[PK] A Final Adventure

Deets

Annette patiently waited for a few days, but was ready to wait for years, decades. She paced back and forth, trying to find some way to pass the time. And finally, he was there. Before her stood the man she loved more than anyone in the entire world. “Karl!” She called, going to hug him tightly. “Oh, how Ich missed du. And now, du vill never leave mein side.” She released him from her tight grasp, her hand going to intertwine with his. “Ich have so many people for du to meet. Und Papa ist first on zhat list.”

Thérèse stood at the gates of Vissingren, seeing a horse come to the gates. "An abandoned horse. . .?" She questioned, going outside to retrieve it. She then noticed the letters stuffed within. As she pulled them out, the quickly recognised the handwriting to be her grandfathers. Her face almost went pale. "No." She uttered, in complete disbelief. "Opa. . .I suppose would never go on without Oma. It was coming one way or another." She said before distributing the letters to everyone addressed.

Artel takes the letter as the men of his family unload the bag, the wayward son retreats to his forge, opening it the knight reads the letter and tears swell up in his eyes, he takes a moment to collect himself before he turns to exit the safety of his workspace he takes a long walk through the Black Hills "Theonus" he mutters to himself as he walks, without his father that name would mean nothing, the banners that fly on his home and hang from his back would bear no meaning.
The aging man walks until a rut is bore into the earth beneath his feet, with a silent nod and a few more tears he turns back to the gate, his fathers body was to be collected from where it lay, a job was to be done.

Spoiler

I cried, rip to the big man! the bloodfather of Theonus and a hero of the age!

Another candle snuffed. Another light, permanently extinguished. Karl had been one of the greatest men Ser Waclaw Jazlowiecki had known- the kind to define a generation, one the world was going to sorely miss in the coming years as peace once more settled upon the continent. He smiled upon reading his late father-in-law’s letter. “Know that what you’ve built will endure, long after we are all but dust. That is the greatest legacy to which a man can aspire. Rest well, Karl. God knows you’ve earned it.”

As Sir Karl came to the seven skies Sir Yvian looked on with a soft smile on his face, despite the highs and lows in their past, he always considered him a reliable battle brother from their times in Minitz. The Herrenmeister offered a simple handshake, and the words;

"It has been long, since we last spoke, and yet even till your final breath, you followed the words;

Wer Rastet, Der Rostet."

A former friend poured a drink for the newly deceased.

"I'm sorry to have disappointed you, Karl. I know damn well I did.."

She huffed a quiet sigh, a weight of guilt on her shoulders. Leaving the glass on the ledge before heading to her chambers.

______

His daughter, on the other hand, was overjoyed to once again see her father.

"Vater! Oh, vater..- I've missed you."

It'd been too long since they'd last seen each other...

After being told the contents of her letter and of Karl's passing a hand presses to the aging Dame's mouth. Tears then trickle down her cheeks, wetting the blindfold that covers her eyes. "Oncle Karl...Ich vish I vas zhere vith vy." A sniffle then follows. "Ich vill..keep making vy proud Ich promise." 

Adrian, the friend who died many years ago, tackles the familiar man upon his entrance to the seven skies, "Aha! Finally you made it, we need to drink and banter like old times. It's been far too long."

Alfred received the letter, alongside the news of Karl's passing. He keeled over at his desk - slamming a hand & shattering a small jar of writing ink. He held himself there, for a moment. He hadn't seen Karl in years, decades even - and yet it still weighed upon his heart like a pile of bricks.

The Duke finally took time to read over what he'd been sent - having recuperated aptly enough. "A gift.." He spelled, lips pressing into thin lines - veiling a slight smile at the commendations levied upon him. "I ought to fetch you a bust - in our Palace, for your service, godfather." 

Finally, he unlocked a chest that dwelled within the corners of his chambers, high in Kanunsberg. From which - he removed a small bottle of Godsflame. Alfred turned upon his heels and departed, hastily leaving the safety of Minitz's towering walls. The man sought to seclude himself within the Langkette, bringing himself as close to Arturix the Frank's camp as possible. By which point - he'd hurl the potion at the walls of the camp in the dead of night, and promptly withdraw down to home.

Theoderic took his letter when his turn came and went into the entryway to the mines guarded by his family's keep. He sighed, and began reading. Once he finished, his eyes returned to one word; son and lingered there for some time. He stared at that word until the sound of a tear, or two hitting the page shook him from the trance he found himself in. Once he collected himself, he walked out to Vissingren's courtyard where he saw Artel making his way to the gate and joined him - nodding toward the man who had become his brother. No words needed to be shared in that moment, both knew they had a job to do, and were determined to see it completed. 

Aurel von Theonus took his letter last and held it close to his chest as he walked up the many stairs to the family's keep. He stepped toward the big chair in the hall when a thought struck him and stopped in his tracks. He decided to leave that chair empty. Deciding that in this moment it wasn't his, that it would be better to leave that seat empty out of respect for his great-grandfather - who would probably hate the gesture - and moved toward the small chair next to it. When he took his seat he read the letter once ... twice ... and a third time, trying to take in the simple advice as best he could. He then looked to his left through a window overlooking the courtyard where he saw his uncles meet. The young margrave decided to leave them to their task and instead walked farther into the keep, stopping at the various paintings depicting his great-grandparents. Then made his way to the top of the Rose Tower where he laid down amidst the garden planted and cared for by Annette and Karl and looked to the stars. "Like this garden, you both grew our family into quite the sight to behold. I hope I'm able to continue what you started." 

Andreas Ironsword Smiled seeing his old Friend join him and so many others in the Seven Skies "We meet again old friend"

Calla von Theonus didn't hear about Karl's death until after Theoderic had returned, through hushed words and bowed heads. After picking up the letter left to her husband, she shed several tears for the man who had always been there for her and Theo.

"I wish I was able to call him my father-in-law in life, but doing so now still feels right..."

Calla nursed a bottle of wine for the rest of that night, reminiscing about Karl and Annette, wishing she could have gotten to know them better than she did.

Frey sat upon a hill, letter in hand. “Took some time, didn’t it?” He chuckled softly. “Though I find myself wishing it took longer, much longer.” He said wistfully, staring at the ground. “But rest up, old friend. You deserve it, and I won’t forget my promise.

With his hands clasped behind his back, somewhere in the Seven Skies, stood Heinrich II Lothar. The palm of the late Lord Vandalore rose to his temple as he gave the retired Elector a militant salute "Here your duty ends, Freund. One day we will all meet again, in here." The Alstreim said before stepping forth to greet his friend properly

Silently an ancient woman of Waldenian origins sat upon the comforts of the seven skies, often gazing at a lifetime in what seemed like mere hours for her. This was how she fulfilled her time, having naught anyone to spend her paradise with. It was one day she sought to focus on that eccentric Waldenian youth, watching his life unfold before her very eyes. 

By the end of it all tears coursed down pale cheeks as the nimble woman wept. Eva Anna von Rovin, Queen of the Westerlands was touched. She felt joy for that stranger, she felt fear for that stranger, she at times felt envious of that stranger. What a loving and well-spent life she thought. She needed a break and for the next few decades she drew herself into isolation, only after making brief request her son Saint Caius would bless the man’s dynasty. What a charming life that man had lived.