Reorganizing Arcane Magic

Mithradites

exactly, also if you spent like 3 years irl in order to get t5 in four different sub-types and you just picked up a sword or something

they win.

magic gives you power beyond human ability that's why it's ******* /magic/ don't get pissed off cause you don't have the dedication to learn it.

I could literally make an "archmage" right now, you know that, right.

I've been looking over this for a few moments now and read through it. And I'll do so again in a few days to understand everything properly.
But the graph at the bottom, the small picture.

You speak of a restriction upon mages that they can solely have one Tier 5 magic. I find that stupid, to be fully honest. I understand all the talking about it and what not. But a simple fact is that nearly no 'melee'- fighter will respect your magics properly. Restricting one self is just deadly.

And aside from that fact.. not all races have the same life length, thus it'd be completely illogical if a human would be able to get a Tier 5. If an Elf can only do so in the full span of his life. Not everyone has the same length of life. Thus restricting them to a single Tier 5 magic is simply illogical.

But I've always thought this way, since three years ago until today. :)

PS: I like the rest though ! Very well written out. :)

Just pointing out, there is no "3 years IRL" anymore now that voidal magic is unlocked, anyone can simply make a character and be a master.

I could literally make an "archmage" right now, you know that, right.

Which will not be solved by this suggestion, I agree that no-one should be able to pick up on magic and it should be a long winded process but regulating the things that a mage can preform, only causes more problems for those who actually take the time to do it properly. Those who don't follow the rules and lore on magic to begin with, do you think that by having this as an addition it will suddenly make them begin to use it properly?

It's nice, but honestly it's not going to help.

It fields a clear structure, but it's very restrictive.

Also, I only roughly flew over this, but Tier 5 in Sorcery means basically mastering all the evocations?

As for combination spells (electrified water, etc.) I believe if it does not include two mages at once, that is a no-go. That is what I have been told at least.

I definitely like Arcane magic getting a rework, but it does feel a bit restrictive and arbitrary in it's restrictiveness. For instance, you've split telekinetics and mind magic up. Given this system, no one could RP a prototypical psychic due to the relevant magics being in two different subtypes.

I'd like to suggest something in place of the single subtype rule:

First, throw out the five tier system, as useful as it was in MAT, it's kinda more than what's needed now. A 3 tier system (Student/Proficient/Master) is all we need.

Second, Allow people to learn all four subtypes under these conditions:

Only one subtype can be mastered. This is your specialty, your focus.

If all four are known, one can't advance beyond the student level. It is forever one they can only dabble in.

All remaining subtypes can't advance beyond proficient. Proficient is the level of your average mage, after all.

Third I'd suggest requiring a teacher for all four schools, but given Arcane has been unlocked, I don't see that happening :(

As an Arcanist grows in power, they will inevitably find themselves drawn to the schools that interest them most. In many situations, of course, they will also delve into the studies of other arcane schools. Though the more advanced they become in their preferred school, the more other schools will feel... wrong. Mana doesn't flow as it should. Sometimes it is painful to use their secondary abilities, other times disastrous. These other schools in turn seem to stop mages from advancing further in their preferred school--those magics contradicting and prohibiting one-another.  There are only two options for a mage at this time; to accept the limitations of their powers, or abandon these 'lesser' schools.

20140717_ObamaMiddleFingerL.jpg

Take note that combined powers in the sorcery sect are already able to be done via Blood Magic, and should be confined to this because of the necessity to boost ones' power to create these storms of magic.

I have two examples, and since I've personally written them, and recently, it's fresh in my mind.

Borked: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/122152-lore-the-notes-of-kalameet-izalith-the-holocron-lexicon/

Borked: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/109478-the-notes-of-kalameet-izalith-the-mana-obelisk/

Any Lore which is based off of combining magics to meet an end, borked.

I'd also like to point out this thread... Link No one was fond of tiers, and how they dictated peoples power. Whilst this idea literally re-implements them, and defines each and every power level. This system clearly had the Mat system in mind, and it brings back the restrictive nature which I personally hated from the old Mat.

The removal of the Mat offered one saving grace; it wasn't restrictive on creativity. This undoes that.

Fantastic!~ Though given the life-creating nature of thaumaturgy as spoken of, would it not also encompass golemancy?

Take note that combined powers in the sorcery sect are already able to be done via Blood Magic, and should be confined to this because of the necessity to boost ones' power to create these storms of magic.

Blood magic is closed off though. I have quite literally never seen a blood mage. If you are trying to make it a necessity make more blood mages.

Reading this wants me to play a wizard.

Blood magic is closed off though. I have quite literally never seen a blood mage. If you are trying to make it a necessity make more blood mages.

Open or not, it is factual. If you want more Blood Mages to surface, then you ought to consult Raptor on it.

I believe when raptor originally made the post I spoke to him about it and he felt the same way as you though as jax said there really aren't enough blood magic users (Atleast seen) to make much of an impact or effectively use it. You guys were for a short time making those events with sacrificing and that was cool though it doesn't seem you are doing it any longer. I wouldn't mind though if you guys invited more blood mages and started doing events like that again but really. There shouldn't be an issue with combining arcane magics with other people. Right now there are some synergy stuff mages can do if they work in pairs. Like making a cloud of mist and then an electric mage shooting a less powerful current of electricity into it to make it a lightning cloud. Though really as it is, to do these epic feats said in the OP would require most likely about 5+ power mages and that in itself is quite difficult to do. If a group of mages, or some people that simply join together to experiment this are actually able to coordinate enough people they should be rewarded for it and be able to make things far more powerful than if they were alone. That's all i'm saying right now though since I am very tired 0-0 just got my wisdom teeth taken out today. So I will make another reply about the OP in a bit.