[✓] [Playable CA + Invention + Feat] Animatii; Clockwork Artifice

Valannor

Fel3g9BXkAA_Oaz?format=jpg&name=small

I like the lore rewrite a lot and have specified areas which needed to be listed.

I am curious though why you specifically mentioned,

53 minutes ago, Valannor said:

Anime Crafters can add things onto their creations, be it something as simple as making a finger open up to be a pen, to something as having a spring loaded blade come from their wrist. It should be noted that these gadgets should make sense and incorporate some realism (for example, there’s no way an automaton can have a greatsword loaded in their arm, discreetly). In addition, one must consider weight and possible complications to the creation. One example of this would be mounting some sort of massive crossbow, which would -- if attached to the arm or back -- hinder some movement

Would this mean you can add more "equipment" to the design in exchange removing block speed?

Secondary, 

54 minutes ago, Valannor said:

Automatons do not possess any mana whatsoever, and may not learn magics which require one to hold a soul of any kind. 

This seems like an odd specification. Though I'm sure it has its reason to be here.

Would it also be possible to specify with visual modules on prosthesis to state if they can have altered spectrums?, as example could they have a module that makes them see black & white? Be treated with alchemy? Eg- the alchemy potion which allows them to see mana.

Otherwise solid piece and I don't have much of any other feedback!

3 minutes ago, E__V__O said:

Secondary, 

This seems like an odd specification. Though I'm sure it has its reason to be here.

Would it also be possible to specify with visual modules on prosthesis to state if they can have altered spectrums?, as example could they have a module that makes them see black & white? Be treated with alchemy? Eg- the alchemy potion which allows them to see mana.

Otherwise solid piece and I don't have much of any other feedback!

Stuff like that redline needs to be specified, or else players with automaton characters would assume they can go through with RP like obtaining a holy magic, or becoming a mystic - when that lore requires for characters to have souls to practice.  It might be an obvious redline, but obvious rules still need to be stated to avoid people trying to cheese the system

As for "filters" to be treated to their eyes, I'd argue it wouldn't be possible - far too broad of a thing to write on, while also ensuring there are rules where players don't abuse it by getting eye prosthetics that are permanently treated with arcana flow or catseye.  Aimii characters can still use alchemy-treated gear the same as anyone else, if they're designed to be smart enough to handle it

1 minute ago, UnBaed said:

Stuff like that redline needs to be specified, or else players with automaton characters would assume they can go through with RP like obtaining a holy magic, or becoming a mystic - when that lore requires for characters to have souls to practice.  It might be an obvious redline, but obvious rules still need to be stated to avoid people trying to cheese the system

As for "filters" to be treated to their eyes, I'd argue it wouldn't be possible - far too broad of a thing to write on, while also ensuring there are rules where players don't abuse it by getting eye prosthetics that are permanently treated with arcana flow or catseye.  Aimii characters can still use alchemy-treated gear the same as anyone else, if they're designed to be smart enough to handle it

Thank you for the fast reply. I appreciate it.

I can understand it all and agree, my worry was the treatment to visual modules weren't specified.

Otherwise thank you for the reply.

As THE automaton rper of lotc (trademarked and registered) I approve of the majority of this, and shall be schemeing at my poggers mart that ive been brewing on tenfold now as it is more necessary than ever. Cheerio boys, its robot time.

Where's the redline that removes Druids from learning it? Erm..

Could we please have some disambiguity toward voidal machine spirits? I notice you avoid explicitly stating if it's possible or not, though there are some hangovers from the old lore implying it; it may sound silly but a clear cut 'they can be void mages' added into one of the implicit redlines will doubtless save debates and headaches in future. 

Assuming that is the case, could you please specify what you mean by 'like thick skin' here?

14 hours ago, Valannor said:

If a voidal mage was to become the Animii, the frame and body would weaken, becoming as physically strong as the mage was in its fleshy life, and their coverings become like thick skin, still easily penetrated with enough force. 

Are you saying that machine spirits who practice void magic have the same structure as regular animii, but are covered in leather rather than metal? Or are you saying that the metal covering their bodies literally softens (whilst still being 'metal') to become skin-like? Are they metal on the inside or squishy all the way through?

I personally feel this nerf is a bit unnecessary as well as vague and hard to visualise in actual mechanics, especially given they're already as physically weak as descendant mages and require more maintenance. If they're metal, they should just be metal.

How would you feel about instead specifying a lack of physical strength and an aether-aligned lifeblood recipe variant for magely machine spirits? Maybe add their joints are too brittle to be well protected, and so have lifeblood vessels naturally exposed? Or perhaps a requirement for the gearheart to be made from a thematic lore material? Seems like a harder creation process could be a much simpler 'balance feature' and encourage more roleplay between animii crafters and wizards (that don't want to add to the dark immortal CA bloat) looking to cheat death.

Also entirely unrelated nitpick but just say they have to be humanoid shaped without going overboard.

14 hours ago, Valannor said:

- The husk must be structurally sound and made in the same image as the Creator, e.g Humanoid in nature

The Creator isn't humanoid shaped, and it'd be weird for animii lore of all things to canonise that lol.

Otherwise, happy to see it rewritten with minimal changes! Nice work.  The old lore has mostly been unproblematic for the past few years but as we all know wasn't nearly up to modern standards in terms of emote counts, redlines and general clarity. 

7 hours ago, The King Of The Moon said:

Could we please have some disambiguity toward voidal machine spirits? I notice you avoid explicitly stating if it's possible or not, though there are some hangovers from the old lore implying it; it may sound silly but a clear cut 'they can be void mages' added into one of the implicit redlines will doubtless save debates and headaches in future. 

Assuming that is the case, could you please specify what you mean by 'like thick skin' here?

Are you saying that machine spirits who practice void magic have the same structure as regular animii, but are covered in leather rather than metal? Or are you saying that the metal covering their bodies literally softens (whilst still being 'metal') to become skin-like? Are they metal on the inside or squishy all the way through?

I personally feel this nerf is a bit unnecessary as well as vague and hard to visualise in actual mechanics, especially given they're already as physically weak as descendant mages and require more maintenance. If they're metal, they should just be metal.

How would you feel about instead specifying a lack of physical strength and an aether-aligned lifeblood recipe variant for magely machine spirits? Maybe add their joints are too brittle to be well protected, and so have lifeblood vessels naturally exposed? Or perhaps a requirement for the gearheart to be made from a thematic lore material? Seems like a harder creation process could be a much simpler 'balance feature' and encourage more roleplay between animii crafters and wizards (that don't want to add to the dark immortal CA bloat) looking to cheat death.

Also entirely unrelated nitpick but just say they have to be humanoid shaped without going overboard.

The Creator isn't humanoid shaped, and it'd be weird for animii lore of all things to canonise that lol.

Otherwise, happy to see it rewritten with minimal changes! Nice work.  The old lore has mostly been unproblematic for the past few years but as we all know wasn't nearly up to modern standards in terms of emote counts, redlines and general clarity. 

The entirety of the Machine Spirit section was copied from the old lore with like... One or two redline alterations? The team working on this didn't think it needed changed at all given it's been relatively fine in usage thus far. 

I'll put it on the list to go in and tweak the interactions for voidal machine spirits, however. It's actually a good catch and something better to fix before anything could get out of hand. Much obliged, chief. 

I expect my grandfather FA once this is accepted tytytytyty ur the best kissue ;3

I had the opportunity to give this a more thorough read and overall I like the clarifications compared to the old lore write though I do have a couple of changes I disagree with.

1. I don't like the idea of including an obedience vessel with machine spirits, I feel the descendant soul would make machine spirits more complex compared to their artificial automaton counterparts and resistant to something like this. Trapping someone to machine slavery would be kinda funny though, but it I'd still say no going into my next reason -

2. I'm kinda 50/50 on the obedience vessel breaking on its own because I'd just snitch on em' to the feds if they abusing me and being able to break it based off perceived abuse/neglect is kinda subjective and gives ST another power they don't deserve.  But I think this is an attempt to start an automaton revolution in the future and I cannot allow this and will fight you tooth and nail to prevent the robo takeover. One exception to this I'd think would be if the creator/person hooked to the obedience vessel dies but then there's what if scenarios like what if an automaton never learns its creator is dead? I lean against having it break on its own.

3. I like intelligence vessel over cerebral module.

4. Just merge tier 1 and 2, 3 and 4 together I feel it'll read better.

I appreciate you took the time to put this together though and it's a big improvement that clarifies on points that were up in the air. I'm happy automatons cannot ftb either.

1 hour ago, Battle Unit said:

I had the opportunity to give this a more thorough read and overall I like the clarifications compared to the old lore write though I do have a couple of changes I disagree with.

1. I don't like the idea of including an obedience vessel with machine spirits, I feel the descendant soul would make machine spirits more complex compared to their artificial automaton counterparts and resistant to something like this. Trapping someone to machine slavery would be kinda funny though, but it I'd still say no going into my next reason -

2. I'm kinda 50/50 on the obedience vessel breaking on its own because I'd just snitch on em' to the feds if they abusing me and being able to break it based off perceived abuse/neglect is kinda subjective and gives ST another power they don't deserve.  But I think this is an attempt to start an automaton revolution in the future and I cannot allow this and will fight you tooth and nail to prevent the robo takeover. One exception to this I'd think would be if the creator/person hooked to the obedience vessel dies but then there's what if scenarios like what if an automaton never learns its creator is dead? I lean against having it break on its own.

3. I like intelligence vessel over cerebral module.

4. Just merge tier 1 and 2, 3 and 4 together I feel it'll read better.

I appreciate you took the time to put this together though and it's a big improvement that clarifies on points that were up in the air. I'm happy automatons cannot ftb either.

All feedback addressed and applied where applicable, thanks for the help chief

On 10/20/2022 at 7:26 AM, The King Of The Moon said:

Snip

Feedback applied, thank you for the assist