[✓] [Magic Lore] Malchediael's Radiant Templars

Islamadon

2 hours ago, Islamadon said:

Where would the soul of a dead Templar go - theoretical valhalla or the eternal forest? 

Fight Club: Aengul Edition

22fdcacd6f2149cec9e7a1fc80f80490.png

4 hours ago, Islamadon said:

reply chain about templar compatibility

The biggest thing with compatibility focuses on Malchadiael's journey and what has happened in past events that has led to changes. One of the biggest points of contention is that Malchadiael was under Iblees' control for quite a long time and the Aengudaemons themselves despise that, allowing the connection of a potential Ibleesian agent into your halls is where it gets extremely problematic. Specifically in the Aspect's Realm, do remember that Malchadiael was used aswell to try and crack the Aspect Stone by Iblees. There is an apprehension even by the most 'sloth' entities that they want to ensure their realms are protected and there is no chance of a breaching of their spaces.

The original compatibility was one that was basically placed in haphazardly and not realised until the Druid Templars were made, showing the initial loophole and it being way too late to patch by the time it was spread [as one of the Grandfathers was this].

What Islamadon said is right in regards to soul claiming, this is where the Aspects themselves would take precedent for protection against Malchadiael himself. He is the rabid, unchained dog of those who currently have his 'leash'. This rewrite does a very good job at orientating the magic to focus on the current state of Malchadiael post-mathic incident and modernises their approach to be beyond the generic punch bad holy, but a true representation of the deity that they serve, flaws and all.

I normally don't endorse, but from what I've skimmed this seems like a fantastic direction for this magic and its future. [It almost aligns with the true ying-yang holy v dark dynamic pipedream ive always wanted to do aswell].

+1 

*smack lips 

noice

On 7/19/2023 at 11:51 PM, Islamadon said:

I'm not against it, It's just that everyone I spoke with said Three. Three feels right to me, IMO, given that I think it should be a main magic that isn't so easily stacked. If more people insist on having it be 2 slots I don't mind, it's a hill I don't care to die on...

What paths could a character take, alongside Templar?
Bardmancy: Up to 4 slot? That might be a bit of a loss. Though, I guess it wouldn't be too tragic.
Housemagery: One Slot, so it works anyways
Voidal magic: With the magic 3 slots in prevents voidal rituals (because you need 3 slots in voidal), such as a Arcane Scion, which is probably the only way a Templar would ever go. I could imagine interesting roleplay could come a Voidal Scion, as it makes one possible even more berserk. However, Scions have a tained soul anyways... should that even be possible? So I really think nothing of value is lost. Any other voidal magic would be immensly strange to take up anyways, as it weakens the body...

Voidal mages truly become useful with a feat - which would probably the Scion here, anything else would make no sense. However, due to the tainted soul it would incompatible anyways? Or would it be, due to Malchediael having been tainted himself?

Im no expert on that one.

my dream of being a shaman kani templar voodoo ritualist is............... joever.............................

33 minutes ago, Laeonathan said:

What paths could a character take, alongside Templar?
Bardmancy: Up to 4 slot? That might be a bit of a loss. Though, I guess it wouldn't be too tragic.
Housemagery: One Slot, so it works anyways
Voidal magic: With the magic 3 slots in prevents voidal rituals (because you need 3 slots in voidal), such as a Arcane Scion, which is probably the only way a Templar would ever go. I could imagine interesting roleplay could come a Voidal Scion, as it makes one possible even more berserk. However, Scions have a tained soul anyways... should that even be possible? So I really think nothing of value is lost. Any other voidal magic would be immensly strange to take up anyways, as it weakens the body...

Voidal mages truly become useful with a feat - which would probably the Scion here, anything else would make no sense. However, due to the tainted soul it would incompatible anyways? Or would it be, due to Malchediael having been tainted himself?

Im no expert on that one.

im gonna be blunt as shit because the voices in my head are rly loud this morning so don't take this badly 

you're talking in terms of stacking magic as it is most beneficial for the templar. but that's not the point. neither should scion be compatible because of its corruptible nature, from both an ideological and metaphysical point of view, scion stands against everything the templar is (ie the only people who would pick it up are people who care to make their character stronger despite it being a scummy move their character probably wouldn't do). if ppl start plotting what magics make them the most op they should be taken out back by squakhawk and their characters should be turned into human vegetables lacking any limbs apart from the head, forced to be wheeled around by their compatriots around as a sign of their divine punishment 

in a perfect world templarism would take 5 slots but as it currently stands the magic is quite versatile, however "may" lack in some areas. Giving it 2 magic slots still allows one to go into other magics, giving it three slots however just gives me ptsd of siliti players who would simultaneously play the most OP CA and on top of that master a bunch of other magics. Not that templarism is OP per se, but if min maxed could really be (see druid-templars). 

tldr magic stackers bad the voices are loud why am I hyper fixating on a Minecraft make believe magic system someone end my suffering

7 hours ago, Jentos said:

im gonna be blunt as shit because the voices in my head are rly loud this morning so don't take this badly 

you're talking in terms of stacking magic as it is most beneficial for the templar. but that's not the point. neither should scion be compatible because of its corruptible nature, from both an ideological and metaphysical point of view, scion stands against everything the templar is (ie the only people who would pick it up are people who care to make their character stronger despite it being a scummy move their character probably wouldn't do). if ppl start plotting what magics make them the most op they should be taken out back by squakhawk and their characters should be turned into human vegetables lacking any limbs apart from the head, forced to be wheeled around by their compatriots around as a sign of their divine punishment 

in a perfect world templarism would take 5 slots but as it currently stands the magic is quite versatile, however "may" lack in some areas. Giving it 2 magic slots still allows one to go into other magics, giving it three slots however just gives me ptsd of siliti players who would simultaneously play the most OP CA and on top of that master a bunch of other magics. Not that templarism is OP per se, but if min maxed could really be (see druid-templars). 

tldr magic stackers bad the voices are loud why am I hyper fixating on a Minecraft make believe magic system someone end my suffering

No I'm not. I'm talking about what makes sense for a Templar to do. Lol.

I do not consider the question if someone can have Bardmancy or Housemagery alongside Templarism to be "magic stacking", sorry mate. The question is, in the end what route makes sense for a character. Is this overly restricting characters? It is quite obvious that a Templar also being a Druid makes no sense. But a Housemage and a Bardmancer? I think those two are magics that are just meant to create a certain flavor and it would suck to restrict someone who wants to idk play a Bardic Knight to do that without any reason. Yes, "Singing Knight" might be quite the trope, but it is something I really think would be silly to prevent people from doing if they want to.

Are Templarism and Voidal Magics going to continue to be compatible? I don't see why so when voidal magics are supposed to be the bane of aengulic based magics.

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

Are Templarism and Voidal Magics going to continue to be compatible? I don't see why so when voidal magics are supposed to be the bane of aengulic based magics.

From a pure lore point of view not all deities are entirely opposed to the void. However, the combination of a voidal mage and templar feels very off to me. Heavy Melee Knight and feeble voidal mage is just an immensly unlogical combination... I doubt anyone would do that, it just makes no sense in character. IMO a redline should be added regarding scionic soul taint though so there's no confusion.

An opposition to the void itself could probably be justified though - and would  feel right to me in the overall concept of Malchediael.

On 7/23/2023 at 8:49 AM, Laeonathan said:

From a pure lore point of view not all deities are entirely opposed to the void. However, the combination of a voidal mage and templar feels very off to me. Heavy Melee Knight and feeble voidal mage is just an immensly unlogical combination... I doubt anyone would do that, it just makes no sense in character. IMO a redline should be added regarding scionic soul taint though so there's no confusion.

An opposition to the void itself could probably be justified though - and would  feel right to me in the overall concept of Malchediael.

Isn't it Malchediael's job to slaughter voidal horrors and beasts that get through the veil anyways?
Cuz at this point if void magic is compatible that means either A, Malch doesnt care and is too busy being mindless/doing axe things, or B, he likes voidal mages because they give him new things to slaughter which i think is both pretty funny and in character with the context provided in this post

20 hours ago, SlitheryC1 said:

Isn't it Malchediael's job to slaughter voidal horrors and beasts that get through the veil anyways?
Cuz at this point if void magic is compatible that means either A, Malch doesnt care and is too busy being mindless/doing axe things, or B, he likes voidal mages because they give him new things to slaughter which i think is both pretty funny and in character with the context provided in this post

As I read it he slaughters Horrors within the Veil ("The Heavens"?). Since voidal mages can only cause voidal Horrors to leave through the veil (heavens?) to our plane I don't see the connection.

Though, as the Veil (if this is 'the heavens') lies inbetween the mortal plane and the void and voidal mages can potentially cause such a breach I think it could easily be argued that Malchediael doesnt like voidal mages - or is at least very suspicious of them.

On 7/24/2023 at 10:18 AM, SlitheryC1 said:

12 hours ago, Laeonathan said:

I'm not an expert on this particular topic so bear with me... Voidal connections do not modify the soul, and thus Malchediael would be unaware for all intents and purposes. As it is described currently in Voidal Lore, Voidal Weakness is derived from stamina is drained in exchange for Voidal Power. Though your mana and ability to cast magic is derived from your mind/soul, the Void does NOT leave a lasting mark on your soul or blueprint.

QUOTE: "Thus, by breaching the Veil, the mage allows the Void to influence their person more heavily, sapping away their energy in exchange for the spells they conjure. It is for this reason that mages are made less hearty and frail, their vitaly slowly eaten away by the Void — for everything has a cost."

Even if for the sake of argument that Malchediael kept a close eye on you and was able to feel when you conjured the Void, it would be the same level of haram as someone violating the ozone layer by using hair spray. The lowly voidal mage is so insignificant that higher powers simply do not notice. As long as you are courageous, Malchediael would not care but he'd probably slam a hammer into you if he found out.

4 hours ago, Islamadon said:

I'm not an expert on this particular topic so bear with me... Voidal connections do not modify the soul, and thus Malchediael would be unaware for all intents and purposes. As it is described currently in Voidal Lore, Voidal Weakness is derived from stamina is drained in exchange for Voidal Power. Though your mana and ability to cast magic is derived from your mind/soul, the Void does NOT leave a lasting mark on your soul or blueprint.

QUOTE: "Thus, by breaching the Veil, the mage allows the Void to influence their person more heavily, sapping away their energy in exchange for the spells they conjure. It is for this reason that mages are made less hearty and frail, their vitaly slowly eaten away by the Void — for everything has a cost."

Even if for the sake of argument that Malchediael kept a close eye on you and was able to feel when you conjured the Void, it would be the same level of haram as someone violating the ozone layer by using hair spray. The lowly voidal mage is so insignificant that higher powers simply do not notice. As long as you are courageous, Malchediael would not care but he'd probably slam a hammer into you if he found out.

It doesn't! You're completely right.

Only Arcane Scionismtaints the soul. Our argument simply revolved around, "Does it make sense for Malchediael to dislike voidal mages?"

I'd personally add a redline against tainted souls for clearification. Or could a taint be possible?