THE WALDENFEST OF 1850

LithiumSedai

THE WALDENFEST OF 1850

Spoiler

THE CELEBRATION OF WALDENFEST

In celebration and reminiscence of the days of Aesterwald, where the Waldenian people were numerous and present in all facets of humanity, the first Waldenfest was born. Waldenfest began as a celebration of the tight-knit community of millers, bakers, soldiers, and lords united, despite their socioeconomic differences, by their ancient culture. Sat at a table, remnants of old Waldenia committed to their joyous communion in each other’s company, reminiscing on their times of anguish, of loss, and now, their forthcoming era of strength.

The last iteration of Waldenfest in the modern era was held in 1686 at the helm of the last Margrave of Vanderfell, Hans Rovin, gathering the Waldenian lords and knights of the Empire of Man. This Waldenfest, however, was no mere drunken festivity - it housed the Waldenic Moot, an assembly of Waldenian lords which had through unanimous vote instated cultural laws for all the Waldenic peoples to follow. Since the rise of new-age regimes, however, many of the traditionalist Waldenian houses of repute have retired into obscurity, and with most of them the memory of such an event. In lieu of them, successor houses and tribes such as the Alstreim, the Blood-Ravens of Lorraine, and the Barclays of the Reinmaren have gained prominence. Waldenian culture was steadily in restoration upon the ascension of Corwin I to the Sutican crown, whence he issued a proclamation inviting all of Waldenic descent to his lands, and of his successor Johanna I upon her marriage to the Reinmaren statesman Georg I which saw the pilgrimage of Waldenian people to the Southern shores from the North.

Thus, the initiative of the Southern Waldenian nobility united has deemed it fit to restore such a tradition - both a day of merriment for all Waldenians and friends of Waldenia and the first session of the Waldenic Moot since the Waldenfest of 1686. The Waldenfest of 1850 will therefore be hosted as a twofold event, taking place in both the County of Freimark and the Landgraviate of Alstreim, located in the Principality of Savoy.

The Waldenic Moot will take place at Merryweather Castle, in the Landgraviate of Alstreim, on the 11th of Tobias’ Bounty, 1850. Participation is limited to invitees only - electors and honorary guests. Electors may bring along their spouses, an additional guest, or be otherwise represented by a representative communicated to the Landgraviate. All persons of Waldenian and Reinmaren heritage are welcome to spectate, provided none cause a disturbance.

The Feast of Waldenfest will take place in Erwinsburg, the capital of the County of Freimark, within a few Saint’s Days of the Waldenic Moot. All persons of Waldenic descent and friends of the Waldenian people are invited. 

QUESTIONS OF THE DAY

Through careful consideration of the modern plights and challenges of the Waldenic peoples, a number of issues have been selected for discussion at the reformed Waldenic Moot. Its results shall be announced upon the Feast of Waldenfest.

ELECTION OF THE MARGRAVE OF VANDERFELL

Nearly two centuries have passed since the first election of the titular Margrave of Vanderfell at the Waldenfest of 1686. Established at its constituent Waldenic Moot as an elective, lifetime appointment signifying the protectorship and cultural leadership over the Waldenian peoples, chosen exclusively by Waldenian patriarchs and figureheads between themselves, this title has often been conflated with the ancient Vander title of Lord Vandalore, the defender and ruler of Waldenian kingdoms. 

It is rightly presumed, however, that the extant holders of these honors, Hans von Aesterwald of the royal lineage of Rovin, and Frederick Pius of the royal lineage of Marna, are no longer among the living. As no new election has been held since, and no realm or monarch has since enjoyed the undivided support of the Waldenian peoples as its protector, the prerogative of this Waldenic Moot has been established as the rightful election of the new titular Margrave of Vanderfell and the successor Lord Vandalore, embodied within a single Waldenic patriarch.

AFFIRMATION OF THE CHIEF OF THE REINMAREN

The tribes of Reinmar, by blood and greater culture Waldenian in nature, have established among themselves the tradition of ritual selection of their Chief. The Waldenic Moot, ever a defender of the Waldenian custom of elective appointment, is to convene after the immediate election of the Margrave of Vanderfell and under his guidance to affirm this ritual as a uniquely Reinmaren aspect of the Waldenian culture. The Chief will, pending this affirmation, assume a mediatory role upon the Waldenic Moot.

AFFIRMATION OF THE CULTURAL LAWS OF WALDENIA

The cultural laws of Waldenia established at the Waldenfest of 1686 have, to the detriment of Waldenic peoples, often in the modern age been sidelined and ignored, and often by the Waldenic peoples themselves, at the behest of worldly monarchs more concerned with political trifles rather than the wellbeing of their Waldenian subjects. Such grave offenses should no longer be tolerated. The Waldenic Moot is to convene, after absolution and penance given by the Lord Vandalore for those offenses of the sacred law, and reaffirm this law as the absolute guiding precept of all those of Waldenic blood.

THE COMPACT OF MERRYWEATHER

Throughout the past century, the Waldenic peoples have seen an unprecedented rise in assaults on the integrity of their cultural heritage. Though in this they share the fate of many brotherly peoples of Arcas and Almaris, one needs but to point to the especially revolting examples of blatant attempts to subvert and contest Waldenian titles of nobility such as those of Reinmar, Sutica and Merryweather. The Waldenic Moot is to convene in regards to a mutual compact of support between the Waldenian nobility aimed at affirming and protecting the titular integrity of their rightful domains.

AFFIRMATION OF THE PURSUIT OF BROTHERHOOD BETWEEN THE DAELISH AND WALDENIAN PEOPLES

The folk of Daeland, namely those of the Clan of Gromach, and their Imperial-and-Royal leadership of Alstion have on multiple occasions proven their stalwart friendship and appreciation of the Waldenic peoples. At the behest of the Prince of Merryweather, the Waldenic Moot under the guidance of the Lord Vandalore has been requested to convene on the matter of recognizing the Daelish people - both Gromach and the newly-arrived Clan of Douglas and its followers - as a brotherly nation to Waldenia, and their cultural leader upon Almaris, William Corwin Alstion, as an honorary Waldenian.

ESTABLISHMENT OF THE HALL OF HEROES INITIATIVE

Countless Waldenian soldiers have, since time immemorial, given their lives in defense of Waldenia and the rightful strictures of Mankind both. The intercession of heroic martyrs in the protection of their living counterparts should be enshrined in Waldenian lands through the tradition of the raising of vigil-shrines, listing the known names of all Waldenic fallen deemed worthy of eternal remembrance by the shrine keepers. The Waldenic Moot will convene on the matter of establishing the binding framework of this initiative.

AFFIRMATION OF THE PRIMARY WALDENIC SYMBOLS OF MERIT

Two martial traditions of the Waldenic peoples have emerged since the convening of the Waldenfest of 1686, derived from the ancient customs of Hanseti and Aesterwald. One is the custom of signifying one’s status as a Vander by blood or second birth, or as a knight of the Waldenic peoples, through the wearing of a torse - a wreath of intertwined, twisted fabrics usually donned upon knightly helmets to secure their mantling in place. As a symbol of Waldenic heroism, it is worn helmetless, upon the brow. The other is the practice of awarding the Ferrum Cross of Aesterwald, a simple iron medal fashioned after the Teutonic Cross, for feats of bravery. The Waldenic Moot will convene on the matter of affirming and clarifying these traditions. 

PROTECTION OF THE WALDENIAN WALRUS AS AN ENDANGERED SPECIES

Though the national symbol of Waldenia is considered to be the black eagle, many species have since attained widespread recognition as staples of Waldenian life and culture through their presence in the former territories of Aesterwald. One of these species, however, is today in grave danger of extinction - this being the Waldenian Walrus which once swarmed the shores of Vanderfell and Ayr, but in Almaris now lives in ever-dwindling habitats and numbers. The Waldenic Moot will convene on the matter of protecting the habitats of these endangered animals from poaching through mutual cooperation.

CALL TO THE ELECTORS

True to the principles of the Waldenfest of 1686, the proprietors of the renewed event have opted to instate an electoral system for the resolution of the Waldenic Moot. All individuals listed below shall be recognized as electors in representation of their respective electoral titles and territories. Any accidental omission from the electoral roster should be communicated post-haste to the Landgrave of Alstreim.

The electors and their constituencies are recognized to be as follows. All electors are granted two indivisible votes each.

His Highness the Prince of Merryweather, Ulrich Lothar of the House of Alstreim, representing the Electorate of Merryweather-Alstreim @LithiumSedai

Her Highness the Countess of Sarissa, Catherine Johanna of the House of Ashford de Savoie, representing the Electorate of Sarissa @Axelu

His Grace the Duke of Reinmar, Johann Erich of the House of Barclay, representing the Electorate of Reinmar-Kretzen @Frymark

The Right Honorable Count of Freimark, Ernst of the House of Barclay von Savoy, representing the Electorate of Freimark @GoodGuyMatt

His Lordship the Baron of Richtenburg, Sigmar of the House of Mondblume, representing the Electorate of Richtenburg @AmazingAzura

The Honorable Patriarch of Bishop, Sir Erwin of the House of Bishop, representing the Electorate of Bishop @Lomiei

The Waldenic Moot shall also recognize the input of any representatives of notable Waldenic houses and families previously invited to the Waldenfest of 1686, should they be present and able to prove their lineage. 

The additional invitees are recognized to be as follows. Until the tentative confirmation of their eligibility for a full electoral grant, any such individuals will be granted a single vote each. 

The House of Rovin

The House of Denhardt

The House of Königsberg

The House of Bran

The House of Weißhardt

The House of Schulze

The House of Oxenstierna-Mühlen

The following honorary guests are also invited to make their appearance. Honorary guests will not be granted votes.

His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of Savoy, Olivier II Laurene of the House of Ashford de Savoie @Publius

His Royal Majesty the King of Hanseti-Ruska, Sigismund III Karl of the House of Barbanov @Xarkly

His Grace the Lord of Alba, William Corwin of the House of Alstion @Caranthir_

The Honorable Hound of Daeland, Malcolm of the Clan of Douglas @_Sug

The Honorable Stag of Daeland, Gowther of the Clan of Douglas @Qizu

GOTT MIT UNS

HIS EXCELLENCY, Sir Ulrich Lothar of the House of Alstreim, Prince of Merryweather and the Rhine, Landgrave of Alstreim, Grand Knight of Savoy and Blood-Raven of Lorraine

THE RIGHT HONORABLE, Ernst of the House of Barclay von Savoy, Count of Freimark, Baron of Madvon, Lord of Neuberg and Erwinsburg, Commander of the Black Cross

HER SERENE HIGHNESS, Catherine Johanna of the House of Ashford de Savoie, Princess-Consort of Savoy, Duchess-Consort of Corazon, Countess of San Luciano and Sarissa, Baroness of Brynnrose

Spoiler

OOC:

The moot will take place at the Landgraviate of Alstreim in the Principality of Savoy at 6pm EST on Saturday, December 11th

4RNZDqwwJASAU7eXsRhQBaao9IfB96CMC5xnB-xP9gwS6tKeRGbnvBKA-a2I3Gbq00tmlk4y0oVno7Ta9IZFvgJZsFkHJWT8L9BLO6XUsLFr-SnkRMDqJbzYvlzTmtGJoUmtkiw

"Barclaaaaaaaaays.....

...assemble!"

Gunter Barclay shouted from the parapets of the keep. 

Ser Reinhardt Barclay hears the shouts of his young cousin Günter and smirks preparing his traditional Reinmaren garbs for the festival 

Holy Sir August shivers at the mention of Waldenian assembly "Hope it will turn out well...and peaceful...jak to mówił mój ojciec, nie będzie mi Waldeńczyk pluł w twarz..."

1Rwy_WLYTYNHUZD2Y-bE1q7NIkGlC8Ce7fkS8MU6

ujWsiYJXO8fj51MDiv3oNSCG-LLhS3ZkUk5VZrWDz4bLvd-ssfX0M_XbIcp71o2xAB3xFP4rVoawzZkdXpm-nJcJswnA2WR1TZeAEtVxveTkxkPJWcu-Rk4BZ5mkj_dZUNhuBK6_

Borys signs the Lorraine as he finished reading "Waldenians will be united? Dream of every Lechian..." He'd jest before coming back to his current matters

The Baron of Sigradz would cry as his father tried to force him to read the missive. @Frymark

"This is an eventful last year." Friedrich said to himself pushed himself up from his chair as he read over the missive, now going to try and calm down his great grandson after the young Baron of Sigradz was forced to read the missive.

The landgravine would begin tidying up everything from  the last celebration they had. Humming a small tune cleaning the dog and cat hair away from everything. Calling to her children  “Now, while the gentlemen and Ladies arrive no one steals anything from their pockets, and you do not take their pets if they come with them. We can’t dishonor our people. Now get dressed get ready I want you looking like gingermen cookies all nice and sweet!” Her voice stern as she looked at all them particularly the two ginger twins. 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, ColdestPepsi said:

"This is an eventful last year." Friedrich said to himself pushed himself up from his chair as he read over the missive, now going to try and calm down his great grandson after the young Baron of Sigradz was forced to read the missive.

The Baron of Sigradz cannot click the book.

[!] A letter is sent post-haste to the Landgrave of Alstreim, being the seal of the Duke of Valwyck. @LithiumSedai

"To the Landgrave of Alstreim, Ulrich Lothar,

While it surprises me much that I have to write this letter to you, I must first start by commending the initiative of a revival of Waldenian brotherhood. We, as people, have for long been divided, not only amongst ourselves, but among the many nations of the world, such is shown by the locations of those electors you've thus far invited, half of Haense, and half of Savoy.

Though, it does pain me to point out that you have missed one, my own name. After all, myself and every other Baruch to ever have existed, are the descendants of St. Otto of Vanderfell, it is he that the line of Baruch is derived from. And while times may have changed and we've adapted ourselves to the people which we rule over, that changes not the blood that runs through my veins, and I would not write to you unless I was keenly interested in the betterment of the Waldenian people in the modern day, to which I wish to extend my full aid.

It would please me to receive and accept your invitation to the Waldenfest of 1850."

Signed,

Eirik Baruch, Duke of Valwyck, Count of Ayr, Viscount of Voron, Baron of Gant, Laval, and Riveryn."

3 hours ago, Gusano said:

[!] A letter is sent post-haste to the Landgrave of Alstreim, being the seal of the Duke of Valwyck. @LithiumSedai

"To the Landgrave of Alstreim, Ulrich Lothar,

While it surprises me much that I have to write this letter to you, I must first start by commending the initiative of a revival of Waldenian brotherhood. We, as people, have for long been divided, not only amongst ourselves, but among the many nations of the world, such is shown by the locations of those electors you've thus far invited, half of Haense, and half of Savoy.

Though, it does pain me to point out that you have missed one, my own name. After all, myself and every other Baruch to ever have existed, are the descendants of St. Otto of Vanderfell, it is he that the line of Baruch is derived from. And while times may have changed and we've adapted ourselves to the people which we rule over, that changes not the blood that runs through my veins, and I would not write to you unless I was keenly interested in the betterment of the Waldenian people in the modern day, to which I wish to extend my full aid.

It would please me to receive and accept your invitation to the Waldenfest of 1850."

Signed,

Eirik Baruch, Duke of Valwyck, Count of Ayr, Viscount of Voron, Baron of Gant, Laval, and Riverryn."

[!] A response arrives soon after, marked by the Blood-Raven seal of Alstreim.

1ifESAXT-_8u9cNtuA5FB1X0mXdudBgCEBa2wynofVGu8_Ti32-5bDZU90rRTe0LV3fkhlSoGwtR9xypawJVvuwGJjqE8CCyusO85LOqRs_dCEce1iScqPyIX8zDiVEOD7bRLEQ

To the esteemed Duke of Valwyck,

It has certainly pleased me to receive your correspondence. Your very interest in our restoration of brotherly ties among the Waldenian people already strikes me as sufficient proof of your interest and desired engagement in this event; for that reason I, of course, extend to yourself an invitation to the Waldenfest on the behalf of all its organizers. I must, however, refrain from an immediate grant of full voting rights and leave this matter to the Moot itself and its future iterations. Without any desire to levy upon you and your House, an admirable lineage, insult - allow me to explain.

We, the electoral body, were in the creation of this event aware of the numerous noble descendants and cousins of the noble lines of old Rovin, and those such as Marna. Our informed decision was that our electoral grants would weigh cultural belonging and engagement far more heavily than just blood ties. The Ayrian people, we posited, considered themselves Ayrian rather than Waldenian - a culture of beautiful customs and dress, yet more intertwined with those aesthetics of Harrenites and the Daelish rather than Aesterwalders. While the Reinmaren cherish their Waldenian origins and the Waldenian tongue, we were not aware of the Ayrian folk maintaining such connections.

If the Ayrian folk with yourself at their helm wish to repair this connection, the Moot would certainly be overjoyed to facilitate it. This is, however, a matter that would take far longer than a simple night of merriment. We seek from the new age of Waldenia pride not only in its constituents' blood ties, but also their wholehearted participation.

God with us,

RqhEI1yYWmBC_LkhWkYPRr0SaND8jt8hyaITCpjcopbeM3TQrAlEL61ONGg9PWFb92H_JTmplQpJqxeY20os15m1l6Nu9_vS7lRD94pd_dUJ0uvI7xIyRXxwxynMVvWtxr-f7P4

810460.jpg

From a small woodlands near Savoyard lands, the Hound of Daeland, Malcolm Douglas smiles at the Waldenian prosperity of their peoples and made the decision that he will support his Waldenian brethren as their moot transpires. Thus, he began off on his journey to make it to the moot later in the day upon completing the readings of the invitation.