What makes LotC, LotC?

marimbamonk

Specifically, if LotC were to be adapted into a show on Netflix for example, what would you need to see included in that adaptation for you to confidently say, "Yep, these guys actually respected the source material!" What, for you, if it was changed or not included, would ruin a LotC adaptation for you?

I expect a lot of joke replies to this but I'm honestly curious. I've been working on an LotC D&D Campaign Setting and I could use some other perspectives on what is really important to the fiber of the server, but also what things could be open for change.

Omg! I'm also doing an LOTC dnd campaign rn of the Inferi war. 

From an adaption perspective, I don't think anything exactly would ruin it. At least, none of the little changes in the campaign to DND-ify it have been bad. 

I agree with tree above me. It would depend on who or what is being followed at the time. Maybe a silly goblin cracking jokes, or a serious knight bent on doing the right thing. This server has such a variety on it that it depends on the lens you view each thing through

I'd have to say the OOC scheming and major toxicity within nations? Idk how you'd adapt that to a Netflix show, but it needs to be added!

One of my biggest debates is the inclusion of the Human religions, for example, some of which seem to be clear fantasy analogs of real life religions. I sort of want to steer away from that in my adaptation. Admittedly I don't know a lot about Canonism or the Qalasheen faith but I'd rather go for something that doesn't seem so clearly rooted in Catholicism or Islam. I know that would upset all of the Canonist and Qalasheen players, though, and those have a strong history on the server too.

3 minutes ago, marimbamonk said:

One of my biggest debates is the inclusion of the Human religions, for example, some of which seem to be clear fantasy analogs of real life religions. I sort of want to steer away from that in my adaptation. Admittedly I don't know a lot about Canonism or the Qalasheen faith but I'd rather go for something that doesn't seem so clearly rooted in Catholicism or Islam. I know that would upset all of the Canonist and Qalasheen players, though, and those have a strong history on the server too.

Going off what others have said above me, it definitely depends on what perspective of the server you're taking. However, if you want to try to avoid the more irl-rooted religions such as Canonism or the Qalasheen faith, I personally would recommend focusing northwards on the Red Faith or, if you feel inclined, diving deeper into LOTC's lore and rediscovering some of the old Cults/Faiths that are either underground or not as explored. There's also the various religions that the Nomad groups follow such as the Turghits (Though their faith may be based off of the Tengri faith, I'd dive deeper before doing that) and the Skanarri, who worship a similar but unique branch of the Red Faith. There's quite a few Human faiths you could work with that unfortunately are not as mainstream, but would be very unique to see in a D&D campaign

I'd have to say it would be the ooc friendships and hatred that carry out through roleplay that makes things not enjoyable. The other this that is also not enjoyable is when important figures in lotc do not want to pk when they should be held to a higher standard to the public. If for instance you die in front of either 1-100 people in front of you, if they know you are an important figure and they see you die and don't pk, they are going to think the same way, if they are to be an important figure. Show yourself as an example to the newer players, show them they shouldn't be afraid to let go of their characters. I remember an instance when an important figure like an NL would not pk several times after being caught several times and died several times. Also a time where an important figure agreed to have a pk duel and lost the duel and says that they are no longer pk'ing to it. I think if people would care about their honor and pride, it would be much better than caring about keeping their persona alive that will innevitably die in the near future anyways whether it be of natural causes or duel or war. Regardless this should be a place for fun and less ooc involvement. Those are only some of the reasons why I am leaving this server.

Well if we're going with the /source material/ then there would be a lot of ******* creeps 

18 minutes ago, marimbamonk said:

With this being the case. I'd look into some base line dnd religions (if there are any) and use those as place holders? Or you can make your own up?

I know making up something is easier said then done. I could send you some ideas in discord to replace Canonism? I wish I could offer the same for the Qalasheen.. but I am not as versed in that

1 hour ago, marimbamonk said:

Specifically, if LotC were to be adapted into a show on Netflix for example, what would you need to see included in that adaptation for you to confidently say, "Yep, these guys actually respected the source material!" What, for you, if it was changed or not included, would ruin a LotC adaptation for you?

I expect a lot of joke replies to this but I'm honestly curious. I've been working on an LotC D&D Campaign Setting and I could use some other perspectives on what is really important to the fiber of the server, but also what things could be open for change.

"The community writing a story together." Is what makes LOTC LOTC. That was my first instinct reading the title. Nothing else really. The dozens of fun cool people. The story itself is, in a way, secondary. In my opinion, we could also do space rp or pirate rp and it'd still be fun.

Personally, I would pick 2 random places to write about. They are all too different. Add a few characters from different places.

1 hour ago, alexmagus said:

I'd have to say the OOC scheming and major toxicity within nations?

A repeating cutaway gag that breaks fourth wall by showing people malding at their computers 

1 hour ago, ChaoticRoller said:

Those are only some of the reasons why I am leaving this server.

Reasons for leaving and server issues are misplaced if vented here.
And while I hope you come to enjoy lotc again, this is a dnd post.

I do think an LOTC adaptation should be set during the time of some of the most well known conflicts.
I often hear of the War of two Emperors for example, and I think placing your story during this time HOWEVER focusing on other RICH aspects of LOTC would be cool.

Its like this memorable and world changing conflict going on, but your story is focused on other characters (preferably not humans to enhance the fantasy feel) and their own issues and challenges - the major conflict being a relatively far away issue.

2 hours ago, marimbamonk said:

I think there's a lot of very compelling personal narratives that could be drawn from the server's history for such a thing, and a lot of untold stories that often get buried by the focus on nation politics that the server as a whole has. But in terms of shows at a macroscopic level, I think I'd personally like to see one of three things be portrayed in an LotC Netflix adaptation. Either:

1.) A detailed depiction of the Undead antagonist event line that was so prominent during Aegis,

2.) A GoT / Witcher style miniseries that takes place in late Asulon and early Anthos during the reign of Emperor Godfrey, including the unification wars and the war between the Teutonic Order and the Flays, or

3.) A show with multiple seasons that follows a particular family or individual set during the period immediately before, during, and after W2E during Arcas.

I personally feel that an LoTC TV show should feature a "new map" so that the current player base doesn't feel like it isn't "accurate" to the world we have now. New world! Anything goes! You can make new lore to go along with it as not all lands are the same. Think of it as an alternate reality? It would still be "accurate" though someone can't go "My character's house is meant to be right there and it's NOT!!" because set design can be hard

I feel that "the" show shouldn't be allowed to have one main character. Part of the "LoTC experience" is how all the players work together to weave their stories. I feel that one main character would hurt that... A main cast would be nice, and then a side cast as well. As far as actual LoTC characters go. I feel that they should only be background characters or make a cameo, nothing more. With EXPRESS permission from the character's player

Since Aevos is my first map I'm gonna be going off of what's happened here. I'd say the best source material for maybe a show would be either the war with spooks scheming and causing deaths or maybe a show with the harrower event line. I mean lotc is so big you got event lines for separate communities and a whole lot of shit that just doesn't involve itself with other shit ya know? LOTC is HUGE. Personally, I think for a show based on lotc would be easier to make with the rich history of spook lore vs paladin and templar lore and have a story like that. I'm also bias and enjoy spook rp more than nation rp or warclaims etc.