On Horses and Their Nature: Novkursain

ibiou

kSnV9QEF-mNvPQ8F8XtOT7LZl8E8Wf9hChudQSDnGht7uNhHT-VvZeIpNPilX02PM9c2umR32iUkFOhE0pTYBBiT2sha_cM9hwQoiWIa9sA1E30k5U9gVzmS189lzaIFyqZE0pl1DFpqf2xEKmv9rh4
X2qed5VSm1ojwrSzlc2MbKNMna3aBTXPs5eeGfEmxrgvbq5H50_PfENlqy6WUZDd16mPXUIkJuf_1-GP5KO1w_RytVoGY8_wN7K-Ev7_3r7H6dRQS6xuWdCAYZzTbcWcbTu3a6mBCympZ-WW6n_VWpo

Penned by HRH Isabel Theodora, Princess of Hanseti-Ruska, Duchess of Kvenoland

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

dgm1JFYMM6fYeD7ROh_OkkSFNfgM2mNKE20IcxfyZM-tezQp3WitnDkeUl3tKMgNNISZr4ZNOhL01iAVf9o2R04UaA2WK480Jqpwf3gbnw3Vagkxc2dQmHLoOQ8n_X6Iumb1nZTN8fp2McIo

HRH Isabel Theodora riding a White Comet horse across the Haeseni landscape, 499 E.S.

└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─

PRELUDE

Ever since I could walk, I pledged myself to become the greatest equestrian known in the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska. I was told by the courtiers and my mother, the Queen-dowager Sofia of Hyspia, about my first royal debut at Lifstala; famously where King Georg I, my father, dressed as a horse for my brother’s presentation. As the reputation of my baby-self’s reaction caught wind throughout the land, I held myself to higher expectations. Naturally, I fell smitten for the four-legged, hooved creatures. For years, I have confined myself to the stables and hills where I have enjoyed countless hours learning horses’ nature from one case to the next, breed from breed, until I felt the need to branch out further.  

In the following report, I will compile my journal entries on the Viscounty of Novkursain and their horse breeds. Originally this was not intended to be published, however one day I woke up with an overbearing sense of purpose - as if, someone in my dreamland compelled me to educate the people on this subject matter. Whilst some may call it unnecessary, we must remind ourselves that the business of horses is something we rely much on. An unspoken trade, they are the silent heroes and martyrs of war, and furthermore our travelling companions. 

Use this as a guide when purchasing your horses, whether it be for war-time use or leisure. It is why I have introduced the Kvenoland score: a one-five star rating based on my experiences riding, grooming and observing them over the course of a few years.

──── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────

ZVAERVAULD GREAT HORSE

Kvenoland score: ★★☆☆☆

The original horse. I cannot say I have had experience with the Zvaervauld Great Horse, as they were lost to the continent of Almaris, so I will be giving them a ranking of two stars purely based on that premise. This does not reflect what the horse once was, rather that I could not test its potential.

Based on documentation from Staalgrav’s archives, the Zvaervauld Great Horse was the namesake of the Barony of Zvaervauld - pre-Viscounty promotion under my father, Georg I. They were great steeds, with an emotionally sensitive nature. More notably, they came from the Hyspian horse line of Boldizar. I appreciate the ode to the Hyspian roots that have integrated themselves within House Weiss over the generations, with the symbolic and literal joining of the two cultures in marriage and with the horses. The Boldizar line gave them a black coat with no distinct markings. 

WHITE COMET

Kvenoland score: ★★★★☆

Bred to replace the Zvaervauld Great Horse, the White Comet is one of Aevos’ most finest horse breeds. After the loss of the Zvaervauld Great Horse from Almaris, the Weiss family knew it was in their best interests to start up their horse business once more. The biome by Staalgrav, moderate and grassy just like their previous settlement, provided great terrain to refine their horse breeding technique without straying completely away from the original Great Horse. Their name is derived from Morrig, the Mother of Comets, to pay homage to very early cultural roots of Hanseti-Ruska. 

The White Comet is known for its distinctive poised and graceful nature. With greater obedience and relaxed nature with a lesser ability to be spooked, I applaud the Viscounty for their ability to reproduce the near-perfect horse. One could add credit to the mountainous nature of the land, with which the horse overtime would adapt through trials and tribulations. Notably, their white coats are striking in comparison to their predecessor. They almost seem ethereal, with their calm composure and striking appearance. It's hard not to be intimated by them, yet the moment they are saddled up they transform; ready to ride.

During my research, the White Comet pedigree came to be one of my favourites for its balance of graceful stride and brisk trot. Their dual nature - energetic but gentle - allowed for lengthy and pleasant rides towards Vander Falls and beyond, Malkovya. The only qualm I encountered was the horse’s constant need of grooming. Whilst some may enjoy doting upon their hooved friend, one might consider the paygrade of their stablesman in making sure their White Comet remains in top-shape. Thus, I will give the White Comet a Kvenoland rating of four stars out of the five eligible.

MITYAN STRIDER

Kvenoland score★★★☆☆

Named after Mitya, the Mare of the East, the Mityan Strider is the secondary horse breed of Novkursain. Unlike the White Comet, they are bred with no intended stature or colour - varying between chocolate browns, light cream and more. Whilst I would not intend to keep a Mityan Strider for daily use, they are the perfect companion if one wished to use them purely for leisure or light-laboured tasks due to their gentle and less-intelligable nature. 

I have given the Mityan Strider a rating of three out of five stars, for its performative efforts when I needed to. I particularly liked that they all have feathered hooves, as it gives a uniqe flourish to its look. The score, middle of the road, is only attributed to its limited purpose. The Mityan Strider, whilst enjoyable in our rides, proved to grow tiresome after long spurts of energy and could not carry heavy loads (such as a horse-drawn carriage). What I commend it on is its affectionate bond with man, that they draw close bonds quickly which makes them the perfect starter horse to any young aspiring equestrian and horseman-alike. 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/801418343696826431/1169776229210136626/horse.png?ex=6556a202&is=65442d02&hm=5a9d0bcd7c0755ce0012c5b539dad7b6398e3d0c8040bd32c704f4766b02b187&

CONCLUSION

I look forward to seeing the future in the horse-breeding industry for House Weiss, for the current selection one can buy remains one of the best I have encountered so far. The diversity of the sister breeds the White Comet and Mityan Strider caters towards different clientel, which sucessfully enough provides for both pleasure and work. Whilst I would of hoped to meet the Zvaervauld Great Horse, we shall never forget the path they paved for the Viscounty of Novkursain's origins to where they are now. The dedication towards the trade is apparent from their stables, to even the equestrian gear they provide to both themselves and sellers. The White Comet in particular became my favourite, for which I now own and bestowed the name Lazar to my great steed.

──── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────

Dukeplus Regular

HER ROYAL HIGHNESS, Isabel Theodora Barbanov-Bihar,

Princess of Hanseti-Ruska, Duchess of Kvenoland

Jennifer Script Italic

Spoiler

Credit to @Frostdrop1 and @SethWolf for the information mentioned. Whilst I would have loved to be as creative as they were with coming up with the horse breeds listed above, all of it goes to the two.

For the first time in many years, Sigmar Baruch actually sat down to read a missive in full and not put it down two seconds after he got it. Man this was good.

2 hours ago, Greehn said:

Sigmar Baruch actually sat down to read a missive in full and not put it down two seconds after he got it. Man this was good.

Ludvika Ludovar thought Sigmar was a simp. Sigmar Simp.

Ser Audo Weiss found himself to be exceptionally proud at having others recognise the hard of the Weiss. It would be unthinkable that he let his father's hussar past go to waste! Albeit, the diligent worker in him was admittedly miffed by the four stars even if it wasn't a bad score! He reached over to scratch the snout of his own White Comet, which, naturally, every Weiss was free to own.

Cassian found himself penning a letter to his cousin in response to the missive.