Why so many AFK people these days

NotEvilAtAll

I barely run into afk people tbh

I've met more people flat out not willing to respond to rp or being dry af with three word responses more of an issue than afkers. 

And it's cuz they all in VC with discord brain. 

9 hours ago, Venomous_Pup said:

Why would you go back to LotC? You're going back to the place with two idiot Admins, one of which is off developing some blob game and the other Admin is the reason nothing plugin wise gets done and abuses his position, not to mention how toxic the staff team is, you know this, you've seen the staff chat before, you've seen how vicious the ST can get and how abusive the Orenian Mods are, they shit talk everyone who isn't in their circle jerk. You have seen the depths of the depravity of men because of this server. The 'communities' care about you? They only want two things from you, to grind and click for their Nations, they don't care about your stupid incoherent ramblings about whatever is on your mind right that second. You think it is going to be different because you're doing your best to improve yourself and helping your friends have a blast? It is going to be the same all over again, did you forget about how most of your friends get utterly trashed by the staff and community at large and get locked out of most things, yet everyone else who is by far worse barely suffer the consequence for the toxic slander they spread. 

Think, Pup, Think!

Reveal hidden contents

There is no roleplay, only OOC grind, I will afk in the Nation I've declared support for so they may enjoy their RP and I pray I get a crumb of such RP if I've been a good enough activity farm. Please, take pity on me those who are in cliques, I understand why now, it was the only way to have fun, to avoid those who would PG or metagame, if you take me in, please have patience for I have brain rot, but I can change PLEASE SAVE ME!

Think_Pup.png

I agree with your sentiment regarding the staff chats. I felt like an outsider when I had Lore Master rank because of the sort of invective & b*tching that I'd read at times in the staff chats. I just don't see the benefit to one's person or one's mind to be typing out the ramblings and bemoaning of x player or y player-base. It isn't healthy and those who engaged in don't need to lawyer for themselves to pretend it is healthy.

I will disagree with you about the "communities". When I returned for the short few months during the pandemic, I found a number of settlements that genuinely wanted to sit with you & come up with creative roleplay ventures. One of which is Dunrath where we essentially created roleplay around 2-3 languages that had similarities and how those languages morphed over time.

1 hour ago, Gundam Engineer said:

I've met more people flat out not willing to respond to rp or being dry af with three word responses more of an issue than afkers. 

And it's cuz they all in VC with discord brain. 

Unfortunately, I've found this in addition to the AFKers as well. I had ST/Event Team PEX when I was Lore Master and made it a habit to throw random events around night-time that were mostly environmental. I couldn't tell you how many AFKers I tp'd to or those who just flat out revolted against a small event involving x animal or  environmental factor. I found it silly to be honest.

19 minutes ago, Gaius Marius said:

-snip-

When I said communities in that shid post I more or less meant Nations, having fun on LotC sometimes really depends on the cards you've been dealt, some communities are amazing, mixed, to just horrible. But even then your experiences may vary with communities on LotC. You've factors regarding yourself and how you RP, and conduct yourself. Then factors outside of your control, like how people perceive you and how themselves act. I think outright calling an array of things such as communities, evil, terrible, dog water, etc in a serious manner is silly, I just wish it was more easier to find some of the better communities in LotC. Ultimately I think everyone should just do what they find enjoyable and listen to what people have to say within reason in order to get a more enjoyable experience out of LotC. Anyone who thinks otherwise should remember this is a Minecraft Roleplay server without a clear vision and is basically an amalgamation of the best things the community and staff can offer, and then the most absolute dumbest shit you could possibly witness. 

I barely run into afk people, if anything I have trouble finding people at all to start RP with- but that's because ghosts can't(and arguably shouldn't) get into cities, and the enormous sweeping landscapes of various nations are utterly dead.

The focus on centralising activity is why people are AFKing in big cities.

I think there are multiple factors which add up to contribute to what we may perceive as many people being "AFK". The one factor which i'll focus on is on @Narthok's distinction between RP takers and RP makers.

An RP maker is the person who, as the name purports, creates roleplay. And an RP taker is the tendency for a person to receive RP without adding something of value which would progress the RP. I'd begin with the premise that most people exhibit both tendencies at different points in time, and that there are times to be both an RP maker and taker when playing a character.

Firstly, on "RP takers". Under this theory i'd say that a lot of people on the server assume roleplay will come to them, or that they will stumble upon roleplay which would intrigue them. This is likely one of the primarch reasons for an apparent lack of RP, as you see people standing around cities, or travelling from city to city only to log off because 'there's no RP'. Off the top of my head there seem to be three reasons for this.

(A) Many characters on this server, especially played by younger less experienced rpers, do not have coherent goals to work towards. With so many options for what one can do on a character it may be cumbersome to decides "I want this character to just be X, or just be Y". Because of this, we find players just wandering primarily because their characters are not developed enough to generate RP. To those people, i'd recommend joining a guild, nation, guardforce, or community and dedicating the majority of your RP time to that individual group. Instead of being a jack of all trades, you can become a master of one, and in that you will find an immense depth of roleplay you otherwise would not have came across by just lingering at the surface of LOTC.

(B) Event Team often acts more as 'dm's', as opposed to facilitators of players RP goals. This isn't entirely true, as I have seen ET on many occasions create roleplay on a whim, or at the behest of other players. Despite this, the majority of ET are the the 'dms' of lotc, having preplanned events that larger communities are afforded the luxury of participating in. However, this doesn't quite boil down to  smaller scale communities or players who may be skirted the OOC political clout to coordinate with ET and create events, and instead are expected to create it themselves. Because the accessibility to ET events is scant, many plans which many players may want create are effectively rendered implausible which limits the scope of RP a character can create.

(C) Limited Scope of RP possibilities, and a lack of creativity. On the coat-tails of (B), I think that the limited scope of what players can do without ET assistance is limited to non-consequential RP, casual RP, Political RP, criminal RP, family rp, Lore-finding rp, and then group rp which usually boils down to a mixture of the previously mentioned RP streams. While no RP type is greater than the next, and there still remains unmentioned niche rp types such as philosophical rp or occult rp, I think the mentioned types of RP are the majority types of RP people participate in, with the widest being casual/non-consequential RP. Because an LOTC player is generally limited to these particular forms on a daily basis the actual allure of meeting strangers is mitigated. If the random person on the street is not a big name, a staff member, or does not come up to you with RP, The expectation that the RP will result in non-consequential or casual RP can be seen in the eyes of a moderately experienced LOTC player as high. And for those who are not interested in this type of RP, this can create the unwillingness to RP with strangers on LOTC. To draw an analogy, in real life how often do you actually create a long lasting connection, or actually progress something in your own life when you are just walking around in public? Generally you are loitering around waiting for time to pass, walking to a destination, or walking and talking with friends. I'd argue the public space on LOTC acts the same way. 

If you find that you're too heavily leaning on the side of an "RP taker", there are a few things you can do. 

(1) Is to create a particular goal for a given character that you can work towards, that also requires other people. Does your character want to be a criminal boss? He will certainly need underlings to raise into the syndicate. Does your character want to have a vineyard? He will need permission from a lord to purchase this vineyard. Or more broadly, does your character want to see world peace? Well, you will certainly need others to advocate for you.

(2) Be realistic in your goals. If your character wants to be a criminal boss he cannot start there. They will likely need to start with petty crimes, and will need to attract players towards his syndicate with the promise of many mina, he will also need a place of operations. You will also need to bribe many lawmen and guards to avert their gaze from your business, perhaps employ homeless people to be the eyes and ears of your operation to get a leg up on city intelligence. Does your character want to buy a vineyard? He will first need mina to purchase the land first, and likely, they will need a staff who would realistically guard, and upkeep the vineyard grounds. Does your character want world peace? They will need connections, and lots of them, they will need to conduct various meetings with world leaders and influence them towards good.

(3) Join a group. This same criminal boss could also start differently, if there already is a criminal boss maybe start by joining them and ranking up in this group. Your character will learn the ways of organized crime and be able to use the connections of this group to facilitate their own criminal syndicate. Do you want a vineyard? Perhaps to gain money you can work as a guard or diplomat for the lord or lady you wish to purchase from. After years of service to them you can then ask to purchase this vineyard. Or if you want to achieve world peace you could join a monastary, or the church of Canon, and spread world peace through theological discussion and the expansion of the churches power in the world.

(4) Do not get comfortable. There is always more RP you can do. Once you have become a criminal boss in Providence now it's time to expand. You can increase the amount of roleplay your syndicate does by expanding to the next duchy, or barony and plant your tendrils further to generate even more money and power. After you've gotten this vineyard perhaps you should sell your grapes and turn it into a famed wine bought and sold in Taverns across the continent. Or if you'd like world-peace, how would you achieve this ever distant goal? Facilitating a treaty between warring nations? When there is no war your char can create orphanages, or monastaries.

(5) Create longevity. In America of our three branches of government, we have two the Legislative branch and Executive branch. The legislative branch is in charge of 'creating' laws, and policies within the country. In a symbiotic relationship we also have the Executive branch which is in charge of 'facilitating these laws'. Through various executive agencies this branch must bring legislation from the world of 'ideas' to have a physical manifestation so that these laws can come to fruition and be 'real' overtime.

As an RP maker, your goal is to generate fun RP that other players, but it doesn't stop there. I'd also argue RP makers have two other responsibilities which are (A) to create fun roleplay, and (B) to make sure their ideas are actually being roleplayed.

Ultimately, there's a time to be an RP maker and a time to be an RP taker. Its entirely possible to be both at once. It's a balancing act which you must find a middle ground on. Otherwise you will be an RP taker that never creates rp for others, or you will be an RP maker that only furthers their own story. Find balance.

end rant

Edited by Booklight12

19 hours ago, Venomous_Pup said:

Why would you go back to LotC? You're going back to the place with two idiot Admins, one of which is off developing some blob game and the other Admin is the reason nothing plugin wise gets done and abuses his position, not to mention how toxic the staff team is, you know this, you've seen the staff chat before, you've seen how vicious the ST can get and how abusive the Orenian Mods are, they shit talk everyone who isn't in their circle jerk. You have seen the depths of the depravity of men because of this server. The 'communities' care about you? They only want two things from you, to grind and click for their Nations, they don't care about your stupid incoherent ramblings about whatever is on your mind right that second. You think it is going to be different because you're doing your best to improve yourself and helping your friends have a blast? It is going to be the same all over again, did you forget about how most of your friends get utterly trashed by the staff and community at large and get locked out of most things, yet everyone else who is by far worse barely suffer the consequence for the toxic slander they spread. 

Think, Pup, Think!

Hide contents

There is no roleplay, only OOC grind, I will afk in the Nation I've declared support for so they may enjoy their RP and I pray I get a crumb of such RP if I've been a good enough activity farm. Please, take pity on me those who are in cliques, I understand why now, it was the only way to have fun, to avoid those who would PG or metagame, if you take me in, please have patience for I have brain rot, but I can change PLEASE SAVE ME!

Think_Pup.png

lol i genuinely think this is the funniest most out of touch post ive ever read on lotc.

First of all, what OOC grind is happening right now? Vortex has been removed, it is in fact very boring for anyone who would like to grind on anything -- the amount of grinding you have to do for anything has been reduced to an absolute minimum.

The fact that you think 'Orenian mods' are abusive and biased really says something. Even I have to admit that the staff team has definitely work on protocols and making sure the team members aren't acting out of line. Can they make questionable decisions sometimes, absolutely. But the idea that in 2022 there are orenian mods out to get you is really funny (the idea that oren represents some sort of pvp nation in 2022 is also really funny).

I'd be willing to go as far as saying pvp goons as we historically think about them are a rarity on lotc these days and most people on the server do a fair amount of text based roleplay. I also think it's really bad faith to say people who want to pvp and utilize warclaims are somehow not roleplaying in the process.

"don't need to RP with people who aren't going to be respectful towards you, like PGing, or metagaming, or just a unsavory OOCly." And here it is folks. The smoking gun. "Don't rp with people you don't like ooc'ly or you have predispositions about". Way to post a crazy paragraph to completely contradict yourself. I don't believe there's a real reason to avoid roleplay with someone unless you're ooc'ly busy, or a person is legitimately harassing you via OOC means. If someone powergames or metagames, call a moderator. If someone is violating you, call a moderator. What you just described is exactly the opposite of what that theory in that magazine suggests.

Anyways, I think the true answer to this thread is that people are more inclined to roleplay when there's something interesting going on, or conflict. Most people would rather be doing something else than chatting with a rando over a fake beer for 3 hours while they wait for something to happen. 

People who are text rp purists who don't believe lotc should be a certain way have been trying to remove all gamification from the system for quite some time. As a result, there isn't much to but sit there. The people who once might have been engaged in something substantive have nothing to do, and they aren't gonna magically stay tabbed in to do roleplay if there's nothing engaging. There's a point where I'd rather be sitting there in real life talking to real people instead of doing the same thing in roleplay. There has to be something going on to entice me (as well as most others), otherwise the priority the server has is lower (as it should be, This is minecraft!).

19 hours ago, ShannonLeigh said:

Because the server is boring and (almost) no one plays interesting characters or tries to tell complex stories

don't know what to say to this. maybe you should quit then

I log on, look around, see nothing happening and tab out to check discord for a sec, forget I was logged in.

now replace "I" with "everyone ever"

For almost a year now, i've been running back and forth from one nation to the other searching for roleplay. But never did I once get any good roleplay because
Either:

1. Gates are closed off and citizen doors keep resetting every ******* week
2. AFK players around the city
3. Players who are not willing to engage in quality roleplay
4. Meme roleplay

Also don't say "Cope and seethe" its the very reason why this server is undying. Instead try and give proper feedback to improve the server. We have half the server replying with sarcastic and unnecessary comments.

My solution:
It starts with you honestly. Make the effort to carry and start roleplay, don't expect other players to do it. Hell dm them on discord and ask them to jump on for roleplay. Thats what I do nowaday anyways, at the very least I can spend half an hour doing good quality rp instead of staying on the server for 5 hours searching for afk players

Gonna be real, my reason for afking 90% of the time is I underestimate how long I’ll be in the bathroom tbh

5 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

don't know what to say to this. maybe you should quit then

ive tried, several times

I've been thinking about this thread and I realized it's just a skill issue. I know this because I also struggle with it. You just need to initiate RP.

All you have to do is go up and type at people. That's it, flat out - if you're bored on the server and don't know how to start something interesting, just walk up to someone and say "Hail." Emote walking past them and bumping into them, emote dropping something so that they can pick it up, etc- not everyone will bite, but you don't have to pay attention to that. You usually only have to do this a couple times before you found someone.

Besides that, every city benefits from a group of people who talk loudly about city politics over pints of ale in a tavern, a slightly overzealous steward who tries to sell people houses, a drunk sleeping in the gutter, characters that build the world a little bit and create situations people can launch an RP off of. Try to be that. Be weird. Do things for attention. This is a roleplay server and it runs on people screaming words into the ether for other people to read.

AFK is rp though smh, never seen a person sleeping standing up before??? smh my head