How do you make friends?

Air

Now that I have replaced the hamster powering my internet, I'm probably going to rp again. Before doing so I would appreciate a little advice from literally anyone with better social skills than I do:

How do you make friends?

I find myself to be fairly inept socially, both on the internet and in real life so its a struggle for me to befriend someone new. Usually overthinking the littlest interactions or struggling to keep a conversation flowing, normally relying on the other person to carry the conversation. While I see other people able to befriend people like its second nature to them, be it in character or out of character. Any sort of advice is welcome, even if its you just gloating about how cool you are because you don't have to try to make friends or making fun of me for posting this. At the end of the day I'm just trying to better myself.

I am the same as you irl, for the life of me i cannot speak to anyone, but online it’s quite different for me, most of the people i call ‘friends’ on this godforsaken server are just people i ran up to one day and started RPing with, or just someone i saw on discord and we clicked right away as friends, pretty much just starting up conversations with people and if you become friends, you become friends and if you don’t, oh well.

Just talk a bit, communication is a big factor in making friends and maintaining them

3 minutes ago, Air said:

How do you make friends?

Every process for making friends in my opinion is radically different. Some people might not like you, while some would trust you dearly.

However, I will give this advice: Don't change your personality to try to conform to make friends with someone you normally wouldn't be friends with. You are just putting yourself behind a false identity and personality and I've found that this can be damaging for you if it goes to far.

You will find friends if you're just yourself, eventually.

Talk openly, make jokes or try to make them laugh. Keep the conversation light-hearted and fun :] rooting for you.

Knowing your values and being able to have healthy communication. Have your boundaries known, listen don't hear, ask questions, care and invest in others vs trying to one-up others or push your points, and lastly be able to manage and handle conflict. Here are two videos on the topic and both channels have many more good videos.

For more here's a link to my wellness guide. https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/215019-farmers-triumphant-bod-challenge/?tab=comments#comment-1928935

Quite simple, pal. You start sending them lines of songs and if they reply correctly they are good enough to be your friend.

almost heaven…

ooc irl advice:

lol no one on lotc has irl friends

ooc online advice:

lol no one on lotc has online friends

how to make rp friends:
talk to them in character, just throw yourself into any old conversation, ruin their vibe and repeat until it sticks for a group

how i make friends personally:

im literally the funniest man in england

8 minutes ago, Moribundity said:

Quite simple, pal. You start sending them lines of songs and if they reply correctly they are good enough to be your friend.

almost heaven…

West Virginia...

34 minutes ago, MailC3p said:

i ran up to one day and started RPing with, or just someone i saw on discord and we clicked right away as friends

32 minutes ago, Xx_Scarlet_xX said:

Talk openly, make jokes or try to make them laugh.

What if you say the wrong thing or you feel like they don't like you from the start? The idea that you might've ruined something and should've tried a different time? Or even the thought that you missed and opportunity that you should've taken. Should you just ignore reason and go for it? It all feels so overwhelming when faced with someone you don't know.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to this, I appreciate all the advice even if I haven't taken the time to reply to you individually.

@_Sheylo_ harsh

-Anywhoo I come from the depth to speak my advice! II suck at stranger interaction, that of which stems from my rooted social anxiety. But from a friend I'm apparently good at it? From my experience I try to be real friendly to the people I meet and hope it goes well from there! (I'm talking OOCly right now, given my main oc is rather harsh to new people.. and most people she knows.) Joke advice is good. Try cracking jokes if you're funny; or if you're not. If they don't find it funny, well, might not be a person to try and make friends with! 
-The obvious one is to be yourself. Try not to fret over every occurrence. If you keep the fret from your mind and play it cool in the moment, then it may be less likely you fret over it later. Even if you do I wanna let you know that people have their opinions. Not everyone is going to like you just like you don't like everyone. No matter if you try hard enough to get there, they simply may not like you; and that's okay. Move on from it, look towards others. The fear often is "What if no one likes me?" which sets in cold. It strikes deep but to make friends you have to break from that grasp. This is online we're talking about. You don't need to worry about facial expressions, only text! 
-Now for actually trying to find people.. find a community you can slip yourself into. For each of my characters I choose one to try and bloom within it. (You can also test the waters within a few different communities if you'd like.) When I came back to LOTC I tried Elvenesse with Deshe. That one didn't work so well because I struggled with the same issue you face now. I relied on my friend to form friendships with others, and from her down the road an unlikely friendship grew from someone she knew that heard of me. Something similar could work for you, you never know! Could also join a family and see if you can befriend any of those peeps oocly. Check who their friends are and make connections.
-It's trial and error. You might meet people that are great! You might meet people that seem cool but suck later on. Get yourself out there, be friendly. See what happens but watch out for the warning signs. (Toxic, spamming, all the shit that hangs in the alleyways of LOTC.) Like I said, be friendly and just see what happens. (But don't be afraid to block when needed and distance yourself from the less than y'know, very good people.)
-The others have provided good advice but I hope this helps. - Little bit tired, may not make that much sense so I'm sorry in advance!

2 hours ago, HIGH_FIRE said:

West Virginia...

blue ridge mountains 

Who needs friends… ;(