the case for banning homophobia

satinkira

any form of romance rp should be banned, period

the only reason marriages should exist is for the continuation of a bloodline and not for any form of romance rp, regardless of who it is married

Edited by ReveredOwl

2 minutes ago, satinkira said:

'my apologies sir, we cannot marry you into our church - you are gay, you see, and though we do not hate you, it would go against our religion'

compare this to;

'my apologies sir, we cannot marry you into our church - you are of a different skin colour, you see, and though we do not hate you, it would go against our religion'

the second, of course, is a scenario that does not happen; I think your mistake is understimating the severity of homophobia - racism rp is not permitted (the version related to skin colour, at any rate - orcs can say what they like about elves) and therefore neither should homophobia be. it being a facet of medieval european culture does not give it the right to hang about, as is true of many other things of the time

this is not an attempted boycott - I personally don't believe that the church would crumble if homophobia was removed. this also isn't an attempt to solve an irl problem, I'm unsure where you got that from

you've no right to homophobic RP - I'm unsure why you presume that the right to be homophobic is integral to your medieval RP; I've much respect for medieval european traditionalist RP, and it can be most certainly be done without homophobia nor exclusion of homosexual characters. if you claim that it breaks your sense of realism then I'll have to call bull because we have tanks and walking mechpriests

Unfortunately the way I see it is that some communities are tolerant of allowing modern ideas to be inserted and some are not so tolerant.

It just is what it is and I find OOC forcing to make an IRP opinion against a way of living bannable weird and in no way can this case be equated to racism.

22 minutes ago, PrimnyaQuorum said:

100% I think this is the only point that really matters and deserves consideration. If IRL Racism is not allowed, then IRL-Anything thats hateful doesn't deserve a place on LoTC. You can endlessly argue IRP and OOC intentions and character bleed, but at the end of the day the only question that can be asked and answered is will that rule be consistently upheld or not, and why.

It's a universe of magical things, machines, and various species of people - if your RP revolves hate because of who someone is attracted to, more often then not it's not a "unique" character trait when the arguments made IRPly reflect the arguments made IRL. LoTC exists separate from the real world, we're not even allowed to make references to the real world - Homophobia specifically has no place in LoTC.

I don't know why this is such a difficult concept for so many to grasp. While the level of homophobia I've dealt with IRP is nothing compared to what I've dealt with IRL, it doesn't mean the same tired arguments are not still the same tired arguments. I RP to escape, not be burdened with the same fights I have to handle day-in and day-out. 

The just ignore it argument, as satinkara already pointed out, just doesn't work. Sure, I can avoid places like Whitespire where it will be more prevalent. But I know multiple characters in human nations that simply cant get married because of the Church. There is no avoiding that except entirely uprooting and moving to some elf nation. Is tearing apart RP circles so we can have people be judgmental worth it? 

Just now, Franczhiz said:

Unfortunately the way I see it is that some communities are tolerant of allowing modern ideas to be inserted and some are not so tolerant.

It just is what it is and I find OOC forcing to make an IRP opinion against a way of living bannable weird and in no way can this case be equated to racism.

if by 'modern ideas' you mean not being homophobic, I certainly hope that no community is resistant to adopting it if the roleplay happens

racism and homophobia are both types of prejudice; are you implying that one is more severe than the other? I'd also note that homophobia being a 'way of life' is a truly bizarre sentiment 

16 minutes ago, Karina said:

But I know multiple characters in human nations that simply cant get married because of the Church. There is no avoiding that except entirely uprooting and moving to some elf nation. Is tearing apart RP circles so we can have people be judgmental worth it? 

Trying to oocly force the church to officiate marriages is not the way to get it done, make that change in rp rather than ooc enforcement. I'm also sure civil marriages exist in most canonist nations

1 hour ago, satinkira said:

thanks to the church intervening and having executive authority in all types of human canonist rp beyond norland, its a bit difficult to ignore it

Idk man, sounds like you should make some secretive heretical commune that's all good with it then.

1 minute ago, satinkira said:

mfw you run out of justifications for being allowed to roleplay being homophobic on a 13+ fantasy minecraft roleplay server

mfw u getting so pent up abt fantasy bigotry on a 13+ fantasy minecraft roleplay server you whine and moan and rally 2 ban an avenue of rp (if u dont like it irp beat them up who cares!) at any opportunity u can....

mask off am i right 🙄

1 minute ago, Enlightenment said:

Idk man, sounds like you should make some secretive heretical commune that's all good with it then.

5011ae5bf43b53a2f2a3dd25f5bb8f5b.jpg

Just now, Privet said:

if we banned being homosexuals in roleplay there would be no need for homophobia

orc brain

1 minute ago, Solour said:

mfw u getting so pent up abt fantasy bigotry on a 13+ fantasy minecraft roleplay server you whine and moan and rally 2 ban an avenue of rp (if u dont like it irp beat them up who cares!) at any opportunity u can....

truth be told if homophobia was banned currently and someone said 'should we unban it' everyone would go 'obviously not' so idk the onus is on you for explaining why in the face of what I've said it should remain, instead of just devolving to insults

2 minutes ago, Solour said:

mask off am i right 🙄

you're right I don't like homophobia

Just now, ReveredOwl said:

Trying to oocly force the church to officiate marriages is not the way to get it done, make that change in rp rather than ooc enforcement. I'm also sure civil marriages exist in most canonist nations

I don't think there's a example of the church doing anything organically in RP within the last year, so this is a bit of a tall ask against a argument for a Rule Change OOCly.

2 minutes ago, PrimnyaQuorum said:

I don't think there's a example of the church doing anything organically in RP within the last year, so this is a bit of a tall ask against a argument for a Rule Change OOCly.

nobody thought women clergy would be a thing, and yet they now are, besides, not allowing such marriages does not make someone a homophobe in rp or ooc'ly, trying to label everyone a homophobe for the arguments they make in rp just doesn't stick

the final boss of lotc...

the ceo of homphobia.

2 minutes ago, ReveredOwl said:

nobody thought women clergy would be a thing, and yet they now are, besides, not allowing such marriages does not make someone a homophobe in rp or ooc'ly, trying to label everyone a homophobe for the arguments they make in rp just doesn't stick

I have already stated that I don't believe everyone who disagrees with me is homophobic, and I don't believe prima said anything along the lines of 'everyone who disagrees with me is homophobic' either

It is genuinely baffling to be this attached to real world bigotry.

If the categories of bigotry which are banned on the server were expanded to cover homophobia, what changes? What is so fundamentally altered that you feel you have to rally against such?

I do not understand in the slightest.

Edit, Addendum:

To quote Reggie Fils Aime, "If it's not fun, why bother?" We are all here to play a game together, and if something is hindering people's ability to have fun with this game, then what fun of yours is being taken away to allow people to better enjoy their hobby?

Please try and keep the topic to the point made in the post. No personal attacks or toxicity, have a civil discussion rather than name call. Cheers.