HYSPIAN LANGUAGE GUIDE

JuztLizzy

YrRshMo6tKkV8oUzIXmj7SgHRsgk1xXE25WMHwYXyz1PchihdBzErHuvkzWguuH0JBhY2Dapj8kps2J1xpFxBgsr5U9QTznliqM5v3EO9NU1aH6NBfsdmxK5rmMKRtFXO6q_kfs7ZPxuoeiRjfgxwCo

Hyspian Language Guide 

A-sIlQ1w8H6Er-P04S2njlpFQNXSymkPOwS_Sbe34c3zn6mcvgCMmNeZ7fZW_wNjnuZgqAydCGNQBBp4RSTnykK-Z0DNq4sxdPgX5CazkgzFbu45-HRcNzT56q3gyuZ5nCPebM9EnZB_JWn6p3NdgDY

XrBSEyGGgT3u1e8Ua0CXl5IXRtUWcgULl2l2BfIvSEkqimDxDBs-aMijvD-qcd018FV5t456OeruMUCaSLW3BNrZPspuGH1IiQsCLPei9YtQ0n8i-dAXUygjKagdRNj2Xq3fWAcoAzjYAd8WIsrU7dQA-sIlQ1w8H6Er-P04S2njlpFQNXSymkPOwS_Sbe34c3zn6mcvgCMmNeZ7fZW_wNjnuZgqAydCGNQBBp4RSTnykK-Z0DNq4sxdPgX5CazkgzFbu45-HRcNzT56q3gyuZ5nCPebM9EnZB_JWn6p3NdgDY

OOC Note

This guide was created by the Hyspian community and advised by Latin American players, to better help those wishing to portray the Hyspian Culture more accurately. We should strive towards Cultural appreciation rather than Cultural appropriation when playing a Hyspian character. 

When you are using dialogue in your emotes you should either use full Hyspian (Spanish) or full common (English). Please do not combine the two. 

On occasion you may use Hyspian Nouns ex. Mija, Mijo, to add flavor to your roleplay but please be mindful of how you use them. As stated we are looking for Cultural appreciation.

A-sIlQ1w8H6Er-P04S2njlpFQNXSymkPOwS_Sbe34c3zn6mcvgCMmNeZ7fZW_wNjnuZgqAydCGNQBBp4RSTnykK-Z0DNq4sxdPgX5CazkgzFbu45-HRcNzT56q3gyuZ5nCPebM9EnZB_JWn6p3NdgDY

Language Teachings

Common Nouns

Padre = Father

Madre = Mother

Mijo = Son

Mija = Daughter

Tio = Uncle

Tia = Aunt

Primo = Cousin (M.)

Prima = Cousin (F.)

La Casa = House 

La Persona = Person 

La Iglesia = Church 

Su Majestad = Your Majesty

Alteza = Your highness

Princesa = Princess

Principe = Prince

Common Phrases

Hyspian                                                        Common

Hola! Como estas?                                       Hello! How are you?

Buenos Dias/Buenas tardes/Buenas Noche    Good day/good afternoon/good night

Que paso?                                                    What happened?

Estas bien?                                                   Are you okay?

Que es tu nombre?                                       What is your name?

De nada                                                        No problem/you’re welcome

Gracias                                                         Thank you

Viva Hyspia                                                  Long live Hyspia

Hasta mañana                                               Until Tomorrow/see you tomorrow

Disculpame                                                  Excuse me/forgive me

Examples

“Buenos Dias! Como estas? Good day, how are you?”

“Muchas Gracias. Thank you very much”

“Mijo/Mija, how are you?”

“Su Alteza, todo está muy bien en la ciudad. Everything is going good in the city, your highness”

Signed,

Her Highness, Karyna Rezalin de Pelear, Vicereine of Hyspia, Duchess-Consort of Pacazu, Baroness-Consort of Arenisca, Lady of La Dorada, Lady of Niseep, Gereon's Hold, and Ciudad de Plata, Protector of the Hyspian People and Matriarch of House de Pelear

Cesar II of Hyspia thinks his wife is the best person in the entire universe. "I love my wife. I love our language. I love Hyspia." 

Spoiler

Thank you so much for this language guide Lizzy! 

50 minutes ago, JuztLizzy said:

When you are using dialogue in your emotes you should either use full Hyspian (Spanish) or full common (English). Please do not combine the two. 

Spoiler

I'm just wondering, why is this? Where I'm from, a mix of the two is very common. As someone who speaks both, everyone is just as understandable if they swap a word in spanish for one in english, and vice versa. Perhaps just a regional taboo (if there is one at all)? Useful post, regardless!! 

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

vv needed post

1 hour ago, TreeSmoothie said:

Hide contents

I'm just wondering, why is this? Where I'm from, a mix of the two is very common. As someone who speaks both, everyone is just as understandable if they swap a word in spanish for one in english, and vice versa. Perhaps just a regional taboo (if there is one at all)? Useful post, regardless!! 

I think what they really mean by this is to try and avoid mixing languages if you're not aware of how to. Especially in Haense where New Marian is used as a language that mimics an irl accent, people use Spanish in the same way to try and convey a 'Spanish' accent, or make it seem like they're mixing words into their common roleplay by replacing only pronouns and simpler nouns like "Mother, Father"  . Things like "How are tu today" might want to be avoided because it's not conveying any accent and just incorrectly using a real language, whereas I'm sure irply changing other nouns irp or using the language in small bursts might make playing a hyspian feel a little more authentic because it wouldn't feel like the language is just being chopped up and placed randomly in sentences. 

8 hours ago, Phersades said:

I think what they really mean by this is to try and avoid mixing languages if you're not aware of how to. Especially in Haense where New Marian is used as a language that mimics an irl accent, people use Spanish in the same way to try and convey a 'Spanish' accent, or make it seem like they're mixing words into their common roleplay by replacing only pronouns and simpler nouns like "Mother, Father"  . Things like "How are tu today" might want to be avoided because it's not conveying any accent and just incorrectly using a real language, whereas I'm sure irply changing other nouns irp or using the language in small bursts might make playing a hyspian feel a little more authentic because it wouldn't feel like the language is just being chopped up and placed randomly in sentences. 

But this is nonsense. Code-mixing is very normal especially in English and Spanish speakers. This is partly allowed, I suppose, by how easy they are to use interchangeably. The only word class that doesn't get swapped much, if at all, between said languages are determiners.

But I mean it's also worth remembering that Spanish is a lingua franca, not a small language tied to a single culture.

10 hours ago, TreeSmoothie said:

probably cause most gringos on here dont do spanglish right and treat it like haensespeak. it IS tricky and there’s regional differences and i don’t expect anyone to learn a language for RP but when done wrong it’s obvious to native speakers (and you sound like a hack). the google translate is fine, lotcers love to complicate things 

1 hour ago, Frostdrop1 said:

But this is nonsense. Code-mixing is very normal especially in English and Spanish speakers.

Once again, it’s mainly aimed at people who don’t use code meshing from a day to day basis. Some Hyspians who don’t speak Spanish will remote stuff like “Como is tu day?” And it’s painful.

Spoiler

cool post... although cultural appropriation isn't really a problem. You are talking about a roleplay server... where people pretend to be crippled, blind, other genders and other ethnicities. People larp as germans and spaniards/latinos and chinese and japanese and that's what RP is about...

You aren't culturally appropriating Ukranian or Russian culture by naming your characters slavic names, or wearing a skin that looks eastern european or naming minecraft items after food from either of these cultures.

I also think that telling people not to mix english/spanish "common" and "hyspian" is nonsensical . Yes it sounds rather silly, but if your character says "Que? I can't hear you" It's not hurting anyone. Even things like "Cual is tu name?" aren't bad, they're just a bit painful for native speakers, but german players don't complain about the waldenians butchering their accents so why should we.

Edited by Hunnic

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

Once again, it’s mainly aimed at people who don’t use code meshing from a day to day basis. Some Hyspians who don’t speak Spanish will remote stuff like “Como is tu day?” And it’s painful.

Even with that being true, it's a roleplay server and this is an attempt by non-bilinguals to imitate bilingualism because it's an inherent part of their character - obviously they're going to get it wrong just like how most other things on the server are portrayed inaccurately. It's strange and unusual to expect everyone to be a linguistic expert of code-mixing and then to call it appropriation when it's one of the most widely used languages in the world. Which culture is it supposed to be appropriating? Spanish? Mexican? Argentinian? American

Whether people choose to like it or not doesn't matter as much as a broader concept like appropriation,though, because that's just an opinion basis. People be as bitter as they like or don't like and that shouldn't really affect wider decisions too much. It might be wrong grammatically - but that's just being grammar police which I don't get the fascination personally.

2 hours ago, Frostdrop1 said:

Even with that being true, it's a roleplay server and this is an attempt by non-bilinguals to imitate bilingualism because it's an inherent part of their character - obviously they're going to get it wrong just like how most other things on the server are portrayed inaccurately. It's strange and unusual to expect everyone to be a linguistic expert of code-mixing and then to call it appropriation when it's one of the most widely used languages in the world. Which culture is it supposed to be appropriating? Spanish? Mexican? Argentinian? American

Whether people choose to like it or not doesn't matter as much as a broader concept like appropriation,though, because that's just an opinion basis. People be as bitter as they like or don't like and that shouldn't really affect wider decisions too much. It might be wrong grammatically - but that's just being grammar police which I don't get the fascination personally.

7 hours ago, Hunnic said:
  Hide contents

cool post... although cultural appropriation isn't really a problem. You are talking about a roleplay server... where people pretend to be crippled, blind, other genders and other ethnicities. People larp as germans and spaniards/latinos and chinese and japanese and that's what RP is about...

You aren't culturally appropriating Ukranian or Russian culture by naming your characters slavic names, or wearing a skin that looks eastern european or naming minecraft items after food from either of these cultures.

I also think that telling people not to mix english/spanish "common" and "hyspian" is nonsensical . Yes it sounds rather silly, but if your character says "Que? I can't hear you" It's not hurting anyone. Even things like "Cual is tu name?" aren't bad, they're just a bit painful for native speakers, but german players don't complain about the waldenians butchering their accents so why should we.

Before we begin a debate here on this subject. I would like to advise everyone to completely read the document, take a step back and rethink the points we wish to argue. A lot of us here could use a lesson in proper argumentative writing because the main issue and question presented here is: 

How can we, as a community, portray a culture without coming off as too condescending, even when it is not our intention to be? 

But instead the arguments here are on tangent but not completely related to the main idea which is being presented in this document. 

---

The arguments that I am seeing here are taking one aspect of the post, and then construing it to fit a strawman conception in an attempt to rationalize the point that the person who is viewing this document is trying to make. 

It is fine to use spanish nouns in your dialogue. It is fine to use subjects, adjectives, and nouns in your dialogue. 

But, it becomes a little condescending when one replaces english pronouns or verbs with spanish. 

"How are tu today?" does not sound good.

"I am corriendo. (I am running)" Also does not sound well.

We want to clarify that these things should be avoided. 

---

The verse "When you are using dialogue in your emotes you should either use full Hyspian (Spanish) or full common (English). Please do not combine the two." Pertains to the examples of incorrect usage of accent in dialogue as I have stated above. That is what we are clarifying. We did not explain it in such technically nuanced terms because a reasonable fact finder, upon reading that sentence and then the sentence below it, "On occasion you may use Hyspian Nouns ex. Mija, Mijo, to add flavor to your roleplay but please be mindful of how you use them. As stated we are looking for Cultural appreciation." should be able to infer the main gist that is being conveyed in the post. 

Hopefully this clears up any confusion. 

On 10/19/2023 at 6:30 PM, Frostdrop1 said:

no one is policing, this is an attempt to literally help those who are non-bilingual play more into the theme of the culture they’re roleplaying as besides the only thing being “hola, si, and tu”. It is an attempt to immerse them into the roleplay of Hyspia. Hyspia(ns) are influenced from a variety of post-colonial Spanish cultures, and this post by Lizzy is meant to help them. I trust you, people of any role played race will and do get shit on for using the irl language from the based cultures no matter what. At least the Hyspian playerbase is trying to assist their players. Also, the spoiler for not meshing the languages is because most players don't use Spanglesh as mentioned above prior, but just use “tu”.

33 minutes ago, blubeetleii said:

thank you lizzy, we highkey needed this

si thank you lizzy tu are el best