Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTech

A Falcon Must Fly

A Falcon Must Fly

JIbpEwNiBu_jzmE4BV2Y2i_oViNCg5Hs1l6TVlFJrSVPoV_XClYC9aAJA4Byem4zVaGhciWxfcXp0EfDFdmnJa5rYGqzYtgFA0Rx9u1YobDfRq5ZSPIY6iMdsTgRT08DiP-7GCot

13th of Sun’s Smile, 1779 | 17th of Wzuvar and Byvca, 332 ES

From the castle of Ostrov, just west of the city of Reza, an old man gazed out at the distant Almannir Highlands over the ramparts with a sigh.

Sitting in a velvet armchair, Sir Konrad Stafyr KM found himself thinking about the past rather than about the future. It was strange, he thought to himself, as he gazed out at the sloping hills in the distance. For the vast majority of his life, he had always looked to the horizon for guidance, and still he did so.

But today, he thought about the past rather than the future. He thought about the long road that he had taken to get here, the many twists and turns that his life had taken, and just what a tremendous journey it had been.

He would have been perfectly content to have ascended to the position of Lord Speaker of the Royal Duma, for what was all that he had ever wanted. He pioneered parliamentary institutions in an era before the existence of an Imperial legislature, established precedents and procedures that would be used for decades into the future, and turned a dying fad into a body without which modern Haeseni politics could not exist.

Yet for some reason, a great many people had chosen to place their faith in him. Lerald Vyronov, Terrence May, Andrik III… And so, he had been given the great honour of being called upon to form a Government in the name of the King. 

Those were the happiest days of my life, Konrad thought to himself as he took a sip of black from a nearby mug.

As King Andrik’s Chancellor and Palatine, he had helped to lead the kingdom into the Haeseni Renaissance. Konrad distinctly remembered the excitement around the construction of New Reza, despite the colder, stoney feel reflected in the designs. But despite the stoic feeling of the new Highlander city, it was a roaring economic success. 

He remembered the night of the birth of Andrik IV, the only night that his good friend Andrik III had ever praised him. And he remembered how he searched for Andrik’s queen and that very same child with his most beloved squire, Ser Alaric Hanethor of Nenzing, eventually culminating in his recovery as the direct result of such.

And he remembered the horrors of the Great Fire of Reza, in which the old city was burnt to the ground. He had been in command of the Haeseni armies on that day, and he had directed the soldiers to fight like hell, standing alongside them as they safeguarded the citizens of Reza within those halls. It was one of  his proudest moments.

Positioned on the banks of Lake Milena, New Reza had proven to be at least four times as prosperous as the city of Old Reza. As Haeseni continued to grow, and as the roaring kingdom continued to recover in the days before the Rubern War, he remembered the glory of those days. The days before the war… The days before that first skirmish at Rubern, after which he had decided to resign to make way for new leadership.

He had gone into retirement during most of the reign of Andrik IV, unable to face the horrors of war again as he had in his youth during the War of the Two Emperors. Konrad knew that deep down, despite being a military knight, he had never been a soldier. His greatest strength always did lie in the power of the quill rather than of the blade.

Eventually, he did resume his career however, this time as an Imperial Senator. He would serve in the Diet for well over twenty years, with his career culminating in his ascension to the Presidency of the Commons, a most prestigious position held by his good friend Terrence May twice before.

That is, until he could no longer endure the burden of such…

6ydhhowJSGJVnz8s3DatHhtff6GGldfiA2ASZLNORrK9V16CMT459Zror3Zy7K989Bov7R30w1S273lOr2U_XRBCvhf99kG9jkoVHSoQbPjxQmPE9M13g-Wr6H0qz23qurKsRhm2

Recovering from his recent heart attack late at night in the Hospital of Helena, the elder statesman sighed as he continued to read from a book on the Collapse of the Fifth Empire. 

What a tragedy… He thought to himself, for the fall of the Fifth Empire was a reminder of how all good things must come to an end. Time was a foe against which no man could prevail, and Konrad knew this ever so well. There wasn’t a man or an institution in Arcas that could stand fully against the wrath of it, although he liked to think that some of the ones that he was more fond of were

His daughter, the Countess of Leuven, had comforted him throughout the night before returning to her duties as the Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs. Gray Galbraith, one of his favorite clerks in the House of Commons, had also come by to keep him company after the incident that had transpired at Varoche Hall. So too had his great niece, young Irene Ruthern, come to offer her best wishes to him and to express her great admiration for his work. 

While Isabel’s presence had done much to comfort him throughout the ordeal, the appearance of these two young people at his bedside had clearly touched his soul. It was the younger generation, made up of men like Gray and of women like Irene, who were the future of the world. He was pleased that he had been able to leave an impression upon them, as his mentor Georg had upon him so many years ago. There was nothing quite like mentoring the next generation, and it had been one of the old knight’s favorite past times throughout the years.

Suddenly, a young nurse rounded the corner, a clipboard in her hands.

“Sir Konrad… Doctor Napier told me to speak to you, before your nephew comes to discharge you from the hospital tomorrow.”

“Eh?” The old man replied in a quiet manner, lowering his book as he glanced over to the woman. “Ah… Very well then, lass. Do go on.”

“Sir Stafyr-”
The woman paused for a moment, clearly lost for words as she dipped her head in a respectful manner. “-Doctor Napier told me to inform you that this heart attack of yours… You very nearly didn’t make it through.”

“I am quite well aware,” The old man replied with a chuckle, glancing down at his book. “I suppose that I might have become rather stressed with the representatives, madam. I’m afraid that it is very hard to encourage them to show up to the Commons to fulfill their elected duties. No matter how hard I try, they never seem to-”

“-Sir,”
The nurse interrupted the old man with a sigh. “If you have another heart attack like this again, you will almost certainly not survive. Your medical history seems to show that you have had one like this before, correct?”

“Aye… My young daughter gave me quite the scare a decade or so ago, but I haven’t had any problems since,” Konrad nodded along in affirmation.

“Yes, that is quite normal, Sir Stafyr. Sometimes, issues such as these lie dormant for many years, often resurfacing later in life,” The young nurse replied faintly. 

“Such as now, either triggered by a rush of adrenaline or a severe reaction to stress. I’m afraid that it could happen again at any time, Sir Stafyr, and I’m afraid that nobody can predict when that might be.”

Sighing, the old statesman lowered his book. “Then pray tell, what would you have me do, lass? What would the doctors have me do?”

“You need rest, sir…”
She replied faintly. “And lots of it, in an environment with fresh, open air. The excitement and stresses of the Diet are many, and I’m afraid that such a reaction could be triggered again at any given time.”

“Hmph…” The old man grunted. “...How convenient, I was in the process of planning my retirement anyway. Thank you, lass. I’ll take this ‘advice’ to heart.”

4t3IIUhU2tqe3tAmqQdlw7KAZXZVGUn3fQwmWgGvAAQsxEN70D4xvY77nO8Uu83n4WQdtAwMZDDXWSN2Lh6LTqtUpnuYgynJIocf2JtzcsqP6km3D5Zcv-H75Rt_28YKXF6MHGyM

And so, Konrad was now here, retired from the Diet and from government service for the first time in nearly sixty years. As time continued to pass, the once strong Almannir found that his physical state had begun to slowly deteriorate. Ever since his last heart attack, he had simply not been his old self. He knew now that the end was coming, and had thus endeavoured to set his affairs in order over the last few years.

A feeling of worthlessness had overcome him ever since the death of his most beloved friend, Wilheim Barclay. With his passing, all of his old friends had now since passed onto the Seven Skies. He knew not why God had chosen to grant him such a long life, for Stafyr males were notorious for dying young. Even Saint Godwein had died during his sixties. In fact, according to the Chronicles of the Almannir, Konrad was indeed by far the oldest known male in Stafyr history.

The bicentennial of Haense had transpired just a few months back, yet save for a few old souls such as Otto Kortrevich, who had recently passed onto the Seven Skies as well, there was hardly among them that Konrad had recognized. He had socialized with Andrik’s son Rupert for the occasion’s duration, a Haeseni prince with whom he had forged a strong relationship over the years.

What was odd was that much of this younger generation had never known what it was like to have endured an offensive war against Haense or the Empire, a reality which had brought a smile to Konrad’s face. The festivities were glorious and the celebrations magnificent, and he was glad that he had been in attendance.

The last public event that he had attended had been just two months prior, when he managed to find the energy to hobble into the Basilica of the Fifty Virgins to witness the wedding of his final prodigy, Sir Konstantin Wick, to Andrik’s granddaughter, the Princess Alexandria. He made sure to offer the seemingly nervous Palatine and Regent of the kingdom a soft smile of encouragement and a thumbs up, which seemed to calm him down enough to finish the deed.

These thoughts drifted through Konrad’s mind as he rose to his feet. This was to be a very special day, for he had been asked by the current Lord Speaker of the Duma to preside over the body during his absence. As a former Speaker himself of both the Duma and the Commons, Sir Osvald had reached out to him to preside over the chamber during his absence.

And so, affixing the ancient direwolf aegis that he had sworn never to remove in public to his shoulders, he set off toward the Royal Duma hall. Perhaps this was just the thing that he needed to uplift his spirits?

4y1b6W-imxHBKcEkr9utLSSwMKgi-NN3B-06AXjoQJraLgkzcp6M5jjFNWClpejHWvpXBQ4swbcO4uz7ubiA-ubI2Mnre0VzxDyW7hj9tr6pKMM3dugf5_yo8-kuandauj20J9PL

The Ekaterinburg Palace was just as Konrad remembered it. Although Queen Viktoria had taken to greatly beautifying the place under the reign of King Sigismund II, the palace itself had not changed much over the last forty years. 

As Konrad stepped into the Duma Hall, he could not help but to smile as he passed by his portrait in the cloakroom. 

“Was I really that young once?” He murmured aloud to himself, hesitating but for a moment as he continued toward the doors of the Royal Duma.

The old statesman paused one final time as he hobbled forth with his cane, standing before the Horologium Haeseticus. He smiled faintly as he gazed upon the old clock, which had been in the cloakroom since before he was a child.

And then, he stepped forth into the chamber.

The session was an uneventful one, in which a pair of bills were discussed. One was a very controversial bill, advocating for the removal of the Ferro Freehold, and the other a bill listing out clear protocols for declaring a state of emergency.

Sir Konrad moderated the session in the same expert manner that he was accustomed to, and when he wasn’t doing so, he focused on folding sheets of parchment up into origami birds. It was an artform that he had learned during his first period of retirement, one that he had learned in Helena that had helped him to relieve stress during legislative sessions. Today, he was working on creating a falcon, a symbol of the House of Stafyr that had been used for generations.

As the session came to a close, he found himself grinning from ear to ear. It felt so good to be back here, in the place where he belonged. The representatives admired him so. Here, he was loved, he was a larger than life figure, even though he knew that he most assuredly wasn’t.

As the session came to a close, Konrad knew that he had to say something. This might be the last time that he ever sat in the Royal Duma, the body that he so loved, the place where he belonged. And so, he cleared his throat and asked the Haeseni lords to remain for just a few moments longer.

“I will make this brief… Well over fifty years ago, Georg Stanimar and I took to crafting this magnificcnet body, a grand experiment in both democracy and parliamentary procedure. His Majesty’s Royal Duma is the oldest and longest lasting legislature in all of humanity. 

But, it is not Stanimar and I whom we owe the resolution and strength of this institution to. It is all of you. Your Houses, which have attended this Duma for so many years… The bills which have carefully crafted, despite having other obligations to this kingdom.

A Duma is not one man, it is not one woman. It is made up of a kingdom or, more accurately, it is the kingdom’s voice. And I have ever so grateful to Sir Osvald for allowing me to chair this sitting of the Royal Duma today. It has made an old man quite happy-”

Suddenly, he felt a familiar pain in his chest. His heart had frozen up, his pulse growing sporadic as it missed several of it’s normal beats. Sir Konrad slumped forward in his chair, his eyes bulging as the pain swept over him. And in that moment, he saw a vision.

A vision of all his old friends. King Andrik III, Georg Stanimar, Ulric and Lerald Vyronov, Otto Sigmar, Wilheim Barclay…

...And family as well. Leopold, Erich, and Alaric Stafyr. His brother, Artos, and his cousin Ser Gerard. But before all of them all was the splitting image of Saint Godwein, a figure who had lived nearly three hundred years before that he had prayed to for success very regularly.

And Saint Godwein smiled. So did the others. Even Andrik offered Konrad a hearty grin.

“-It- It has been an honor to serve this kingdom in such a way… Once m-more…” Sir Konrad murmured as his eyes began to close.

The lords were now surrounding the elder statesmen. One of them was desperately attempting to restart his heart, the others trying to fan him off and force him back into consciousness. Isabel, who had been obsesrving from the stands, rushed over to him and desperately called out his name. An all too familiar scene, exactly that which had transpired just a few years before at Varoche Hall.

But it was to no avail. His pulse continued to fade away until, at long last, it was gone.

Sir Konrad Stafyr, who had never proposed a bill that failed to gain a majority of votes or asset, a man who pioneered the institution of the Royal Duma and set in place many of Haense’s public services and bureaucratic apparatuses, a former Speaker, Palatine, and President, and a knight of the Imperial Order of Merit and of the Royal Orders of the Lily and Crow, was dead.

lL7zId_nufosMibAsaSlMsUsLAJ5meMLCLIbQrpu5P1ygIMN3yYnS09yF7KXYrGIubtBoW4-e4UStW5zHsGz252CrSyINH1MoC739OAKDfNGljILu8sjBjJZcLUi5lDt9mlCGw6z

RIP

Sir Konrad “Wolfsbane” Stafyr KM

(1701 - 1779)

[!] Letters are distributed to a number of individuals… [!]

Spoiler

Kamilla Stafyr @Sawona

“My Dearest Doe,

For nearly sixty years, you have been unwaveringly at my side, and I at yours. I never knew what I did to deserve you, but I am glad that God had seen it fit to bring the two of us together when he did.

I made you a promise, long ago. It was that I would always come back to you, and I have endeavored to do so to the best of my ability. You are the love of my life, yes, but you are so much more than that. We are a team, Kamilla, complementary to one another. When we have set our hearts and our minds to achieving our goals, nothing has been impossible.

I look forward to welcoming you into the Seven Skies, when next we meet again, for I intend to keep that promise that I made to you on our wedding day. ‘Until death do us part’ be damned, we shall one day be reunited, and I shall not break my promise that I have made to you.

Until then, do take care, and do try to comfort Isabel the best you can. She adores you so, and she will need you before you join me in the Seven Skies.

With Love,

Konrad”

Spoiler

Isabel de Falstaff @Rayna Star

“Dearest Isabel,

I love you ever so much, my little princess. I always have, and I always will. The day that you came into this world was the happiest day of my life. 

The joy that you have provided me with over the years has been immeasurable. The love that you have for others unending, your good nature vast, and your resolve unwavering. You have gone through many hardships over the course of your life, more than anyone should, yet you have endured each and every one of them to rise from the ashes and soar above the clouds as falcons do.

Words cannot express how proud I am of you. You are truly my child, and nothing means more in the world to me than you. Please continue to do great things, and teach your children to aspire to reach for the stars beyond in all that they do.

With Love,

Father”

Spoiler

Johanna Amador @Disheartened

“Dearest Johanna,

While I am aware that we have drifted apart in recent years, you should know that I have always loved you, and have only ever wanted what was best for you. 

I am sorry for the stresses which I put you through so many years ago, for locking you into a marriage that you were not the most thrilled with because of my pride. You were always the baby of the family, but you were a fighter as well. Your heart is stronger than that of any knight, and I have no doubt in my mind that you can strive to achieve the impossible even now.

You always looked up to me, always loved me, and I know not why. But I am proud to call you my daughter, and I wish you all the best as you continue to live life to the fullest. Never change, never yield, and remain true to who you are.

With Love,

Father”

Spoiler

Hektor Stafyr @nathanbarnett36

“Dearest Hektor,

While I’m afraid that we never had an opportunity to grow close due to my tenure as President of the Commons in Helena, I have great faith in your ability to lead our family into a new era, into new frontiers.

I beg of you to never forget who you are, what we are, as Almannir. Our people is a proud one, and our heritage rich. We must remain true to ourselves and to the traditions of our House, even as we serve our lieges with the utmost fidelity, honor, and loyalty.

Your father would be proud of you, Hektor. I wish you luck.

With Regards,

Konrad”

Spoiler

Katherine Ruthern @sirenscall_

“Katherine,

I am ever so proud of what you have become, since those blissful days of youth at Nenzing. You have served as the consort to a proud House, and are now grandmother to the King of Haense. 

Leopold would be proud to have seen what you have become, and in many ways, you remind me exactly of him. Your life has been a good, eventful one, as has mine. I raised you as one of my own, and I am proud to say that you are a true falcon of the utmost variety. Keep on soaring.

With Love,

Konrad”

Spoiler

Jonah Stahl-Elendil @Braehn Elendil An'Hiraeth

“Jonah,

I didn’t think that it would be possible for me to make new friends at my age, when the old Imperial Senate was first reformed into the House of Commons. But I did, and I am proud to call you one of my good friends.

While I am sad to have seen my son-in-law retire from the position of Vice Chancellor, I am glad to know that his successor was a man who was honorable, as strong, and as competent as yourself. You are a good man, Jonah, and I do believe that you are yet to do great things in your life. Keep on reaching for greater things.

With Regards,

Konrad”

Spoiler

Konstantin Wick @Xarkly

“Konstantin,

I have had dozens of prodigys during my life. You were the last one that I ever took, but you have proven yourself to have been one of the greatest.

When I first came to know the Wicks, you were living in the gutters like rats. As I grew closer to your family however, I came to see that despite all of your eccentricities, you Wicks are the most loyal, headstrong, and steadfast people that I have ever known.

You are Palatine, and that is a difficult position to be filling. Yet you are also Regent, and thus you are filling the duties of both Palatine and King. Hang in there, and surround yourself with others as you strive to lead the kingdom through these hard times along the road to recovery.

And also, don’t forget about your family either, even as you work toward building a better tomorrow for both our kingdom and our empire.

With Regards,

Konrad”

Spoiler

Terrence May @Piov

“As I was your mentor in the halls of the Royal Duma, you became mine in those of the Varoche. Once, we were fierce political rivals, competitors, and I know full well that we have not always been as close as we are now.

Regardless, I cannot imagine having taken this journey without you, my old friend, and I am proud to have been by your side as we have served together in the Imperial legislature. Sorry we never got to go fishing together, but I hope you’ll catch a trout or two for me before we finally get to do so together up here!

With Regards,

Konrad”

Spoiler

Armande de Falstaff @cruzazul

“Armande,

You are the best son-in-law that a man could ever hope for, and I am glad that you married my daughter. I am proud of all that you have achieved, and I look forward to seeing what you and my grandchildren shall do in the coming future.

You were always like a son to me, and I am glad that you and Isabel found each other. Keep herself, hold her close, and continue to do great things.

With Regards,

Konrad”

Spoiler

Gray Galbraith @MrChenn1

“Gray,

You were one of my most loyal clerks, and one of the few people who came to see me in the hospital after my second heart attack in Helena. 

I am glad to have met you, and I would like to once again reiterate that it is youths like yourself who shall lead this empire and all of the peoples who live within it in the coming years. Keep on working hard, and I’m sure that great things shall come your way in the future.

With Regards,

Konrad”

Spoiler

Simon Basrid @Cracker

“Your Excellency,

We have known each other for many years now, and you have always treated me with great dignity and respect. You have always called me by my moniker of ‘Wolfsbane’, which is a title that I have proudly held since the War of the Two Emperors. In turn, I have always respected you, for I believe you to be a man of great honor who has led a life very similar to that of my own. I wish you all the best, and bid you farewell.

Sincerely,

Sir Konrad Stafyr”

Spoiler

King Josef I @CaptainHaense

“Your Royal Majesty,

I have been proud to have served the Barbanovs for well over four generations. It has been a great honor to have seen five different kings on the throne of Haense, and I have endeavored to serve each of them to the best of my abilities.

It is one of my chief regrets that we never came to know each other better, for you seem like you are a good lad, and I have high hopes for your reign as you come of age. Remain humble, and avoid the vices of vanity, and I have no doubt that you shall excel as our seventeenth monarch.

Sincerely,

Sir Konrad Stafyr”

Posted (edited)

Isabel de Falstaff sits alone at the dining table of Ostrov Keep. One of her trembling hands clutches the letter her father addressed to her, its parchment speckled by teardrops. The other holds a paper falcon, the last thing Konrad ever created.

“Oh, Papej…”

Tears threaten to resurface in Isabel’s grey eyes, and she lets out a slow, saddened sigh. It’s hard for her to imagine that her father is truly gone. They’d had fifty-eight years together, and yet it still feels as though their time was cut too short.

Throughout his life, Konrad had always done his best to balance his dedication toward his work with his love for his family. One of Isabel’s earliest memories was hearing about the Duma where her father worked. She was nearly six years old, if memory served her right. There was the swishing and twirling of her skirts, the sound of her laughter like a little silver bell, and the feel of her tiny hand in his. He had taken her the next day to watch the session, and after…

“Can I help sometime? I want to sit up there with you, Papej!”

Her father’s smile had been the widest she had ever seen, his love and pride for her clearly evident.

Then, over half a century later, that same smile had faltered. Her father had died in the Speaker’s seat of the Duma, the same seat that had inspired a young daughter to pursue greatness. A paper falcon had been cradled in his grasp, and the words he’d written on it brought her consolation now, just as they had on that fateful day.

“For Isabel. Never forget how much I love you, my little falcon.”

Isabel shifts her gaze from the paper falcon to the letter he had left for her, a phrase of it catching her eye.

“…you have endured each and every one of them to rise from the ashes and soar above the clouds as falcons do.”

Despite her tears, Isabel’s quivering lips turn upward as she remembers her father’s long life, full of achievements. She would endeavor to keep smiling and rise above her grief as her dear father would have wished, comforted by the fact that he died doing what he loved: Making a difference in the world.

Rest in peace, Papej, and know that your little falcon loves you.

Edited by Rayna Star

Lerald welcomes Konrad into the seven skies. “Took you long enough...”

Posted (edited)

Nikolaus observed the once-young squire ascend to the top of the staircase as he entered the seven skies. Upon his arrival, Nikolaus’ ever-stoic visage turned to an at-ease expression as Konrad reunited with his loved ones.

“Since your youthful adolescent years of squireship to your young adulthood as you obtained knighthood to and throughout your long life, you have forever and always placed your kin and kingdom before anything else. Never have you forsaken an oath, Never have you forgotten where you originated from, Never have you turned down your responsibilities to any position you put yourself in. For those reasons alone, you stood and will be remembered as a prominent Haeseni patriot who served his nation in every which way. Now Konrad, join me in reuniting with your loved ones as you help guide those you’ve left behind to a state of everlasting peace and prosperity.”

Edited by Zanthuz

Elizabeth Calistovich, formally known as Senator Gwynnestri Elwitt Green of Curon, cries aloud upon hearing the death of one of her close friends. First her husband is missing, and now Konrad is gone.

Arianne Helvets cracked a grin upon meeting the Stafyr in the Seven Heavens.  “Pah, there you are, you old coot.  I’ve been waiting to join you on that hunt you had promised me, many years ago.  What do you say?”

*Would give a solemn moment of scilence for the man, as they were good acquaintances and Marcus even considered him a good friend* ”Rest well, I hope ye’r cane will still serve.. Say hi to the others for me....”

“This is not just a sad day for the Kingdom of Haense. This is a sad day for all the Holy Orenian Empire, regardless of the province. Rest in peace, old friend.” Sir Edward Galbraith would sign the Lorraine as he hears the news.

The elfess reviews the news of Konrad’s death and exhaled softly. There was much chaos and strife but he moved on at last, somewhere where there were people waiting for him. She wiped a few tears out of her eyes with the pad of her thumb, sniffling quietly. The haze of incense seemed to drift away as she stared onwards. There was no reason to be sad, but she felt a little pang of regret for having not been able to be there more for him.

“Say hello to Wil for me, you old fool.. And don’t get impaled with anymore wood!”

The laughter was bittersweet as her head lalls to the side, her eyes falling closed.  She was an elf, she would live long enough to see the rise and fall of generations to come of her friends. And that was alright.

Andrik stares at his old Lord Palatine coming into the Seven skies “With yer shitty fightin’ ow’ the feck did ye survive this long!?” he’d then grunt as he nodded to the man “I hope ye’ ad’ a happy life, ye bastard” before drunkenly passing out in gods favorite rose bush

Milena Ekaterina had  known the Sir since her youth, and since then, the man had served as a guiding hand all throughout her tenure as Queen consort of the Haeseni realm. Through every triumph, success, and error, be it of the state or of motherhood, he had been there. In death, she heralded his presence with joy and praise, flanked presumably by the familiar scions of House Carrion and Bihar. 

”It is your time, Konny. You served well, having beared a legacy that will forevermore be untainted; now, you may rest.”

Posted (edited)

A frown would form on Katherine Ruthern’s face as she read the letter from her cousin, that had been sent to her after his passing. And as she sat in her room in Metterden, her hands folded in her lap and her view drifting into the distance, an all too familiar feeling spread throughout her body. Grieve and Sorrow seemed to be a constant companion of the aged Stafyr. She had lost many loved ones and one would say Katherine should've gotten used to it by now, but it didn't tend to get better.

Her gaze wandered away from the letter resting in her hand and outside the window facing the small lake behind Metterden. Konrad had been a father figure to her late brother Erich and her. When the siblings were all alone in the world, he sacrificed part of his youth to take them on. She remembered their families dinners. The Games she played with them and the letters that had been exchanged during Konrads travels. Konrad was a spark of light that guided Katherine through the darkness that was called her life. Someone familiar in a Kingdom that had grown distant over the years.

After her brother passed Katherine swore to herself that she wouldn't cry again, but as she sat there salty tears would start streaming down her cheeks. And like so many years prior, after her father's demise, you could occasionally hear a sleeping Katherine crying out for those lost.

RFh5js5.png

Edited by sirenscall_

Posted (edited)

“Konrad Stafyr was a good politician and a good friend, I send my condolences to his family.” Vivaca Rutledge said, fighting back the tears. 

Edited by ApplePieKathy

“A true Pioneer for Humanity. Rest well, we’ll hold things down for you down here.” Says a saddened Philip Louis, remembering his days in the Commons. He’d sign the Lorraine before returning to his work. 

Up in the Seven Skies, the young Leana Stafyr pauses her eternity of playing, rushing to greet her dear cousin. ”Konrad! Konrad!” The girl calls from behind the crowd who gathered to meet him. She’d weave around in the gathering towards him, her small frame making it quite easy. ”Konrad!” She exclaims as she finally reaches him, tugging on his arm. ”Can we play pirates now? I’ve been waiting forever!”

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this