Bring back the auction house

SimplySeo

On 10/31/2023 at 6:39 PM, SimplySeo said:

They promised more merchant roleplayers, there are none. Where are they? Please bring back the auction house. It was fun.

poll

I've done vagabond merchant RP myself cause my shop ain't selling enough and it sucked every time

Empty cities, closed gates from raids

couple bandits here and there,

Or people just don't care,

It's just not worth it..

On 10/31/2023 at 6:47 PM, Traveller said:

Boon & Bane, illustrious, world-famous mercantile entrepreneurs with multiple locations both collectively say: "What the ****?"

Hide contents

as a merchant rper along with @Myochiiit is infinitely more fun without auction house which just encourages more of the growing grind problem lotc already has

why the fk could you sell magical artefacts on auction house with 0 rp

i'd be more open to it returning if it was food/building blocks only but no

as an actual merchant rper, do not bring it back

What if they barred anything with an St signature? 

8 hours ago, EmiliainWonderland said:

I miss the auction house. Now I have to find empty stalls to sell stuff only a few people will ever see. . .

And finding people selling stuff I actually want is so rare, please oh wise LOTCers lead me to the shops that sell girly stuff for my very girlified personas.

I felt this in my soul. The death of the auction house more or less damaged the shop availability economy because now a lot of people focus on selling raw materials over those materials being on the Auction House. As per my own experiences, we struggled pretty bad to get an open shop in Haense to sell stuff in Almaris after I came back from my hiatus. When we did get a shop, it was down a side street that nobody really went to on a regular basis. 

(However may I suggest Silver Star Trading Company, in Numendil, for all your girlie pop needs? We got plushies, sewing kits, tea pots, all sorts)

On 11/1/2023 at 12:57 PM, _RoyalCrafter_ said:

And AH is not a spoon-fed staff solution, it's a plugin for player enjoyment. That is the top priority for the server.

AH plugin was removed bc it interfered with player enjoyment so idk what this means. As I said, an auction house exists! You can go sell and buy stuff right now, its just not organized by staff and pushes interactions. dont like it? you can organize your own. if buying and selling items on a screen alone is how you get your enjoyment, maybe a multiplayer rp server isnt the best idea. its like playing a shooter and asking the devs to make the other team stay still so you can shoot them easier.

On 11/1/2023 at 12:57 PM, _RoyalCrafter_ said:

The server is also a game, sometimes quality of life mechanics needs to prioritised. Should soulstones be removed for the "rp challenge?".

the "its a game" reasoning still doesnt explain why a global AH is needed. skyrim doesnt have an amazon delivery service because talking to merchants is too much work. that would take away from the game. what it DOES have is a fast travel system. soulstones make interacting with other players more accessible for a multiplayer roleplay game, thats what lotc is. AH doesn't, its a way to avoid playing the game.

regional auction houses with basic mats would be a good middle ground, i dont think it takes away from rp and makes trading more accessible. wdyt?

6 minutes ago, Bonito said:

AH plugin was removed bc it interfered with player enjoyment so idk what this means.

the "its a game" reasoning still doesnt explain why a global AH is needed.

regional auction houses with basic mats would be a good middle ground, i dont think it takes away from rp and makes trading more accessible. wdyt?

I've explained in my first comment why I think an auction house will contribute to more player enjoyment in bullet point format. The fact this thread exists, and people wanting it to be brought back, should show that people enjoyed it. I've done merchant RP, I did not enjoy it, but I enjoyed other forms of RP; Saying "if you dont like this type of roleplay, maybe reconsider playing on a roleplay server" is reductive, considering I very much enjoy my time here, and I'm simply leaving feedback on a post on an aspect for the server i think could be an improvement for everyone.

I am not advocating for a return to AH, because I hate merchant roleplay and think it should not exist. I advocate for it, because i believe both things can exist in the same space without harming each other, giving players with different playstyles means to make money, thus increasing overall enjoyability of the server. Merchant guilds and characters existed with AH. If there was substantial evidence that showed that AH killed merchant RP, I'd not advocate for the plugin's return because that would be selfish.

Either regional auction houses, or a global auction house with mundane materials would be a good comprise for everyone. I understand that selling things like voidal enchantments, minmaxed CRP items, or etc could have a negative effect on the server and wouldn't make much sense RP wise. Selling basic materials like leather, iron, maybe some player items like books would lessen the material shop spam many in this thread have complained about.

I personally feel that it'd be beneficial if we had one hub where an auction house was placed. Global auction houses don't make much sense to me, but rather I think you should journey to one specific location and barter amongst the other people there that are putting their items up for auction. I'd think PVP would be turned off in the region so well as villainy so that it can be a safe haven and not some bandit swarming spot, y'know?

I've been trying to do Merchant RP for the past three days to sell my wares. To be honest I find that for every person willing or interesting in looking at my wares I get three people who I'm just interrupting their roleplay. And that kind of sucks.

On 11/1/2023 at 12:17 AM, SlitheryC1 said:

Ngl, that'd be pretty great
the best of both worlds would be present
convenience for the customers and merchant RP/proper competition for the sellers

THE SMELL OF COOKING SHRIMP.

THE SMELL OF BURNT SHRIMP.

THE SCREAMING OF SELLERS SELLING RUNE G TRIM.

THE SCREAMING OF GOLD DOUBLERS (NO SCAM).

*FLICK FLICK SHHH* THE SOUND OF TIMBER CATCHING FIRE AS SOME PLEB RUNS BEHIND THE TRAIL TO SELL THE ASHES.

RANDOM NPC ENCOUNTER. GENIE SHOWS UP.

BEHOLD, THE GRAND EXCHANGE.

WTB GF 1K GP P/DAY

WTS GUTHIX G TRIM

SHAKE RAINBOW TEXT DOUBLING MONEY NO SCAM

BONDS FOR SALE! CHEAPER THAN GE!

ALL IS FOR SALE AT THE GRAND EXCHANGE.

ALL IS TO BE BOUGHT AT THE GRAND EXCHANGE.

THERE IS NOTHING BUT THE GRAND EXHANGE.

THE MONKS ARE RUNNING THE AUCTION HOUSES AND BRING US BACK TO KEEP THEIR STEADY INCOME FLOWING 

5 hours ago, Lord_of_losers said:

THE SMELL OF COOKING SHRIMP.

THE SMELL OF BURNT SHRIMP.

THE SCREAMING OF SELLERS SELLING RUNE G TRIM.

THE SCREAMING OF GOLD DOUBLERS (NO SCAM).

*FLICK FLICK SHHH* THE SOUND OF TIMBER CATCHING FIRE AS SOME PLEB RUNS BEHIND THE TRAIL TO SELL THE ASHES.

RANDOM NPC ENCOUNTER. GENIE SHOWS UP.

BEHOLD, THE GRAND EXCHANGE.

WTB GF 1K GP P/DAY

WTS GUTHIX G TRIM

SHAKE RAINBOW TEXT DOUBLING MONEY NO SCAM

BONDS FOR SALE! CHEAPER THAN GE!

ALL IS FOR SALE AT THE GRAND EXCHANGE.

ALL IS TO BE BOUGHT AT THE GRAND EXCHANGE.

THERE IS NOTHING BUT THE GRAND EXHANGE.

WE DONT XP WASTE IN THIS *****. 

c2f (1).jpg

14 hours ago, SethWolf said:

WE DONT XP WASTE IN THIS *****. 

c2f (1).jpg

dy4wguRSgSdkgvRbxrDgdJrYlcfBBIBZiwvdH2n5ZbFsFhudMGTwXwlQmDzKIJMZ-8MlODaMGqaRrY_95xKXp5yRy7G7lsP0859e9FXjdStIw8MW4S2KAaoypuPwG7ZI2LEEotkj-L5YOV7hiegCLyQ