[PK] They Say He was GRAND

A horrible, wretched, wicked thing received a letter.

Its thoughts were only natural, in mirror of the other dead man's own. . .

"Your blinding ambition prevented you and I from taking the Mages to unimaginable heights of power."

Say what you will of this man. I believe it. A fool, a fraud, unfit to rule.
But he always did it for us. Mages. We are here, together, in this city, in this Academy, because of him.

I will never forget the day you helped me, youthful and excited, to make my very own arcane focus. The day you believed in me.
I believe in Hohkmat because of you.

Marinus Corvus Calvissiador, resting in his office, looked out his window once more, to a world... knowable. If only we care to go out and see it.

Laurissa, the revolutionary who hadby luck and chance—led the coup that deposed Razad, finished her speech with a sheathing of that rapier of starsteel. She stepped her way past the crowds of people, those who had gathered around her and Faeryel to liberate the rule of the Academy of Hohkmat. A revolution she started out of a moment of heated emotions, of emotions she let boil to the point that she decided after her mistake to simply follow through and rattle the old man until he was put in his place. She echoed those words she spoke to him after her display of him as she descended the steps, Momento mori . . . remember, ye are mortal.

It was his last gift to her.

The conspirators wanted to force an abdication. A published missive, and a peaceful retreat into the desert. But as Faeryel sat there, in the sort of living room upon which the world turns, she felt a terrible sense of certainty that Razad would force her to kill him.

He didn't. He pulled himself on her sword, rather than making her choose. Had she failed him? Was he disappointed in her, that she would spare his life, and deny him the succession he craved?

When she stepped up to his failing body, she whispered, "I'm sorry, Master."

And then, lying through her teeth, in an attempt to comfort the dying man: "But I had to take what was mine."

"Master Fatebinder," Renilde croaked, already wrought with the grief of her first son's passing just months earlier. Renilde had never known Fatebinder casually, and had only once seen him without his mask - what a handsome face she thought he'd had. Yet, he'd been a fine conversationalist when their paths did cross politically, and he was ever reliable whenever she'd sought to call upon him or and Hohkmati for assistance.

Her fist struck a blow against the surface of the table, rattling the tea-things she usually read her correspondences over. The elderly woman wondered, clutching onto the letter as though it were a lifeline. Would her time come soon, where she would join the better half of her family and friends in the afterlife? Each passing day, she had less and less ties to those who lived above ground...

Veils of charcoal grey smoke roiled across the open air of the Northern Winds tobacco parlor. . . Within, the Madame of the establishment stood at the arched window with an outcast gaze - each breath blowing idle plumes into the still night air of Notrebanc.

Contemplation in the stead of sleep, as usual.

7f9b4539c70dcbd589600a6ad7c6aeb9.jpg

"I wish I could say that your name will be spoken with reverence, but I know that is not likely."

The old knight settles into his new study, thinking back to what he had seen, the army of magi coming out of the gates and later hearing the word of The Fatebinders death. The old knight hummed, he had few times spoken to the man even when he worked at the enclave but he had spent many years with some of his most relied on people "and now we see what is to come" Artel says, his voice echoing back to him as he speaks to the empty room.

She could have never expected that paper could bear such an impossible weight to it.

Left to reflect on those decisive moments in which Razad impaled himself upon Faeryel's sword, she couldn't have known she'd come to hold in her hands the last will of the now dead Fatebinder. An expectation to be laid upon her, she was sure, that she dreaded to face.

She did not believe that he deserved death, but he had chosen it. It was, after all, by his own will that he sought martial Kaggath as a noble end to his life - to die on his own terms. Why then, did such visceral guilt bury itself within her stomach? With a long sigh, and a deep breath in, she did find strength sufficient enough to read his final words...

A reply maybe only heard by herself and another came after some thought; answering a question with another question. The last conversation they would ever have, and it was addressed with just five words.

". . . Was there ever any doubt?"

Caius I, while engaging in a grand board game with his colleague, Cardinal Frantzisko picks up a card, and plays it;

image.png?ex=663c5228&is=663b00a8&hm=4cc

Merf wandered through the rows of books in his library, meticulously checking over each and every one - ensuring that they are in just the right spot.  He'd come across one which had been placed upside down.

"Mm!  Can't have that, can we?"  He'd hum to himself, turning the book back right side up.  "Much better!"

The gnome would continue as he had been, navigating through the shelves which lurched far, far above him: Smiling.

Atticus had felt Artel’s hand rest on his shoulder, alongside the question- I heard Fatebinder is dead. How are you feeling?

It wasn’t an easy one. He lingers in the silence of Marignan’s halls, clasping his hands together tightly, staring off to a fixed point on the wall as he thought. How did he feel? He and the Grand-Magister never had a clear relationship, if any at all. Boss, and worker. Leader, and follower. If Razad ever had feelings about him beyond that, it was never clear to him. The only time he could recall peeking past that veil was the one time he stepped aside, spoke out of line. Tired, and bitter, and war-torn as they all were. A snip about recognition, and the ego of mages. 

It was the only time he could recall making the Razad the Fatebinder angry. He can’t remember all the words exchanged now- Accusations- Razad had never taken insubordination well. Atticus wasn’t usually insubordinate. It was as much a surprise to him, as anyone, that he didn’t walk back his words. Refuted a demand for trial, and redemption, and in the end faced little consequence. He doesn’t remember how he managed that, either. But he remembers how the elder mage laid a hand on his shoulder, and faced him with a look of pride. You’ve finally grown a spine. He can’t remember another time where Razad looked on him with the same pride. Oddly, he finds himself wishing he spoke out more. Angrily, loudly, like so many others dared do. Not that he would have ever quite been capable of it.

Maybe if he’d made the man angry more often, he’d know what he thought of him. Maybe if he knew what Fatebinder thought of him, he’d know how to feel. But that’s too much to voice, and Artel is still waiting for an answer. “Complicated,” He lands on. “Complicated.” That’s succinct enough.

He walks home, after bidding the house of Theonus farewell. It takes him past the spires of Hohkmat, the imposing city on the cliffside he had watched from the first brick, to the final breath. He can’t claim to have been there as long as some, but he’d like to think his tenure meant something. The fact of it was, when you went back to the beginning, he’d have little without Hohkmat. It’s hard for him to decide where to credit himself, and where to credit those who plucked him off the side of the road and gave him a purpose. It’s hard to tell where he should credit Razad himself, in all that- But he pictures it as some sort of debt. Repaid, he hopes.

The letter arrives late. Wilford is already asleep, and the candle in his study had burnt down to its last. He pulls it from the bird on the windowsill with confusion, peeling open the small envelope as his eyes scan the contents. It doesn’t take long, but he lingers over it anyway. Once, twice, a third time. Maybe the thing that surprised him most, out of anything, was that it had been penned at all. That Razad the Fatebinder had sat down and, when considering who to address after his likely-violent demise, chose him as one of them. What went through his mind? Gratitude? Was that what Atticus had wanted?

He thought it was. Her words run through his mind, before he can stop them. He talks to you like you’re a child.

The letter says everything, and nothing, like every conversation they ever had. His hands curl slightly at the edges, eyes fixing on those last words. I’m not Hakad. I’m a debtor. That was what he had said during that argument, that single argument- Or something along those lines. Wasn’t he supposed to be the one with the debt? Had he ever cleared it? He was being thanked, and that was supposed to be what he wanted, and shouldn’t he be happy with it?

He turns, and steps back towards his chair. It’s another long few minutes of silence in his study, staring at the letter, before he can put together the words. He tries to picture the man’s face, but he only saw it twice.

”… I wanted to know what you thought of me. And I wanted to-“ He pauses, and presses his lips together frustratedly- “I wanted to be more than other people’s work, for the rest of my life. And you always spoke about seeing potential in people, and I wanted to know-“

He sighs, and folds the letter, glancing aside. “… Then again, it doesn’t matter now.” Then he looks back to that burned-low candle, and snuffs it. Reaching into the drawer of his desk, he lights another.

Once, he thought Razad the Fatebinder to be infallible. A mage-king, a leader, to who he owed a debt of life. The mage of mages. Then thirty years and a war passed, and he saw an egotistical man. A foolish man, a detached man, a proud man- Who did not see the value of those around him, beyond his tunnel vision dream. The mage of mages. And then the Fatebinder died, in a blaze of pride, and ego, and blood. And Atticus still wonders the same questions he now knows he will never ask.

Not that he ever would have.

He lets the candle burn down, and leaves the letter on his desk. The world turns on. He’ll never know, really, if Razad saw more in him than a pair of hands to work. But perhaps he would be fine not knowing. After all, that was his own call to make.

59 minutes ago, MadOne said:

Caius I, while engaging in a grand board game with his colleague, Cardinal Frantzisko picks up a card, and plays it;

image.png?ex=663c5228&is=663b00a8&hm=4cc

The High Pontiff could feel an odd sensation, before a letter fell onto his head...

Ayche sits by his tent, somewhere in the wilderness. It's not entirely clear how the letter got to him - it's not as though he has an address these days, and he's sure that letter wasn't there a few moments ago, when he'd turned away to start a fire. He would've noticed a courier slipping into his campsite.

He reads the letter over once, then twice. He's done his duty, he's received recognition - and now, once again, he's free. Part of him wonders if things would have turned out differently, if he'd never left Hohkmat. But a general without a war to fight is just a politician, and he's never been much of a politician. 

Still, he wishes he'd been there at the end. 

Klog sits on the Rex Rock in Krugmar, reading the missive. He bursts out laughing, "Whub do theze twiggiez gruk dey ahm... Dey all flat zho zoon... Mi can nub believe dey ahm talking down on Lanre agh Yera, dey ahm hozh twiggiez, da only hozh twiggiez.... How dare dey talk buurz about Lanre... Mi will have zome gobboz curze hiz grave..."