A Final Message [PK]

HIGH_FIRE

A Final Message

The Last Will and Testament of Ledicort Vuiller

_QxurZBF1ORmvDmMllpbzWewEv3HOAe2TGOGpk-k-Va3dAcqDE3L7Ro3zwLlivrpq7GqEL1M02BC-K3qWEfSFvKg_g70oVhUCG7avRIRhGSAC8K0w5d78rBtkSn3fm348XVjTIn1J4_wvcNDlcDKrJM

rc1kNxO6ZStn9iA8_K0KAmTa2ihLUizBwpnQsahCqR9txq4On48vqQPQw1s-JMH0xKuV_US6DPZQ3kr9-pOZl8L182JOX4euVKb_LTCy2-RAVdqywWMR6dcglT0y4G2yxnYqHohSV6ypHn-MmsdAZmE

—-Ledicort Vuiller in Petrine Dress—-

"Ledicort has not only filled the shoes of his father Rev Vuiller, but has gone beyond to forge a legacy of diplomacy and undying service to the people of Balian." - John the Founder on the appointment of Ledicort as Seneschal.

_QxurZBF1ORmvDmMllpbzWewEv3HOAe2TGOGpk-k-Va3dAcqDE3L7Ro3zwLlivrpq7GqEL1M02BC-K3qWEfSFvKg_g70oVhUCG7avRIRhGSAC8K0w5d78rBtkSn3fm348XVjTIn1J4_wvcNDlcDKrJM

Over the course of many decades, I’ve made countless addresses to both the world as a whole and to my Kingdom of Balian, each of them pertaining to a different matter. Whether it be to alert the world of a serious catastrophe, institute needed reforms of government or a simple proclamation over small legal matters, the press of my home and office was always flush with fresh missives. I fear though, that if you are to read this account, this notice will be the last of them.

As you will have already come to realise, I am no longer with you. The end of this letter will dictate the time and circumstance that surrounds my passing, but that is not the reasoning for this missive being posted. This letter has been written for a precise reason - to ensure one last message to the people of Balian. This is not a message of glory, nor defeat, nor change, but a message on the beauty of our defiance. 

We Balianese are a defiant and scrappy lot. We fought for our Emperor on St. Ari’s day and we lost. A century of empire, dead on that day, on our hands. Other people would’ve read the forest for the trees and bent the knee, tucked their tails between their legs, and kept their ripe estates and great mansions in the heartlands. When we were told to give up and submit to a rotten regime, we said piss off, and ran off into the bloody desert instead, half-brave, half-mad.

We fought against nature itself in that inhospitable frontier in the early days, a pack of exiles and settlers squeezing water from stone. We fought off bandits, and more bandits, and so many more bandits while facing the harsh reality of building a new city in a country we did not know. Even once when the damned city was finished, the bandits would come like buzzards, circling over our Atrus, waiting for us to collapse in the desert heat and pick us clean. Let it be known that even in my last will and testament, I’ll spare a beat to say, piss on all the brigands of the world.

These cutthroats always saw us as weak and easy pickings, isolated in the harsh south - the Nashifah Confederacy, the Kingdom of Oren, Acre, Un’Satum and so many more. And they were right, we lost so much of the resources of the old empire, were stuck in a continent we hardly knew to tame, and barely even knew who we were. But, damn it all, we were so bloody pugnacious. 

We didn’t care that we were the prince in rags at the diplomacy table, the underdog, the nation whose past seemed bigger than its future. Every day, we put a pinch more, recognized the treasure trove of history, culture, and people we were defending, and worked towards becoming a better nation. Despite all the naysayers, those little wins added up, and I saw our John Casimir Novellen become John I, King of Balian. 

Since then, we’ve progressed a great deal. We take the challenge of all the enemies that may come for us. Whether they are goblins, political stagnation, or even a damned Undead dragon - we punt them in the nose and cut them down with our paraspadas all the same. Through the reigns of John the Founder, Alexander the Just and now Adrian I, Fate has thrown the book at us, and God willing, I’ve still not yet seen anything break the spirit of the Balianese people.

What I attribute our survival to is not merely perseverance, but outright defiance. Knowing your lot was cursed and low, that your peoples once ruled empires, and now you were forced to clear frontiers on camel’s back from desert beasts and brigands, and laughing it off anyway. Not just laughing it off, but embracing the change, embracing that the old way wasn’t everything. Letting go of misplaced pride and hubris, and forging a new way that is built with intention and respect for what was, and what will be.

Getting all the right influences in, from north, south, and east, was like an alchemist adjusting his brew with the precise proportions.  It was like a mad scientist’s experiment, but one that has now gotten us so far. 

So that is my final message to people of Balian, especially His Majesty Adrian I, Her Royal Highness Johanna and Amiratus Gaius, whatever manner you may face, do not let fear or perception hinder you, be defiant and innovate on as I and your ancestors have. Understand that what gave us this strength is the knowledge of a better tomorrow, the knowledge of our own inner strength.

When Balian embraces the great experiment before it, nothing can stop it. It is the only nation of its day that prides itself on building on the histories of old, and not merely lingering in them. The modern Balianese is proud of their Balthalite heritage and his Petrine heritage, but he or she is still their own person, and a person whose national conscience expands with each day. That is something special, and something rare.

When I look at Balian today, I see a nation that has come such a long way, step by step, to build a new identity, a model identity, after centuries of shame and adversity. There are few countries even in history who truly can leave a cultural legacy that I have seen come to blossom. 

That spirit is something that burns bright, tall, and proud, and will burn away against all the iniquity of the world, so long as that flame is fed. I bid you, my dear countrymen - feed the fires of defiance and innovation, continue to rear this young and novel culture, and let the world not forget the Balianese!

Signed,

Father Ledicort Vuiller, First Amiratus of the Kingdom of Balian

Father Ledicort passed on 12 of Sigismund's End 62 BA of a fatal Heart Attack.

[A series of letters would be sent after Ledicort’s death]

Spoiler

Dear Sia @TheBigBubbles, my beloved, I shall always remember the day you walked into Balian looking for legal advice, for it was the day my life truly changed. Before I met you I had no idea what I was looking for in a partner, but once I had met you it was quite apparent. You are my husband and my everything, I will love you until the eternity of the seven skies ends. Love, Ledicort.

Dear Alf @TheBigBubbles, you and I both know I was not a good father to you, prioritising work as I believe it was for the greater good and would eventually aid you far more than I could ever on my own. I regret that as I’m sure you know. I hope my attempts in my later years to be a better father did not go unheeded but nonetheless, I hope you have a good life and are a better father than I was, I will always be with you. Love, Pater.

Dear Kaira and Max @Weebmaster36@Datweirdguy, both of you are very similar, very adventurous. I wish you luck on your adventures through the world and that you discover many different things. Remember to take care of your step-father, siblings and each other. Love, Pater.

Dear Anningan @Sewer_Rat, you have an extremely fierce nature. I expect you will do amazing things when you are older, but until then I implore you to stop trying to steal any shiny thing you gaze upon. Please remember what you have been taught by me and look after your family in all you do. Love, Pater.

Dear Aputsiak And Meriwa, it is a great shame I never spent much time with you both, you were my last children and I was already getting on in age. I trust that with your father’s guidance and the mix of attributes, you will both make the world a better place as you grow and adapt to it. Love, Pater.

Dear Gaius @WaveLincoln, I always thought of you as an adopted son, despite never saying it truly. You are a fine young man and the staple of everything I believe Balian should be. When I first met you I saw greatness in your person, and you have yet to ever disappoint me since. I do not agree with every decision you have made, but you have never made a wrong decision as Amiratus, I’m very proud of you. My final request is that you look after the rest of my little family, in particular my husband and children Love, Pater.

Dear Eirene @Me_llamo..., our family name and history lies in your hands, a history that is long and arduous. Vuillers have always stood up as loyal and honest people and it is my hope that you will carry on such a tradition. You have done well as Countess, just as your grandmother did, and I’m sure you will continue to do so. 

Dear Hadrian @ErikAzog, now I’m dead I can actually express myself without fear of being killed. You were a rather stupid young boy, made mistakes including a large one that I and your father had to rectify. That said, you have learnt well from your mistakes and I have seen you take the Crown of Balian very well. You and Gaius will do amazing things and already have, it makes me incredibly proud of the nation I saw your grandfather found all those years ago.

Dear Robyn and Juliana @MapleSunflower@SmartScout, you two are one of the last reminders I have of my sister Madeline, something I cherish more than you could ever know. Robyn, you are a very good man and I am extremely impressed by the work you have done with the Magisterium position I formed at the founding of Balian. Remember your family for they will always be there, and I will watch your careers with great interest from the seven skies.

Dear Teodosio @Greener, you are an incredibly pious and strong willed man, a man I saw as a role model for my faithfulness. You have brought piety to our people and humility to myself. To you and Elena I leave the transcripts and notes for the Old Balthalite translations we have done in hopes you can both finish the task.

Dear Elena @Madyyy, I found you to be one of the most intelligent young people I have come across in my years, a rather pleasant break from what I perceived to be an influx of stupidity. To you and Teodosio I leave the transcripts and notes for the Old Balthalite translations we have done in hopes you can both finish the task.

Dear Jarad @JoshBright, I am very disappointed our family never properly resolved our differences, but you know I never had an issue with you. I wish you luck Helious and I’m sure it will become a strong land.

Dear Davli @Datweirdguy, we haven’t spoken in many years, but you were one of my first friends in Balian. I’m sorry we didn’t speak much after you left but I admire the land you had once built for your clan.

Dear Sarson @Cracker, the arrival of yourself that one rather fateful day changed a lot for my people, but also so much more. You became a good friend and you helped me form a Duana and nation that I could truly be proud of. I will be sad not to see you again, but happy to know you will do well for our people even past my death.

Spoiler

Mandatory OOC Portion.

Ledicort has been insane, what started as me wanting to play a priest evolved into somehow being in charge of fledgling nations government and uniting Almaris against cloudbreaker, only to eventually return to being a priest.

Tons of thank yous are to be had but I will only list a few for brevity

@Haraldand @PrettyCuteAnnafor the character in the first place

@Imperiumand harald for believing in me when it came to government rp and making me both Amriatus and Magister

@Shmeepicusfor being a damn good king to work by and a good friend

@TheBigBubblesFor being a wonderful husband to Ledicort and providing a lot of good rp

@Crackerfor not only helping with the post but an insane amount of development with balian

If you haven't been thanked- yes you have I'm just tired and it's midnight

The young Ruthern stared as Ledicort's final breath escaped his now lifeless body. "May vy find peace in the Seven Skies." Following his muttered words, he'd sign the lorraine over his chest.

Gaius was there. For every ups and downs his mentor had faced, he was there by his side. Thus, it was to no surprise that he would be there at the ex-Amiratus's deathbed. The letter he received by a courier after Ledicort's death made the now middle aged Ruthern ever the more fond of his mentor. 

"Y too saw you as a father figure...spasibo, Pater, for treating Y like your own son..." 

A shaky sigh escaped his lips as he entered his manor, wanting some peace and quiet for the night, for he knew he will have to return to administrating the nation by the next day. 

"Sleep is such a foreign concept to the both of us...isn't it Monsieur Ledicort?" He murmured as he looked up towards the ceiling with a small smile. 

Albéric sighed as he heard the news of the Vuiller's passing, murmuring a prayer within the chapel that evening.
"Farewell, Father Ledicort. May you find deserved respite within the Seven Skies."

Sir Rev Vuiller would have massive grin on his face as he ran towards his son with open arms quite quickly starting to shout "LEDICORT! MY LITTLE LEDICORT! VY HAVE MADE ME SO PROUD BOY!" he'd go to pick up his son giving him a spin in the air!

As Ledicort finally passed on, the old priest would stay seated on the floor next to his brother. A faint tear leaving his eye as he kept his arms crossed. simply sitting there in the silence. "Soon brother, we shall sone be next to one another again." after he spoke the silence befell the room once more, Drasus not leaving Ledicorts side even once in the coming days as his body would be prepared for its rest.

I'm not crying.. you are...

The elfess lets out a long sigh as she hears the news, signing the lorraine. "Ea will see vy again some day, Ledicort." 

"Very few people in history have done so much for Balian as its first Amiratus, Ledicort Vuiller. May he rest in peace as he ascends to the Seven Skies after a long life of hard work and loyal service to the Kingdom of Balian and the Holy Mother Church." said Lucien d'Azor upon hearing the tragic news.

An old man, finally having hit one hundred, relaxed by the seas near Balian, sipping on an aged bottle of Vuiller Red Wine. He took in a slow breath, speaking to himself, "My my, how our conversation vent. It seems I vas right, ve vill likely niet ever speak again, vy younger brozer. Do niet vait for ve in ze afterlife." And so, that aging man lifted the bottle up in the air as a form a cheers before returning to sipping on it. The second to last Vuiller of a generation, albeit a forgotten one.

Sialuk Aavik, or Esteri Adrienne Sarkozic, now Vuiller had been by his husband's side when he had died. It hadn't all quite sunk in for them just yet, but the grief was certainly building to an intolerable amount. Eight children in total? Of course, not all of them were young anymore, but enough were. The half-dwed had wrestled for years with the idea that love simply wasn't theirs to have, pressured once into a marriage they did not want to pursue, and then respite, a true, deep love that they still did not feel worthy of.  Sialuk found themselves making the argument that it was simply unethical to marry a longer-lived partner of their same race, a dwedic man or woman... It was certainly the argument they'd used when their mother slung abuses at them for daring to marry a none forest-dwed, a white man. Though, now the weight of that decision really set in, this was the first time they'd properly witnessed mortality, and it shook him to his core. His husband was really gone.

The eldest son of Ledicort Vuiller, Alf Damianus Vuiller had attended mass when his father suddenly collapsed. Alf was fully aware that it was coming, but not that soon. With marriage plans underway and a wonderful fiance in Numendil he'd grown distant from his home country, his nation. And with it, his father. There was no particular pang in the man's heart, Alf retained much of his vitality and much of his resent. The letter he'd receive not long after the passing of his father could do little to mend a childhood of absence. Unreliant on his father for much of his life, now would not be so different. Alf only hoped that Ledicort would be comfortable, wherever it was that his soul had gone. Finally and ultimately, Alf prayed for his family in their time of grief.

Meriwa would probably never know her father from anything more than the note he'd left at his death bed. The young girl had very little understanding of what her father who brought her into this world had gone through, and certainly was in no position to help. What Meriwa did keenly understand was her father's coldness, but not it's origins. It would be a lonely childhood without both of her fathers.

3 hours ago, HIGH_FIRE said:

Dear Jarad @JoshBright, I am very disappointed our family never properly resolved our differences, but you know I never had an issue with you. I wish you luck Helious and I’m sure it will become a strong land.

Jarad would receive the latter and regret being unable to inform Ledicourt about the patching of munnel-vuller relations with the new countess

Cardinal Teodosio was out visiting Aaun when he heard the news. He struggled to find quick safe transport back to Balian. When he returned it was all too late. For a man who is always quite resolved he broke down in tears upon returning to the city. He walked to the Church and sat in there for hours praying for his dear departed friend. "You're with GOD now my dear friend. Up in the Seven Skies."

“Eh? UNCLE?! Oi…this is just as bad as Johanne. Aye she’s also here, we are the last recognizable Vuillers. Sad ain’t it, an end of an era. Come share a drink with me.” Said the Ruff Vuiller man 

"Ledicort? Where is Ledicort?" An aged woman of strawberry blonde locks, now turned silver with age asked near daily. "He always took time to have some cocoa with me"

"Lady Rosemary, Lord Ledicort is having cocoa with your Pa, remember?" always came the reply of the lady's personal maid. The reminder a gentle one, sincere in its pitying tone 

Pushing up her spectacles, Rosemary looked out the window with a sigh, "Ah yes. Well won't you have cocoa with me then Magda? Its ever so lonely to drink by myself."
"My lady, I shall have tea whilst you drink your hot cocoa. The temperature is arid in these lands, unsuitable for most to drink a hot beverage. But I shall sit with you nonetheless"

Laurelie de Pelear had a few tears roll down her face as she read her late cousin's letter. "May Goden keep you now and always. With in time I'll see you again soon."