[POLL] Armour & Ranged Weaponry.

xMuted

Should people wearing full armour be slower in CRP?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Should people wearing full-armour be slower in CRP? (For example, full sprinting reduced to SIX blocks of movement.)

2. 2. Should there be more significant drawbacks to wearing full armour to allow for non-magical ranged opponents to do more during CRP?

3. 3. Should bows or ranged weapons have a reduction to the amount of emotes necessary to fire?

It'd be cute to have more magics require specific armor classes (such as voidal mages not being able to wear armor full stop/scions being able to wear half-plate). Human/Fighter is not a scourge, it is just a class that players like picking. 

It should take less time to just load a bow and shoot than it would take to focus on forming mana to make a complex spell? Who would have thunk it. Regardless, I think only in dashing, the 8 block thing, one may consider armour movement being slower, though such is not a very worthwhile nerf anyway. No real point in this since everyone already wears full plate, so the balance wouldn't be useful, and if you are not fighting in full plate you are screwed no matter what anyhow.

Make bows 2 emotes is all i'll say, a lot of people already do this.

biggest reason everyone wasn't wearing full plate in every fight back in ye olden times is that it cost a **** ton of $$$$$ to get that sort of equipment and most people are poor

this is not a factor on LOTC

it is equivalent to having a modern warfare game like Battlefield or something but with everyone able to use tanks for free. Of course everyone will just use tanks.

mfw you cant use a bow in melee range

1: The average human knight I wouldn't say can be extremely slow in full armor, the only drawbacks I would argue is that in crp a full armored man if they were swinging a sword for example would not be as quick maybe in crp against a dagger wielding leather wearer. In terms of movements in a flat field or something long term sure but not short term. So I don't see the need to change the rules for combat movement. Only other drawback i'd say full armor has is your perception is lower due to a full metal helmet. 

2: Like I previously said you can argue a full armored person is slower than a non-armored person maybe in melee combat swinging due to the additional weight along with a lowered perception. But the thing is this is very hard to do and make rules for. Sneak combat is very very very rare in lotc. For the most part its just ambushes and perception wont matter, maybe in events the STs give a negative modifier for full armored people but that's all I see. I think it be hard to make a rule saying a dagger wielding leather armored dude is faster swinger than a sword wielding full armored knight, its obvious but situations differ i think instead of a rule just let the players decide or ask a mod for each situation. I think non magical ranged people have plenty of choices, the biggest is horse archers are a cool fun idea that I personally have played with, along with spears and javelins being such a good anti armor ranged weapon I don't see them needing any buffs. Add on alchemy to your ranged maniac on a horse and you wont have to worry about the slower sword wielding armored knight! 

3: I think bows are fine with three since its the same for most ranged weapons except throwing. If you got a armored opponent use a javelin or spear which is two emotes, then once you use the single or two you probably have on you if your a ranged type of fighter than transfer to your bow and continue to back up and keep distance, use a horse, or try to use your agility and duel wield daggers maybe. I will say this, maybe a rule where the first two emotes of using a bow is a minor action instead of major so you can still run. I think its stupid you cant full sprint when the first emote of a bow is just....grabbing an arrow. 2nd emote of a bow is also just locking the arrow and thats it. Third emote you cant sprint but the first two should be allowed to be a minor action allowing ranged archers a bunch of movement and agility. Maybe this can only be a thing if your wearing half plate or leather to. To deter full armored knight archers from being a meta if this idea works. 

Thank you for reading this ily

Edit forgot something. A new rule for crossbows and longbows to. You should be able to keep a locked arrow in a crossbow or longbow after the 2nd emote. You shouldn't HAVE to fire it on the third emote. You can pre load arrows I think is fine in the combat scenario and wait to fire it. So there, minor buff to crossbows and longbows that I think be nice to have. Ok no more edits from me.

If something like this passes I would say that if an archer or mage does a full sprint away they lose the draw on their bow/focus casting a spell, resetting the emote count. But ngl Unwillingly said it best.

but why nerf plate armour when you can just buff everything else?

:)

The movement stuff i cant really see as a good thing implimented there are a few videos and studies that show full plate men sprinting into battle and were made as well to account getting on and off horses as fast as possible. Sure you cant do backflips. But you can do pushups and jumping Jacks.

Non-magical range can already do deadly stuff to people in full plate, be it crossbow bolts or bokin arrows *ment* to deal with armored foes. Ranged folks also shouldnt be fighting within 4 - 8 blocks of someone or there is a significant tank to rush mentality.

Get the highground or be far enough away. As for the last system, i dont remember if its implimented, but isnt there a system already in place for players to emote twice then roll?

Overall dont see the need for the additions in a realistic standpoint, if you wanna shoot at an armored guy. Get an advantage and use proper equipment. <Ac and plugins when>

Posted (edited)

1. speed doesnt need to be reduced. Just emote exhaustion. Take breathers. this isn't a matter of balancing, this is a matter of RP quality.
2. Arbalests, crank crossbows, bolases, pilum... just be creative when you try take down a tin can! You need not rework the system so you can shoot them like how you shoot anyone else. Different situations call for different solutions. It should also be noted that any drawbacks for non-magical things can also apply to magic attacks as well in certain situations, depending on the magic at hand.
3. No. Just git gud or use throwables, lol

On 5/6/2024 at 6:38 PM, sam33497 said:

mfw you cant use a bow in melee range

Do it anyways, coward
go against the CRP meta

Edited by SlitheryC1

everyone who said “watch an irl video” of plate armor is a ******* nerd and I hope all your ST items despawn in your inventory.

2 emote bows are absurd if you apply them to the right circumstances, you double the firing output of most weapons in long fight and pairing that with a horse and minmaxxed positioning and you’ll send 5 arrows in 10 emotes while being untouchable.

plate armor is only as broken as nerds say it is. I think all we need is a proper plate buster solution to allow for ppl to diversify their armor choices. 

please don't add more CRP rules than necessary
If you start trying to nerf movement speed of people wearing armor they will find a way to minmax that too "aksually i'm not wearing full plate, as i'm missing a codpiece!!!" 

I agree with reducing movement because I find it logical, but more reductions would probably make plate armour combat just flat un-fun. I don't really think bows need less emotes, either. While I'd like to fire them more, if people don't treat them like sticks they can do significant damage and flat out one tap you if you want to allow them to.

I'd rather see less rolling for arrows and thrown throjectiles for arrows though. While there is a fun element of gambling.... Why the heck should a ranger character have to roll just the same as someone lacking training in bows? They aren't RNG at that point and that makes playing a ranger build less appealing because you're going to be told to roll.

Random one-off rules for CRP don't make sense. Every ranged projectile from potions to arbalests to magical versions all exists in the same ecosystem of ranged weapons - if one gets changed, the rest of them need to be adjusted in turn. Equally, it doesn't make sense to point at plate armor imo and say let's make people in that go slower. What about Horses in plate armor, or CAs/Constructs that are heavier, or similar things that weigh more? 

To many of the earlier points, Honor CRP should have as few rules as possible. However - if you are going to start thinking of rules and considerations for things like weigh and armor class, I really do you it has to go all the way into a fully thought out roll-CRP system. A halfway thought out system that does some things (seriously - what are archers even rolling for? The person they're shooting at doesn't even have to roll against the archer and nothing else ranged has to roll) and neglects other things only leaves large problems to be exploited and areas for disagreement and confusion. 

TL:DR CRP Rules should either be very minimal and left to players to be mature adults who can problem-solve and communicate and so thorough and account for everything that all players have to do is /roll 20 with advantage/disadvantage or modifiers in a system that leaves 0 roof for arguing. In fairness, there's no reason why two systems can't exist, and players can just pick which they want before conflict starts.

There's far too many rules and variables to them all as it is. A dude's in full plate perception isn't as great, but what if he raises his visor? A projectile can range from a scrawny shortbow shot that'd bounce off armor or a full longbow shot that'd have far more kick behind it than the previous, are we to enforce longer emotes over the type of bow? Keep it simple. Common sense and logic go a long way, as long as the combatants aren't tearing each other OOC'ly, it'll never be an issue. You can't enforce every part of combat with rules.