Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

Hmmm, family words indeed, I'll bring it up in the language chat, see if it's still alive.

Well, I have spoken to an Arch Druid and two guides. They have not heard of cursing in elvish drawing the attention of ill-meaning aspects, which you clearly state several times here. So I guess this is a question for the lore masters and elvish language experts. What does it mean RPly to have the attention of ill meaning aspects from cursing in elvish?

It doesn't really translate to anything. It is more of a cultural understanding (one that has been lost with the bastardisation of Elven culture) that you get bad 'karma' from cursing.

In many ways it would still be true though. Just as much as someone who is agressive in their life will receive aggression, someone who curses in life will receive curses. There is no literal response of ill-meaning aspects, but if you find yourself coming upon some bad luck then don't be surprised.

I am not sure about sons and daughters. I remember it being done though I am not sure how. It may have been by use of -onn and the word for mother or father, depending on the gender in question.

And I seem to remember a discussion about not having brothers or sisters as all mali are not only brothers but friends. So mali'llir would work for brother or sister in the general sense. To be specific to refer to your blood brother or sister I think it was intentionally complex, that you called them the "born of my mother". Have a go with that.

Ah, so it's not as ominous as it sounds, perhaps a stint of bad luck at worst? The note made it look like cursing in elvan in particular had consequences.

For reference, my character will probably curse at the person who drugged her, so it isn't exactly undeserved.

When spoken correctly, Ancient Elven carried an air of magic to it. One could encourage a tree to grow simply by talking to it, and commune with the animals of the forest. Almost as though Elven was the language of the aspects themselves. Thus speaking curses in Elven also carried negative responses from the aspects.

Few people believe this to be true, and whether it IS true or not is shrouded in mystery as there are none still living who spoke Elven properly. All we can do now is piece together what we can of the language and hope that one day the mystery of the aspect's power will return to the lips of elves.

When spoken correctly, Ancient Elven carried an air of magic to it. One could encourage a tree to grow simply by talking to it, and commune with the animals of the forest. Almost as though Elven was the language of the aspects themselves. Thus speaking curses in Elven also carried negative responses from the aspects.

Few people believe this to be true, and whether it IS true or not is shrouded in mystery as there are none still living who spoke Elven properly. All we can do now is piece together what we can of the language and hope that one day the mystery of the aspect's power will return to the lips of elves.

My high elf or Fjarriauga, I should say speaks elven fluently, or the part of elven we know. She wouldn't care about the aspects. :P

This is an amazing resource. I've barely managed to memorize a few words, but it's definitely interesting.

I would like to see more familial words added, though. You have words for mother and father, but not sister or brother or son or daughter, or even child. I may have to sit and see if I can come up with some words for them and give them to you.

For clarification: When you say cursing in elvish draws the attention if negative aspects, what exactly does that mean IC? ( I know what the aspects are ) Bad luck? Poltergeist-like activity?

Well this is gonna be cute of me but the lack of these words, and by extension an overall lack of gender-denominating Elven words is not a coincidence.

The correct word for sibling is in fact 'llir', 'friend', owing to a suggested 'communal family' sense of the Elven race. You will see lore-intensive Elven characters often denote their fellow Elves as brothers or cousins (cousins usually reserved for a subrace different from the speaker). The justification for this one big happy family is rooted in the earliest iterations of LotC lore, where it was stated that Elven children, being so precious, are as much a communal responsibility as they are a responsibility of their birth parents. You will see very little Elven orphans around.

Child? 'Malii'. Again, the words are there, just not always where you expect them.

EDIT: Adding to that, 'cousin' and 'brother' are distinct mostly to the High Elves, who attach greater value to (sub)race. The values of the High Elves are however 'artificial', different from Malin's first descendants, thus the language does not stretch to accommodate them. cousin and brother are hence one in the same in Elven.

Interesting. You definitely need that cultural understanding to figure that out, though. Thanks for clearing that up.

Updated! Enjoy!

The new calendar system means we'll have to change the meaning of the calendar words.

kalem: Malin's year, - Roughly 108 Aegian years, denotes the length of a High Prince's reign.
is now kalem: Malin's year - Roughly 52 Anthos years. Once used as the length of a High Prince's reign
karim: Fortday, - The measure of time from one Dwarven sleeping cycle to the next, roughly 72 Aegian days.

is now karim: Fortday, - The measure of time from one Dwarven sleeping cycle to the next, roughly one month or 24 Anthos days

Had to try converting my username into elvish and giving my character the name, does Vulnii'Maln (little fox father) sound good?

Maln is not an adjective therefore it should be: Vulnii maln

Even as a character name?

The new calendar system means we'll have to change the meaning of the calendar words.

kalem: Malin's year, - Roughly 108 Aegian years, denotes the length of a High Prince's reign.

is now kalem: Malin's year - Roughly 52 Anthos years. Once used as the length of a High Prince's reign

karim: Fortday, - The measure of time from one Dwarven sleeping cycle to the next, roughly 72 Aegian days.

is now karim: Fortday, - The measure of time from one Dwarven sleeping cycle to the next, roughly one month or 24 Anthos days

I like thinking ahead. This must most certainly happen.