Holy Hells do I Hate The Druids. A Hating of Inactivity and Magics.

VoidandNull

9 hours ago, VoidandNull said:

getting magic on this server is immensely hard as is. Trying to get an Evo magic makes me have to suck at least 20 voidal mage's taints before I can even get close to a person with a TA.

Just be fun to roleplay with and look for friends not solely look for magic and you'll have a better time maybe. I openly teach too many players with my expansion of voidal magic TAs mostly due to them generally not sucking up being constantly enjoyable/interesting rather the one of encounter.

This is the same with every type of magic group. Just be friends, if you view making friends sucking up to people then it's pretty shitty

Preach it Void.

2 hours ago, Slorbin said:

I thought this was going to be a post on how the Druids are stupid for having Animii and [supposedly] having smoggers. THAT is stupid.

I can answer this briefly- Druids have a lot of different types of players, who sometimes lead very different lives before they become druids

Or, they pick up skills throughout their time as druids. There are druids that knowe Animii and smoggers, I can say that for sure. As for why a druid would know how to make smoggers, it isnt that hard to figure out why druids would want to know how something like that works, to figure out what they can do about it

10 hours ago, VoidandNull said:

So can you tell me why a nation and a conclave of only Druidic and Aspect followers DO ******* NOTHING 24/7, 365 DAYS A ******* YEAR? To the heavens above I preach on why you all are inactive.

10 hours ago, VoidandNull said:

they are Wood Elves.

You answered your own question.

Expect lots of ST salt mining in the replies because you're expressing the opinions of a player in agony and they think them failing you is just you being cringe. This is explosive feedback, but it reflects the sentiment of a lot of players on LotC and shouldn't be neglected in the slightest for its phrasing. These are real problems.

EDIT: Read through the replies, found the salt mining.

surprise surprise most elven places aside from like 2 are completely dead, almost like that's what happens when there's a bazillion elven settlements. cant do that the way the human playerbase can

elves belong with elves

on a another note, its extremely hard to actually consider anything you have to say when it comes off as more like a babyrage tantrum than a well-constructed feedback post

1 hour ago, VoidandNull said:

Oh my gods, thank you all so much for getting me to the second most responded topic this morning. This post was mainly a bet with one of my friends that I could get to the first page of popular topics by morning. I am now 15 dollars deep, and rolling in the dough. Thank you all for unknowingly helping me get money. Stay on that LOTC grind everyone.

Reveal hidden contents

I Was Only Pretending To Be Retarded | Know Your Meme

29 minutes ago, ᴜɴᴡɪʟʟɪɴɢʟʏ said:

surprise surprise most elven places aside from like 2 are completely dead, almost like that's what happens when there's a bazillion elven settlements.

I've felt for a long time that the only way to fix the Elven playerbase is to approve only one Elven nation and deny the creation of any new Elven settlements at all. Do the same thing with the Dwarves and with Orcs. There aren't enough actively participating players to fill the myriad schism communities that plague Elvenkind, or just any race in general on a server that mostly floats around 150. I still remember the discourse about how Savoy's activity increasing directly corresponded to the activity of other settlements decreasing. With our god awful player retention rate, players are basically a finite resource and their distribution needs to be managed or you wind up succumbing to the tragedy of the commons. This'd require management of how vassals are formed, but the multitude of empty landscar vassals plaguing this map has proven to me players aren't responsible enough not to be supervised in their creation anyway.

Tragedy-farm-example-Snip.png

Every Elf wants to be the leader. Crabs in a bucket.

"But they'll bicker and fight..."

That's called activity. Exit your hugbox. Roleplay with strangers.

Man actually just kicked a hive of stinger-less bees, huh?

9 minutes ago, Caelria said:

I've felt for a long time that the only way to fix the Elven playerbase is to approve only one Elven nation and deny the creation of any new Elven settlements at all. Do the same thing with the Dwarves and with Orcs. There aren't enough actively participating players to fill the myriad schism communities that plague Elvenkind, or just any race in general on a server that mostly floats around 150. I still remember the discourse about how Savoy's activity increasing directly corresponded to the activity of other settlements decreasing. With our god awful player retention rate, players are basically a finite resource and their distribution needs to be managed or you wind up succumbing to the tragedy of the commons. This'd require management of how vassals are formed, but the multitude of empty landscar vassals plaguing this map has proven to me players aren't responsible enough not to be supervised in their creation anyway.

Every Elf wants to be the leader. Crabs in a bucket.

"But they'll bicker and fight..."

That's called activity. Exit your hugbox. Roleplay with strangers.

or we could allow warclaims (like they're about to do) and a few like minded players could conquer all these 4 man settlements and form a single elven nation : ))

not every roleplay end needs to be enforced through brute force admin tyranny

28 minutes ago, monkeypoacher said:

or we could allow warclaims (like they're about to do) and a few like minded players could conquer all these 4 man settlements and form a single elven nation : ))

I'd love to see how many Elves roleplay in a nation conquered by PvPers versus how many just log out and don't come back to LotC. Seems like every time that's happened so far they all go somewhere else like Sutica or Elysium (or a human nation that can protect them). Happened similarly to humans in the War of Two Emperors or so I'm told. Systems like this work great in worlds where people can't just log out. I love activity and RP dynamicism, and I agree war should be freely waged, but bullying people who can't defend themselves into one place so your number is really big and then killing anybody who leaves isn't much fun either. Less heavy handed to just not let fast burning temporary alternative settlements start and dilute activity.

Not every problem can be solved by brute force actual tyranny either. You catch a lot more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. If you want to do Alexander the Great roleplay at least call it what it is rather than masquerading under the banner of server health, because once Alexander the Great is gone the the empire will fall apart just as fast.

1 hour ago, monkeypoacher said:

The only time elves under humans worked was helves under Savoy in 2014-15 and the reiter-welf protectorate, as caelria said people would just **** off or don't bother logging back on

That said, I think a somewhat full-elven autonomous state would work provided they don't just self-segregate in separate ghettos

12 hours ago, VoidandNull said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Disclaimer: Before you start shitting on my Druidic community, just take this all with a grain of salt. I don't hate all of you except for Zilldude. Unattune him as quick as possible please. 

Yes the title is a clickbait. Yes I do hate druids. Yes I also hate magic. This rant is going to be in two parts mainly because I have criticism for the magic system and community as a whole. And before you ask, yes I am coping, seething, and malding. Please do the same if you get angry at this. 

Part One: The Druids

Oh my god, I never though I would have to make this rant in a lifetime. But I got annoyed and decided to write it anyways cause why not. Druids. They're in the southern and eastern reaches of the map, as well as some parts of the west. They come in many shapes and sizes, and most of them are golden brown because they are Wood Elves. They wear tattoos, revealing clothes, no shoes, and usually are thought of as peace loving hippies(They are). So can you tell me why a nation and a conclave of only Druidic and Aspect followers DO ******* NOTHING 24/7, 365 DAYS A ******* YEAR? To the heavens above I preach on why you all are inactive. Don't even say you can't do anything, cause you can. Go to Freeport which is plagued by smog and bless it, attack Oren because they HAVE to be killing heaps upon heaps of livestock to feed their population IRPly. Go after the Azdrazi for revenge! I don't know, but every time I ask someone 'what have the druids done', they always give me a bullshit answer. And when I bring these up, people mention the "fAtHeR cIrClE". The Father Circle has done nothing besides fight an evil tree which no one knew about besides druids themselves. 

I would love to help and join the community, but trying to become one is like trying to get into a mean girl cliché at a highschool. People speak behind your back, say some shit, and even doing anything CLOSE to ecoterrorism that gets your town put on a map means you instantly get shut down and unattuned because you "did something bad". Well what the **** are you supposed to do? Hide behind a wall all your life and do ERP and Slice of Life? Sometimes I think Druids are obsolete because of the fact that I could do more with a knight group that fights for nature like 'Team Trees'.  The Vale only has people on when Miven is on, and I'm still surprised that the Druidic Grove has their tile, cause every time I go there, there isn't a single player to be found. I once wanted to be one of you, a cool nature loving hippie who could turn ecoterrorist, but your community is too scared to be hated by anyone, so you don't do anything anymore. 

Part Two: The Magic Community
Speaking of Highschool Clichés, getting magic on this server is immensely hard as is. Trying to get an Evo magic makes me have to suck at least 20 voidal mage's taints before I can even get close to a person with a TA. My good friend Lockage's once told me "If you want magic, get close to the community and the people." I love you Lock, and I have your feet pics to lick, BUT HOW THE **** AM I SUPPOSED TO GET CLOSE TO SPOOKS, AZDRAZI, AND ANY OTHER DANGEROUS GROUP OF MAGIC USERS? Please if you have any advice tell me, but as it stands, magic is gatekeeped so ******* hard its almost as bad as the problem with have with nations closing their gates, if not WORSE. I get wanting to give your friends magic, I do, and I also get wanting to keep a cool magic to yourself to keep yourself as your own Lord of the Craft, but at some point it has to be spread at least SOMEWHAT

I also hate the fact that its borderline OOC and metagaming when friends give each other magics and feats. For example, lets say some dude gets Heraldry for the Azdrazi. He's a bit know by the others and somewhat in the Cliché, but he's not trusted enough to become an Azdrazi. He sees a guy have his Heraldry taken away and is like "damn I don't wanna be that guy". A second later, he's given it back for no IRP reason, only because he's good friends with guy. The other player is baffled, and thinks its okay to do. So he does the same, and is pushed from the community because he isn't good friends with the others. Seems like something to happen, right? I don't know, it may just be me but all of this advice I'm given on "how to get a teacher" and "Don't ask just get close to them" seems like actual bullshit to me.

So I've take the best alternative possible. Just not wanting magic at all anymore. Turns out, I can just have Aurum arrows and snipe a mage with a longbow or Arblest from 20 blocks away as long as they are in sight of me. Druid attacking me? **** it, hit them with another bow shot and rush them before they can do shit. At the end of the day, why leer for gatekeept magic when you can just **** them up with a bow and arrow like an English Chad. 

Also, don't hate the Azdrazi was just using it as an example cause it was the first thing I though of lol. Please don't hunt me down.

if you want to be an azdrazi herald hmu at

Els#3871

29 minutes ago, Caelria said:

Less heavy handed to just not let fast burning temporary alternative settlements start and dilute activity.

Thing is though, if you go back far enough in LOTC history, 90% of the main settlements were once alternative settlements in some form or another.

Sure, you can always centralize the server by making only a handful of settlements exist, but on modern LOTC that’d result in even more political stagnation than what we currently have. 

Unification doesn’t even require the staff to force it. Atlas, a map well known for splintering of communities, saw humanity reform back into a united empire as well as the dwarves getting back together as the confederation of hammers after splintering a ton due to RP reasons. The only problem with splintering on Almaris is that there are no methods to merge communities back together without OOC plotting. You can’t crusade other settlements to unite your peoples like how Renatus did in Atlas.

58 minutes ago, Caelria said:

With our god awful player retention rate, players are basically a finite resource and their distribution needs to be managed or you wind up succumbing to the tragedy of the commons. 

This is what activity checks are supposed to do and it’s been a complete disaster. Activity checks lead to hugboxing and I hope they aren’t what you’re thinking of when you talk about player distribution.

IMO players don’t really need to be controlled like that. It really only benefits existing NLs to have such a controlled environment. I wouldn’t want to play on a server where players are managed by staff like resources in a grand strategy game.