Lets talk about -1's

JoshBright

I have literally never seen someone -1 on a post and use RP as their reasoning behind the -1. If they do, it's to show the players OOC behaviour that derived from or was in regards to said roleplay. Also never really seen something like ""they are a two-faced person because of what they did in rp one time" used in a -1 comment either. 

For this, I give you a -1 

Edited by Fumi

So in your scenario we should bring more negativity to the server? This would only add more bad to the toxic environment of the community, so, hypothetically say I don't agree with someone's view, should it be allowed to go to do a systematic downvote on posts people made throughout their time spent on LotC? This way you just make an endless cycle of hate. I will not condone that. People can make proper reasoning for their anger instead a flat, rather irrelevant -1. That's my take on this. So it's a no from me.

-1s are great and the only thing better would be returning the downvote button

-1 are a great part of LOTC and should frankly we should reintroduce the downvote. This server is full of freaks and making them feel bad when they apply for staff (after sucking up to staff managers for a few months by playing league of legends) is a great thing. 

5 hours ago, DrakeHaze. said:

Forums should have the option to downvote posts if accounts are able to upvote posts.

As for -1 on staff apps it is necessary for players to be able to give criticism on other players and if it really just boils down to mud slinging then the moderation team that looks at the staff app will likely be able to realize that aswell.

5 hours ago, ᴜɴᴡɪʟʟɪɴɢʟʏ said:

people who apply to mod or any staff team open themselves up to criticism and backlash, -1s are taken into consideration and evaluated as long as they provide a valid point and aren't just "-1 lol" tier replies 

so yeah if someone goes, "they are a two-faced person because of what they did in rp one time" that's pretty much going to be ignored

unless the person reviewing the staff apps is desperate to fill their roster

edit: slorbin also hit the nail on the head too. there have been some genuinely disgusting fkn people on staff, so people who get -1'd by a plethora of players don't get it for no reason or because people do it out of spite

5 hours ago, Crevel said:

+1s mean nothing when it comes to staff applications except to boost egos because people like to spam their own applications in every discord they have access to telling people to +1 with a comment to get it on trending. More often than not, people comply with these because they're friends with the person and not because they actually think they'd be a good fit for the team despite saying something along the lines of 'blah blah blah, good skills in blah blah'. I've seen numerous people give a +1 reply to a staff app but will upvote every -1s on the same app, likely out of fear of being ostracised or peer pressure if they openly made their own -1 comment. If there are -1s on a staff app and a lot of upvotes on it, that's how you know that there's something there. I personally haven't seen any -1s that mention RP except to use it as context to someone's OOC behaviour about a situation. It is how it is.

5 hours ago, Slorbin said:

-1's are needed. Some players are genuine, human garbage, the absolute plagued of the crop, and some people don't know that, let alone the moderation team.

Whoever has mass -1's is probably hated for good damn reason. Not just the odd one or two dislikers in RP but pages of -1's.

2 hours ago, Fumi said:

I have literally never seen someone -1 on a post and use RP as their reasoning behind the -1. If they do, it's to show the players OOC behaviour that derived from or was in regards to said roleplay. Also never really seen something like ""they are a two-faced person because of what they did in rp one time" used in a -1 comment either. 

For this, I give you a -1 

1 hour ago, Tulan said:

So in your scenario we should bring more negativity to the server? This would only add more bad to the toxic environment of the community, so, hypothetically say I don't agree with someone's view, should it be allowed to go to do a systematic downvote on posts people made throughout their time spent on LotC? This way you just make an endless cycle of hate. I will not condone that. People can make proper reasoning for their anger instead a flat, rather irrelevant -1. That's my take on this. So it's a no from me.

24 minutes ago, ScreamingDingo said:

6 minutes ago, Narthok said:

-1 are a great part of LOTC and should frankly we should reintroduce the downvote. This server is full of freaks and making them feel bad when they apply for staff (after sucking up to staff managers for a few months by playing league of legends) is a great thing. 

let me rephrase as I believe I might have phrased it incorrectly the first time or forgot to add this;

people should be allowed to give a -1, I'm not saying to remove that. I just wish if people are to put comments along with it I believe they should be constructive. 

11 minutes ago, JoshBright said:

let me rephrase as I believe I might have phrased it incorrectly the first time or forgot to add this;

people should be allowed to give a -1, I'm not saying to remove that. I just wish if people are to put comments along with it I believe they should be constructive. 

I want to agree with you, but some people are beyond saving. 

39 minutes ago, ScreamingDingo said:

Like this monster.

I understand your sentiment, but staff don't really pay attention to people venting about being upset about war results or the fact that X player applying for Y staff position upset Z player in a little conflict roleplay. There may be scrutiny given especially to those applying for moderation to ensure that there isn't a pattern of deliberately improper conduct, but otherwise my ability to dupe someone in roleplay has no bearing for example on my ability to write (using myself as an example since I am a Lore Master).

If this is more of a push for culture change to get players to individually stop posting petty comments, then hear hear I am with you.

Literally just shit on their post smh it’s much more effective 

5 hours ago, Harold said:

I want to agree with you, but some people are beyond saving. 

Like this monster.

your mod application made you soft

any unconstructive +1 or -1 shouldn't be taken into consideration for applications, i'm talking about "x3 +1 this person is a harmless bean!!!" [when in reality they're toxic outside of their friendgroup]

or "-1 really immature" bro WHY do you think they are immature, and can you write it where you also don't seem biased too?? 

Sometimes RP actions can be used for criticism, because it can be a playstyle from a person or it shows how they perceive the server and interact with other players.  Do they play to just win for themselves, are they selfish, do they powergame, metagame, or are they open to working with others, and go with the flow of things?  Is their RP just thinly veiled OOC, or do they put a lot of consideration into what they do? 

idfk what context this post was made for, im just making a general statement and also

It's definitely a case by case basis for the comments and it is all subjective. I do think it is a very healthy thing for people to bring to point when applicants acted out in ways they shouldn't have or didn't handle RP situations in a mature way. Luckily most people are able to distinguish the two from real cases and bogus which also means that the people reviewing the app can do the same.

I know, for me, when reviewing apps and seeing claims like that I would often follow that up with log searching or some light digging either by asking peers or community members about specific situations. Part of what makes LotC beautiful is different opinions and places where people come from. A couple -1 comments on apps hold very different weight compared to a couple -1's with an attached reason that lays out their stance. People at the end of the day should take judging their peers on these apps in a serious manner.

People who post just a -1 should be euthanized.

But 

People who -1 and an actual useful opinion should be given a gold star. 

I know I have always taken in -1s into account there are a few people that staff don’t know about but the players do. Think of it as player screening if they can get past that it’s usually how we ween out people who can’t handle the pressure or the outlast of people. 

as well as if the rp of it was really bad as they say we (as mods) might have some insight and can look into infractions if it was that big of a deal otherwise I don’t want it to go away. It shouldn’t be taken away unless it gets too toxic but the community is really good about who is and shouldn’t be. 

as well as the +1 spam people that I see ask for +1s on their staff apps I usually ignore unless there are insightful comments on there cause it’s not a popularity contest.

ye basically what everyone else has already said. -1's are useful from time to time, +1's really don't do anything. The only real exceptions are getting a lot of comments on your application or getting none at all. And even then management might decide something else.

Personally I appreciate a heads up in a manager's DMs more than a public call out on someone's application, but y'know. Case-to-case thing.