"The will of the Lord's Church and thus Canon Law stand absolute,"

John of Aaun commented upon being told of the impending Synod, opting to make for prayer thereafter.

"And so the Synod shall speak for GOD, I am certain. Exalted Horen and Saint Julia pray for us."

5 minutes ago, Optimus420 said:

Istvan the Cattle Farmer who could not read nor write simply nodded along as if trying to understand was written, all he knew was that the missive bore the Pontiff's Seal therefore must be an important document, he then quietly said a prayer to himself!

His Holiness had heard about the legendary cattle farmer. He'd be sure to include some kind of cow pictures for the man at some point!

Ever a wise man, that Watcher remarks in isolation:

"Let he has who married cast the first opinion on marriage - for too long have those without Another dictated who others can marry. I will not have my private life dictated by a man who wears a strange hat and lives alone."

He returns to his study - emptied of books and comfort, with a map sprawled over pushed together tables and desks. It does not occur to him he is alone and talking to himself, thus concluding the circle of irony.

26 minutes ago, Sander said:

His Holiness had heard about the legendary cattle farmer. He'd be sure to include some kind of cow pictures for the man at some point!

Istvan of Ostoja, the supposed legendary cattle farmer received the copy of the Pontiff's missive with the imagery of what the missive detailed, he gave it a solid thumbs up!

[!] The Pharaoh pours over missive after missive involving the controversy swirling within Canonist circles about the homophilic matter. After tireless and exhaustive reading, Atemu finally puts down the latest missive from the church and shakes his head.

"It is evident the Church, and the Canonist-influenced nations, do not know what they believe or what it means to follow revealed truth over personal beliefs. We do not have this problem in Rah'tuma. The Gods are silent on such relationships and I, as Pharaoh, have no comment on them unless they involve the royal bloodline. All within our bloodline will marry the opposite sex to maintain the Pharonic lineage, but all other citizens of my city are called to act in a manner consistent with Ka'tau. So long as they are doing so, what do I care?

The church, however, seems to abandon it's own doctrines to conform to the personal feelings of its faithful. Another weakness within Canonism." The Pharaoh then puts away the missives and seeks refuge in the Temple of Purity, to pray to Hesthor about this issue and others.

Spoiler

This is a very tense issue and I see both sides. I prefer realism and I also prefer a strict seperation of OOC feelings from I.C. events to preserve the integrity of the storyline. For example, my response above reflects the sentiments of Ancient Egyptian culture, which was largely agnostic about same-sex relationships and activity, as was other ancient civilizations. But in medieval Europe, which is closer to the setting LOTC is in, that kind of behavior was condemned and punished. There were certainly cultures and groups in medieval times - many of them pagan  - who did not agree with the dominant perspective on sexuality and practiced it in their own ways. That is realistic. But it is far far less realistic for major Kingdoms that profess canonism to fully come out in support of what was thought of as untraditional and incorrect by the society at the time.

These are just my two cents. P.S.  - a gay player who happens to enjoy realism in his RP/fantasy settings.

"Those canonist princes stopped very short of schism, making demands of the Pontiff to change accepted doctrine. Everybody turned a blind eye to it for so long, they stupidly shone a light onto an issue that had been better left unattended for the hate filled peasants will now be hunting those who had previously lived peacefully." remarked Rhys.

4 hours ago, Child Neglecter said:

Hide contents

Disclaimer: My OOC opinions are entirely different from the opinions of my own character, but nobody should be persecuted OOC for the opinions of their character, no matter how wrong or prejudicial. 

It is not our goal on LOTC to have a 'perfect world'. Our make-believe world is far from perfect. Wars occur, people are killed, children are abandoned, politicians are corrupt, and so on. LOTC is not meant to be a utopia - characters who are for and against topics such as these IRP need to exist for the sake of realism itself. We can't just snap our fingers and have all of our characters believe these things - they're influenced by the realism of their time, and the people around them, to think as they have been taught to think. 

For those of you who do believe that one's IRP opinion on a matter can dictate their OOC opinion on a matter - you should take a break from the server, distance yourself from this place and realise that this is not your life. Not everything has to be perfect here - and those of you who DO believe such things should perhaps work on yourselves in real life.

This is what I said in my status update: 

"i'll be honest OOC and IRP should not merge at all in their opinions on same-sex marriage, it was viewed that way in the medieval times due to beliefs that it was wrong to not have children, and it's for that same reason that same-sex marriage is persecuted on LOTC in human societies (though this cannot be said for elven societies and other such societies, as it makes sense that, being able to have a longer life span, there is less of an emphasis on having children to continue your lineage) and i believe that we should stick to IRP time-accurate beliefs because these beliefs, no matter how wrong they were, made sense to the people that believed in them in those times. Going against these beliefs by means of influencing your character to think in a different way is inherently allowing your OOC opinion to influence your character - which is metagaming, effectively."

Spoiler

this guy knows what hes talkin about

"Imagine restricting your life based on what some wrinkled, near-dead, cross-dangling, geezers and their long dated book of cattle-herding preach!" Leikn stuck their tongue out at the very pitiful thought, laughing at the Canonists; going so far as to 'moo' toward one village priest indoctrinating local youth, believing that was how Flexio was spoken! 

"Classic Canonists.." Sydney shakes his head in pity. "They don' want anyone t'be happy. 's all about control."

------

"It's all about control." Katherine shares a similar sentiment. 

Her hands shake. She's confused. 

Her faith is cracking. The God who never cared for her will not be allowed to continue to make her feel this way.

Spoiler

wow its almost as if a lot of these views are genuinely harmful and have been used for centuries and people, especially ***** people, do not like them. personally, i use this for escapism, and do not need to hear the same things i hear from my family, protestors at college, state, government, etc in a funny block game. people are allowed to be upset ooc that this is being expressed because it uses harmful real life rhetoric that is used against them in their daily lives. some of us have to constantly be on edge about whether or not what is being said is really what they believe. i have had to leave communities in the past because of people using their roleplay characters as vessels for homophobic views! it happens! it's real! i get if that's not the intention, but homophobia is just not necessary for this setting IMO and i doubt many people that are not playing the homophobes have much fun with it. 

"Let us commence, then... It appears that my studies thus far have been fruitful.." Fr. Anton nods slowly, murmuring to himself in a composed manner, meticulously reviewing his papers which served him during his acolyte days of the past. He diligently prepares his notes for the impending Synod, thinking that it is a task every cleric should see to…

"It is good that we have such a wise pontiff, for may we never find ourselves wanting like these sinful few.."

Gottfried signed the cross and then bowed his head.

"...abide by God's law as interpreted and written by the church for many hundreds of years," an elderly man echoed in his solitary retirement abode. He had never married himself, as the Canon law's direct—and still apparent—prohibition had made it so. 

"It's a pity for those who attempt to speak for GODDAN and impose their own morality on scripture simply because they hold power to." He tossed aside the provided copy, adding aloud then before sipping his brew, "GODDAN instills in eam a love and compassion for mea fellow man. Ea see no sin in that, ag will keep my religion a personal matter between mea'self ag GODDAN—as is the nature of religion in itself. Ea do wish the same could be said by those of the Church' ag its clergymen who speak so loudly with pens in hand"

1 minute ago, Gutz said:

"...abide by God's law as interpreted and written by the church for many hundreds of years," an elderly man echoed in his solitary retirement abode. He had never married himself, as the Canon law's direct—and still apparent—prohibition had made it so. 

"It's a pity for those who attempt to speak for GODDAN and impose their own morality on scripture simply because they hold power to." He tossed aside the provided copy, adding aloud then before sipping his brew, "GODDAN instills in eam a love and compassion for mea fellow man. Ea see no sin in that, ag will keep my religion a personal matter between mea'self ag GODDAN—as is the nature of religion in itself. Ea do wish the same could be said by those of the Church' ag its clergymen who speak so loudly with pens in hand"

Liridona clutches her pearls at the idea that her cousin had a coherent, philosophical thought.

Acalmaehr looked at the article, shrugging and saying to themselves "And here I thought the Clergy was just the name of a homosexual tavern"