PVP/RP BLOGPOST 2021

louislxix

This is great feedback that provides solutions. Hopefully it is implemented!

+1.  (give me rep for epic feedback)

Edited by Masouri

You're very based don

(Crying cus I'm not on the SS tho...)

Responding to the first italicized paragraph bordering on hysterics:

The same level of lawyering is practiced on the offensive side. Raiders will sprint jump in to a city and demand no one be allowed to oppose them but a small group caught roleplaying near the gate. If defenders are not allowed to defend, they're forced to pull every advantage they can to weather through the abuse.

Liberal PvP reform isn't going to help anyone. Anything shy of a reconsideration of how we handle our whole conflict & war system is going to be half-assed and changed in 3 months.

Please +1

Gear isn't in enough supply for battles like this to happen every other day. If you have two 50v50 battles one after another and most everyone gets popped, many nations won't have enough gear to fight any more battles for a while. Perhaps if this was to be implemented tech should look at reducing the cost of making gear.

Lastly, who would decide if an assassination attempt or something similar is a fleshed out roleplay? I could several problems being created when someone is attempting to assassinate HOWEVER, the defend wants to call PVP default since they don't feel like the assassination is targeted against their character but rather they are targeted because they happened to be alone. If that was the case, to me that would be just a random ganking opposed to a fleshed out roleplay experience and thus the defend should be allowed to PVP default that.

I approve this message 

The suggested raid rules, in my opinion, are very needed. If not these, then something along the lines of it. Raids need to be an thing where rp is allowed. After all, surely the raiding party has to be there rply, and if they are, why can't rp happen? There should definitely be a reward for the winning party to encourage the attacking party to properly prepare, and for the defending party to rally and call on their allies. Otherwise, raids are nothing but a way to get people on the server to argue for 2 hours and fight for 10, just for half of them to get off right after. Very good post here by mr don, and these rules should definitely be considered.

57 minutes ago, Asutto said:

Gear isn't in enough supply for battles like this to happen every other day. If you have two 50v50 battles one after another and most everyone gets popped, many nations won't have enough gear to fight any more battles for a while. Perhaps if this was to be implemented tech should look at reducing the cost of making gear.

I believe this was planned, with Vortex crafting being removed and adding the ability to craft old gear together for higher durability gear. 

tTxqRxh3W2rM57RDLmOM6CUV2B_idSjXjPz68FdO

LoTC PvPers are trapped in a prison of their own creation. There is a perpetual dissatisfaction felt by bandana roleplayers because they derive enjoyment from challenge but do not seek out any. PvP is most fun at large numbers between nearly even sides, so of course the eternal bandana avoids any potentially outnumbered combat, picks on lone roleplayers and kites across the map, denying himself any satisfaction. 

There are good ideas in the OP but it comes down to what Alty said; attackers game the system and then are frustrated when defenders game the system more effectively. The reason the raid rules are such an abhorrent repressive labyrinth is because players are allowed to exploit loopholes and act without any sort of good faith. If the rules do not prevent you from sprinting 10 dudes into a city without roleplaying you will do it.

Meaningfully changing the raid rules would necessarily require changing attitudes. There is a reason these rules are rewritten seemingly every few months; they are a fundamentally untenable compromise between people who play this server for entirely different reasons.

You're not wrong but it's very funny to hear about how lotc pvp is "too competitive" and how bandits shouldn't "rely on pvp" for narratively interesting encounters. People have been complaining about this for half a decade and countless people have been driven off our server by LoTC's insistence to graft a weird PvP metagame onto role-play. The same brain affliction that drives a man to make gangster rap pvp montages prevents him from enjoying conflict on this server, they are diametrically opposed attitudes.

The one thing I really can't argue w/ you about is that the current war system is deeply stupid. All of the buildup and suspense surrounding a player war gets thrown out in 1 to 2 laggy skirms, it would be way cooler to have a drawn out dynamic warzone with real consequences, and this would ironically solve some of the logistical & moderation problems involved with wars. Fingers crossed I hope Telanir sees this.

I'd like to start off by saying the balance of PVP and RP was one of the major reasons why I enjoyed the server. Since the bar fell more towards slice of life rather than playing your role made it very dull. Playing a role since the start was one of the major foundations of the server so it's not like that will ever change. Most people who actually complain about getting raided and causing a role-play to be ruined also have all the liberty to take their role-play elsewhere to avoid it and let the guard respond.

Villainy has always been a very broad definition for conflicting interests. There are some nations with cultures that are darker in worship than others, yet stand as a main race. Usually the offender is always stuck as the 'villain', but the conflict of interest is the cause. A Human army raiding an Elf city would cause the Humans to be considered attacking villains even if they were doing it to provide for their own people.

Minor Villainy would fall around things such as raids and such, but there is always a means to an action. A /true/ villain would be those that cause grief beyond measure. This would be an example of the Undead, who attempt to cause complete ruin yet have no place on the server as a community anymore.

Most communities are often formed as cliques but I have always seen banditry as a smaller group of friends taking up a small role rather than taking up power as a Lord. As for raiding, when I first joined the server during Vailor the appeal of a raid was similar to that of a Guild Monster Hunt. Instead though, it was a PvP clash between cities and very popular activity that allowed people to rally through Skype. The moment a ping was sent into chat about an incoming battle would cause almost everyone to hop online immediately to defend. It wasn't seen as something majorly important but rather as a rallying activity, because the only thing gained through victory are items and most of the time they weren't moderated because groups could dynamically rally and fight it out on their own.

One of my main issues with the raid rules currently is that peacetime raids are discouraged greatly allowing merely a family of 5 as a max cap. Yet regardless of a win or a loss for the 5 man peacetime raiding party allows the defending city to be on cooldown for 2.5 days (12 hours per player) or nearly half a week. The cooldown gives the city a few days to recover, but is intended to suppress any further raiding even though realistically you could do the server vote for a single day and obtain nearly a full set of armor back through the Auction House. War Raids are almost just as a bad because instead of being a minor raid where loot is simply the outcome, instead they added a way to encroach upon enemy territory by establishing a war camp through victory. 

I'm not sure war-zones would even come back as an alternate to war raiding. These days though unfortunately the rules suppress a lot of dynamic conflicts from occurring, which includes mods pushing OOC chat delaying a raid in progress for hours. Frankly, it is quite depressing because these kind of activities create high energy for player activity and participation. I think it is very deteriorative to suppress small conflicts like these not only because it is a very fun activity but what is the point of having Monks if people don't die? They are there for a reason to practice making sure that regardless of what actions you take to progress your character doesn't mean the end due to Monk Revival, because that it solely up to your own story and decision.

Spoiler

I have always seen this as the most appropriate approach on combat for a medieval role-playing server to progress conflict while allowing players to actually spend time to progress their characters based on their role.

1-2 Player(s): Duel [Occurs daily]
2-4 Player(s): Brawl [Occurs daily]
5-20 Player(s): Raid [Occurs 5-10 times monthly with a cooldown relative to grief caused]

20-40 Player(s): Skirmish [Scheduled]

40-100+ Player(s): Warclaim [Scheduled]

Though something that might take away from spam raiding would be if groups actually competed for node resources based on environments that they must show up early or skirmish for to obtain, but unfortunately each community is gifted their own resources/mines. Some miners would have to compete with other miners, and if they couldn't work a compromise would force their ambitions to leave morality behind and use force to obtain what they want. This can be applied to almost any skill or occupation useful in a society.

((apologies for big response))

7 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

tTxqRxh3W2rM57RDLmOM6CUV2B_idSjXjPz68FdO

LoTC PvPers are trapped in a prison of their own creation. There is a perpetual dissatisfaction felt by bandana roleplayers because they derive enjoyment from challenge but do not seek out any. PvP is most fun at large numbers between nearly even sides, so of course the eternal bandana avoids any potentially outnumbered combat, picks on lone roleplayers and kites across the map, denying himself any satisfaction. 

There are good ideas in the OP but it comes down to what Alty said; attackers game the system and then are frustrated when defenders game the system more effectively. The reason the raid rules are such an abhorrent repressive labyrinth is because players are allowed to exploit loopholes and act without any sort of good faith. If the rules do not prevent you from sprinting 10 dudes into a city and attacking a lone AFK guy someone will do it. 

Meaningfully changing the raid rules would necessarily require changing attitudes. There is a reason these rules are rewritten seemingly every few months; they are a fundamentally untenable compromise between people who play this server for entirely different reasons.

You're not wrong but it's very funny to hear about how lotc pvp is "too competitive" and how bandits shouldn't "rely on pvp" for narratively interesting encounters. People have been complaining about this for half a decade and countless people have been driven off our server by LoTC's insistence to graft a weird PvP metagame onto role-play. The same brain affliction that drives a man to make gangster rap pvp montages prevents him from enjoying conflict on this server, they are diametrically opposed attitudes.

The one thing I really can't argue w/ you about is that the current war system is deeply stupid. All of the buildup and suspense surrounding a player war gets thrown out in 1 to 2 laggy skirms, it would be way cooler to have a drawn out dynamic warzone with real consequences, and this would ironically solve some of the logistical & moderation problems involved with wars. Fingers crossed I hope Telanir sees this.

unknown.png

5 minutes ago, Orlanth said:

unknown.png

you seem to be leaving out a major L.