An Open Dialogue on One Specific Slur

Benleft

2 hours ago, terms said:

If that offends you it is your problem as in a way they aren't even talking to you, they are talking to your persona.

It is a slur that is used against people of color. A real-life slur. I have every right to be upset about this and not brush it off. I've had slurs used against me before and would appreciate knowing that this server is a safe enough place to not incorporate terms such as those into it. This isn't some made up word that wouldn't actually be harmful to another person. You think of it lightly, but it is not something light. How hard is it not to use it? Alas, my words fall on deaf ears. 

3 hours ago, terms said:

If that offends you it is your problem as in a way they aren't even talking to you, they are talking to your persona.

Have you never been OOC targeted before

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

Real life slurs should never be used in an RP server or AT ALL for the matter. Usage of such degrading terms "in taste" is not acceptable. There is no way to do so. Slurs are slurs for a reason, and the fact that this behavior was brushed off in such a manner also makes Moderation look worse than they already do. How can you use a slur "with taste"? By separating yourself from it? Easy for someone to do when they've never had to deal with something of the sort. 

It's ridiculous that this is a "open conversation" instead of it being an important and enforced rule not to use real life slurs in RP. Made up ones that fit the server? Fine. Made up fantasy world, made up people, made up slurs for different races. However, an actual slur that is harmful to a real individual who could have already dealt with this before in their life? Absolutely not.

Why is it that people like this are given safe spaces to makes distasteful comments and get away with it? It's almost like Moderation wants the decline of LoTC and the reasonable side of the player base. The usage of real life slurs should NEVER be a slap on the wrist.

Deflecting or shifting the blame doesn't help either. No side was right when using harmful terms to either person. As the Mod Admin, you should know that placing blame on the opposite is only going to cause more problems. Stop being the fuel to the fire and actually do something to put it out.

half the irp names you can call dark elves if you specifically wanna be racist to dark elves will have been used IRL in some random ass minor way anyways

26 minutes ago, xMuted said:

half the irp names you can call dark elves if you specifically wanna be racist to dark elves will have been used IRL in some random ass minor way anyways

ok so use the other half then

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

It is a slur that is used against people of color. A real-life slur. I have every right to be upset about this and not brush it off. I've had slurs used against me before and would appreciate knowing that this server is a safe enough place to not incorporate terms such as those into it. This isn't some made up word that wouldn't actually be harmful to another person. You think of it lightly, but it is not something light. How hard is it not to use it? Alas, my words fall on deaf ears. 

Yes it is. However LOTC is a RP server , not a chatroom. Im simply suggesting that people are accurately rping. All this offense people are taking is because nowadays it is known by all to be wrong. If this were a chatroom it would be wrong but its accurate RP. Thats all im suggesting , but my words fall on deaf ears.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

Have you never been OOC targeted before

I think its funny that everyone assumes that the people saying this have a negative agenda. Whats said in RP is RP. Its unfair to assume they are talking to you and not only the persona. Some people want to RP... on a RP server, but people will always hate that their RP is too realistic.

just ban it, its not worth it. no need to retroactively punish people for something that was allowed before, no matter what assumptions you make of their intentions of using it

it was used in role-play and put very lightly. if you oocly can't handle what is done in RP cry more or play another server.

Wealth, fame, power.

Gold Roger the king of the pirates obtained this and everything else the

World had to offer. And his dying words drove countless souls to the seas.

“You want my treasure? You can have it! I left everything I gathered

Together in one place. Now you just have to find it! ”

These words lured men to the grand line, pursuing dreams greater than they

Ever dared to imagine. This is the time known as the great pirate era.

Come on board and bring along,

All your hopes and dreams.

Together we will find everything

That we’re looking for.

One Piece

Compass left behind.

It’ll only slow us down.

Your heart will be your guide.

Raise the sails and take the helm.

That legendary place,

That the end of the map reveals

It’s only legendary,

Till someone proves it real.

Through it all,

Through all the troubled time,

Through the heartache

And through the pain.

Know that I

Will be there to stand by you,

Just like I know you’ll stand by me.

So come on board and bring along,

All your hopes and dreams.

Together we will find everything

That were looking for.

There is always room for you,

If you want to be my friend.

We are!

ppl were offended by darkie and coal people? mang....

idk, longest played character of mine was a darkelf. never cared about any of that stuff, didnt care when my ears were being cut off and dont care now. i think this is a silly thing to be called a 'slur' on fantasy server.

if ur uncomfortable with it and someone uses it just tell them and leave it at that. if u expressed discomfort and it was ignored then go n make a ticket. otherwise, silly silly silly.

If people are getting so butthurt about it then just make it so you mechanically cannot say it, very simple. I personally don't think its an issue at all but there are a lot of super sensitive people on this server (That probably shouldnt be using the internet) so whatever just ban it no one gonna cry that they cant say a specific racist word in rp. 

what if my dwarf is a jim crow era racist senator would he be allowed to say it then

13 hours ago, MailC3p said:

If we ban Darkie then we also gotta ban Spook because Spook is an actual slur used IRL too 

**** off not this again

I mean, don't Orcs refeer to most races as 'pinkeh', while getting called 'green-skin' and i've seen Delves call others 'whities'. Skin colour based racism is quite common it seems ((Unless it's wood elves and farfolk, too close to IRL ig?)) and who knows what the High Elves been cooking up in Haelun'or. Not to mention, isn't midget also considered a slur IRL now days?
Personally, i don't really care as long as it stays IRP and not OOC. I've seen WAY more homophobia on LotC than racism. Sure there's a better way to play bigoted character, there always is and skin colour based insults are a bit basic. Even IRL racist are more creative and subtle now days. Just call the Delves Iblees foot worshippers and Dwarves beards fake or shoot them and say 'sorry i thought you were a weird rabbit.' But if you wanna go off on Delf skin colour - just call them dusty(old) or a blueberry(they are alot of purple ones) more accurate anyway and no one's feelings get hurt. ((eng not first language so mb for grammar))