DAEMONSTEEL'S PEACE: An Issue From House Ruthern

bHKbRroOmjqRdVtBXwROFYPr-k2X6zryLkcE6hfIulR3NU90Hcc_2B0TStNMmR31OShMSjV9_Sl_9Hqrh7ts8DwbtGhWnWHzqOuitYZEOpWRsZe4f5vPsnaDTn6enyXXe1MO0QuRBARQjx_a1OBYR0k

6Qv5GNGhWPJVEmiDP8CvhBaE0_yo5DT1mesBW4_YkmdjncY6r1BdBczTlxpFWXCdXiZ5i1tN31VZYV4WNp2xi6Rej7CshNGqYNhxs0PJJN-9QFdVTq50pCYATaypzv_JlDKMewWHubg6xkkPOZ6v5bM

ISSUED BY HOUSE RUTHERN

14th of Gronna ag Droba

525 E.S.

7cuESQFpQxUEbqWA9tB5woA7urfJyq2iR0-j1bnkkOdMXEoLAVUYP7eeJr92_U8kqAEu8DPzLuEQPTPZjvVvkPhT1b1BnJ53hG1eaABkusEo4IpeWYNtiAmkh6cybpZJ0xD5aCxZejd9gM4_729wmDE

It is with great sadness that the Ducal House of Ruthern announces the passing of its esteemed and noble patriarch, Ser Viktor var Ruthern. Having lived a dedicated life to King and Country, the late Duke accomplished tenfold what many others within the realm could ever dream of and with heavy hearts, the Ruthern family mourns this great loss. Throughout this trying time, the family of Duke Viktor asks for privacy and prayers. 

50v1pX4-ggUNCubC8NLlwoD9lCb-O17ZR7ho6NxtVnAMi35jKQctCa6wdfBGsQ6yGPJ_d1YZZoGm401pl8J-71M2i72BO3VwosIwzj6YZNwQ6Swi8rXNaGFShFH_pBIJJJnESiHYZ6kYk5Nu

Viktor III, Duke of Vidaus

489 E.S. - 525 E.S.

J1o6WirzHcyCv46-Cka1dWHAV9izZ75IqDAf_lk40dZfTKzscUW1B7VQsUVxXZfncEBzAbL1ypPzRCjYlXr5dtXQvHaqUDc35hM-hggf8DPRy7FN92JXq140ILwZcY2tQjsYBHguhWvM634XeMZajiQ

The late Duke’s heir, Tatiyana vas Ruthern, now ascends to the titles Duchess of Vidaus, Countess of Metterden, Viscountess of Greyspine, Baroness of Rostig, Lady of Morteskvan, Matriarch of All-Ruthern and Protector of the South. As the eldest child of his eldest child, Lady Mikhaila vas Ruthern, her inheritance is undisputed, the first female matriarch of House Ruthern in almost two centuries.

Still in her minority, the council of His Grace must now declare a regency, until such time the Duchess of Vidaus reaches the age of majority. To fill this role, Duke Viktor has selected Ser Rickard Ruthern, the young girl’s father, who shall guide and shepherd the new matriarch in her duties till that awaited maturity arrives. He is named Lord-Regent by this decree, until the Duchess reaches her 18th year.

Below are marked private writings discovered in the study of the late Duke. It was his will that such letters be published to those to whom they are addressed, and perhaps bizarrely, that a certain set of clothing articles be gifted to the new King Ivan VIII, alongside the words, “A King must dress as well as he wishes to be respected.”

Spoiler

Greetings.

I write this as my illness worsens; a wound delivered by one of the countless enemies upon the field of Westmark, in a realm which I had dedicated my life to the slaying of. In dim candle light, at the desk of modest size which I maintain in my private quarters, I write. If this is so publicized, then it shall be known that I have drawn my last breath, and so I leave these letters to those of special interest to me; as many letters as I have the energy to scribe, at the least. .

I have lived a long and privileged life. 

Though my position as Duke was not something I had desired in youth, it was a duty I took upon the death of my beloved elder sister, and something I grew to take much pride in. To rule a house so storied and ancient as my own was a privilege, as much as it was a duty to which I was compelled by the lessons which my Father and Mother both took much effort to instill within me.

I took much pride in my duties and position as Lord Emissar of our fair realm. Those close to me however may understand that I took no great joy in my job, and regarded it as a duty entrusted to me by a beloved friend, granted to me by two further friends of whom I held in highest regard. Alexander and Amaya, I hope I did well by you, as you did by me, and that the expectations of those I held close to heart were met. 

To my brother Villorik, I apologise. I love you dearly, and hold much respect in my heart for your stalwartness and resoluteness in what you stand for, but when doubt finally came to cloud your heart, I found myself shamefully somewhat relieved that even you felt such things at times. Perhaps had I known how to steel your heart, I should have protected you from further heartbreak. Shamefully, despite all my many years of experience, I still had not learnt how to properly comfort those dear to me. @Xarkly

To my sister Aleksandra, I thank you, and apologise alike. You spoke much in our childhood that you would have served a greater peer of Hanseti-Ruska than I, and perhaps that might have saved you from much heartache that you have suffered in this life, but such was not to be. Still, I thank you, for your vigour and zeal for life and our duties gave me much energy, when much weighed on myself. I only wish that I could have more thoroughly returned such favour. @Moenah

To my children, I offer my sincerest apologies. I disappointed you all in some measure, I am sure, and you saw blood spilled that you ought not have. I do not apologise for what I did, for I find that it was necessary even as I recollect now, but it was not a sight for your young eyes. Rhys, I hope that you find further purpose in your pursuit of God’s plan. Marjoreya, though I fear in many ways I have served a poor example to you in fatherhood, I am proud of the station you have risen to, and I do not blame nor hate you. @ReveredOwl@ncarr

Mikhaila, I come to join you and your mother.

To my grandchildren; the man you came to know as your grandfather is not the man that I had wished you to know, or envisioned when I was a boy. I thought I was incorruptible in my youth, and that such stations that I occupied in life should never manage to wear me down as they did my own sire, yet I seem to have come to vice all on my own. Perhaps Rhys was right, that I took after my own father in my old age. The bitter old man you knew was not once me, though it is I as you came to know Viktor var Ruthern. I can only offer my apologies, that I did not raise you with the love and care that you could not gain from your mother, and that same which I was given from my own. It is a shame that I shall carry to my end.

I have much love for you all, my kin, however, no matter how it may have seemed otherwise in the end. Rickard, you grew into an impressive man, from that whelp that once swore his loyalty to me so many decades ago. It was a bizarre lapse that I allowed a common-born man, even if a knight of the Crow, to wed my daughter, but perhaps I was simply a foolish father who wanted his daughter to marry for love. I trust you shall continue to impress, and to carve a path befitting of the family which you married into. Children, I leave House Ruthern in your eldest sister Tatiyana’s leadership, and in your capable and guiding hands, Ser Rickard.  

That I lived such a good life, blessed with many close and trusted friends, and lived long enough through war to see near all of them pass before myself is perhaps a miracle plainly in itself, or a gift that God thought to give me. Only Godan knows what He has predestined for us all, and so I can take solace knowing that in my days I lived not only as He had desired, but that my life was my own and I had lived it as I pleased.

CEUQRskXoT7cPQ2N0NOyrJIH_5FAVxXXMEY2vtWaAP5HWblbis-3mp5KvmrmAN7ADeSIw2ihY49-lkS1sBzcqbA27Z0dJO8Ry_A9LTXA3QtTSXKt_IcVb83uaMe3wHhYWiujP-SdPEquS0FvafrCPL8

qVxbUxiuC8-9lvtEHBHLjUXD7KsLjNJ9VMoacjU9t4_v-rTJMyepdraDAy4jFJZBEteCsUA74alMfSwf1Kmc_AGKrFWBzTrTlbTi-r4f-TgREMisYMTRKoiVfQBLY2hqyU5xKA031oxBROXmCmxaOI4

Amaya welcomes her old friend Viktor into the Seven Skies, toasting him with a cup of their favoured Carrion.

"You did well, old man," remarked the old queen.

Milena vas Ruthern stood amidst the crowds of refugees who had fled the Comet Lesanov, those folk oblivious to the great change that had so abruptly come upon her house. Despite those mixed emotions regarding her eldest sister and their relationship, she knew the heavy weight of their family's reputation had also landed upon the shoulders of herself and her siblings. If the whisperings of the ghosts didn't keep her awake in the nights to come, this added burden surely would.

But as her mother wished, she would stand by Tatiyana's side.

Marjoreya had, for some time, been at odds with her father - and the entirety of her family for that matter. But, her peace had finally been found, it was not as she would have wished it, but it was peace. Now she can choose to feel her father's pride, his love, and now he is not here to force her to feel otherwise with his stern gaze and cold addressment. Now she could no longer disappoint him. 

Svetlana sat in the church that Morteskvan held- in quiet silence. Finally it broke as she uttered a final goodbye.

Alfred, a Reinmaren Chieftain stood out atop a hill, which split the Ferdenwald from Haense's western border..  His cloak, looped tightly around his shoulders was battered by the wind. "I will not forget your words to me - Viktor."

Ser Leonid looked at a painting of the recently departed Duke Viktor III with his three children huddled in front of him. After rendering a salute to the painting and uttering "Rest in Peace, Comrade" he turned to the triplets and said, "Vy see that man, dear children? Were it not for him, Haense would be a Kingdom no more."

@Youngie5500 @Almenodrim @Helios_

“How is a junior house Matriarch of all Ruthern? And protector of the south? She lives in haense,” Dame Gwenyth muttered to herself as she looked over the missive from her office. Like many other missives, she simply sent it away with her dogs to shred.

After receiving the news, Erik lamented on a sunlit porch in Malkovya. "It seems my journey continues down here while yours is now somewhere higher, old friend." His gaze was cast to the sky, somewhere far away and ethereal.

(On my phone, will format better when I’m on my PC)

Baron Casimir Marius Vilac scoffed at the missive “Protector of the South?” He questioned, letting out a loud laugh throughout the Valio Villa. “You are a child. You would not be able to protect your own ass from a hungry hound.” He crumpled up the missive, throwing it into a lit brazier next to his desk. “When the bastards in Veletz tried to take my titles, I responded. They’re in their graves now. I wonder if Her Majesty will do the same…” 

For the sake of his lord brother, Villorik prayed that the wayward bloodline of Balian never spoke their dishonour in his presence.

For their sake.

On 4/14/2024 at 6:48 PM, LazyBacon220 said:

“When the bastards in Veletz tried to take my titles, I responded. They’re in their graves now. I wonder if Her Majesty will do the same…” 

Somewhere far, far away, a wayward son of Leonid 'The Martyr' Vilac patiently awaited the day he would be enthroned his father's honouraries.

"Can't wait!" Laszlo, a true-born of his line, exclaimed with a devilish grin.

Analiesa, former Princess Royal and mother to the departed Duke, stood in wait at the gates of the skies. She had taken great care of the souls who followed after her, and now - their familial generation was almost complete.

Her eyes scoured across those souls below, catching on to the unintelligible grumblings of lordlings she hadn't cared to learn the names of.  "Pay them no mind." She told her son, "Our family has never been free of criticism - the wheel turns, another will soon come to take their place and continue on their tirade."

Thus, her gaze turned to carefully watch over the new Duchess with great interest, a hand squeezing at the shoulder of her own Elizaveta. She had died so that another could succeed, and she knew that the young Tatiyana was capable of true greatness.

"Alas, smaller dogs always did like to bark the loudest." 

1 hour ago, LazyBacon220 said:

(On my phone, will format better when I’m on my PC)

Baron Casimir Marius Vilac scoffed at the missive “Protector of the South?” He questioned, letting out a loud laugh throughout the Valio Villa. “You are a child. You would not be able to protect your own ass from a hungry hound.” He crumpled up the missive, throwing it into a lit brazier next to his desk. “When the bastards in Veletz tried to take my titles, I responded. They’re in their graves now. I wonder if Her Majesty will do the same…” 

"Do something then." said Bishop Rhys var Ruthern.