Alone and Sublime

Tap, tap, tap, tap.

His fingers were rapping against the wood again. The same droning sound, slow and methodical, like that dreadful creaking; perhaps that awful sound had drilled itself into his very motions. The crackle of ashes and crumbling wood roused him occasionally. Viktor var Ruthern had sat silently in that room, next to the very last place he had spoken to his mother, for God know's how long. First, he had deigned to pray in church, but now... perhaps he longed for her company, still.

Over the years, he had come to realise many faults of his parents both, and yet...

"Ea lied, and Ea was wrong. Ea still had questions to ask."

A hand came up to hold his face, and he returned to that lonely silence. He could not stay like this, he knew, but he wanted to at least a little longer.

Edited by ContestedSnow

Sobbing, that was all Andrik would hear through the manor's walls as he lay awake all through the night, staring at the cieling. The last conversation he had with his mother raced through his mind over and over, various scenarios playing through his head, I could've talked her out of it, how did we not notice this was coming?

The last image Andrik would have of his mother would be her suffering, one of the last things she had said to him was that he was a disappointment. He was used to being called a disappointment from the Duke, but not his mother, she always had his back; he must've royally messed up to gain her ire.

"I will miss you, I am sorry I disappointed you. I promise I will change."

Andrik promised as he lay awake, restless and without sleep, this would be a promise he will keep.

Edited by ReveredOwl

q0fy5MQwUhu0ulLeb6R0Dtf-VReodjowwbA-gWXng9k0Tjsh-nz1LRE1Nngi6i58kOVbMXMz0asKsr2yec7lVINca4yMVTNyRWly8MZtlm5ifW4Pl8kkVlZ1D9jzgRmKv_uSV-O1cB4YH_Rix1Yw4sk

[Karl Pavlovich]

ZfmaLNHQVCJN354_keLbgZqbiq7Bo7iaYilWlo0ccihRaJIJK9R6bxMeiTOevwA9pxYyJOjgprW6Lsn3EryjoRB18B_4-ASEpnd0pHYhleE1RvUzRYvSpN26VGD_a8guGNST8zkp6WDVvduEwSVQrxk

“... You know, you truly have taken after me.”

Those words from her father brought an eager and joyous smile to ALEKSANDRA’S face. What better glory could there be than to remind the world of her mighty namesake? She was able to take pride in all things, so long as she carried his approval. Hearing him compare her brief accomplishments to her other siblings never failed to instill some excitement in her soul. However, approval was not so easy when it came to her MOTHER. To look down at her daughter and see all the worst she despised about herself and her husband churned her stomach at times.

She was born just as indignant, and perhaps a bit more violent — violence hashed out indiscriminately, towards even the most minor of inconveniences. She was nothing like the angelic sister her mother adored so much. And the Ruthern was skilled at concealing just how much she hated that fact. Following her death, it was then that Aleksandra felt as if she had somehow taken her place — as a daughter, at least. All responsibility the late Elizaveta had was instead pushed to her brother. But unlike him, Aleksandra had something to prove.

She could show her mother now that she was the strongest, the most competent, the most graceful. Worthy of all love and praise. If she used her intelligence to find an alchemical cure for her mother's ailment, she would get that. That was all she wanted. To be so constantly competitive in all that time somehow changed her, perhaps for the better. Analiesa told her that day that she had taken notice.

Why, then, couldn’t she have only waited until it was done?

How cruel of her mother, to cut her own life short right before her eyes. Her eyes turn to the rope with nothing but horror.

At the steps to the Ruthern Manor, the goddaughter to Analiesa approached with a weak smile. It had been a tiresome month, but she came to accept the death of her King; her fatherly figure who she held dear. With it, she wished to speak to the Princess Royal and offer her condolences. Family must comfort each other, after all.

The solace that the Duchess felt left as quickly as it came, for when she arrived, Ser Vladimir carried Analiesa. She was lifeless in his arms, and her neck was bruised. At his side was their Queen, Amaya of Venzia, who quivered from the sight that Roslin now too witnessed.

"Is this a nightmare?" Her face paled, but she dared not speak her thoughts. Instead, she walked alongside them to the Everardian Basilica to mourn her alone, filled with regret. If only she could have spoken to the Princess more, perhaps she might have lived for at least another day. 

"Her poor children..."

Spoiler

I don't have a character who can write an rp reponse but I just want to say that Analiesa is my favorite character in Haense and I've loved seeing her develop. Will forever be one of my favorite characters from LOTC!

wwowoowoowowowowoowowo

MARIUS AUDEMAR amidst his vast exploration of the realm caught word of  the news. His heart only able to swell with grief. Albeit a formidable figure to some, known for his strength and resilience, his family was the ultimate cornerstone of his existence. A cornerstone which had gradually been chipped away from. First, his beloved parents, the sword and shield that fortified his spirit departed from the realm - leaving him with none but his siblings. Then, his dear brother Georg, who was Marius' hope for his ancestral home had succumb to the cruel hand of fate. And now, Analiesa, the woman who lead her family in ways Marius could only dream to replicate... had left it all behind.

Their relationship had been a complex tapestry of sibling rivalry, fraught with childhood squabbles and evolving into adult quarrels. Though they did have their moment.. These burdens of each other -- these burdens of life -- had etched marks upon their souls, shaping them into the individuals they each became, until their departure. 

"I would brand you selfish, dear sister, if only I did not envy the love you're now embraced with among the stars. I wish I'd fought you harder on it . . . one of my few battles lost." Marius murmured to the skies, his voice laced with both sorrow and longing, he could only hope she listened. "Farewell, sweet Analiesa. I carry the weight of countless regrets. I pray your forgiveness."

With a final, lingering gaze at the sky, Marius allowed his glassy eyes to shatter, embracing the ache of recent times losses. He would continue on his path in this world forever altered. Counting his days.

Heinrich II Lothar, the Prince of Merryweather, spent a lot of time with mourning Aleksandra in the basilica, comforting her after the loss of her mother. Henry's six-year relationship did not help him understand his future mother-in-law, but perhaps he simply chose not to try and understand? Little did it matter now. The Waldenian Prince knew one thing - he had to be strong for his wife-to-be. With such conviction, he stood silently by her side for as long as she needed him to...

Upon the discovery of her newly granted divorce gone public, Adelajda vas Ruthern would exit her room for the first time in years in search of her childhood best friend and sister in law, a bright smile beaming upon her face. This happiness, however, did not last as she was met with a loss she had not sought out. 

Fabian d'Arkent-Kortrevich sits alone at his desk; where he has mourned his father, and his uncle, and now his aunt. He is not yet thirty; though heavy with a hundred regrets, not the least of which that he had never truly known the Princess now gone. She had been formidable and beyond him in his youth; then, when they might have stood on some even ground, he had always assumed the time would simply.. come.

It had not.

And now, his knee aching from a wound wrought by her youngest daughter's blade; his eyes damp with tears for the woman lost, it never would.

Amaya Milena, Queen of Haense, stumbled into the Ruthern manor as Aleksandra's shrill, agonizing wails of grief pierced the very atmosphere itself, it seemed. The world spun, as the Queen turned her bleary gaze towards the skies above. She uttered a prayer.

Meanwhile, Viorica wept for a friend long lost, ruminating on words never spoken.

Vladimir carried Analiesa to the Basilica slowly, it was a sad reality he was coming to terms with as he carried her lifeless corpse. I wish... his thoughts ran rampant, I wish I had more time. There was much more I wanted to say. He closed her eyes, the last time he would ever see those beautiful emerald eyes. The pain was too much for him to bear, but he had to be strong.

"Vladimir, promise me you will protect the children..." 

"I... I promise." He responded with hesitation. He had hoped he could save her, to ward off the impending darkness of death, but he knew all too well. Once Analiesa had decided something, nothing short of God's own power could stop her. The two shared a kiss, and at the one point, it seemed that all the chaos between them, all the fire, the storms, all of it had calmed down. There was nothing but the two of them. Analiesa was floating away from him, as Vladimir stood in his spot, unable to save her. "Perhaps in another life, we were married..." 

Analiesa nodded her head, but stayed quiet. This would be the last time the two would ever see each other, at least in life. Vladimir kept his eyes to the floor as he exited the manor, he hoped that when he died, the two would reunite, but that would hopefully come later. In the end, they did not depart as Ser Vladimir, the Knight Paramount, and Her Serene Highness, Analiesa Josefina, the Princess Royal. 

It was Ana and Vlad... 

Katia Godunov, the mentioned betrothed of the late Analiesa's eldest son, Viktor, sat static, in expression and body, within her own home upon word of the news reaching her. She reminisced of their first meeting in Karosgrad, and later the Karosgrad siege, their stay at the monastery. She truly knew not of  Princess Royal well, beyond stories and passing rumors, but she had held a deep, overwhelming respect for her even still.

Later that day, she herself wandered to the Ruthern manor, deigning a faint, sympathetic smile in search of her fiancée.