Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

((Most of this is decent,but could use some revision in my opinion. I'm still somewhat confused about the clock system your proposing,can you make it more clear?

Also I feel as though the language will need all of the question words (i.e. Who/what/when/were/why) simply because it's rather confusing for most people as is.we want to make it difficult but not impossible. I'll admit I just fast-read this,because I need to leave for work. I'll read it more throughly when I get off (7hours or so from now).see you then!))

Basically a talima is 90 minutes. To make a crude assumption on real time: sunrise is at 6am and sunset is 6pm. Therefore Karinah is 6am, Ker is 6pm. The halfway point is therefore 12pm, which is Talikarinah when the sun is highest, likewise Taliker for 12am. Time is more accurately maintained as a number of 90 minutes after 6am, 12pm, 6pm, 12am as opposed to our 60 minute clock. This is mostly for a symmetrical circular system whereby the 24 hour day (or 16 talima day) is divided into four parts, each given a name, and four further sections denoted as a number of talima after a part. Try cutting a circle and you'll get it.

Its not that confusing if you forget our ways of keeping time and look at it based on sundials.

I disagree about needing all the question words. The only one I think may have purpose to maintain seperate is 'when', seen as its understanding is actually useful. What, aside from appeasing our desire for specific clarification at all times, does having all those words really give us? The point of "Heya'" is that the word that it is followed by would denote what the question is about, therefore removing the need for different words.

OOC: Elves get there own language too!

OOC: Elves get there own language too!

((were trying hard! it was thanks to you orcs that i was inspired to help with this XD))

i think its wonderfull that you are trying to make a language for the elves and im trying to learn it so if enybody can tell me if this sentence is right i wold be thankful.

Lye tenna omentahyem kae´ilir: (Mening) Until we meet again my friend.

Its quite hard to learn this language but i not gonna stop until i can quite a bit of this language.

Daeron Eledhwen

Scroll down on page 1 of the post, there is some information on sentence formats. You cannot directly translate enlgish words to elven and make it a sentence as the language structures are different. I personally don't beleive that sentence would ever exist in Elven as there is no discernable subject, and therefore no purpose in the statement. However the expectation of restoring the language is the commonality of mispronunciations. Therefore in the interest of spreading the language, no matter how brutal the translation, I beleive the sentence would be worded kae'ilir tenna lye omentahyem

So after midterms this week I think I am back to put through some necessary updates on this.

I'll keep you posted.

Scroll down on page 1 of the post, there is some information on sentence formats. You cannot directly translate enlgish words to elven and make it a sentence as the language structures are different. I personally don't beleive that sentence would ever exist in Elven as there is no discernable subject, and therefore no purpose in the statement. However the expectation of restoring the language is the commonality of mispronunciations. Therefore in the interest of spreading the language, no matter how brutal the translation, I beleive the sentence would be worded kae'ilir tenna lye omentahyem

Thank you but ihave a hard time understanding the language mostly because the information is in english and im not very good at it(Im from sweden)

((

@Elindor: If you're interested in creating a timescale, may I suggest you create one that justifies the 'elven hours/days/months'? As you know, people use 'Elven X' to denote a real-life timescale, but there is no in-lore explanation as to why elves have such a calender.

I think it would be very useful and lore-correct to create something of the sort.

))

As per the request, I have done some things on the wiki with Time and Calendars. So here's the Ancient Elven words for these new timekeeping devices.

Karim - Fortday - 72 Days in-game - The measure of time from one wake from a sleeping cycle to the next wake ((RL calendar day))

Tarem - Elven Week - 2 years 16 days in-game - The time it is observed in which elves are equally awake and asleep seven cycles ((RL calendar week))

Kalem - Malin's Year - 107 years 5 months 20 days - The length of reign a High Prince has before another election is held. ((RL calendar year))

my grammar sense is very poor, so i do not understand this at all. could you perhaps help me?

I wish to translate "May the two watch over you"

After a long time without definitive clarification I can finally present to you: Ancient Elven Numbers!

1 oem

2 niut

3 hael

4 vailu

5 kulin

6 banih

7 laier

8 esun

9 moiel

10 telu

100 matelu [ma-(mar-) a preffix for 'very']

1000 marmatelu

Much like the grammatical structure, numbers are structured similarly to japanese for double digits and beyond (i.e three-onehundred-five-ten-four). ' is used to link a number with its value for 10, 100 and 1000.

So 14 (fourteen) is moiel vailu [10.4]

54 (fifty four) is kulin'telu vailu [5.10.4]

354 (three hundred fifty four) is hael'matelu kulin'telu vailu [3.100.5.10.4]

my grammar sense is very poor, so i do not understand this at all. could you perhaps help me?

I wish to translate "May the two watch over you"

A couple problems. Firstly the 'The Two' makes a number into a pronoun title and the ambiguity of the wording makes it complicated to properly translate. I solved this by putting an honourific prefix in front of the number two.

Second 'watch over' is unknown, however there is 'protect/preserve' which is the closest translation I can figure for you. Thankfully part of what we are spreading with this language is the expectation for mispronunciation and wrong translating to preserve the mysticysm of the ancient tongue. Therefore whether this is correct or not, perhaps we will never know.

aheniut kaean'nae evareh {May honourific two protect/preserve your spirit}

Note to all interested posters, this forum is not for you to have your statements translated into Ancient Elven. If you are just trying to sound cool by speaking Elven then learn the language by studying it, the way everyone else has had to.

((Well at least this will be easier to learn than Irish. *Start staring at OP for hours trying to make a sentence*

EDIT: What's an affix? Is it like suffixes or prefixes? Is it both?))

Wow, been awhile since I visited this thread....

Nice work guys!

I am confused about the Elven year. Are we going to elect a new high prince at the end of this Elven year?

Just add these 2 words, then I'm happy:

-Brisingr : Fire

-Adurna : Water