited by erictafoya

Markus Kortrevich was not present in Korstadt on the morning of his uncle’s passing. He had spent another night in his office located in Ekaterinburg Palace, too tired for the journey to his margraviate due to the overloaded schedule. He received word of his uncle’s last battle along with the addressed missive. As he read the parchment, a flurry of emotions overcame the Lord Palatine. His mind returned to various memories in his life when he uncle had guided him, when he had scolded him, the countless arguments over his chosen profession, the moments on the battlefield where the two had cheered triumphantly as the victory bells rang, when he gifted Markus the priceless rapier, Rodrik’s Folly. He smiled as he read the pride that his uncle felt and he made a silent oath to uphold the family’s legacy, per his uncle’s last wish. His next appointment arrived earlier than expected and Lord Kortrevich collected himself; after doing so, his eyes relayed a newfound determination.

Ser Bjolfr would be sitting in his rocking chair, embraceing the peacefulness of the seven skies. In the distance he’d make out an older gentleman whose features were uncanny of a kortrevich.  Bjolfr then  jumped out of his chair to embrace and welcome his long time friend to the seven skies. 

The former Baron of Freising, while seated atop his second favourite chair in Freisburg looks upon the skies out of his window, as he downed a glass of brandy, recollecting his memories as a young man, when Ser Nikolaus received him, along with Otto Sigmar to talk of possible knighthood. He would take a sigh, almost as if looking towards Nikolaus while shaking his head. “As each year passes, I see more and more friends missing from the table. I will remember your memories most fondly, my friend.” He would sigh, grabbing a quill.

Wilheim pens a quick letter to be sent to Primrose@Miko0322

“Primrose, I remember the times in which you were a small girl, training along Reza’s military district, happy with your life, and wise with your father’s great input. Nikolaus has been one of the most honourable knights of the realm, and a great friend of mine. I deliver my condolences to you with this letter, along with my request that you keep your head high at all times, as Ser Nikolaus would have wished you to do.”