What does each Magic smell like?

Agy

What does Magic of any kind, or its many (usually morally dubious) power sources smell like?
Of course, from what I understand substances like liquid Mana/Lifeforce allow for them to be made physical and tangible, does this mean that they have a taste and or smell?
What about the taint of the void? Does ice conjured by a Voidal Mage smell any different by the one wielded and imbued by the magic of a Frost Witch? What about flames? Whether it be of Malflame or Dragonfire, or the Holy Light of Paladins and or Templars. Would a flower be any different to the sense after a Druid has tampered with it?

Yes, I woke up like an hour ago. Yes, I am aware of the risk I place upon myself of the consequences of such a controversial post.
But nontheless,  another will one day ask the same question irp and we will all look like fools when we are without answer, the truth must be revealed!

0uR51ZNV_6nrPnLURZpQisZmiPB60YirP3CCvTED

On a more serious note, while an emphasis is put on 'smelling', the rest of the senses are equally interesting. Answering that for example a Demi-Djiinn's magic brings about a certain taste akin to that of the mashed potatoes that your grandparent used to make when you were young...Certainly would change one's view on the magic itself. It's also really good for writing if we are being honest, having your character's own organs be roasted by dragonfire, would be a somewhat visceral experience and I do think discussing what the other senses would pick up other than merely the pain caused by it would always be really freaking interesting.

And small show of hands, this entire post is inspired by 'In Stars and Time' which I came around all the way back on December and has probably become one of my favorite stories in recent years. Within It's story whenever a certain magic took effect, a heavy smell of Burnt Sugar was noticed by the protagonist, growing all and more denser, potent and terrible as the story progressed, which I personally found really interesting and unique! Certainly made it feel more personal and memorable of an experience for me personally..

image.png?ex=65e1c7c3&is=65cf52c3&hm=712

(Good game, go play it, but  only after you respond to the post!!)

Edited by Agy
Must 'be' revealed.... S m h

i would like to think it smells like rain
especially after days, best smell frfr

Necromancy smells like rot. Obviously.
Bloomagic smells like iron. Obviously.

Oh and Lifeforce tastes like a very strong ambrosia. It's extremely addicting.

I think that auras should have scents - It'd be real cool!

11 minutes ago, StingyParrot said:

I think that auras should have scents - It'd be real cool!

Yeah that kind of thing!
When someone connects to their magic, It would be something that makes the air around them flow with the very magic they wield and weave about. Something other than being physically felt as a passing cold wind, or a emanating dreadful heat from them, but also be in the possession of a scent if not a taste (you get the idea)

Edited by Agy

Templarism smells like a pack of newports and a redbull.

12 minutes ago, Agy said:

Yeah that kind of thing!
When someone connects to their magic, It would be something that makes the air around them flow with the very magic they wield and weave about. Something other than being physically felt as a passing cold wind, or a emanating dreadful heat from them, but also be in the possession of a scent if not a taste (you get the idea)

Yeah! I got the idea from a book series called The Alchemyst.

Mysticism smells like wet dog and patchouli.

I feel like voidal magic would smell like really overwhelmingly strong mint. like clear your nostrils so hard it hurts to breathe for a bit mint 

Azdrazi and Heraldry I've often described as smelling of deep incense and ash, like charred bones. 

i always described voidmagic and magic in general to a lesser extent to have the scent of old books and dried flowers

40 minutes ago, creamynoteblock said:

all magic smells like body odor

Everyone already smells like body odor!
You are just describing the stinky mages, silly!!