Chipped Porcelain [PK]

pC_AjvPZyR0WmT4W69jMkJQzShJ0ZAwSz-WidM1JOovNXjuCjsyG-Br3BqJzb1M4q1BIutzVUNOu4aws1tD1GdY8omHVQdW-UUl-3KHuvO_-QVZ3LGPyy9wZ6WHUmvJMKYJJJeXc

Spoiler

HCMrtHL4w3SNEwcX053zN7ZkBsiL0ODIrE8cQL8kb4LeVr1peZ6yNNcQMs20G9EIk7JtEXm_bEb-u5gnzjccScxr-6MplTOR3N4a4XjDOpB1kGDNw_eJzoGEawgkwaqzbe_-qsGV

Henrietta Theresé Helvets, b. 1825 - d. 1857

How puzzling Henrietta Helvets had always been, an imperfect piece of porcelain that could never be polished quite right. She had always understood she wouldn’t be akin to one of the maidens in the fables, written with an immaculate ending. There was always going to be something much darker in store for her. That was an indisputable fact.

The matter of her death was utterly ironic, almost as if her demise was prophesied years before. She died alone in the mud, her blood pooling beneath her and seeping into the very earth she had once called home. She had died with onlookers idly peering upon her fragile form as she struggled to retain a hold on her vitality. 

Just as someone she once knew.

She recalled a voice, a murmur barely above that of a whisper which spoke to her, a calloused hand caressing her blood-stained cheek. 

"Etta, please," he uttered, jaw clenched as tears rolled down his cheeks. "I'm sorry.”

[!] This is information unknown to the public, please do not metagame this part of the post. The information released to Haense and Henrietta’s relatives can be found beneath, ‘Missive from Cathalon’.

Spoiler

"May the pontiff rot in the nether, the cursed man!" They had spat, their venom seeping into each utterance. They were a younger woman, no older than Henrietta was when her mother had died. "He allowed thousands of canonists to meet an unjust death!"

"Do not say such. Do not say such ever again, 'else I'll be gone from here." Henrietta had retorted, steadfast in her faith and opinions. She knew the former pontiff, god bless his soul, to be a good god-fearing man. 

“I fought for Oren, Henrietta. I was at that godforsaken siege, and I saw good canonist men and women slaughtered by the blades of the Tripartite Accord. Were you there?” The younger of the two women had retorted, hands clenched into angry fists. Henrietta could not believe the words that were rolling from her tongue.

There was a moment of silence, and the three looked to one another - each sporting the same head of fiery red hair, each sharing the same eyes, the same lineage. How similar they all were, and yet how different.

"I was." Henrietta had responded firmly, proudly. "I fought for my kingdom, my country. I fought for Haense."

Gray clouds began to stir above the Cathalon seat of Cheval Hall, and so the downpour followed, intermingling with their raucous disagreement, emitting a symphony that overshadowed the obscenities they screamed. She had always been prone to anger. Perhaps it was a trait that ran in their bloodline, firmly rooted in their souls and who they were as children of God. She could see that same trait in him.

There was a crack of thunder, an exchange of blows - yet Henrietta didn't want to hurt them, she just wanted them to love her– she just wanted acceptance. 

But they didn’t love her. They didn’t accept her.

Pain. She grasped for his doublet and curled her fingers into the fabric, lips parting only to allow that of struggling breath to vacate her lungs. She looked to him with widened eyes, her white veil congealing with the crimson ichor of her blood, leaking from her temple and pooling down the side of her face, darkening her ginger tresses.

“You can let go now, Etta.” 

“I’m not ready, Mama.”

Fear. She fell to the floor in a heap, as if she were a discarded toy with parts too broken to fix. She lay upon her back in the mud of Cheval Hall, tears stinging at her eyes as she peered up into the sky, the rain continuing to pelt down from the skies. She wanted to scream, and she wanted them to help her. 

“You’re only causing yourself pain, dove - please, please let go.”

“I’m not ready, I’m not ready!”

Anger. How could she stand there and leave her to suffer? How could he have hurt her so terribly? 

At that moment, she felt such a fit of intense anger that she had never experienced before. A rage that bubbled and broiled within her stomach, spreading throughout her body like a disease, and she wanted them to suffer, she wanted them to be hurt, just as she was. She wanted him to know that this was all his fault. 

She would not rest. She would not ascend to the Seven Skies.  

He had crouched down beside her, but she couldn't tell what he was doing. He had pulled her onto his lap, gently resting his palm against her cheek, and she wanted to feel safe with him as she had before, but when she peered up into his cold, blue eyes, she felt only envy and malice. 

He would get to live. He would get to do so many things, and he had stolen it from her. 

He had stolen it, He had stolen it, He had stolen it!

She heard that same voice, a soft murmur in her ear, and yet it sounded panicked. She couldn't tell if it was her imagination, or the afterlife calling to her. 

"Henrietta, please - don't do this, come home to me - let go!"

She couldn’t, and thus, she died with pain, fear, and anger in her heart.

J40emwoniUA2KhEaQ8DpA2eUYNPvW2QCjxb4W5Pfbh782qjr8lbr723Zq_cZHRMcEB3Ekz-ARhJiBuNBZNKBSnC0OF9fUEKqBJ1dL_zDx3Sp0jA7ee10bl4DG7rPDzLMB2UlMfwj

"She had been to visit me," Cried Henrietta's younger sister, Laurentina. "She was attacked by a bandit, she died to protect me!"

To the Kingdom of Haense,

It is with deep regret that we must inform you of the attack and following passing of Princess Dowager Henrietta of Alban.

On the 16th of the Amber Cold of the year 1856, the Lady Laurentina of Cathalon was receiving house calls in lieu of the Astercalia. The gates to the estate were open for that reason and anyone could enter the grounds. Princess Henrietta visited to offer her youngest sister support and advice. 

They were in the gardens when suddenly, an armed man on horseback rode in and threatened the both of them. Princess Henrietta ushered her younger sister behind herself and a fight with the unknown assailant ensued. The commotion drew out the Heir to the Duchy of Cathalon, Helton Rhodes Helvets. He drew his blade just as Princess Henrietta fell to the ground, a gashing wound upon her head. 

The screaming, and Helton approaching with a weapon in hand,  made the unknown attacker flee the scene. 

Lady Laurentina swung on her horse and went to the Imperial City of New Providence for help as Lord Helton remained to try and stop Henrietta from bleeding. As Lady Laurentina returned with a soldier and a medic, only the death of the Princess Dowager could be confirmed. 

With this letter comes the body of our beloved daughter and sister in the hopes that you may let her rest near her late husband. We also ask that you kind people of Haense care for Princess Henrietta's two children or allow us to take them in and care for them instead.

We also ask you to pray for our departed sister and to keep her in your hearts as we will do the same.

Faithfully, and with wishes of our condolences,

Lady Laurentina Marigold Helvets 

Spoiler

I'd like to thank all of the people who made this character possible. Her end is extremely bittersweet, I was in quite a difficult place with her at the time where I knew I had things I wanted to pursue, but very little motivation to pursue them. This is my first ever character death on LOTC, my first ever real character, too. I'm a relatively new player to LOTC, I've only been playing for around eight months (I joined in June), and Fishy aswell as Fie took a chance on me with welcoming me into their noble family. It's been a blast, and I'm extremely grateful. Becoming a Helvets introduced me to some of my new very good friends, and I very much feel like a real member of the community, now.

No hard feelings at all, and I'm quite happy with how Henrietta's story ended. Much love xox

Spoiler

“Where she goes, so do I. I'm not leaving her alone.” Demanded Henrietta of someone, her daughter no longer lost– only broken, battered, and trembling in her arms.

“Not ever again.”

Gvbtrdz6Ie2aI0q2alGh00_8a3U-STL50prkWFMmx0Yl5Y7psez5hEiKbRO3_wy-Rli-CgWh4Goh-SQPAjCpm1mNv_xmrX00B0YemocVANMT436Ba2pNvYGvEy_zJukoxQBd8_ru

[ He Lurks, by Mona ;-) ]

Mamej! MAMEJ!

He only appears when the room grows dim, and the sun is no longer there to brighten it. The Shadow Man. When he is inside, he no longer has his pale horse– but she can hear the echoes of the dread he brings ring against the walls, chimings made from the gilded threads he wore- the talismans, the curios. And thus, the walls contort, and they close in. And when they twist and turn, Elizaveta runs away.

He lurked around the corner, only moments ago. She could see his calloused hands curling against the pillar. Clear as day, and only to her, did his baritone voice drawl,

“She is no mother of yours: no longer.

His gibberings are muddled now. Mixing together. And echoing amongst Nikarala Pikraz for everyone else is the sound of her quick footsteps, and the sound of her cries.

“That Henrietta, Spat the Shadow Man, a dour grimace on his countenance. “She is–”

“Vyr Highness!” Now, a child close in age to her called to Elizaveta, running to her side baffled. But, it did not quell the panic. He would not leave her head.

“Stop it! STOP!” Shrieks the young Barbanov. And with a swing, her head bands against the wall with a THUD! Once, then twice. Finally, she can acknowledge the eyes, pressing on her.

“Have vy calmed down, vyr Highness?” Asks the elder of the two Rutherns, forcing a smile on her face. But, Elizaveta backed up to the wall in fear, hysterical and rocking back and forth. He was coming for her– her and her mother. But, no one would listen. No one else heard him.

Where was she?

The days pass, but still, she waits. Because, despite the news her aunt struggled to give her, Elizaveta only believes her mother is lost. Just as she was. And such denial is commonplace, with that kind of trauma, so young. 

She had not seen her body yet. She had seen her father’s, she had seen her aunt’s. But never her mother’s. It is easier to believe she still lives, she thinks. For what was she supposed to do if she was truly gone?

Her thoughts pause then. And by the time the wayward voices stop, from the window of the Palace, her ivy hues catch onto a familiar corpse.

r

Matyas recalled a moment some years ago, when his sister was gone and he was bedridden, where his mother had come to offer him soup to keep him well. Those days, of course, had long passed, and his most recent memories of his mother were of her scolding him for doing things wrong or inappropriately.

Nevertheless, the teary-eyed boy still stated a somber, "Ea miss vy, mamej."

Nikoleta Barbara hid under a staircase, smoking a cigarette. The fresh echoing turmoil of sobs filled her head. Incapable of rescuing herself from the dreaded spiral that had been triggered the saints day prior. They whispered, pleaded for life, with her. She was the one who had to inform her sisters daughter, she was the one who had to commune with such wretched and unrestful beings. It was torture. 

Solheim mourns the loss of her friend, and frets over the state of poor Elizaveta. "She's suffered too much in such a short life, the wee thing. I donnae know if I'll be able tae continue watchin' o'er her, given her ma's absence."

The hegemon did not stir.

Spoiler

The Crow of Cathalon wept, longing for and trying to get her daughter to ascend to the skies. She could not help it. She could not help her dearest baby that died the same way Leopoldine had died 14 years prior.

-x-

Laurentina lost her smile as she lost her older sister. The woman who had taken care of and raised her. Her closest confidante. Gone.
She remembered that GOD awful crack she heard when the attacker's punch hit the side of the princesses head. A crack she had heard years before when her sister Daphne fell from a balcony and broke her neck. Henrietta fell to the floor and all the frustration she had felt for her older sister mere moments prior had vanished.

Shivering, the Helvets sat curled up in a corner of her room as though she was still a little child.

Again and again, she recalled words spoken through a clenched jaw: "Never speak of this to anyone."

Could she have done more to save Etta if only Laurentina had shouted at them to stop?
Would she carry the burden of a lie with her until the day she died?
Must she tell the truth to save her soul?

An old friend and certain Orenian princess heard of the news, a hand gripping her heart as her eyes fell closed. She didn’t cry but the pain of loss felt heavy. 

Best friends forever, Etta. Forever.” She whispered as her eyes fell to a small berry coin made by children. “Rest well, Princess Etta of Rosehelm.

With that she took a moment to sigh out, hoping it would relieve some of the tension held in her chest. To no avail. It would linger with her for weeks, never truly being able to get over the loss of a childhood friend. 

Joseph Clement de Sarkozy recalls when the two first met, Joseph being a child at that time and being a friend of Laurentina. He signed the Lorraine and thus said "May you find yourself at peace, good Henrietta."

The chaos and crack Helton heard before, followed by the sickening silence afterward was a series of sounds that would never quite leave his mind.  He had done both too much and too little for Henrietta.

He would regret coming home that day, 'till the day he died.

A stout figure in crimson robes releases a handful of leaves into the passing winds, watching them float over the treeline and off the dim shores of broken shells and crashing waves. He walked along its trail, the bottom of his boots taking in the seafoam. A peaceful moment, as he made his way back to the forest as promised. 

Klara Elizaveta sat numbly in her room of the Nikirala Prikaz, once more dressed in the deep black of her mourning clothes. She seemed to wear black so often these days, first for her uncle, Marus. Then her aunt, Petra. And now for Henrietta, the woman who'd taken care of her when her uncle hadn't know what to do. The old injury in her wrist flared with dull pain as she thought about it, and although the young princess could not remember what caused it, the ache only reminded her that something was missing.

"Ea refuse to believe she went back to her papej willingly, it is more likely that the ISA soldier we caught hiding in the bushes of the palace was looking for entrances and they kidnapped Henrietta from the palace to murder her. Only they have realised their mistake and are trying to cover it up, there is niet way she would willingly go back there." remarked a furious Walton, he knew he should have executed that imperial soldier who hide in the bushes of the palace residence.

Adhemar Dusek would have returned home, rubbing his eyes as the events were repeated within his head, the sounds of the screams and cries that Henrietta's death had caused, recalling that he was one of the first alongside other members of the BSK that rallied at the sounds of a mourning child, the young Morovar would have remained silent, not greeting, not taking a moment to spare anyone a glance, he would simply make his way into his room as staring out of his balcony, simply recalling and reliving the memories of that fateful day , muttering to himself "Ea wish there was something else that could've been done.."

Edited by Armod