Sleeping Embers [PK]

Hyperdron

SLEEPING EMBERS

viktor_maybe_cropped.png

Viktor Eldrsson

1787 - 1856

It was a personal custom now for Viktor Eldrsson to make the trek up to the Hearth Temple. Day by day, the journey had become harder and harder. Every sunrise had heralded further decay, further weakness, as his body slowly withered away. To the weary Highlander, this was no more than a challenge for him to overcome - at first, because his duty had not yet been fulfilled, but now it was for simple validation, that his continued existence on this mortal realm had value. He fought against his natural degeneration; it was a battle he knew he would not last forever, but it brought him peace of mind. To struggle against inevitability had been one of the guiding tenets of his life, after all.

On one certain day, as he walked this gravelly path he had walked so many times before, he thought back to a moment from a couple of years ago. When Rûne, then the Purifiers' Head Scholar, stood beside him at the hearth, and received the news that they were to be the next Lord Purifier. When he heaved from his shoulders the satchel that he had hauled up the mountain since Thorfinn Kursin's death. When he handed the Lord Purifier's ring over for the first and final time. Passing on the responsibility left him feeling strangely weightless after over 30 years of leadership, going on 40. He remembered how after that day was the first time he had truly acknowledged his end was near.

The temple was quiet, as it usually was. The carpet beneath muffled the sound of Viktor's heavy footsteps as he approached the hearth, its flames fluttering gently from the light gust of wind that had snuck in as he entered. With a soft grunt, he sat himself down at his usual spot, accompanied by his usual thoughts, and faced the warmth before him. He let his ice blue eyes settle upon the fire's deepest hues, where ambers and yellows gave way to tender whites. In the comfort of the Father's Flame, he felt himself begin to drift - and this time, he would answer His call.

His final reflection was on a Northern sunrise. The clink of bottles; the smell of fresh snow; the laughter of an old friend.

Viktor's body would be found resting before the hearth, in much the same manner as he had often meditated. His elbows were leant upon his thighs, his calloused hands were clasped together, and his white hair fell gracefully around his head. There was a small smile upon his lips. It was certain now - Viktor Eldrsson had left for the Father's Halls.

Spoiler

OOC

Well, that's my first character gone forever. I wasn't expecting to throw myself into leadership so quickly, all things considered, but it was an incredibly fulfilling time and I am very grateful to all of those who helped me out. Traditional shoutouts now follow:

@Generi @sarahbarah @Qaz_The_Great My app buddy, my app assistant, and my first steward encounter! You all were an important part of my first couple of weeks on the server, perhaps more OOCly than RPly but we don't sweat the details. Thanks for helping me settle in!

@Thannon Tannon Svartvind was Viktor's first good RP friend on this server. I hope you appreciate the little tidbit I threw into this post! I'll be sure to come visit Elysium on some of my new characters.

@DAENGIE You ran some neat Purifier events before your character's untimely demise - hopefully I continued the trend well enough. Now that the Order's back in your hands, best of luck!

@AstriaS I feel like I abused your knowledge as High Keeper far too much in the early days. I very much appreciate the deific level of patience you held. Also, you're just generally a thoroughly impressive woman.

@Operator_Bugman absolutely GOATed Purifier. The Order would be dead if it wasn't for you. Thanks for being so consistently there for events and other such RP!

@CrymsonTheroden Nria, what a guy. In the grand scheme of things, the time we knew each other was short, but it left a big impression on me. I wonder how the story may have gone if Theroden had completed the Rite?

@Javert Hali ;-;

@MasonMcBadbat haha spiders

@_pr0fit My king o7 Best of luck with Norland, you have a bunch of solid players by your side so I'm sure it'll go swimmingly. Iron from Ice!

And with that, it's time to move onto new characters. I hardly explored civilization beyond Norland's borders with Viktor, so I'm hoping to make some nationless non-humans this time - I already have a few ideas. Whether they settle or not, I think it'll be nice to visit nations with a purely unaffiliated perspective. Until then, I'll see y'all when I see y'all!

Spoiler
2 minutes ago, Hyperdron said:

deific level of patience

Why, yes, I am renowned for being incredibly patient, as it happens.

Mera Camian's lips bent downward into a scowl, a most common expression for the woman nowadays. "Well, it was coming eventually, I suppose. At least he made a good story of it. May you find fair winds on your journeys to come."

Orin Ve'lvenest was cleaning glass shards his workstation when the news reached him. He dropped his broom and dustpan and fell to the floor in a fit of tears.

"We never got to celebrate much together did we?"

Edited by Operator_Bugman

Upon Viktor's entrance into the Father's Hall, he was greeted by an old friend. "Well, took ya long enough ya ol' shite. Glad t'see ya didn't abandon the position we voted ya inteh."

As Viktor made his way into the father's halls, he was greeted by a brunette lass with one hand, and a memory to recount of a few bears, chilling in a tavern
unknown.png

Spoiler

Hyper my guy, I'm glad I got to start my LotC journey around the same time as you. We may have gone in different directions, but vibing with you when we first started out was so fun, and I always got a smile on my face whenever we bumped into each other after that. Rest in peace Viktor, I can't wait to see your next character!

21 minutes ago, Hyperdron said:

@Generi @sarahbarah @Qaz_The_Great My app buddy, my app assistant, and my first steward encounter! You all were an important part of my first couple of weeks on the server, perhaps more OOCly than RPly but we don't sweat the details. Thanks for helping me settle in!

Ever since Orin informed him of Viktor's passing, Theroden had felt a sense of profound loss as he hadn't in a long time. He ultimately decides to have a drink and quietly reflect for a time at his current home, so far away from Varhelm. He muses to himself as if Viktor were present to hear him. "You're an example I've always tried and failed to follow. You believed in me when I had no belief in myself. You advised me as best you could when I felt at odds with my faith. Even when I decided to abandon the Purifier order before my final trial, you didn't blame me like you could've. I don't know if I'll be deemed worthy to enter the Allfather's Halls when I pass on, but I know you're already there. So, if we don't get to share a drink in the afterlife, here's one final toast to you." Theroden then raised his glass of ale and drank.

((Absolute props to you Hyperdron. The Order was a lot of fun with you at the helm and it left a big impression on me in return. I'll always wonder that too, such is rp.))

Edited by Crymson

7af3c52515a5ad097f36e5d728e7525e.png
An old man, close to one hundred years old, walks among the norlanders in the square of the Capital, using now a wooden cane to walk but still standing tall, with a backpack hanging from his shoulder. He walks up the cold stone steps that lead to the Palace and the Hearth Temple of Varhelm, stepping inside it, Tannon climbs up the ladder that leads to the tower, he sets his cane against the chair and backpack on the back it, not before he took out a bottle and two wooden mugs. The man sits down on the chair that overlooks the city, filling the two mugs with the Raijkia of Viktory, his old and deceased friend's drink. He takes on mug for himself and puts the other down, hitting it with his own for a toast, taking a sip after, watching the city.