[PK] - This Day Forward

AmazingAzura

“This day forward”

The History of Hanging

A resemblance of the gallows in New Providence

The clashing of Petra echoed across the miles of the South. Sigmar pulled his blade, slashing it across many Orenians at the bloody Battle of South Bridge. Oren’s navy arrived with pounding cannons. Even against the pressure, the Lord followed his Field Marshal, Ailred var Ruthern. @mkLouis The siege against the land continued. Buildings crumbled, sinks plummeted to the ocean floor, and death was climbing onto every single soldier fighting. Sigmar admired his Field Marshal. He envied his strength, his family, his leadership. Since he was a child, Ser Ailred var Ruthern inspired him to do greater things. Yet, in a moment, in a blink, in a second, Ailred plummeted to the ground in front of him. An arrow shot by an Orenian had killed the only man Sigmar Mondblume aspired to be. The Baron’s body froze, his charge had abruptly halted on the Orenian soil. Ailred’s body piled against the countless amount of soldiers. Sigmar’s mind went dark and his thoughts had cleared. Why? What are we doing? What is this for? Power? Land? Honour? Why are we fighting? Is this what all these stolen lives are for…?

“He grows cold.”

Sigmar’s tears wiped against his bedroom floor. Glass had stuck to pictures, walls, and pricked against the wooden floor. Ink spat to each side of the chaotic, complex, confusing, tortuous walls of his abode. His body had curled into a shell of protection. Atop of his desk lay an opened letter with black ink fashionably scripted onto the fine parchment. 

"My brother, Nikolai Kortrevich received a short and cryptic letter from Isabel from Richtenburg while I was in Jerovitz for visiting purposes. When we got there, we found her. Not in the way that you would like. Pale and in her wedding dress, she was slumped on the floor with a single stab in her neck with some sort of peace on her face. I wish I could say the same about me. My sister is dead and everything is worse now. - Theodosya."  

Guilty thoughts seeped into his wounded mind. Was it his fault? Was his sister blood-lost on his floors because of his actions as a patriarch, as a brother? Was he even a good person? Did he deserve anything? 

A knife sat next to him, begging him on. A moment of hesitation grew onto his shivering hand but he refused to go on. The silver of the knife arose to his throat. Tears fell from his eye, dropping against the torn bedsheets. He had to, did he not? How could anyone live in a world so cruel and vile where everything is taken from you? The knife dropped against the wooden floor and Sigmar’s throat remained clean, without blood. He couldn’t. He had to go on, for his family… right?

“His skin is pale”

Scornful eyes from the courtroom circled to one center point, where Sigmar and Ser Erwin Bishop sat on both knees. Ropes knotted against their wrists and chains that rooted onto each pair of legs. Philip III, Emperor of the Orenian Empire, grimaced at the sight of the two Haeseni. 

“Did the raid go well, gentlemen?” Philip smiled at the Orenian soldiers who gathered behind the squire and knight. His gaze shifted back to Sigmar, then Erwin. “Your names? Be honest, for that may be the only honor you get this day.” Sigmar answered with the truth, “Sigmar Mondblume.” After, Erwin. “Ser Erwin of The Order of the Crow.” The Emperor held a pleasing smile at the mention of ‘Ser’

“My decision is made” Philip said after a second of thought. “Death by hanging. The two haense soldiers will hang. My mind is resolved as such.” 

Sigmar’s mind went blank. Just similar to the Battle of South Bridge. The surrounding sound became muted. His sight became unaware of those in the court who pleaded, even begged, for a different punishment. All he thought of was his father, Yvo Mondblume. Was this what it was like? Was this how his coma dreams went? Darkness and a cold feeling ooze around your body. Was that how it felt?

“MY DECISION IS FINAL!” A light opened Sigmar’s vision. The Emperor looked to the court with an irked expression. “Anyone who opposes can gladly hang with them.” He threatened. “To the gallows!” At that, Sigmar’s restrained body was forced aloft to his feet. The rally marched past the city gates and reached the gallows. Erwin was first. He was shoved to the top and there a noose was tightened around his neck. Words from a churchman described the Knight’s final rights. And after a short speech from the Bishop patriarch, his body dropped and feet dangled. Just after, a hand pushed against Sigmar Mondblume’s back. His feet dragged onto the gallows and there he saw the Orenian crowd. The churchman repeated the same rights whilst the rope was quickly tightened against the Baron’s neck. 

“Any last words, Lord Sigmar Mondblume?”

A tear dropped from Sigmar’s left eye, for his other was bandaged after a vicious fight with the Dobrov Monster.

“War iz zuch a terrible zhing. It infectz everyone near it, even mea. Emperor Philip, ea knov vhat it iz like to have command. To have duty and rezpect. Ea never hated Orenianz or vellow Canoniztz like zhou zay ea do. Zhou do niet vizh vor pain and deazh, for nie leader zhould. Zhou vizh zhe bezt for zhou’r Empire.” He heaved a deap and heavy sigh. “War iz zuch a terrible zhing.” His lips closed and the Emperor gave a solemn nod. In a slow moment, the lever pulled. Sigmar’s footing fell but yet didn’t touch the soil. He dangled by a tightened nuse. 

He choked by the thick rope that held him above the crowd. “. . . M-mamej. . . Isabel. . .” The poor man wheezed, “. . . Ea’m coming home. . .”  His eyes shut, choking ended, arms slung to his side, and his feet stopped moving. Sigmar Josef Mondblume dangled beside his comrade, Ser Erwin Bishop with cold, pale, and dead eyes. 

“Sigmar Mondblume is forever dead                                                                            @Lomiei

{Corresponding POV from Ser Erwin Bishop}

Spoiler

A letter was sent by crow to Theodosya Mondblume.  @marslol

Spoiler

“My dearest sister,

I fear this letter comes into your grasp. We have never been on the best of terms. I know at sometimes, you hate me. And hopefully, that has changed by the time this reaches you. I do love you. I have never been a good leader, it simply wasn’t in me. But the moment I was crowned as Lord Mondblume, I felt a need to protect you and everyone in the family. The moment I received your message about Isabel, I felt guilty. Your life means more to me than my own. To see you hurt pained me to read, and I am sorry. I can’t help but feel guilty for my actions. Everything I did, everything I do, did it hurt you? Stay with August. He is a good man. I will always remember every moment I shared with you, bad or good, and treasure it. Live on, and love.      

With love, Sigmar Mondblume

A letter was sent by crow to Sigismund III  @Xarkly

Spoiler

“My Unkle,

From the seven-skies, I will never forget you. You have shown me options, ideas, and hope. You uplifted my house. You supported me and my ideals. 

The war ruined me, I suppose. I can’t think normally. My mind is scattered brained but nevertheless… I hope my life was useful, that it meant something. Thank you for your contribution to me. Thank you for the time you spent with me. I will never forget them, nor you.

I love you, Unkle. Farewell.

Sigmar Mondblume

Amelia Ferinn Mondblume sat on a blanket within Elysium's park, hidden under shaded trees. Four years of emotional pain and distance sat within her eyes, looking at her bird which flew down to her. Two letters placed into her hands, eyes drifting to the Mondblume seal first and opening it. Reading the letter slowly her eyes began to swell with tears, she couldn't finish reading it as shocked sobs escaped her mouth. The Mondblume had just lost another loved one, falling deeper down into her pit of despair. 

Earlier this saint day, not two hours prior, Nikolai Mikhail Kortrevich sat back in his seat at the table of the dining hall within Jerovitz. Before him sat his cousins and sister Emelya, as well as Sigmar Mondblume, his sister Theodosya, and August Barclay. All company he enjoyed, It had been a long time since he saw this many people at that table, and it had been a long time since he saw that many Mondblumes in one place at a time. The topic of discussion for this dinner? To discuss the Betrothal of Sigmar Mondblume and Nikolai's sister, Vasilia Reza Kortrevich. A fine match, both lords thought. Good for their families, a new bridge to be built that would last years to come. The dinner had gone so well, and the longer he sat there talking with Sigmar, the happier he was for the man. Soon a marriage, and soon to be knights. The Mondblume lit up when discussing how close he was to his last trial. An impressive feat, and one Nikolai respected. 

The dinner ended, and Nikolai let off a sign of relief. He quite liked the Mondblumes. Always did, and now here he was.. Excited for his sister to help Sigmar raise a new generation in his bloodline. It had been a good day, those didn't come often.

--

Nikolai read through the letter in his hands. Erwin.. How unfair. What Edith Hope didn't tell the Lord Kortrevich was that Erwin was not the only one. He watched as the men passed him with Erwins body in hand, laying him in the dead center of the square... Then they announced the passing of Sigmar Mondblume. 

That couldn't have been right. This was a cruel joke, surely. It must have been! Nikolai just saw Sigmar.. Not mere hours ago.. He was just in Jerovitz. Laughing and eating dinner, discussing his future with the host. Nikolai's eye didn't fill with tears, there was no time to process the death of one person he considered a friend, let alone two. Especially not when he realized the young Kortrevich at his side.. A boy who was too young to have to experience the death of others the way he has. All Nikolai could do was pick Borris up, and take him home.

In the quiet dark of his room later that night, where he mourned and thought over the saint day... All that he could think was how tired he was of watching the Mondblumes die, all of their lifeless bodies settled in his mind. People he loved, respected, and knew. That poor family.

Godan was so cruel in his choosing 

r

Karl Sigmar had prayed fervently for all of his family in battles home and far afield, and yet the war had now taken the life of his cousin. As the body of his friend returned home, he prayed fervently for his soul to enter the Seven Skies before any demons knew that he was dead, for the Lord Mondblume deserved all the best and more. "A Friendly face and true amongst men. War takes the best first."

Her silvery eyes were solemn upon the candle.  Moliana stood before it, its glow brought out golden flecks in the woman's gaze.  The shadows danced around her in the dim room, though not as fiercely as they had in the night for fingers of sunlight prodded through the windows of her kremlin.  The candle was of good quality, scented with pine even.  A proper smell for the north, and a northerner, Molia thought to herself as she was setting up the memorial for the late Sigmar. 

Knowing the piety of Haensemen, she even included an icon for the Mondblume's memory; having acquired it from her recent venture to the nearby city.  The candle's glow illuminated the solemn face of the saint as she propped up its wooden panel, then brought her hand to touch the cross hanging from her neck.  Beside it hung a crimson gem, which bore a peculiar energy about it; and beside that, a tarnished locket.

She was never terribly devout in her life, always thinking it wiser to rely on the will of oneself than pray for miracles to save her.  The teachings of canon, to her, were meant to guide folk to be kind and principled than fearful of God.  At least that is what she had believed when she first returned to her family in the Empire.  Now, she wondered often on the manner of religion and what it has turned the supposedly devout into.  Martyrs and murderers, all-together.

As a sigh left her, she recalled the tremble in her husband's voice, Elimar, when he told her of Sigmar's passing.  How this war was gradually becoming more and more real for them both, to begin losing family in such a manner.  Whatever could I have done wrong?  She wondered this to herself more and more now, contemplating the thousands of lives lost from this war.  A part of her still clung to that belief that there may have been a way to encourage the Crown to not fling the continent into turmoil.  Then perhaps, less families would be shattered.  Less candles would require lighting.

Eirik Baruch signed the Lorraine Cross over his heart, "Baron Sigmar was a good man, similar to his forefathers and other ilk. He will be missed."

Ser Reinhardt Barclay shed a tear for the loss of the young Mondblume, he had shown much promise in his journey towards knighthood, he will prayed that young mans soul “Rest soundly Kleiner Mann, Ich hope du find peace in das seven skies with dein mutter und vater”

Edited by Capt_Chief26

R