what do you think of the current Cloud Temple soulstone system?

frankdh

On 7/1/2023 at 3:05 PM, MeteorDragon said:

It would be better if you had the SS to CT and then you could just click a button or click a warp sign at the different pillars to warp you to the correct hub

+1

The amount of times I've overriden the wrong slot makes my head hurt..

4 hours ago, marimbamonk said:

I'm not a fan of portals/warps at the Cloud Temple in any way. I prefer a Cloud Temple that is physically stationed in the world with roads leading out from it, like our earliest maps. This new warp / SS system is confusing

Absolutely disagree. CT should not be a physical presence on the map. It allows for a more grounded world rather than one where a nation can get absolutely screwed because CT is between it and the rest of the world. It being off map allows for it to remain in a more disconnected realm and the actual RP happen in the real game world (Monk Lore is terrible no offense monks are good guys).

9 hours ago, Qaz_The_Great said:

Absolutely disagree. CT should not be a physical presence on the map. It allows for a more grounded world rather than one where a nation can get absolutely screwed because CT is between it and the rest of the world. It being off map allows for it to remain in a more disconnected realm and the actual RP happen in the real game world (Monk Lore is terrible no offense monks are good guys).

I think this attitude is entirely understandable given the circumstances that nation-leaders/'rp-community-providers' are in, but also hinges entirely on the nation-centric 'competing for activity points players are numbers not people stats stats data data efficiency' metric we've been going by - something which i genuinely do think is the crux of lotc's issues today (perpetuated by a way-too-big map, but i digress); i think the idea of a physical cloud temple that actually exists is both fun and rp-positive; i remember, as a new player mid-atlas, people interacting with me in cloud temple and teaching me to rp, getting me invested and showing me all the places ! a much better way than getting funnelled to a place oocly and staying there for the rest of my lotc life to exist as arbitrary pixel player activity counter #185 !

from a place of wanting to promote a more rp-heavy culture (drapings and introductions influence how players respond and act; if the server mechanically promotes an rp-first culture it will cultivate an rp-first culture), i liked having a cloud temple that you could walk to and from, as a physical place! use it to promote actually engaging and fun rp!

unsure what the CT is up to these days, but i'd love to see someone revisit my project plan of working with ST to set up a bounty-board-esque system at CT, and a way to provide new players with fun rp events to get them into the server where possible! (just little things to start them off with that whimsical feeling we were all looking for when we joined, and some of us were lucky enough to get from friendly players :] if we're still looking to boost that initial retention rate [the most important part of retention i think we've seen is first impression, if a player gets through the first week or two, or even the first day, they are much more likely to stick around] i think it would be a real good start!)

i think an attitude of lotc where we treat it as 'how can we best 'balance' this grand-strategy-world-conqueror-simulator' is flawed and cuts us off from having more interesting and enjoyable rp, and drains the life out of people trying to keep their communities together and provide some fun rp as they r forced to treat it as such.

but yeah tldr i think CT should be considered part of RP and an actual fun, engaging RP starting point rather than a hypixel minigames hub 👍

Hello Frank.

The current system is an improvement on the hub system of Almaris, but both would be surpassed by a simple direct teleport from the CT to realms/settlements/nations. 

Thanks 

Give us an extra slot since we cant remove ct

as long as it's not axios' caravan/boat hell I do not mind

I enjoy the new system though my one comment is it may have issues when PVP returns

Some cities have been shafted in being too far or in some cases too close to pillars, i.e. it could take 10 minutes to get your raid crew from a pillar to Nor'asath, whereas raiding Adria it's only like a 2 minute run, one nation gets a lot more prep time compared to the other, or for the attacker they don't have any element of surprise and the opposing force can meta rally quickly

CT not taking up a tile is good.

Multiple Soulstone slots is jank.
Binding over and over again is jank

Why not have each persona be able to bind to (ONE) place (Their realm affiliated location) and then actually travel on those fancy newfangled road thingies to wherever they need to go IRPly?

Seems weird that void translo is all of 60 blocks when in a little over 10 seconds Bob the Dirt Farmer, illiterate and penniless, can use their soul to travel across the continent.

Would this be "inconvenient?" Yes, HOWEVER it would make travelling and the idea of having a home for your character where they are safe much more impactful. The dangers of Bandits and Darkspawn wandering the open wilds would be meaningful as opposed to the blue moon occasion where you have already tele'd twice and need to wait for your SS to regen. Travelling trade caravans, patrols, armies, and tiles themselves would all become more important and viable sources of roleplay as a consequence.

I already posted this in staff chat a month ago and I was told it was intentionally made obtuse :( 

ijMgzK5.png

1 minute ago, Panashea said:

-snip-

This is truly unfortunate. If we want it to be obtuse at least let the obtuseness generate good RP XD

7 hours ago, JustMeMorgan said:

as long as it's not axios' caravan/boat hell I do not mind

I enjoy the new system though my one comment is it may have issues when PVP returns

Some cities have been shafted in being too far or in some cases too close to pillars, i.e. it could take 10 minutes to get your raid crew from a pillar to Nor'asath, whereas raiding Adria it's only like a 2 minute run, one nation gets a lot more prep time compared to the other, or for the attacker they don't have any element of surprise and the opposing force can meta rally quickly

IMO raiding or warclaiming forces should not use SS to travel to their target, but that's just me...'

To be honest, while I do not take much issue with the current system, I preferred when whe had warps that functioned like the boat/carts that teleport you with a countdown.

Not only are those immersive and aesthetically pleasing they are easy to use and understand for new players.

Perhaps having boats/carts that lead to the designated places from CT to the main places might be the best solution.

8 minutes ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

They did...

1 more