LotC Development Opinions

Aesopian

LotC Development Opinions  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want potions created through alchemy to have mechanical properties?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you want there to be a mechanical system to create potions, and if so, should it exist alongside or as a replacement for the current roleplay-mediated system to generate potions?

• Yes, either would be acceptable.
    • Yes, but only if it replaced the roleplay-mediated system to generate potions.
    • Yes, but only if it existed alongside the roleplay-mediated system to generate potions.
    • No.
  3. 3. Do you think the server should be CRP default or defender default?

• CRP Default [Combat automatically defaults to CRP]
    • Defender Default [The defender in the combat chooses whether PVP or RP is used to decide the result]
  4. 4. Do you prefer raids default to CRP or PVP (or at the discretion of the leaders of the two parties involved)?

• CRP
    • PVP
  5. 5. Do you think it should be possible to create items with nonvanilla mechanical effects (e.g. a one-use grappling hook that could launch you up a wall)?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Would you prefer the current raid system, or one which is restricted to one raid per month, but completely unrestricted in player counts?

• Current Raid System
    • One Restricted to 1/month but without player number restrictions
  7. 7. Do you think the ST should be able to give players items with mechanical effects (e.g. a staff that can launch fireballs)?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Do you think players should be able to create, through either roleplay or a mechanical system, items with magical effects (e.g. a staff that can launch fireballs)?

• Yes
    • No
  9. 9. Do you believe the staff should work towards nonlinear antagonists (e.g. an undead nation which has a free casus beli to attack the living and gains PVP bonuses in warclaims when doing so, but is NOT garaunteed to end the map)?

• Yes
    • No
  10. 10. Do you think religion should have a greater role in national political mechanics (e.g. providing discounts to war claims under certain circumstances)?

• Yes
    • No

How well would religion face, outside of canonism, Most other races or their faiths dont usually have  too much of an impact. That would also mean nearly every war would more then likely be a holy war cause "Deus vult." moments.

ST should not be able to hand out mechanical items at their own discretion. That's just a gateway to abuse. Allow players to earn and craft things on their own without needing to rely on a human / staffmember to give it to them.

47 minutes ago, Aesopian said:

I forgot defender default for raids WOOPS

😔 the third option has been expunged. And Crp is fun :)

1 hour ago, Aesopian said:

Minecraft

In that case, I'm voting no on those. I think rules on items should be specific like "does 5 hearts of damage with a range of 7 squares" but it shouldn't actually do the 5 hearts of damage. That's what /d is for. Too easy to abuse otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Burnsider said:

In that case, I'm voting no on those. I think rules on items should be specific like "does 5 hearts of damage with a range of 7 squares" but it shouldn't actually do the 5 hearts of damage. That's what /d is for. Too easy to abuse otherwise.

u shud vote accordingly in that case

1 hour ago, Harold said:

Love that the Dev team is looking for opinions; thats pretty neato.

I want to make this very clear below though (on the developer points brought up in your post Aesop.)

We had mechanical potions; they were removed for a reason. 

We had raid ladders, they were removed for a reason (in response to grappling hooks.)

Items with mechanical magic effects (i.e boomsticks) were removed for a reason.

Lets not rehash that, as I'm genuinely ready to throw old hands.

We haven't had another nonlinear antagonist that wasn't world ending, as again, its been done before (more than once) and it became a circle jerk for the staff in charge of it, and their friends. 

Love Harold

x

I've been around in the background of the server for a few years now with varying periods of inactivity, and one of the biggest things I noticed when I was a newer player (and now) is how static things can be. New ideas are poopooed by players because they didn't work in the past and they aren't willing to see things have changed and that old ideas can be given another chance in a fresh form. While I wasn't here for their intial implementation, we have a new staff, minecraft is many versions newer, we shouldn't reject something because it hasn't worked in the past. Having these things would add flavour for older players on top of being appealing to the new players which the server desperately needs. Just my 2¢ 

Tech team just removes potions from lore, so based, alchemists malding

then gives them to PvPers, even better 

CRP raids? are you fr rn? Idk abt you but I was in the Orenian trenches for most of my LOTC career and we had CRP raids, they sucked. They were horrible 4 hour long slugfests. I would much rather get absolutely butchered in my own city by some 15 year old b-hopping spastic than deal with another CRP 20v20 in my lifetime. And that's on P-Lo

If you are looking to make real magic items, take inspiration from other servers, like magic valor and world of Maria. As they have been perfecting it for years, good luck team. Love u guys

At the end of the day, LOTC is supposed to be a roleplay server. Adding pvp mechanics to items only turns us into a glorified factions server. Stick to vanilla pvp imo with simple mechanics like horse whistles. Adding mechanical items and pots only needlessly complicated the system. Look at how Nexus turned out and its most recent iteration.

Alchemy is a weird thing... I think it's probably the best system to work towards making handled by a plugin, with some caveats.
- Potions should not be usable in PvP. At the bare minimum they shouldn't be allowed in a warclaim.
- Please don't introduce a bunch of Minecraft potions into the alchemy system that aren't already there. Night Vision & Water Breathing already exists in alchemy, now's just the chance to make use of the existing system to actually make them usable. Beyond that I think we should avoid adding Alchemy Additions that just add the ability to get like strength pots and stuff. Keep it simple, and limited in nature is probably the best way to handle this. At the bare minimum do not add splash potions or lingering potions. One potion, one person.
- I think the current ST signature system for alchemy is a waste of everyone's time, Alchemy is about as exact as it gets in creation. However, I don't think making every potion mechanically makes sense. I think you should work to limit potions made through a brewing plugin to either potions that provide actual effects (like water breathing), and potions that currently require an ST signature. 

As far as other mechanical items go? Same idea. They should not be usable in PvP. PvP is balanced around the idea that everyone gets the same stuff, regardless of conventional IRP advantages. Please do not tilt that balance by adding "mechanical-roleplay" items into PvP. At the bare minimum if added, it should be kept out of large scale battles. "Mechanical-Roleplay" items even if used sparingly (they won't be) will still favor groups who pump out mechanical advantages, which makes no sense. If you want your FA/MA/CA to be relevant, you should do CRP. 

When it comes down to CRP as default? I don't think it's that hard. 
1) PvP default for groups greater than 6 unless more then 50% of participants agree to CRP
2) CRP default for groups less than or equal to 6 unless more then 50% of participants agree to PvP.
3) Nations, Settlements, and Lairs should, within their direct locations (inside a city, settlement, or lair) be able to set the default for either PvP or CRP. If more then 50% of participants agree it switches.

I'm way more iffy on rule 3... but I think a city of like Mages should be able to start in CRP and be overrided. Well a city of normal people should be able to start in PvP and be overrided. 

CRP Default I feel would be better if there was a more ramped up system for roll-based combat instead of just pure pray for rng.

This, as an option aside from just honour CRP which tends to bog down in "uhrm aktually, my five morbillion layyerz of armour stop ur sword!!111"

Having spells and magical items have actual in-game spells, like a fire gauntlet actually firing fireballs'n stuff would be amazing and really pushes for spells and magic to be just that much more immersive outside of just purely text flavour.

Idk about the ST giving out mechanical items. It'll inevitably happen that certain groups end up with a load of OP shit and others with nothing. It should be restricted to eventlines or major/important events at least - to avoid cases of some random monster conveniently exploding into ebig loot because the players like each other.

1. -

2. I don't know how you would implement a potion creation system that grants pex to craft potions depending on the tier of your FA. I think roleplay is still heavily required, or at least the potion crafting should only unlock once you progress to the next tier (ex. Roleplay tier 1 potions, but once you move on to tier 2 you are capable of crafting tier 1 potions).
I think roleplay is essential at least in the learning stage, to ensure players not only understand the basic fundamentals of alchemy and potion creation, but are also capable of being responsible with making and using potions.

3. -

4. -

5. Grappling Hooks sound incredibly dumb. I didn't like raid ladders / tnt. I don't like grappling hooks. Find alternative methods to enter cities aside from lockpicking doors, which actually give citizens time to respond to antagonists attempting to enter the city. Players cannot be trusted with something this powerful.

6. Completely unrestricted player counts provides the opportunity for completely one-sided, incredibly unfair combat / pvp. Sure, let's let groups gather their PVP goons and go slaughter entire nobles / royals in one fell swoop. Doesn't even matter if defenders choose CRP if the raid party has 30-40 odd players. Alongside this, you'll be giving Mods a massive headache with having to handle conflict between ridiculously overnumbered parties.

7 + 8. I am picking up on a common theme of assuming every player on this server can be trusted with special mechanics. Sure, I would love to see magical items that yeet out special effects, but not full mechanical fireballs that can actively harm other players. Watch the pugsy reports spiral out of control, and all the ban reports that flood the forums. Even if these effects are non-harmful, they would at least require some sort of lengthy cooldown to avoid spamming and harassing players.

9. Honestly, I would love to see more creative eventlines, especially if they are more D&D themed where the outcome is not entirely determined. However, again, these events would have to be run by completely unbiased staff who aren't out to get specific players / communities, and are more focused on creating a narrative and genuine character development. Killing characters isn't cool. Just traumatise them :)

10. This feels too vaguely explained. I don't like the idea of server religion having this kind of power simply because it could easily take a bad swing in the wrong direction where the lines between RP and OOC are blurred. But I also don't entirely understand how religion could sway the cost of warclaims. Are you trading war equipment for prayers to your Gods? Who is covering these costs? How does Religion grant discounts?

6 hours ago, MaltaMoss said:

CRP raids? are you fr rn? Idk abt you but I was in the Orenian trenches for most of my LOTC career and we had CRP raids, they sucked. They were horrible 4 hour long slugfests. I would much rather get absolutely butchered in my own city by some 15 year old b-hopping spastic than deal with another CRP 20v20 in my lifetime. And that's on P-Lo

hey dont talk about me like that