Let's talk about Realms

Xarkly

thank you Xarkly.

Bit late for a good sunday. Perhaps change that to a good monday.

3 minutes ago, Borin said:

it's sunday still borin, even for us brits - 23:40 by my time

I think I agree with most everything you've said here. Honestly, I believe that staff should start by 1.) publishing activity data again and 2.) enforcing activity checks to try to get this problem of overbloat under control.

I also think it might be healthy to distinguish different types of nations as well though. For instance, all nations, no matter their size, are currently considered to be "realms." Last map, settlements existed as well, which were traditionally very easy to create but didn't enjoy the same privileges as a nation.

To correct this problem of overbloat, I would propose the return of settlements. Settlement status should theoretically be as easy to get as a realm in the current application process. However, settlements should only be allowed to hold a single tile under this classification. To incentivize remaining a settlement, I would suggest dropping upkeep to 100 minas for their tile.

A separate application for nations, or realms if you really wanted to keep the name, should be implemented to be able to have a multi-tile nation. If you grow to the point that you can afford bringing on vassals or buying more land, then it should be easy to compete in a more rigorous applicatory environment and pay more maintenence dues.

By reclassifying all of these one-tile states as settlements, nation overbloat will diminish, and new nations will be disincentivized from forming outright.

I think another issue that causes these massive empty realms is the fact that every tile has a valuable resource (except amethyst) so keeping a one tile realm unless you settle on netherite is just a pure disadvantage in any sort of conflict scenario. This causes the drive to just buy land strictly for war economy purposes resulting in realms with way more land than they honestly need imo. (There is a lot of netherite in the north of the map leading me to think this is partly why many are choosing to settle up there as well)

25 minutes ago, satinkira said:

it's sunday still borin, even for us brits - 23:40 by my time

I don't need to have a good sunday though sunday is just about over. I need a good monday!

28 minutes ago, Borin said:

Have a good rest of your sunday :)

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Have a good rest of your sunday :)

Sunday is over. it is monday now.

Activity checks are not the enemy. If you complain about there being too many settlements, but are against activity checks, then you are the problem. Bring back activity checks.

As I said earlier, a good way of incentivizing NLs to accept more prominent, ambitious vassals would be to give a three month no-rebellion period for all new tiles. It gives the NL the time to evict them if they are a group dedicated to rebelling (this is usually easy to tell within this time period)