[Event Creature] The Bryophites

Can we call our next map Gildorym?

I'm sorry, but I can't get behind this.  I'm pleased you put this much work into something like this but I don't think it fits in the overall mythos of LotC.  As I always say we try and overcomplicate things by adding all this new lore rather than increasing or embelishing what we already have.

As someone who is an "authority" on this territory of lore (aka I stamp my feet and shake my fist till I'm sated) I don't think it goes well with what we've already established.  Keep writing though! :)

Can we please not

The lore is alright, the idea is fine, I just really don't think we need another minority species drawing RP away from what we already have.

Darn, everything I would have said's been said.

I played one and I talked a mod into switching me back to a regular human because it was so awful. You are looked to as a minority as Jallentime here said. We don't need all of these minority groups running around. Its good to have SOME diversity but at this point we just have a bunch of 5-10 player races then the main Human, Elf, Orc, Dwarf.

I know it is stated a theory, but I would advise using a different name other than 'ent childern' for it would cause confusion.

To note to everyone posting. It doesn't matter if you think it shouldn't be a thing since it is and people already have their characters.

To focus on the lore I would change the name (ents children part), nix any involvement to Druidism, nix the personality section, and nix the aversion to enchanting. Specifically for the last one it just didn't make sense to me. Either allow all magic or allow none. You don't need to be a genius to learn enchanting on LOTC.

EDIT;

Then, you as an RPer, have to evaluate the purpose of this lore and where it fits in. Personally I believe it is an event faction and should be treated as such. Those in the faction should be creating event lines for other RPers on the server and collecting feedback. What did they like? Did something seem OP? Was any of the RP hard to understand? ETC... 

I like these small factions because players in them usually are more eager to create RP rather than just wait for RP to come to them, which is a big problem the community has in general. It's this reason that I support these little branches of players. However with that I do think those who play byrophites have an obligation to provide quality RP. The last thing a new creature faction needs are RPers who aren't taking what they are doing seriously. If you are engaging in this then do your best to make it worth it for everyone else, not just yourself.

Sorry for the long-winded update. I was on my phone earlier and in class! haha. :) Good luck!

If you feel obligated to critique my own lore I will shamelessly plug in a link right ~ Here ~

There is always a chance to repent, BNK....

There is always a chance to repent, BNK....

If RPed correctly I think that byrophites can really be a beautiful thing. Though the proper setting/build and writers to bring the RP to life is needed. I have yet to interact with a byrophite so my opinion is simply based on the idea and the lore-thread itself.

Well, in that respect,

"Bryophite" is a name that goes down with fantasy lore like Orange Juice goes down with tasty tasty toothpaste. Not to mention that "Bryophyte" is a traditional classification of plant structures or varieties or something. 

Perhaps "Moss Children" or something more magical could be a fix? 

I would also work on making the "Bryophites" work better with LoTC's theme and lore.

Can we please not

Reply #1: Comments like this make me and more disgusted with LOTC. Please refrain from commenting on anymore of my threads.

I don't like the name of "Ent's children". That's something...weird, since Ents are something whole different. All in all, they were there before and it's a neat read.

Reply #2: The Name Ent's Children is just something some random bloke came up with as far as "history" goes, it's not supposed to make actual sense. People make up names like that all the time.

While this is a large improvement over the original lore, I just don't think its something the server needs. The moss thing is still just freaking weird. If the moss completely replaced them, they would have none of the original memories or habits. I don't see how this moss could replicate the intricate synapses and nerves off the brain well enough to copy it. No thanks.

reply #3: "Magic"

These are literally monsters, not people.

Please see reply #1

Lol no

Please see reply #1

The lore is alright, the idea is fine, I just really don't think we need another minority species drawing RP away from what we already have.

Reply #4: It's already official lore, this is a re-write

Please see Reply #1

Can we call our next map Gildorym?

Please see Reply #1

I'm sorry, but I can't get behind this.  I'm pleased you put this much work into something like this but I don't think it fits in the overall mythos of LotC.  As I always say we try and overcomplicate things by adding all this new lore rather than increasing or embelishing what we already have.

As someone who is an "authority" on this territory of lore (aka I stamp my feet and shake my fist till I'm sated) I don't think it goes well with what we've already established.  Keep writing though! :)

Please see Reply #4

Darn, everything I would have said's been said.

Please see reply #1

I know it is stated a theory, but I would advise using a different name other than 'ent childern' for it would cause confusion.

Please see Reply #2

Well, in that respect,

"Bryophite" is a name that goes down with fantasy lore like Orange Juice goes down with tasty tasty toothpaste. Not to mention that "Bryophyte" is a traditional classification of plant structures or varieties or something. 

Perhaps "Moss Children" or something more magical could be a fix? 

I would also work on making the "Bryophites" work better with LoTC's theme and lore.

Please see reply #1 due to your previous comments that were insulting.

Anyone else want to post something rude and unnecessary or can we try to be reasonable people and /actually/ just have something better than dirt to spit out of our mouths? [This only applies to ones who were referred to Reply #1, anyone not mentioned might be later in a THANK YOU post for having opinions that matter]

While I agree byrophites and other such lore shouldn't be accepted, we already have this particular one LotC. This is just a re-write I believe, since the last lore was **** and had players who RP'd it poorly.

As for Sybbyl, please enlarge the text saying that you /need/ to post here before you start playing a byrophite.

That can be done, thank you for actually helping make an improvement. +1

First of all, I'm one of those people who just do not like any kind of playable creatures and anything along those lines at all, so my next words might be a bit blunt.

Bryophites in character have become an absolute joke, I have not seen you personally roleplay so I can't gauge the quality of the RP that you personally offer. However, I personally have seen a fair amount of Bryophites playing their characters, and it's almost embarrasing to watch, to be quite honest. Most of them I've seen have two extremes; just behaving like a regular person, just with some super quirky grass on them, or never stopping mentioning how they are made out of plants and how horrible their life is, there's no middle ground. And that's not mentioning that the RP quality is generally just bad, but that's more a people problem than a problem with the lore.

Occasional event characters? Eh, sure, whatever. But I personally don't want them being things that any shmuck can play.

I personally agree, I would like nothing more than to perma-kill all the current bryophytes and make it an application race only, but unfortunately I just don't have the time to manage that, so I am doing what I can to help the community have a little more knowledge on the race itself, in the hopes it will improve the RP. +1 for at least having somewhat of a nice opinion

If the lore's already on the server, and this is an improvement, then let is persist and be improved upon. This way, it seems like we'll be able to be rid of the shitty bryophytes and perhaps give folks who are better have a shot.

That being said, I wish the name wasn't something that had a strict meaning in the real world, although I suppose this is perhaps just confusing to me because I'm in a plant biology class.

The name Bryophyte is something that will eventually be annhilated altogether, however completely removing it all at once would confuse the current player base that has bryophyte characters. Eventually, something better than Ent's Children will be made as well, but for now it will suffice, until I can go a little more in depth with it. But thank you, very much, for your comment. +1

I played one and I talked a mod into switching me back to a regular human because it was so awful. You are looked to as a minority as Jallentime here said. We don't need all of these minority groups running around. Its good to have SOME diversity but at this point we just have a bunch of 5-10 player races then the main Human, Elf, Orc, Dwarf.

Thank you for your opinion +1

To note to everyone posting. It doesn't matter if you think it shouldn't be a thing since it is and people already have their characters.

To focus on the lore I would change the name (ents children part), nix any involvement to Druidism, nix the personality section, and nix the aversion to enchanting. Specifically for the last one it just didn't make sense to me. Either allow all magic or allow none. You don't need to be a genius to learn enchanting on LOTC.

EDIT;

Then, you as an RPer, have to evaluate the purpose of this lore and where it fits in. Personally I believe it is an event faction and should be treated as such. Those in the faction should be creating event lines for other RPers on the server and collecting feedback. What did they like? Did something seem OP? Was any of the RP hard to understand? ETC... 

I like these small factions because players in them usually are more eager to create RP rather than just wait for RP to come to them, which is a big problem the community has in general. It's this reason that I support these little branches of players. However with that I do think those who play byrophites have an obligation to provide quality RP. The last thing a new creature faction needs are RPers who aren't taking what they are doing seriously. If you are engaging in this then do your best to make it worth it for everyone else, not just yourself.

Sorry for the long-winded update. I was on my phone earlier and in class! haha. :) Good luck!

If you feel obligated to critique my own lore I will shamelessly plug in a link right ~ Here ~

The several sections you mentioned that should be removed, unfortunately those needed to be included because of the current people playing bryophytes going crazy out of the gates of hell with their characters. However I will take a few things you have mentioned to heart, and hopefully it will help me improve. Thank you. +1

As long as they aren't all about but still accessible I don't see why not still. It's certainly quite well written. 

PS:

Change it to construct/state of being rather than race, this shouldn't be a race tbh. 

Honestly "Magic" is not an excuse. I find the notion that magic is the end all be all and doesn't have to make sense ridiculous. That's just me. Proper magic should have good lore, it should make sense, and be something that lots of people enjoy. The negative response to this might be an indication that it is either unwanted, or needs work. Also tbh you could just not respond to people of you believe they're making "disgusting comments", which I didn't see. Telling them to not comment on your posts is just like trying to silence what seems like an opinion that is against your lore. IMO

Honestly "Magic" is not an excuse. I find the notion that magic is the end all be all and doesn't have to make sense ridiculous. That's just me. Proper magic should have good lore, it should make sense, and be something that lots of people enjoy. The negative response to this might be an indication that it is either unwanted, or needs work. Also tbh you could just not respond to people of you believe they're making "disgusting comments", which I didn't see. Telling them to not comment on your posts is just like trying to silence what seems like an opinion that is against your lore. IMO

That's silly. Proper magic should be mysterious, that's part of the reason why folks didn't like the old system of magic where you had to be a scholar of science to do anything with magic. The idea that you need some complex explanation for all magic makes it boring and removes any air of "magicalness" from the magic.

Also, we have golems that have no real explanation for their intelligence in the context of the criticism you supplied previously, yet they can be smart and act normally cuz magic. It's a precedent we've set, and I don't think anybody would argue that that's a problematic fault in golem lore that makes it bad, so applying it here is silly.

Regardless of my opinion, please refrain from comments that simply say something along the lines of "please no," or responses asking players to not post on this thread. Just be considerate of the time put into this thread, as well as opinions in opposition to your own, and we can have a cool discussion. Thanks folks.

That's silly. Proper magic should be mysterious, that's part of the reason why folks didn't like the old system of magic where you had to be a scholar of science to do anything with magic. The idea that you need some complex explanation for all magic makes it boring and removes any air of "magicalness" from the magic.

Also, we have golems that have no real explanation for their intelligence in the context of the criticism you supplied previously, yet they can be smart and act normally cuz magic. It's a precedent we've set, and I don't think anybody would argue that that's a problematic fault in golem lore that makes it bad, so applying it here is silly.

Regardless of my opinion, please refrain from comments that simply say something along the lines of "please no," or responses asking players to not post on this thread. Just be considerate of the time put into this thread, as well as opinions in opposition to your own, and we can have a cool discussion. Thanks folks.

I'm going to apply it here because I think it's not right with golems either. It's not about characters having to be scientists. It's about the lore OOCLY being laid out, make sense, and be in line with the other lore of the server. The "Magicalness" that magic types had allowed for ridiculous things to be honest. I don't agree that "it's magic" is a proper explanation, at all. Also, Golems are usually their own independent intelligence. My problem is that there is no way the "moss" could replace a brain well enough to retain memories and personality. Legit you'd be better off having this be a race that starts off as plant people, not having it be normal people that turn to plants.