An Open Dialogue on One Specific Slur

Benleft

9 hours ago, Nooblius said:

As a proud Roleplay and Real life racist,

bwuh?

[ An aged man, face so embossed by wrinkles and the patina of time that you can only discern that the grim reaper has forgotten about him, holds a tome before you. His robe hangs limp at his wrists, threadbare and loose — possibly older than the man himself.]

[ After blowing the layer of dust from the tome's leather jacket, you look upon its gilt title. ]

"The Big Bad Book of Slurs"

[ Durst you open the book of every slur you are not allowed to say on Lord of the Craft? ]

> [ Yes. Burden yourself with the knowledge of the forbidden and let the Gods judge you for it. ]

Spoiler

image.png

> [ No. This is enlightenment rightfully forbidden by the divine.]

Spoiler

The book disappears in a puff of gravedust.

Edited by esterhase

8 hours ago, Laeonathan said:

Any racism that refers to skin-color should be banned.

Exclude orcs from this. Raguks need to be denigrated for their redness.

Spoiler

Actual feedback tho, it's not going to be codified into the rules as to what slurs are or aren't acceptable in roleplay so good luck enforcing the ruling in 6 months. You'll just be handing out warnings and people will make up newer rp slurs to start using. I think people will make the slurs edgy-funny and you'll create a bigger problem than you currently have.

8 hours ago, christman said:

just make up (OR STEAL) fantasy slurs why use real life ones its just that easy ??  

Humans

Hide contents

cattle, pig skin/pink skin, round ears/round teeth, smoothskin, world blight

Dwarves

Hide contents

dirt licker, gutter rat, oremonger, rock eater/biter, stunt, tunnel rat

Elves

Hide contents

dagger head, rabbit, butterboy, dew drinker/daisy sniffer, murker

Orcs

Hide contents

Slimeskin, pig face, grunt, tusk-face, lumberfoot, savage

(credit to https://nubbl.com/dnd/slurs )

These suck.

I can also not wait to get reported for calling a starbreaker friend of mine a "Stuped block o' coal!"

If its a slur irl, it shouldn't be used irply. Simple as. 

If a "fantasy" slur has OOC relevance or meaning it should not be used. Simple as. We have a literal universe of opportunity where make believe insults are concerned, so there is no reasonable excuse for RP characters to "by happenstance" utter phrases of IRL animosity and hatred. Be inventive and silly in coming up with something that can't be misconstrued with historical discrimination please.

8 hours ago, NightcastorKitty said:

Allowing racism on the server in roleplay is allowing anyone to point at the differences of other races and/or subraces to create the negative responses upon. To remove this completely is to remove the concept of racism. Otherwise this discussion is arguably mute as it enables slips anywhere of minor intent to full on extremes. 

So unless you want to create a list of do's and don'ts, it's rather hard to debate about. Especially given the term 'darkie' has been used in relation towards dark elves in roleplay for literal years on this server. Does it make it okay? No, but it's rather a minefield for people just playing characters unaware that suddenly its not allowed. 

I'm in agreement with this statement.

I'll say that I have a background of working with people of all races and backgrounds and that while I have never heard the word "darkie" or some of my African American IRL friends have listened to the word, I'm not one to judge others' experience. I think it's a very slippery slope, however, as @NightcastorKitty explained, to start banning certain words that aren't the obvious ones. You may have heard this slur in your life though I can promise not everyone has. I think a perfect example is that @christman has given some examples of slurs that he thought would be better, and I've unironically heard some of those being used as insults in real life. Do I think they should be removed? No, cause as long as the person using the slurs in a roleplay environment doesn't use them maliciously to hurt the person behind the screen, then I see it as you roleplaying your character's actions and not your own. The ruling of the law should state that as long as someone isn't racist towards the person running the persona(Calling someone one of these slurs in LOOC/OOC chat is an example), it should be allowed.

Problems I see arising in the future are that we ban certain words for being too far and allow others. This same problem will arise with these new words, and so on. Now if we as a server believe we are at a point where we don't think racism roleplay should play a part in it, then it should go to a vote. This isn't an argument for all or nothing, though it's a terrible idea to start banning select words.

8 hours ago, __WaterFox__ said:

Imagine the minefield that is existing as a minority when you can't even escape racist terms in mineman of all places.

See this a lot, though LOTC is more than just mineman. While I agree it's minecraft that we're playing, this isn't just a mini-game akin to Hypixel. LOTC is a narrative storyline being written by every player that joins. We, as players, write and roleplay out politics, wars, death, and birth. These are and can be some very gruesome subjects from time to time. I don't believe that anybody on LOTC should be exposed to or be attacked by bigots or racists for who they're. It's wrong, and it's horrible when it happens. Though you can't expect to roleplay on LOTC and not come across one of the darker/intense/conflict-driven scenarios from time to time.

Not trying to drive people off who don't want to see the kind of thing, though if LOTC is trying to portray a medieval scene in the slightest, then conflict will always be there in many forms. I'm not fighting to keep racism; I'm fighting to keep us from going down a path of banning stories, events, and entire paths that LOTC could follow if we got rid of these conflicts that are darker in nature.

rp should stay rp, as long as they arent pressing the racism to ooc, its just rp

If we ban Darkie then we also gotta ban Spook because Spook is an actual slur used IRL too 

this is crazy. First off all people shouldn't be getting offended irl due to things that happen to their persona in RP. The simplest way to put this situation is people are getting offended at realistic medieval style rp that was a completely normal reaction from both personas , one being me. As for the people saying that this is wrong due to it being a real racist insult , not only are they not common from my personal experience. People are just getting all high and mighty and trying to be moral and correct whilst forgetting to rp properly and realistically. If these terms are banned then so should every insult on LOTC that is directed towards anything besides a persons personality traits as that cant be controlled. May as well since it seems people care more about being nice and kind that having accurate and realistic RP.

Anyone who disagrees can ask me to explain my points of why it was good rp.

Edited by terms

11 minutes ago, Cobbler said:

See this a lot, though LOTC is more than just mineman. While I agree it's minecraft that we're playing, this isn't just a mini-game akin to Hypixel. LOTC is a narrative storyline being written by every player that joins. We, as players, write and roleplay out politics, wars, death, and birth. These are and can be some very gruesome subjects from time to time. I don't believe that anybody on LOTC should be exposed to or be attacked by bigots or racists for who they're. It's wrong, and it's horrible when it happens. Though you can't expect to roleplay on LOTC and not come across one of the darker/intense/conflict-driven scenarios from time to time.

Not trying to drive people off who don't want to see the kind of thing, though if LOTC is trying to portray a medieval scene in the slightest, then conflict will always be there in many forms. I'm not fighting to keep racism; I'm fighting to keep us from going down a path of banning stories, events, and entire paths that LOTC could follow if we got rid of these conflicts that are darker in nature.

You might want to rethink your point of view. This isn't a problem of tough to swallow content this a problem of lotc's history with racism. The people from that time knew what they were doing calling dark elves an IRL slur and they knew what they were doing specifically targeting dark elves. It was never about the fantasy racism.

This entire discussion is so stupid. Itdontmatta's response to the report is spot on. They are appropriate phrases to use in roleplay when done in taste. Goalpost will just keep moving otherwise. Call someone a worm and next thing you know that was an insult to a native tribe in the 1800s and isn't allowed.

If it's really so bad that the community can't handle that then may as well put strict rules on insults. Only allow insults on features that can change, like hair color/style.