[Event Creature] The Bryophites

I'm going to apply it here because I think it's not right with golems either. It's not about characters having to be scientists. It's about the lore OOCLY being laid out, make sense, and be in line with the other lore of the server. The "Magicalness" that magic types had allowed for ridiculous things to be honest. I don't agree that "it's magic" is a proper explanation, at all. Also, Golems are usually their own independent intelligence. My problem is that there is no way the "moss" could replace a brain well enough to retain memories and personality. Legit you'd be better off having this be a race that starts off as plant people, not having it be normal people that turn to plants.

Good magic RP is as simple as explaining what someone CAN do, what someone CAN'T do, and making sure they RP according to those rules. Not having 50 pages of why every meticulous detail works.

::I believe we have multiple variations and what not on pre-existing lore that allows for far too many special species as is. This seems like some weird hybrid between a Dryad and a Frost Witch with memory loss. While it may prove to be a interesting novelty group for a month or so I think eventually its just going to become another neglected and unused set of lore within 3 months of its approval.

Bryophites are already a race/creature in the lore of LOTC, indeed for some long period of time they have been forgotten, many people when I began adopting the lore did not even know they were a part of it. However, now that I am in lead of the lore itself, and it has been given to me by the owner, my goal is to revive the Bryophites, and also... preferably remove the ones ruining them, or educate them to be less, of what it is theyre doing thats giving them a bad name.

Do you have to apply somewhere to play a bryophite?

You receive poor forms of feedback as a reflection of what this concept has stood for in-game and as an implemented piece of lore. Tossing back an equally vacuous response to these reflections do not contribute to any positive light the Byprophites have to offer.

I have unsteady thoughts on these creatures, and I consider them to be the same stock as the other complicated and psuedo-interconnected additions and revisions of Druidic or generally nature-oriented lore - it seems dull and I personally don't see any viable drive as to what a Byrophite would actually do when in the hands of players. When one looks at the common, hostile spooks like Dreadknights and Liches, one may easily identity that they exist to act as a source of darker roleplay. The players playing these creatures wish to take the role of an antagonist. But when you apply the same views on these beings, I don't see much coming up - what roleplay would they produce beyond the spectrum of "I am made of plants, marvel at the anomaly that is me"? What it actually feels like is just another toss-out concept, where players are able to become one because they want to be a plant person, not because it has unique purpose in the world. There is an emptiness, if you will.

Do you have to apply somewhere to play a bryophite?

No, scroll to the bottom of the lore post and there is a small section that explains how to become a bryophite.

You receive poor forms of feedback as a reflection of what this concept has stood for in-game and as an implemented piece of lore. Tossing back an equally vacuous response to these reflections do not contribute to any positive light the Byprophites have to offer.

I have unsteady thoughts on these creatures, and I consider them to be the same stock as the other complicated and psuedo-interconnected additions and revisions of Druidic or generally nature-oriented lore - it seems dull and I personally don't see any viable drive as to what a Byrophite would actually do when in the hands of players. When one looks at the common, hostile spooks like Dreadknights and Liches, one may easily identity that they exist to act as a source of darker roleplay. The players playing these creatures wish to take the role of an antagonist. But when you apply the same views on these beings, I don't see much coming up - what roleplay would they produce beyond the spectrum of "I am made of plants, marvel at the anomaly that is me"? What it actually feels like is just another toss-out concept, where players are able to become one because they want to be a plant person, not because it has unique purpose in the world. There is an emptiness, if you will.

Your first point, though based mostly on opinion I will agree perhaps my methods in getting rid of the toxic replies to my hard work might not exactly be putting a good view out there for myself. But I've no intentions of taking it back, I was simply being blunt and expressing fully, how those people made me feel.

Your second point, I can definately take into consideration. The idea of applying that view to the bryophites was something I haven't thought of, and I'm glad you brought it to my attention. However I'd like to express that, within that, though your post has been very helpful towards me finding something else to improve on in the lore, my lore post is not a "Yes or No do you like it or not" sort of situation, and I know that's not what you did to the point. My thing is, in reference to the posts I have denied, what I'm looking for here is comments that /help/ me -improve-. I don't want to know if you think bryophites are cool or not, I'm not bothered nor do I pay much attention to the "I'm sorry but I don't think this fits our theme" posts, because they give me nothing.

I want to improve the bryophites, to rebuild them, to -make- them into something worth roleplaying. I thank you, genuinely, for your input, I'll take it into consideration on my next edit of the lore. Hopefully the next few replies will be just as helpful, and if you want, you can even comment again but more in depth, I'd like nothing more than to talk about where you might see flaws in the lore, as long as you suggest how to improve it.

Name of race unclear. My friend was crushed trying to copulate with an ent and now she'll never walk again...

Jokes aside, an interesting idea but there are already a ton of races on lotc as it is. The cervitaur sort of already act as a plant race as it is, and sadly we never see em.

Perhaps it's been answered previously, and if so I apologize.

Regardless, I think the most important question is thus:

What do Bryophites offer that the cervitaurs, dryads, or ents don't already?

Name of race unclear. My friend was crushed trying to copulate with an ent and now she'll never walk again...

Jokes aside, an interesting idea but there are already a ton of races on lotc as it is. The cervitaur sort of already act as a plant race as it is, and sadly we never see em.

See below

Perhaps it's been answered previously, and if so I apologize.

Regardless, I think the most important question is thus:

What do Bryophites offer that the cervitaurs, dryads, or ents don't already?

A question like this has been asked, but I've given different answers. Ill try to put it all together.

Basically, the way I see it, Bryophites are 100% nothing like the other "nature" races. Those races are based on the idea of protecting nature, of it being a good thing that people love and want to keep, tree-hugger style. Cervitaurs and Dryads are products of the mystical, and beautiful side of nature, as well as the Ents.

But the bryophites, they are different. They are a product of the dark side of nature, their lives have been taken from them and reformed in nature's eyes against their will, it's not a race it's a disease, and it's looked at like one. It's a horrifying change that can turn a person's life completely around. There isn't entirely a good word to use to categorize the bryophites, but mostly I would say it's only 10% race, and 90% something that a player can choose to do to their character to change it up. It doesn't have drive as a race because they are not a race together, they know nothing about each other, most of them don't even know there are others, they feel alone. There are no Bryophite civilizations, and why would there be? The world thinks they are an abomination, a byproduct of the frightening dark side of nature that should be eradicated.

Most of the roleplay as a bryophite comes from RPing the fear, the change, how the character comes to accept it and how they live through the struggle, It is not a good thing to do to a character, it is a negative change. There are more disadvantages then there are benefits, there are more dangers. It makes roleplay more challenging for a character, no person in their right mind would enjoy becoming a bryophite.

However, that's my input on that, and I hope I answered your question. As of this moment, I'm letting this from here on fall majorly into the staff's hands, I will occasionally still respond to this thread to answer peoples questions, but Ill just blatantly ignore the hate that has made make the decision to put down the ink and quill. So if the bryophite players wonder why I've abandoned the project, just take a look at the community, and you'll know. I don't want to leave the lore stranded, if any staff have important questions or ideas Im 100% willing to help out and answer anything they need, but I won't be writing anymore and I wont be managing the lore or the players that decide to make Bryophite characters. I wish them luck.

Totes off topic sybb check your pms 

[under review]

This lore is now being reviewed by the LT; please feel free to adapt and receive feedback for this post and expect a answer before 8-9 days!    Thanks!

This lore has been placed upon  [Pending]

I will start with the honest truth, this lore is not liked by the majority of the team and these conditions are primarily under the consideration its already an implemented concept. I thought you deserved the right to know that.

1 - Change the name, we don't want confusion in relation to the already existent ents. 

2 - Magic; it would seem upon the surface that such possibilities and necromancy and voidal based forms would be an impossibility for bryophites. You've two options here, either remove the possibility of them using other variations of magic or add greater clarification into why such is possible. 

3 - Druid communion is apart of the atonement acting as the centre of the magic as a whole. If they cannot commune with nature than they can not be a druid. Atop of this you cannot just hold a communion as a race, you must be a druid/specific event character to do such.

4 - Sort of relating to point 2, necromancy should be out of the bryophites reach in many peoples opinion due to it acting as a contrast of their very being in a way. 

If you dont understand some of the more druid related points then I recommend you talk with either Delmodan or Menarra. You've one week to bring these changes into the lore and if we cannot seen such being made after that time period this lore will be denied.

Thanks.

DEADLINE - 28/05/2015

And this is great lore but i see the classic debbie downer response

'Too many races'

'no more minorities'

It isnt the minorities  that detract from roleplay but the way main races  are RPed

How about you let them play their bryophite characters? As long as they provide good RP to others, it shouldn't matter.

I don't know about anyone else, but I look forward to seeing them in game.

And this is great lore but i see the classic debbie downer response

'Too many races'

'no more minorities'

It isnt the minorities  that detract from roleplay but the way main races  are RPed

This is misleading.  There are many things that detract from RP and no one thing is the cause.  Your point about how people RP races is valid.  I have a bad taste in my mouth from human roleplay and yet the other day I had meaningful RP with a human that helped me change my perspective.  We can make changes a little at a time.

I believe these additions are detrimental.  Why?  Because we have players continuing to branch off into more and more "unique" characters and races and it creates the problem of things being spread too thin.  Furthermore I'm a stickler for lore and I'm a stickler for lore that makes sense (for the most part).  So this is a personal issue for me as the Druid Loremaster as further additions that meddle with the lore creates more to keep track of and deal with in RP.  If we add something in to the lore we have to come up with sensible excuses as to why it didn't exist before and there aren't really many ways to do this.

Which brings me to the "fun" aspect.  The phrase "make fun, not lore" has always irked me because it misses the point entirely.  I don't think we should just pell-mell do whatever we want without thinking about story or lore.  This is not a throwaway non-strict canon RP server.  It's the opposite and should be treated and respected as such.  It is possible to have fun while adhering to existing lore and not breaking it.  Adding on to lore that is already fleshed out is complicated and often times is unneccessary, even if it's a good idea (see the previous paragraph).  I understand and deeply sympathize with providing good RP to others, at the above post, but I do not think it should be at the expense of lore, and it can be done within our gudielines and regulations quite easily.

If lore is not fleshed out I think it's fine to add on to it.  When something is fleshed out I do not think something should be added on top of it.  Druid lore is extremely fleshed out, as well as nature lore.  That makes this lore an uneccessary indulgence and while I appreciate the effort put into it and am not saying it's badly written at all I think there is already a lot under nature lore and I want to focus on working with what we have and not adding more.

Reminder; you've two days left to bring the changes to action. 

DEADLINE: 28/05/2015