THE FIRSTBORN

Axelu

Paul still remembered the latter days of his youth, where the woman - Maude - had held a sword aloft, allowing its flat to glance gently against the apex of his shoulder blade. It was then that the Duke of Petra pronounced, "... And you shall be called Pavel Ivanovich, The Tongue."

His time in Petra had largely determined his future. He remembered the time they spent together in the church, discussing Maude's mother's poems. So too did he remember the many times he lifted his sword in her defense. Paul reminisced while standing on a hilltop overlooking a vast tree line, the sun setting over the horizon and bathing the sky in an orange-tinted light. The two shared an ambition that was simple, to allow their children not to suffer the same tribulations they both had suffered.

There were many times that his lady wife had saved him from the summit of his own worst impulses. The bodies of his past were something he could almost instantly envision, the many people he had killed in his life. From enemy soldiers, to a Carrion, to Sons of Petra, and his friend's sister. When his friend Emilio had died, it was Maude who was there to support Paul. For a boy who had been orphaned early, who was born a bastard legitimized only by the love of his life's father for committing murder during the Revolution, that had meant more than many people could fathom.

Paul Montalt drew his sword from its scabbard, eying the icy blue-tinged steel and its emblazoned Ruskan letters with remorse. His wife was now going to die. The love of his life was gone, and even worse he was going to be left to pick up the pieces. However, he did not allow his grief to consume him. From the very moment he had been born he had been faced with such tribulations. His father was killed in war, his mother was dead when he was born, so he was just pleased to have met one kind soul who would do more than tolerate him.

He knew whether or not she died, he would never marry again, nor humor the idea of another partner. Paul did not believe in the Seven Skies, and he was not sure he would see Maude again - but he knew one simple thing: Honor and virtue before all else.

"Over twenty-years," Paul commented to nobody but the trees, accompanied by the hooting of an owl in the distance as sunset plummeted and the earth was shrouded in opaque darkness.

I shall love you always.

Richard resided at a tavern he had come across within his long journey, taking time to rest with his comrades Sir Baldwin and Sir Arthur. During this time, a courier had brought forth a letter bearing the seal of his aunt. He withdrew his dagger and slid it beneath the wax seal, breaking it. With great care, he unfolded and read the letter from his beloved Aunt, each word of hers sinking in deeper than the last. As they came to an end, the paper was neatly folded, and set down. Richard brushed his sleeve across his eyes to remove the forming blur with a sharp inhale, before sighing. "I have large shoes to fill, hopefully I can live up to your expectations, Aunt Maude."

In the far reaches of Adria's dominion, IRENE BASRID, once Francisca, reclined within her chair tucked within a study, gazing out the window to a rainy day. She had a family of her own, by now. Her days as a Dame in Petra had long passed her by. Yet, when the letter had ultimately reached her with the news, it was as if she was a teenager being knighted atop that peak which hosted the ruins her forefathers looked after once again. She was not an old woman anymore, rather, an oblivious young girl with too many questions to subdue. 

She read the final line silently over and over: Your Everloving Sister...

Your Everloving Sister...

Was she so deserving of that everlasting love? She had not been a good sister in many years, memories making the bottom of her stomach knot. So often, she claimed that it was never too late, even in death, but did she want to find out? Perhaps it was too late, and perhaps there was no point. Irene did not know; she wept. She had not cried in a long, long time; only when the reminder of her mortality and the loss of someone she had not known for so long did she weep. She wept until her collar made it evident, until her eyes were dry, and she did not know why. 

Maude had always been the wisest of their family, their generation. A generation bygone, she realized. They were the last of a lost era, but never forgotten; she swore that unspokenly. She swore that. 

The cold, stony ambiance of the Czernin hall was eerily quiet, save for the reverberated echoes of Captain Peter and his brigade of militant merchants and glorified brigands. The men had finished a fine day’s work of Balianese animal slaughter, and instead of joining his men in the Crow’s Catch Tavern, he retreated to his quarters to bear the news.

If not for the safety of his leathered gloves, his palm would have been ravaged by his nails. He hated this feeling: weakness. Helplessness. His father would not be there to scorn him, his siblings to mock him, and most importantly: his mother to uplift him. For the first time, he truly felt alone. It made him sick to the stomach.

He reminisced fondly over his youth in Petra, and childlike antics behind his mother’s back - traversing the long alleyways of Mardon after sitting through long, boring meetings of the Round Table with his mother. He remembered her worried look after their home was traded over to the Aaunites, yet her presence was enough solace to him. He now regretted leaving her for his multiple yearly ventures to the sea, his calm pastime, and his repertoire with his mother over the years diminished.

I wish she knew not to worry for my safety. He thought to himself. I wish she knew of the friends I met, the adventures I had, and the rash decisions I made. I wish she knew that I learned everything I needed to be a man. I wish she knew I missed her.

His hand rose to stop the tear that began forming in his eye.

I wish she knew I want to make her proud.

Justinian took notice of his pen pal’s lack of letters when he noticed his wife received a letter. He sighed, remarking briefly, “My poet, and now my Sister-in-law, passing on. Will there be a time when I receive no more letters Allah?”

Darius sat in his study, surrounded by books and memories of years gone by. As the afternoon sunlight gently streamed through the window he would receive a missive from his granddaughter bearing somber news of his childhood friend’s passing. A deep sigh escaped Darius's lips as he clutched the letter, feeling the weight of loss settle upon his weary shoulders. “I wish I could have introduced you two, I’m sure you would have gotten along.” He murmured in a thoughtful remark as he set the letter aside. “Perhaps my time will come as well.”

Pauline-Matilda took in a breath, eyes glazing over whilst cast upon the letter she'd received. Not the first time she had read the words penned to her, rather words she continued to mull over with time. She'd grown to become a woman of few words, focused rather on her actions. With the parchment in one hand, an index finger of the other tapped the pommel of a sword that rest at her hip.

"Perhaps it is time I finally return to my kin."