Realm Applications on Hold

Llir

I disagree with this. Personally, I think we don't have enough human settlements.

Attaching in-Roleplay political autonomy to some special staff-approved status was a mistake. Nation status should not exist as a concept. As a group, Nation Leaders do not deserve to be held up to the pedestal that they are on currently.

Bring back Freebuild. We need shock therapy to purge the power of discord cliques and council chats.

Whatever system you devise, bare in mind that activity checks won't allow smaller realms to grow. Bywater wouldn't have had a chance to become the size it is now if it was constantly under pressure. Go easy on the little guys, so that they might become something better in time. If they're absolutely dead- then by all means send the ruination team in.

Or- and hear me out here...

LOTC-TILEMAP-EVERYTHING-12-3-20237.thumb.png.18306df28c65d79eb2090b10c0bc94a4.png

hello I would like to petition to have more empty human settlements and noble manors thank you 

I think the fact that most gates on the server where closed for several months had much more of an impact on server health then "bloat" ever will.  Some people will see a small build made for a group in another time zone from them and have a violent reaction at the "empty dead build stealing muh rp" in the same way they hissed about there only being three places to find rp a year or so ago.

Freebuild on arcas was such a hassle staff wise to deal with landscars and mega builds never getting finished. There are loads of realms handing out land for merely approaching them with a group and asking, in regard to doing typical culture, noble families, farm lands, etc.

On another note, I hope a system is found to reduce the tiles mega nations own with hardly any RP. 

2 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Attaching in-Roleplay political autonomy to some special staff-approved status was a mistake. Nation status should not exist as a concept. As a group, Nation Leaders do not deserve to be held up to the pedestal that they are on currently.

Bring back Freebuild. We need shock therapy to purge the power of discord cliques and council chats.

I love europa universalis of the craft though..

21 minutes ago, Qizu said:

Freebuild on arcas was such a hassle staff wise to deal with landscars and mega builds never getting finished. There are loads of realms handing out land for merely approaching them with a group and asking. 

On another note, I hope a system is found to reduce the tiles mega nations own with hardly any RP. 

freebuild ptsd

whoever was in charge of handling freebuild burned out

8 hours ago, Esterlen said:

This is a great call - but it needs to go a lot further.

The current status quo of realm bloat and kleinstaaterei is pretty destructive, so just preserving it through a (presumably temporary) application freeze is not going to do enough. 

If I were on the staff, my priority would be introducing rules and other mechanisms to cut down on the McMansion nations, mass-produced piastdoms and inactive microstates - realms with minimal activity, no economy and/or raison d'etre for even existing in the first place would be the first to either go or be strongly encouraged to merge with their neighbors and integrate with currently-present systems. 

I commend the staff for having correctly recognized that the bar for statehood needs to be a lot higher, but now the extra step should be taken to clean up those that should never have achieved realm status in the first place.

In an ideal world I would rather people do this in RP, but the reality is that players can no longer be trusted to self-regulate seeing as everybody today has some special excuse as to why their Targaryen-copypaste or Google Translate nation (dreamed up in the last five minutes) has a sacrosanct Wilsonian right to self-determination and inviolable sovereignty, and how this then exempts them from ever integrating into larger communities. 

The role of staff should not just be to enforce petty infractions, but also to promote high quality world-building - this is one of those situations where a hands-off approach has been very harmful to the standard of RP on the server. 

I would wipe them off the map but there is a giant hugbox that is for some reason insisting on blocking any offensive I make against the piastdoms while preoccupying themselves with painting toe nails or something equally inane.

8 hours ago, RIGOR said:

To expand on this, nations are essentially just these immense and all-consuming segments of the server. There is no alternative for players who want to do smaller-scale role-play. Instead of guilds, craftsmen, and farmers, you've got endless noble personas, all of which have some "unique" facet to them - namely, they're all nobles. I believe that it would be wise to place the same emphasis we had on prior maps of four crucial zones and a handful of outlier nations to fix this.

Player creativity is a good thing when it's channeled in a positive direction. However, people have historically channeled their energy inwards, and now the server culture is dominated by greed. Every decision is influenced by out-of-character influences in every major group. While this is inescapable even in old LoTC, it does not change that in the past there were harsher punishments for this behavior, whereas nowadays it is rewarded.

People are actively rewarded for being selfish. Nobody can make the argument that these countries have "varied" cultures, it is simply a matter of which personality cult dominates which, and which people invest the most time into ensuring its success. There are some people who make efforts to do both, which is cool, but at the end of the day player narratives are now governed by their uninhibited impulses. Honestly, I'd gut nations as an institution start fresh, and place a heftier emphasis on role-play systems that foster activity not through tea party pings, but through enabling positive exchange between players. Mods have increasingly become a facet of rule-lawyering between old, jaded players who claim to care about role-play but behave hypocritically as to write the fattest wiki pages (which is rife with plagiarism, theft, and a lack of professionalism in itself).

There is no reason somebody cannot get their own house elsewhere, so long as they contribute to the server's narrative. A regulated free-build option where you can get your builds approved with a lore write-up would be dope. We need fewer kings, shepherds, bureaucrats, and smarmy politicians. We honestly just need people who care about role-playing for fun and not to sustain their ego.

TL;DR

We risk returning to a time frame where server activity is dictated by pings. We should be creating a server where people do not endeavor to use Discord. Amen.

I personally support the implementation of regulated freebuild and an end to the PRO system and nation regions in general. Let people do things dynamically. Orc lands are already defacto freebuild.

21 minutes ago, UnusualBrit said:

I love europa universalis of the craft though..

@ me next time coward

When Realm Applications make a return, I would advocate that they should require the signatures to be on their most active persona- because communities are composed in their core of players who are invested in them.

More importantly however in my opinion is that Realms need to have progression. I mentioned this in mapdev a while ago, but groups are successful when they go through actual progression. This is a Roleplay Server after all, so narrative of course maintains a high importance. This could be implemented by forcing groups to have actually had time going about different nations or what have you, or maybe allowing them to have a campsite before they can have a nation.

I think as well the concept of Realms should be changed from purely a governing system for tiles to be implemented more substantially across all levels of 'Groups'. I think we are artificially encouraging people to divide up as much as possible because you get more recognition for being a less active but independent state than you do for being an active vassal of another nation. I think it's a warning sign that the system is flawed that RP hubs are discounted as being put on map but far less active 'Realms' are put on there. Maybe the system should instead be designed to be about integrating the different levels of RP groups and their ability to affect world than it is just monitoring tile ownership at the highest organizational level of group.

I may draft up this idea with more detail and make my own forum post, because I don't think I can do it justice with just 300 words. But I really think we should focus on the user-end of how people interact with groups and how it encourages gameplay and roleplay as opposed to closely following the default of what we have done on server for a while, because all the current realms change as opposed to settlement and nations did was make everyone a nation, but nothing actually else.

14 hours ago, PrinceJose270 said:

In all honesty tho, It's prob best to cull the abandoned realms. (that generate almost 0 activity). But if there is some purge of realms. Please for the love of god just ruin them. having /clear on everything feels so weird

Vortice?

3 hours ago, Nooblius said:

allowing them to have a campsite before they can have a nation.

it's why I support making lairs less lore-oriented and more eligible for non-magic playergroups who want a place to RP. if you don't have the ability to maintain RP at a lair after 3 weeks of establishment, why should u get a realm? it allows for ppl to have more options outside of the nation monopolization of land but also sort of self-regulates the amount of realms popping up

3 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

it's why I support making lairs less lore-oriented and more eligible for non-magic playergroups who want a place to RP. if you don't have the ability to maintain RP at a lair after 3 weeks of establishment, why should u get a realm? it allows for ppl to have more options outside of the nation monopolization of land but also sort of self-regulates the amount of realms popping up

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

giphy.gif

Bros are dying to have Oren back.

I think just shifting back to having checks like on Almaris would solve pretty much all of the realm bloat we've been seeing.

imo Having more decentralized RP is overall more of a benefit then having like 1 or 2 main player bases and everything else having no-one, granted its all about finding a good balance.