[Mists of Xan Addition]: Limbs of Light

Delmodan

“He is the warmth, the light, the fatherly embrace that holds and protects us in the everlasting darkness. His voice gives us strength. His roar gives us courage. He who will not abandon us and in our moment of absolute need, he will be there with his guiding light.”

Manipulation Addition: Limbs of Light

dEUNRGaMHKYzf5kCnBRQmXqnoRC9YGXgnq78n_fS

A paladin is his servant, his hand, his will upon this world. There to fight and protect those that cannot protect themselves from the darkness of the realm. To give a fighting chance and turn the tides of battle. His warriors he blesses with his power, allowing them to manipulate his mists to summon weapons and armor, cleanse corruption and taint, and even give healing properties to aid the injured. He hears their pleas, their prayers, even their torment and pain. For he places them in his warm embrace until their last breath has left, never leaving them without a flickering light. In times of need, his grace will bless them so they can continue to fight and serve. To not give up and fall into despair.

A paladin that has a missing limb can learn the process of summoning the mists into the hollow ligament and condense it out, creating a temporary limb that is literally conjoined with the flesh.  For this, the same rules would apply as if summoning armor or a weapon. To first learn this, the paladin would need to be very experienced in the art of manipulation and would need time and practice to learn how to manipulate properly. Starting with being able summon and control the mists into the form of the limb in question, the paladin must know the weight and feel of the limb before it was removed. The second part is learning how to move the ligaments in question. A digit curling into the palm, a foot being able to bend and take a step. Controlling the mists in such a way is very difficult to do and not everyone who learns of this ability may not be able to move the limbs, but instead, can for example create a fist to swing at an opponent or create a foot to be able to keep themselves balanced while using the other leg to support.

Larger ligaments such as arms and legs will take more time to be able to summon properly whereas smaller ligaments such as ears, fingers, eyes, etc. would take less time. However, the mists are pure particles of light and cannot mimic senses. One can summon eyes if they wish yet would not be able to see; a hand would not be able to feel, etc. As well, depending on what you are summoning, such as the large ligaments, the paladin would not be able to properly summon a full set of armor. However, weapons are more manageable and able to be summon.

Red lines

• Can only summon a limb where the area missing is.

• Cannot replace any senses such as sight, touch, hear, taste, or smell.

• Cannot produce extra limbs.

• The limb is only as strong as iron as it is similar to summoned armor.

• Cannot make any weapon limbs. (IE) An arm with a sword at the end instead of a hand, etc etc.

• Cannot summon armor while a summoned limb is created.

• Cannot summon both a weapon and a limb at the same time.

• Cannot summon animal parts as limbs.

Special thanks to Hugo for sparking the idea of the lore and to Mooyose for aiding me in the idea.

1. Is the limb/part of a limb that's created (such as a forearm + hand) attached to the rest of the arm in an unbreakable bond? Or would someone be able to pull the mist-limb off with a solid tug? Or if you punched someone with the mist-limb, would the hand/forearm stick or would it break off?
  2. If a paladin is experienced enough, would he/she be able to move the mist-limb around as well as a real one? Or would they never be able to achieve that level of mastery with mist manipulation since they have to actively think of how they're going to move the arm?
  3. How long can a paladin keep a full sized limb, such as an arm, created for?

Personally, I like this lore as it's another alternative to replacing limbs that doesn't involve actually growing a new one back (the monks fixed it!!!), but I don't see it being used that often.

1 hour ago, The Pink Lion said:
  1. Is the limb/part of a limb that's created (such as a forearm + hand) attached to the rest of the arm in an unbreakable bond? Or would someone be able to pull the mist-limb off with a solid tug? Or if you punched someone with the mist-limb, would the hand/forearm stick or would it break off?
  2. If a paladin is experienced enough, would he/she be able to move the mist-limb around as well as a real one? Or would they never be able to achieve that level of mastery with mist manipulation since they have to actively think of how they're going to move the arm?
  3. How long can a paladin keep a full sized limb, such as an arm, created for?

Personally, I like this lore as it's another alternative to replacing limbs that doesn't involve actually growing a new one back (the monks fixed it!!!), but I don't see it being used that often.

1. You wouldn't be able to just randomly pull it off if that is what you are saying. Think of it like a regular limb that is as strong as iron. If something is sharp enough, you can pierce it, if something is strong enough to bash it, it will disperse. As I stated, the same rules that apply for manipulation, apply here as well.

2. Yes, its possible as I stated in the lore. ;)

3. Same as if summoning a weapon or armor. Exhaustion, fatigue, knocked out, etc etc. apply. 

Its more of a neat thing to be able to use instead of just going and 'Hey, had the monks regrew my arm.' Gives a little more RP options and interesting RP experience. 

I'll write a quick response lore that, coincidentally, was the reason for you to write this lore in the first place.

Lore-ception!!!

As I continued Xan and wrote the magic, I approve of this lore.

I'm unsure about this. I personally think it's unnecessary (even though anyone can say any lore is unnecessary here) and it detracts from the dire nature of actually losing a limb, suggesting there's a fix for everything when that shouldn't be the case at all. What is the purpose of someone accepting their character's arm being severed and remaining as such when they can just get a better replacement around the block, and even made of sturdy wood or light particles? Sometimes bigger character developments, like the removal of a limb, should be left alone, and a remedy should not come up because everything doesn't need a solution.

So, basically, paladins are gaining a huge ass buff and get a SICK ass limb of light if they lose it. There is absolutely no downside to this, honestly. I don't like this all that much, given that they're already powerful enough, and I have to agree with Swgr above. There has to be some other weakness, other than 'they can't summon anything else while currently having a limb of light.' 

Essentially, I think there needs to be a more dire consequence to the usage of this skill. Perhaps, since the limb can't replace any of the five necessary senses of a player's body, it's incredibly difficult to use and, even if some adeptness was gained in using it, the paladin would still have difficulty manipulating it. It could be used for menial tasks, like picking up a cup or opening a door -- perhaps, loading a crossbow or pulling a bow back with some intensive practice. I don't believe a paladin should be able to use the limb to fight just as normally as they would with a sword, spear, et cetera. 

2 hours ago, Fordo said:

So, basically, paladins are gaining a huge ass buff and get a SICK ass limb of light if they lose it. There is absolutely no downside to this, honestly. I don't like this all that much, given that they're already powerful enough, and I have to agree with Swgr above. There has to be some other weakness, other than 'they can't summon anything else while currently having a limb of light.' 

Essentially, I think there needs to be a more dire consequence to the usage of this skill. Perhaps, since the limb can't replace any of the five necessary senses of a player's body, it's incredibly difficult to use and, even if some adeptness was gained in using it, the paladin would still have difficulty manipulating it. It could be used for menial tasks, like picking up a cup or opening a door -- perhaps, loading a crossbow or pulling a bow back with some intensive practice. I don't believe a paladin should be able to use the limb to fight just as normally as they would with a sword, spear, et cetera. 

It's not a buff nor is it a full replacement for a limb. This is a temporary use and they would still have to deal with the fact that most of the time, they wouldn't have their limb. As well, all the things you suggested was what was stated. This isn't something one can just randomly learn off the bat then be able to summon on a wim. This requires a lot of time and skill to even be able to properly summon it then be able to use it for either the menial tasks as you described or able to summon it during a fight. The paladin would have to choose first. A weapon or the limb if someone decides to come suddenly at them. This skill is the same as if summoning choosing to summon their armor or their weapon. It's meant to give an option due to the fact that within a fight, you would be at a disadvantage given you are missing a limb. 

Having a limb in use would subtract their possibility of using their fighting-esque magic; preventing the whole.. "already powerful enough" ordeal. Let alone that it's barely even a buff, I'm not entirely certain how you're garnering the notion of "huge ass buff" from a Paladin being able to wield a spare limb, which, I might add, this would be technically plausible with how Paladins can already manipulate light. It's actually moving the limb that isn't technically plausible -- but it can still be done.

@Fordo As someone who has no interest in most any lore outside of Druidism I will say I hate crafting lore to MMO balance it.  I don't care about OPness, that's why we regulate responsible players.  We shouldn't create lore to balance out perfectly with other things.  It doesn't make sense and it doesn't enrich if it all comes down to that.

2 minutes ago, Song Druid said:

@Fordo As someone who has no interest in most any lore outside of Druidism I will say I hate crafting lore to MMO balance it.  I don't care about OPness, that's why we regulate responsible players.  We shouldn't create lore to balance out perfectly with other things.  It doesn't make sense and it doesn't enrich if it all comes down to that.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. 

3 hours ago, Fordo said:

Why does there have to be a weakness?  Why does any addition that is beneficial to something in lore have to be counteracted by a weakness?  What purpose does it serve other than to balance it out?  

5 hours ago, Song Druid said:

Why does there have to be a weakness?  Why does any addition that is beneficial to something in lore have to be counteracted by a weakness?  What purpose does it serve other than to balance it out?  

I don't even know how to answer this properly because I feel like this should be a relatively simple concept to grasp. 

The reason why there should be any weakness is because of fairness in terms of the two dark/light alignments and the players who choose to walk down those paths. Necromancers and other dark mages have debilitating consequences to using their magic that makes them, in many cases, incredibly easy to dispatch by anyone non-dark mage. However, clerics and paladins, in my eyes and in the eyes  of many others, believe that they lack enough weaknesses, as they get to retain both their physical strength and their adeptness at deity magic, and the only real dire consequence is that if they are disconnected (which rarely happens forcefully), then they have some mental issues. 

It's no fun playing a game of chess when your player has three times the amount of pieces that you do.

29 minutes ago, Tsuyose said:

Having a limb in use would subtract their possibility of using their fighting-esque magic; preventing the whole.. "already powerful enough" ordeal. Let alone that it's barely even a buff, I'm not entirely certain how you're garnering the notion of "huge ass buff" from a Paladin being able to wield a spare limb, which, I might add, this would be technically plausible with how Paladins can already manipulate light. It's actually moving the limb that isn't technically plausible -- but it can still be done.

You must remember, however, that this light ligament still holds the same properties as its weapon (composed of the same particles) and can therefore be used to greatly harm tainted beings with its touch. And, if the paladin is adept at martial arts (which I imagine many are), then they can quite effectively use this buff as if they were still able to wield their mist weapons. However, I see now that Delmodan has clarified that the skillful utilizing of this skill takes some time. 

But imagine this -- A paladin/cleric has an arm of light. All they have to do to harm a tainted being is touch them with it or slap them (maybe?) with it, and it executes the same action as it usually would, which is purging. 

This is not a competition.  I'm afraid that is where many players fail to understand, what with the huge amount of PVP and wars we have.  Not my or anyone else's responsibility to be "fair" to other people.  It's RP, and life isn't fair.  That's just the way I see it, though.